Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

meatyochre

Re: Rant Thread (to balance Awesome Thread)

Postby meatyochre » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:38 am UTC

The EGE wrote:It's gotten to the point where I recognize 90% of TvTropes links from the name.

In related news, I should really inquire into acquiring a life.

Acquiring a life, eh? There's a trope for that.

Ironically enough, there's also a tvtropes page regarding the trope "TVTropes will ruin your life."
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Daojia
Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania

Postby Daojia » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:58 am UTC

I read that one, but by that stage it was too late.
Sapere aude.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:34 am UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Is there a mathematical formula for gay to straight ratio?

The Kinsey scale?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:29 pm UTC

Somebody please pick up the phone and give me some work. I've done nothing for days except work out, play with the computer and hang around. I need to justify my existence!
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:02 pm UTC

I managed to chop the end of my finger off with some scissors. There was much blood. Thing is, it didn't really hurt, and doesn't hurt now, it was just a massive inconvenience having to hold a paper towel to it for ages stopping me from working and the plaster on my finger now is making typing a PITA.

Also today was the day I helped interview people for the new technician job. Must have looked like a real pro with my finger all wrapped up -_-

Edit to add an actual rant: raaagge at my self for making one of those stupid little mistakes that are easily avoided but really make things awkward if you don't avoid them. And also for someone getting me to do a job while I was still trying to stop the blood pouring out over a sink.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:04 pm UTC

Those are some sharp scissors.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:17 pm UTC

I can't complain really, I asked for sharp scissors to cut a cable tie since I'd left my wire cutters in the office. I think my description may be taken a wrong way though, when I say top of my finger I mean like...
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/AP ... directlink
I know I know, I have a real flair for photo editing.

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:27 pm UTC

When I'm sad that my bike has been stolen (again!), don't tell me that it's my fault for leaving it outside with 'only two crappy locks'. Do you know whose fault it is? The person who stole it. :evil:
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

That's some serious shit. I hates the victim blaming. Hates it.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

natraj

Postby natraj » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:37 pm UTC

I am pretty sure there is a special place in hell for bike thieves. :evil:
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:39 pm UTC

That's pretty awful. In a perfect world we wouldn't need locks but even in this world you'd have thought two would be enough. Regardless though they should still offer what ever help they can. Crappy and lazy service imho.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:52 pm UTC

Mavketl wrote:When I'm sad that my bike has been stolen (again!), don't tell me that it's my fault for leaving it outside with 'only two crappy locks'. Do you know whose fault it is? The person who stole it. :evil:

Want a free bike? I have one in my backyard that someone apparently left there and forgot about.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
Mavketl wrote:When I'm sad that my bike has been stolen (again!), don't tell me that it's my fault for leaving it outside with 'only two crappy locks'. Do you know whose fault it is? The person who stole it. :evil:
Want a free bike? I have one in my backyard that someone apparently left there and forgot about.
I've arranged a new ("new") one already. It's a kid's bike (but only barely, so it's big enough for me), which might make it less of an attractive target maybe. And I have a feeling that your backyard is kind of far from mine... :P

Thanks, though!

And thanks for sharing my annoyance, everyone. Grrrr bike thieves.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:00 pm UTC

Not nice losing your bike.

I've had thieves cut through my lock and take my bike aswell :(

I liked that bike :cry:

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:07 pm UTC

Mavketl wrote:
emceng wrote:
I've arranged a new ("new") one already. It's a kid's bike (but only barely, so it's big enough for me), which might make it less of an attractive target maybe. And I have a feeling that your backyard is kind of far from mine... :P

Thanks, though!

And thanks for sharing my annoyance, everyone. Grrrr bike thieves.

Groningen is a university city, right? Paint your bike in a really bright and ugly pink colour. That drastically lowers the chance of getting stolen.
Or does the city offer some kind of bike rental service? In that case, paint your bike so it looks like those bikes. They tend to not get stolen because they're easy to track down. And they do track them down. In Ghent anyway.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:09 pm UTC

I'd think the bright ugly pink would just make it more noticeable and thus more likely that, of all the bikes, they pick yours to steal.

In unrelated news, here are a couple lessons in common courtesy my roommate would do well to learn:
-When someone talks to you, don't just ignore them; even if you're busy, you can still give an "I'm busy" gesture. You're not even obligated to really respond, but acknowledge the remark in some visual or auditory way. This also goes for when you leave and someone says "bye." Please actually say "goodbye" rather than just shutting the door.
-Similarly, don't just leave the room halfway through a conversation. Either I have to follow you like a puppy to the other room, or I just can't follow you and have to sit there and wait while you act like you don't give a shit about our discussion. I wouldn't be having it if it didn't matter.
-Even if you have your own things going on, take the time to inquire about other people's things. For instance, if I ask "How are you doing?" when I know you're having a rough time, you might consider asking me back when you know I'm having a rough time.

I'm sure all this makes me some justified harpy, but really, doing otherwise is pretty rude and self-absorbed. Especially since roommate=boyfriend.
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:16 pm UTC

The majority of bicycle thieves in a university city are men. And not just men, "real men", you know, the type that wresles bears, eats nails for breakfast and drinks hot lava out of a mug with hair on it. (Or at least they think/act they are. Actually most of them are just student guys who act though). The type of guys that wouldn't want to be caught dead riding a pink bicycle, because that's for gays and girls.

It's using they're own prejudices against them.

Also, if you steal a bike, and you have a choice, steal one that isn't noticable. Especially if it's for use in the same general area as where you stole it (which is mostly the case in uni cities). My bike got stolen two semesters ago, and if I would see it somewhere, I would take it back. Sadly, it's a rather generic bike, and I would really have to look in detail to see it's mine because there are a lot of those out here. But if it's were noticable bike...
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:20 pm UTC

Actually, most bike thieves here don't steal for their own use, they sell the bikes. The bright colour thing should discourage it a bit, but not prevent it entirely (if they think they can sell a pink bike to someone, anyone, they'll take a pink bike).

@Chai: Those things suck, even moreso because they can be hard to bring up without feeling like you're whining about little details (that's how it is with me, anyway). I hope it'll get better.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:27 pm UTC

She said polyamory "never works" and people who think it does "are seriously naïve" and don't "live in the real world." I said she was an ignorant bigot and didn't know what she was talking about. She called me a "cute college kid." I questioned why she assumed that. She pointed out my FB network, which indicated I graduated in May '10, and said that a few months didn't count as grown-up experience. I looked up her network, which said '09.

Because a year's difference makes her SOOOOOOOO much wiser.

This is the same bitch who said bisexuals were attention whores and that heteroflexibles were actually heterosexual, and also "dumb as shit."

g;aslkfjaweo;ifjasld;kfjas;difjawl;ekfjad;lfjkGRAAAAAAAAAHHHH
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:28 pm UTC

@ Chai: Have you considered squirt guns?

@ Pod: *petpetsoothe* People who hold firm, unchangeable, opinions suck. Semper Gumby people, Semper Gumby.

The EGE wrote:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:29 pm UTC

Didn't you offer squirt gun advice for Chai's boyfriend's parents earlier?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

It is a versatile training method that I have employed on numerous occasions in order to affect the change I wanted. So sue me for offering it.

The EGE wrote:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

Didn't mean to disparage the advice. I was wondering if it actually works and/or is allowable in general society.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:35 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:She said polyamory "never works" and people who think it does "are seriously naïve" and don't "live in the real world." I said she was an ignorant bigot and didn't know what she was talking about. She called me a "cute college kid." I questioned why she assumed that. She pointed out my FB network, which indicated I graduated in May '10, and said that a few months didn't count as grown-up experience. I looked up her network, which said '09.

Because a year's difference makes her SOOOOOOOO much wiser.

This is the same bitch who said bisexuals were attention whores and that heteroflexibles were actually heterosexual, and also "dumb as shit."

g;aslkfjaweo;ifjasld;kfjas;difjawl;ekfjad;lfjkGRAAAAAAAAAHHHH
Sounds like someone who isn't worth your time. I would stop talking to them if I were you. They seem chronically ignorant, and probably willfully ignorant as well, which is a shitty combination.

Release them into the waters of society and try and catch a new less stupid friend.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:52 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:She said polyamory "never works" and people who think it does "are seriously naïve" and don't "live in the real world." I said she was an ignorant bigot and didn't know what she was talking about. She called me a "cute college kid." I questioned why she assumed that. She pointed out my FB network, which indicated I graduated in May '10, and said that a few months didn't count as grown-up experience. I looked up her network, which said '09.

Now you lay in wait. If she's single, you're waiting for her to get into a relationship and then break up. If she's already in a relationship, you're just waiting for it to end.

When it does, and everyone else is expressing sympathy, you come out of nowhere and inform her that it just proves "monogamy never works" and that she was "seriously naive" for even trying.

It'll be worth it.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:55 pm UTC

Belial wrote:

Now you lay in wait. If she's single, you're waiting for her to get into a relationship and then break up. If she's already in a relationship, you're just waiting for it to end.

When it does, and everyone else is expressing sympathy, you come out of nowhere and inform her that it just proves "monogamy never works" and that she was "seriously naive" for even trying.

It'll be worth it.
You could also say that maybe she's not as heterosexual as she thought.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:55 pm UTC

Make sure you say how cute she is if she complains.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:56 pm UTC

The thought is certainly pleasant, but I don't know her personally - FB friend of an FB friend. I'd rather not have her ignorant poison spewing forth in my life anyway.

The nice thing was that in the same discussion thread, a whole bunch of people piled in to refute all the -phobias going around. But still, even just one troll can ruin everything.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:00 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:The thought is certainly pleasant, but I don't know her personally - FB friend of an FB friend. I'd rather not have her ignorant poison spewing forth in my life anyway.

See, FB is great for this because you can just bookmark her profile and check her relationship status every month or so. No interaction necessary!
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:03 pm UTC

One bad apple spoil the whole damn bunch, HUAH.

Oh, and the squirt gun training works for me. But I'm "super special". My mommy tells me I am.

The EGE wrote:

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:50 pm UTC

I think with my boyfriend sometimes I need a squirt cannon: the little water pistol just won't do it.
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:54 pm UTC

Something like this?

I've found them to be effective resources.

The EGE wrote:

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:56 pm UTC

You know, I'm quite a mild person really. I don't rant a lot, but
STOP BURNING FUCKING TYRES RIGHT ACROSS THE ROAD OR I'LL COME OVER THERE WITH MY KA-BAR AND REMOVE YOUR EYES FROM YOUR SOCKETS. THEN I'LL CUT YOUR DICKS OFF AND JUMP UP AND DOWN ON YOU UNTIL I'M REALLY TIRED. I DO CROSSFIT. THAT'LL BE A LONG TIME OF JUMPING. JUMPING AND JUMPING UNTIL YOU ARE MUSH!
There we are. Finished now.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:04 pm UTC

Two rants for today. One:
Cunting fucker of a washing machine! You call that a bloody short cycle? I put my fucking clothes in to wash over one and a half shitting hours ago and you're still at it!
And two:
Goddammit! Why do I have to pay for stupid things like food and rent? Why can't I just spend all my pay (and, soon, my student loan) on Doc Martens?
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:26 pm UTC

Wtf windows. I'm a workstation administrator, I've told you to ask me before updating and before rebooting. So instead you bring up an Automatic Updates countdown with the "Restart later" option greyed out, shut me down in the middle of installing Office, and totally fuck my installation of YOUR OWN OFFICE SUITE.

Also, on my laptop, you've been coming up with "Install Updates and Shut Down" every other week. Where the hell was your dialog box when you actually installed the bloody update? Last night you actually asked, but then you kept nagging me to restart now or later - I'm sure I turned that off.

If the update description actually said "This update will protect your PC from remote hackers gaining access, oh and ALSO TURN ON ALL OUR ANNOYING CRAP THAT YOU SPENT WEEKS DELETING", then I wouldn't install the goddamn update. But of course you know this. Tossas.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:10 am UTC

Is that XP still? That was a nice surprise when I moved to 7, the update process is a bit nicer and, AFAIK, doesn't do anything you don't tell it to.

Rant of my own: A good 2/3rds of the freeway I take to work is a construction zone, so the speed limit has been lowered to 60km/h. That's cool, even if they're actually only actively working in two spots - it's needed roadwork, and safety is kind of an big deal. I can leave a few minutes early, not a problem at all. I'm also cool with the fact that traffic is actually traveling more like 40km/h past the points where there are people working about 18 inches from the flow of traffic. However, continuing to drive at 40km/h the whole damn way pisses me right off. The roadway is built to the expectation that people will travel more than twice that speed, the weather is great for driving, it's a straight line, and there's not actually any construction anywhere nearby. Why the hell can't you travel at the posted 60km/h??
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:34 am UTC

Me gusta Semper Gumby.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:43 am UTC

Out of the six other groups why oh why was I put in the one with the only person here who I can't stand to be around and refused to work with me last time?
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:53 am UTC

Philosophy 101 students.

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:14 am UTC

*sigh*

Every time I hear my friend complain about the vulgar language people use around her, I want to go and launch into a tirade of cursing and innuendo. My self-moderation is starting to lose to my anger to her stupid passive-aggressive tactics.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

Return to “General”