Does anyone actually eat their recommended daily nutrion?

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

fictiveLaark

Does anyone actually eat their recommended daily nutrion?

Postby fictiveLaark » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:43 am UTC

My doctor always reminds me to do this but doing such a thing seems like it would take an enormous amount of money, especially since I decided to get out of my mom's house and rent an apartment. Right now my daily diet is typically this, Oatmeal in the morning, a bowl of salad(lettuce, tomato, and bell pepper) for lunch, and a potato for dinner, and in between I get quite a bit of coffee, some times chocolate milk.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: Does anyone actually eat their recommended daily nutrion

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:48 am UTC

Nope, in fact I think it has been more than a week since I last consumed a fresh piece of fruit or veg.

I'm going to die of scurvy, aren't I.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:04 pm UTC

I tend to forget to eat. Or I am too lazy to drag my butt to the store and back again while it's still open.

But I take vitamin pills! And iron, and C-vitamin and lots of meds cause doc said I had to.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:11 pm UTC

Nope, I tend to live predominently on red meat, root veg and baked goods, with a smattering of cheese, onion, mushroom and tomatos.

I do tend to drink a lot of fruit juice though, in the region of 2-3 litres a day.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:16 pm UTC

I think the recommended amount is a little unrealistic. I mean how many people plan out their days food in advance, making sure they have enough of every vitamin and then stick to it without snacking on anything more? I know there's some health conscience people that do that but the vast majority eat as and when. In my humble opinion, the DRA is just there to let give you a rough guide to how much of what you should be eating. As long as you get some meat and veg in your diet I doubt you'll run into any trouble.

Although I should be the last person to take advice from, I've been so lazy the last couple weeks. Have no real food in the house and I've been living off takeaways and sandwiches from the newsagents D:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:54 pm UTC

I used to get decent portions of veg and fruits back when I was on a meal plan at college and had access to the dining halls. Like, two years ago. Then I moved out and my diet cycle went according to whether my boyfriend or best friend were willing to feed me. Now I have no boyfriend and my best friend is +2 hours away, and I'm down to canned food and frozen dinners. I snack on carrots, though.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

Sokh wrote:I think the recommended amount is a little unrealistic. I mean how many people plan out their days food in advance, making sure they have enough of every vitamin and then stick to it without snacking on anything more? I know there's some health conscience people that do that but the vast majority eat as and when.

I imagine someone who lives in a house with post-it notes on everything telling him/her when to eat what things what day. They would also have an enormous graph telling the nutritional facts of all of the fast food restaurants around their house down to each exact percentage. An analog clock would hang above the kitchen with more notes that matches up with the bodies natural cycle saying when to eat the most and least. Their wallet would probably contain their debt card, about 20 dollars in cash, their medical card and a whole section dedicated to just nutritional facts, you know, just in case.

The sad thing is, someone like this probably exists. In all of their OCD glory.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:26 pm UTC

fictiveLaark wrote:My doctor always reminds me to do this but doing such a thing seems like it would take an enormous amount of money, especially since I decided to get out of my mom's house and rent an apartment. Right now my daily diet is typically this, Oatmeal in the morning, a bowl of salad(lettuce, tomato, and bell pepper) for lunch, and a potato for dinner, and in between I get quite a bit of coffee, some times chocolate milk.
That's really not enough for you to live on. That's probably only 500 calories or so, and you need 800 per day just to sustain your organs. Keep up that diet and you're looking at serious health problems. I expect you need a lot more fat and protein in your diet as basically everything you said is just carbs, so maybe you could add some cheese to your salad and beans to your potato or something? Other foods you could easily add include rice, bread, fruit, eggs, yogurt, granola bars, etc. Just find a way to get more because that's not healthy at all.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:46 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I used to get decent portions of veg and fruits back when I was on a meal plan at college and had access to the dining halls. Like, two years ago. Then I moved out and my diet cycle went according to whether my boyfriend or best friend were willing to feed me. Now I have no boyfriend and my best friend is +2 hours away, and I'm down to canned food and frozen dinners. I snack on carrots, though.

...Learn to cook, surely? It's not that hard to do, just get yourself a basic cookbook and start experimenting. You can do better than frozen meals, and you know what goes into the meal.

Don't believe people who say that homecooking is healthier than take-aways and frozen meals, though. That's only if you cook healthy food, and not, say, fry up bacon with mince. (It was delicious, but still)
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:04 pm UTC

I don't like to shop a lot, so most of my food comes dried, frozen, or canned. For the first week after I go shopping I may have an array of fresh foods, but then it is down to a few items and I tend to eat the same thing over and over and probably don't get all the vitamins and minerals I need.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:47 am UTC

Spoiler:
My daily diet usually consists of a large bowl of Cheerios and a banana, two Nutri-grain bars and a V8, a turkey sandwich with mayonnaise and muenster cheese on whole wheat, freaking tons of Sun Chips, and varying dinner dishes, which may include chili (with lots of stuff in it, very healthy); this thing with rice and tomato sauce and onions and green pepper and celery and zucchini and corn, kind of like more ricey, less beany, more tomato saucy chili; grilled chicken w/ grilled vegetables; mac & cheese with peas and chunks of ham thrown in; sausage; and, soon, I'll be eating pizza again (home-made, with Boboli crust, green pepper, zucchini, tomato sauce, onions, and cheese). I'll also be eating Wheat Thins instead of Sun Chips again, which means my freaking tons of snack foods will increase in amount and be upgraded to fricking or even fucking tons (all of which are more than frigging, which is still an awesome word).

tl;dr My breakfasts are super healthy, lunches are meh, snacks are meh with probably a great deal of calories (and a lot of snacking), and dinners can range from very filler-ish food to fucking healthy as shit.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

vector

Postby vector » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:36 am UTC

Breakfast: Egg, plain toast, apple, glass of milk
Lunch: Depends; sometimes vegetable sandwich w/tofu, sometimes PB&J (usually not, though), sometimes leftovers
Snack: Fruit smoothie (yoghurt + lots of berries)
Dinner: Depends; usually some sort of vegetable soup, or sandwich, or brown rice + lentils + veggies and so on.

Yup. My mom still yells at me to improve my diet :roll:
Come visit the Bay12 Mafia subforum: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=20.0

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:42 am UTC

Hey, thought: there's a Food forum. A forum for food. A forum for threads about food. This is a thread about food.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:54 am UTC

It's also about Fitness, so it could be in Fit Club.

ARGH CHOICES!

Running this one by MJ to see what he thinks
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:17 am UTC

The recommendations are pretty silly. This is to be expected when you have a single set of recommendations for a diverse group of people.

I eat reasonably well most of the time, but my diet looks nothing at all like any government recommendation I've seen. I get about 1g of protein per lb of my bodyweight; this requires eating lots of eggs and meat and dairy. The meat is often frozen chicken thighs or breasts, or sometimes beef or pork. I eat this with a big pile of frozen vegetables (...formerly frozen vegetables). I often follow this up with cottage cheese and fruit. Additional fats come from nuts, and additional carbs come from oatmeal and whole wheat bread. So on days that I cook dinner, I think I'm pretty much on target.

Of course, sometimes I just pick up some teriyaki or a burger, especially for lunch. This is less healthy.

caje

Postby caje » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:27 am UTC

Yes, usually much more. My diet consists of meat, veggies and some fruit. No rice, wheat or potatoes which gets rid of empty calories. I only supplement with Omega 3 (if my budget goes south and I have to buy non grass-fed beef) and Vitamin D.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:01 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It's also about Fitness, so it could be in Fit Club.

ARGH CHOICES!

Running this one by MJ to see what he thinks

OW MY FOOT!

I think it's good in Food, and I'll mention it somewhere noticeable in FC.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:33 pm UTC

I like vegetables. I like to cook them and eat them. Alas, my roommates will only eat limited types of vegetables, so these days I cook mostly broccoli or green beans or make a very plain salad. It's hard for me to cook just enough for me to eat before it spoils. When I lived with my mom we ate lots and lots of vegetables. I miss them.
I do manage to limit my snack-food consumption quite well.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

I've found that one great way to get people to expand the vegetables they'll eat is to introduce them to the grilled forms of vegetables they claim not to like, otherwise. Oil, S&P, and a bit of char goes a long way to bring out the sugars and make veggies taste more interesting. People will be all, "Grilled carrots? Madness!" until they are shown that hey, you can indeed caramelize a vegetable without any added sweetener, and it tastes good.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:47 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote: It's hard for me to cook just enough for me to eat before it spoils.

I think this is my main problem, and the biggest obstacle to my learning to cook / cooking more. Today I had to throw out a bunch of lovely cantaloupe because it had gone moldy even though I'd been doing my best to eat it every day.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:54 pm UTC

I've discovered that my vegetable intake increases DRAMATICALLY when I have forced myself to become hungry, which is something that about 300,000,000+ people in North America are not used to. It is incredibly easy to eat as much as you want of almost anything you want, so the concept of being so hungry that you have to turn to less palatable alternatives is quite alien. Trust me, I know... it was alien to me until about three months ago. Right now, I am on a fairly strict diet, powered only by my own willpower, and for once it seems to be enough since I'm seeing results. But one of the interesting results was whatever vegetables get made for dinner, either by me or my wife, I will consume. Gladly. And then have more. I have tried several forms of fruit I have hated until now, simply because of the gnawing hunger in my stomach and my refusal to eat junk food. I didn't even hesitate to try peach cobbler the other night, after almost three decades of hating peaches. In the past month I've eaten beets and cowboy pickles and raw cauliflower and avocado and a dozen other things you could not PAY me to eat a year ago, when the cupboards were stocked with barbecue peanuts and crackers and assorted cheeses. I figure right now I'm way the hell over my RDI for most vitamins and minerals.

LMeire

Postby LMeire » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:26 am UTC

Decent solution for the lazy:

Take a few slices of pepperoni, some sour dough, a fresh tomato, a fresh potato, some parmesian cheese, your choice of spices for flavor, stick it all in the blender and heat it up and WALA!! not-so-Italian Soup for bachelors!

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:36 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I've found that one great way to get people to expand the vegetables they'll eat is to introduce them to the grilled forms of vegetables they claim not to like, otherwise. Oil, S&P, and a bit of char goes a long way to bring out the sugars and make veggies taste more interesting. People will be all, "Grilled carrots? Madness!" until they are shown that hey, you can indeed caramelize a vegetable without any added sweetener, and it tastes good.

Yes! Skewer some zucchini and yellow squash slices and onion, season, grill, and enjoy! Or sauté, that's good too.

I think a big problem people have with vegetables is they only got canned or frozen then boiled growing up... with those associations, of course they're gross.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

Yeah, I can't think of too many canned vegetables I would touch with a ten-foot pole. Water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, beans...?
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:10 pm UTC

Grilled asparagus = a hit in my family for EVERYONE. A little bit of oil and lemon juice, no salt or pepper. Win.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:45 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Yeah, I can't think of too many canned vegetables I would touch with a ten-foot pole. Water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, beans...?

I prefer canned green beans over fresh green beans (they don't taste anything alike, which is a good thing to me). Other vegetables such as corn are edible canned, but not nearly as good as fresh or even frozen. Other than that, black olives? I can't really think of much else.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:11 am UTC

It completely depends. I eat out a lot(not uncommon for 12-15 times a week) and restaurants are fairly good at making sure there are veggies and fruit in every meal. When I eat at home I mostly just eat sandwiches usually with some tomatoes and spinach. So I probably get enough of fruits and veggies in the DRI. The problem is I eat way past the DRI in the carbs, meat and dairy categories. :-/
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:34 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:Other than that, black olives?

Nope. Fruit.

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

I do actually plan out my days and proportions a week in advance. It saves money, time, and effort so I tend to hit my daily nutrition. Otherwise I'm going to do my weekly trip to the grocery store (it's a bit of a walk), say fuck it, and buy frozen burritos.

But I also am really frugal and trying to lose about 80 pounds, so I have a serious drive to track it all. I use Sparkpeople to track my food and exercise. Not completely accurate, but it works for me.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:34 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Yeah, I can't think of too many canned vegetables I would touch with a ten-foot pole. Water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, beans...?
Canned tomatoes are good. (INB4 FRUIT)
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Obby

Postby Obby » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:37 pm UTC

I probably come close on most days. For breakfast I usually have some kind of egg (always topped with ketchup, no matter how the egg is cooked) and some toast or a bagel with either margarine or cream cheese, and either orange juice or 1% milk to drink (usually OJ). For lunch I will usually get a few pieces of fruit (a couple of apples and a banana, or an orange and a banana, or some peaches with a mango), or occasionally get some kind of sub. Ham, roast beef, turkey, tuna or chicken salad... Again, I'm not picky because it all tastes good. Loaded with lettuce, tomato and peppers.

Dinner appetizer is almost always a garden salad. Dinner is usually some kind of meat (usually chicken or ground turkey, but sometimes it will be pork and occasionally beef) with a side of vegetables, sauteed green beans usually, sometimes peas and/or carrots and/or corn, and occasionally some more exotic veggies like artichokes (are they even a vegetable?).

That's a "typical" day's food for me and my girlfriend. Though, we also like to get creative when we cook, so we'll frequently try to make foods from other cultures and countries. Asian, middle eastern, hispanic, german, french... We vary what we eat a lot.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

Much like creating carbon nano-tubes, healthy eating for me is all about creating the appropreate conditions ahead of time so that the desired nutriton happens naturally of its own volition.

In theory anyways. My girlfriend and Iessentially just try to reduce as much fat and sodium out of the products that we buy so that we can prepare meals without worrying too much. Also, recently we've learned to prepare garlic broccoli and it's fantastic. Finally a way to enjoy broccoli without smothering it in cheese, which kinda defeats some purpose o_O
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:03 am UTC

I eat broccoli when it's accompanied by delicious meat, which makes me like it. I know that it helps me absorb the iron from the meat, so they go well together. I don't eat very much meat these days, probably only once or twice a week, I'll have fish a few times a week, and that's it. I get a box of fruit and vegetables delivered weekly, and in working my way through it I think I'd get pretty close to what most scientists would call a healthy diet.

In general, I eat food, not too much, mostly plants..

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:20 pm UTC

My spouse eats (microwaved) frozen chicken breast, (boiled) whole wheat pasta, (microwaved) frozen spinach, tomato sauce, milk and a whole grain cereal (either Cheerios or Frosted Mini Wheats). Believe it or not, he gets lots of nutrients that way. I don't do as well, esp. at moments (like right now) when I don't have a lot of fresh vegetables in the fridge.

podbaydoor, you have to learn how to cook for yourself, and how much veg to buy for yourself, (and buying fresh veg means that some of it will, sometimes, go bad) but it is possible to cook small amounts, just for yourself. It took me a few years to learn how to do it, but it is possible.

Enid

Postby Enid » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:17 am UTC

Most days I do pretty well just because I like a lot of variety in my diet, and my taste in food tends towards healthy things. However, I am ludicrously bad at remembering to eat on days when I don't have meal breaks built into my schedule, so I fairly frequently have days like one earlier this week when I realized I had been up 20 hours and all I had eaten was a bagel and a granola bar. This is something I've become increasingly aware of and I am trying to have a better relationship with food. Scheduling eating seems to be necessary for me.

Oh man! I thought for years and years that I hated green beans because all my mom served were the canned ones. Turns out that when they are fresh, or even some brands of frozen, I love the things. Of course, I love nearly everything green. My favorite food as a child was lima beans.

fullmoonmidget

Postby fullmoonmidget » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:53 pm UTC

I think it is nigh unto impossible to get the recommended daily amount without massively exceeding your daily calories. However, disregarding the 10 servings of whole grain, it's fairly easy to get at least 2/3 that. Try buying some dried beans, and eating that with your potato. Or swap your potato for rice and have beans and rice. Add some carrots(not baby. those are extremely expensive) and onions(pretty cheap, last a longggg time)to your salad, and satee some of the leftovers for dinner. Add a scoop of peanut butter to your oatmeal (natural. Its about the same, depending on where you go, and is all protein). Add some orange juice to your breakfast (if your worried about cost, it really doesn't matter if it's concentrate) and you've got pretty much what you need. You could toss in some dairy as well, in a multitude of ways. Cottage cheese is good, but don't waste your money on flavored yogurt.

Buy in bulk and you're only spending a few extra bucks. In the long run, it's so much cheaper than starving yourself.

Return to “Food”