xkcd-ians Recommendations for Graphing Calcs...

The school experience. School related queries, discussions, and stories that aren't specific to a subject.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Mike_Bson

Re: xkcd-ians Recommendations for Graphing Calcs...

Postby Mike_Bson » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:14 am UTC

TheKrikkitWars wrote:
Mike_Bson wrote:
TheKrikkitWars wrote:Are you aware of the TI-Nspire CAS (touchpad version) which offers more power, memory and an improved CAS over the voyage 200, in a less awkward form factor?

Can that do all of the things/have all the features of the voyage?

TI-Nspire is a much more powerful CAS than the Derive system that powers the Ti92/89/Voyage, I believe the touchpad version has a full qwerty keypad again (only small and blackberry like, not massive), Also there is a significant hardware upgrade (modern ARM processor, way more memory, SD slot rather than 2.5mm jack, etc...) Worth looking into more.

I hear the Voyage can do 3D graphs. The Nspire can do that, too, right?

TheWindWaker01

Postby TheWindWaker01 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:56 am UTC

On the high school level anything above a TI-84 is probably unnecessary. But whatever you want, some more fancy ones may have uses that will help you understand things better.

oracle989

Postby oracle989 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:36 am UTC

In high school, I'd suggest a TI-83/84. For college, classes where you CAN use a calculator in my experience let you use any calculator. I have an 84 Plus an an nSpire (not the CAS version). I prefer the 84 to the nSpire. If you aren't going all in on the CAS, the nSpire is next to worthless. It's far less capable than the 89, and only slightly better than an 84.

Also, what are people's thoughts on HPs? I'm looking at getting either an TI-89 or an HP 50G.
Ulc wrote:Evolutionary psychology makes sense yes. But you're not just making a mockery of it here, we're talking full scale orgy abuse while it cries.

I reserve the right to quote you both out of context and incorrectly.

RahulKolasseri

Postby RahulKolasseri » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:46 pm UTC

Hey guys, I'm entering what is known here(Singapore) as Junior College, and I am told that I need to get either a TI-84 Plus(Singapore $148) or a T-84 Silver edition($175). So, which of the 2 is better, and is the silver edition worth shelling out a bit more?
Xeio wrote:Small amounts of cancer are definately worth the awesome.

oracle989

Postby oracle989 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:36 am UTC

RahulKolasseri wrote:Hey guys, I'm entering what is known here(Singapore) as Junior College, and I am told that I need to get either a TI-84 Plus(Singapore $148) or a T-84 Silver edition($175). So, which of the 2 is better, and is the silver edition worth shelling out a bit more?

Just go for the Plus. The Silver's a little better spec'd if I recall, but it's not really much of a difference.
Ulc wrote:Evolutionary psychology makes sense yes. But you're not just making a mockery of it here, we're talking full scale orgy abuse while it cries.

I reserve the right to quote you both out of context and incorrectly.

GenericAnimeBoy

Postby GenericAnimeBoy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:44 am UTC

I wouldn't recommend the 89 for a high school student at all. Yes, it's powerful, but it has one helluva learning curve and it's not allowed on several important standardized tests. When I changed over to the 89 from my old reliable 83plus, I'd say I was actually *slower* on it for the first couple of months. It's worth it for the university level, though--it was invaluable for double-checking my solutions on even-numbered calculus homework problems (but tests were no-calculators-at-all). It has also proven quite useful in my numerical analysis class, and it's a lot easier to use on a teaching theater desk than a laptop with matlab. You probably won't get the most out of its really high-level features unless you're majoring in engineering or some practical sciences.
In light of the impermanence and absurdity of existence, I surmise that nothing is better for us than to rejoice and to do good in our lives, and that everyone should eat and drink and enjoy the good of his/her labor. Such enjoyment is a gift from God.

cameron432

Postby cameron432 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:02 pm UTC

I'd get the 84-Plus. I find it to flow so much more than the nSpire. The nSpire is incredibly slow and very difficult to navigate. Tbh, at this point, the 84-plus is relatively cheap, and in 4 years (I'm assuming you're a freshman), the 89, and even the 200, are going to be obsolete, so don't waste your money on them... yet.

Actually, you probably don't even need more than a scientific calculator in high school. Most schools have calculators in their classrooms. And when you're at home, there's enough stuff online/on a scientific calculator to get by fine. But if you need a graphing, just buy an 84.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:32 pm UTC

I'd put Maple, Matlab or Mathematica on a computer and leave all calculators in the dust.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

ashgray

Postby ashgray » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:38 pm UTC

squareroot wrote:Well, my (probable) math teacher responded to an e-mail I sent him about this, he recommended nSpire. Just to check - can it do all the same awesome crap as 89?

(Btw, thanks for all the responses so far!)

The nSpire can emulate several different models (including the 84 and 89) via detachable keypads that are suited for each.

cameron432

Postby cameron432 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:54 pm UTC

ashgray wrote:
squareroot wrote:Well, my (probable) math teacher responded to an e-mail I sent him about this, he recommended nSpire. Just to check - can it do all the same awesome crap as 89?

(Btw, thanks for all the responses so far!)

The nSpire can emulate several different models (including the 84 and 89) via detachable keypads that are suited for each.

... and I haven't touched my nSprire keypad since about a year ago. I don't think the 89 comes with it though.

Return to “School”