Sharing Food

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Aeltar

Sharing Food

Postby Aeltar » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:30 pm UTC

Do you have a problem with eating from someone else's dish? How about with their utensils? Do you have a problem with anything like that, with sharing objects? I know some people who can't touch food after anybody else does. Personally, I've always held that I'm going to die anyway, and I have a strong immune system, so I don't worry about it. When people ask if I want a bite, I use their fork.
functionally_stupid wrote:If you ever feel the urge to say "I love you" to a friend, a lover, a parent, who-the-fuck-ever - say it. SAY IT. I cannot stress this enough.

Verator

Postby Verator » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:33 pm UTC

It depends on the person. Any of my friends I don't mind, and my parents I don't care, but my little brother might brush his teeth once a week, if even, and there are other people I know who are really dirty too, so I wouldn't touch their food.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:34 pm UTC

NO. NEVER. EVER.

I can't stand that, it freaks me out.

What, you expected something more from me?
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

notallama

Postby notallama » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:37 pm UTC

i like to live life on the edge; i eat stuff when people have double dipped.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:37 pm UTC

depends on the person. a few friends and jeff i dont mind. i cant eat after my own family for some reason. Children are a big nono. NO NO. noooo. gross.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

notallama

Postby notallama » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:40 pm UTC

i generally assume that if i child has touched something, it somehow has feces on it.

edit: when you think about it, a child's skin is really just an extension of its colon.

UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:51 pm UTC

Yeah, it depends on who it is and how diseased they are. Generally I'm a bit of a germaphobe, but then again, people were all amazed and grossed out that my (now ex) girlfriend and I used to share a toothbrush. Didn't seem a big deal to either of us (she was kind of overly careful about germs too) since we already shared most of our germs, what did a toothbrush really matter, but all our friends were amazed by that little thing. So not usually, but not illogically so, if the person has gotten their saliva germs in my mouth recently anyway, I don't have a problem.
yellie wrote:Confession: I just had to look up the word ubiquitous because I kept seeing it all over the place and had no idea what it meant.

tessuraea
Not Phallic Enough

Postby tessuraea » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:57 pm UTC

None of it bothers me at all. Most of this is me just being rational--the world is a bacteria-filled place, after all. Some of it is me being pragmatic.

But in any case, I just don't care. I've shared toothbrushes a fair amount, even. I'll share a drink with whoever. If someone has obvious signs of some virus, I'll usually pass. Other than that... *shrug*

Also, I'm hardly ever sick in a caught-a-virus way. I have a hunch that challenging your immune system regularly by not attempting to disinfect your life is probably good for you.
This is not a reference to anyone's junk.

redthegreat

Postby redthegreat » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:31 am UTC

Girls, I kiss em, I fuck em, I exchange a lot of bodilly fluids if im lucky and that hasn't kill me, but then again I don't have a sheeth of rubber between me and other peoples food items.

Sorry for the vulgarity.
Please don't correct my spelling, I am lisdexic and know it is probably wrong.

sebbeklang

Postby sebbeklang » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:44 am UTC

i have no problems whatsoever, at least not if i know the person.
as for my pets, nothing they've touched. sometimes i let my friend Catherine smell the food and eat it anyway.

gtg947h

Postby gtg947h » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:12 am UTC

I've shared gum, toothbrushes, and just about everything else with Erin (my fiancee); I might try a bit of someone else's drink, depending on who they are. But, unlike Erin's mom, I will not share my glass of water with the cat. That's just wrong and gross in far too many ways.

redthegreat

Postby redthegreat » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:13 am UTC

sebbeklang wrote:i have no problems whatsoever, at least not if i know the person.
as for my pets, nothing they've touched. sometimes i let my friend Catherine smell the food and eat it anyway.

Ewwwwww they lick there genitals then lick you! And you let them eat your food? Thats like someone rubbing there balls on your mashed potato, only people balls are probably cleener.

sebbeklang

Postby sebbeklang » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:23 am UTC

redthegreat wrote:
sebbeklang wrote:i have no problems whatsoever, at least not if i know the person.

Ewwwwww they lick there genitals then lick you! And you let them eat your food? Thats like someone rubbing there balls on your mashed potato, only people balls are probably cleener.

ok, i'm not quite sure how to handle this post. here goes:
1) i don't let them lick me
2) if i let them eat my food, i'm not the one eating it.
3) it's not like eating something someone has rubbed with their balls
4) even if it was, i don't eat what they touched, read my post
5) their. please :(

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:36 am UTC

I have no problems if they aren't obviously diseased/otherwise filthy. I agree with Tess about the challenging your immune system thing (I eat food from street vendors in third world nations? Stupid? Maybe. Delicious? Fuck yeah!).

Also, my absolute pet peeve. People who tell you that the human mouth is more dirty than a dogs mouth/toilet bowl/whatever. Firstly, it depends on how you define dirty. Number of bacteria? Maybe, but it doesn't matter. Number of potentially dangerous bacteria? Not a chance.

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:13 am UTC

I have a number of friends who ascribe to "Freeganism".

One friend of mine, a seventy-something year old man who was profiled in the Globe & Mail a few months back on the topic of freeganism, and who was once arrested for excessive composting, only eats what he finds in the garbage/dumpster, and often collects cans, bottles and newspapers (as well as scrap wood, bicycles, and pretty much anything that's usable) to redistribute/return for deposit in Quebec as appropriate. If someone buys him food or tries to give him something they bought, he will refuse it, on the grounds that they should curb their consuming habits; he can more than feed himself with all the food he recovers.

Another person I know, though, defines freeganism as "only eating vegan food, unless it's free."

/didn't read thread, just contributing this randomly.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

tessuraea
Not Phallic Enough

Postby tessuraea » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:18 am UTC

Dibley wrote:I have no problems if they aren't obviously diseased/otherwise filthy. I agree with Tess about the challenging your immune system thing (I eat food from street vendors in third world nations? Stupid? Maybe. Delicious? Fuck yeah!).

Also, my absolute pet peeve. People who tell you that the human mouth is more dirty than a dogs mouth/toilet bowl/whatever. Firstly, it depends on how you define dirty. Number of bacteria? Maybe, but it doesn't matter. Number of potentially dangerous bacteria? Not a chance.

LOTS more bacteria in the human mouth. Lots and lots. Dog saliva's pretty clean stuff. :) Mythbusters even did a bit where they cultured Adam's saliva and a random dog's. Doesn't prove anything, of course, but it was interesting.

As for harmful bacteria, hmmm. I wonder if the bacteria in dogs' mouths are all that different from the ones that like humans? They're mammalian omnivores like us and they live in our households... dunno. In general, I don't go eating things dogs have been licking, but I certainly could if I had to. I don't mind dogs licking me.

My pet bird likes to clean between my teeth. Now and then I let him. Pet ferrets used to do something similar now and then.

Verator

Postby Verator » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:20 am UTC

A skin-piercing bite from a human is more dangerous than one from other mammals, and most reptiles. A vastly higher chance and rate of infection.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

tessuraea
Not Phallic Enough

Postby tessuraea » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:24 am UTC

Verator wrote:A skin-piercing bite from a human is more dangerous than one from other mammals, and most reptiles. A vastly higher chance and rate of infection.

Except cats, right? Cat saliva is seriously septic.

I had forgotten that about human bites, but I remember it now from--honest--my first-aid certification. :)

Verator

Postby Verator » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:28 am UTC

When I was doing it for my first aid certification, they said it was worse than domestic cat bites, but feral cats are jsut as bad, ocassionally worse.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:33 am UTC

I'm a Freegan, so anything even strangers is sometimes down with me.

You gotta keep your immune system on its toes.
=]

xooll

Postby xooll » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:48 am UTC

I'll share food with people who I know. If necessary, I'd share a toothbrush with my girlfriend.
I think the immune system should get lots of practice like that. That way when the REAL battle comes, you've got some veterans on your side.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:57 am UTC

About the biting, I wonder if that's the case for all species? Are same species bites more prone to infection? It would make a certain amount of sense, since few pathogens are cross species transmissable. Of course, for sheer tissue damage, I would rather get bitten by a person than a (reasonably large) dog, though I suppose that a person could do some serious damage too. Kinda creepy, thinking about being bitten by a human.

EDIT: Dear lord, I just shared that little tidbit of knowledge with my sister, and now her boyfriend is talking about how that's why he won't let her bite. I know they have sex and all, but do they have to share it?

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:12 am UTC

To answer the OP, I have no problem sharing food, drink, utensils, soap, clothes, ... well, anything, with other people that I know. This includes friends of friends. Non-acquaintances, however, I will not be so sharing with.

I am also against the over-use of anti-bacterial in sprays for household use, and in wipes, etc. because we are DESIGNED to handle such bacteria. It won't kill us. It will only make us stronger. If you go out of your way to remove everything that is harmful, you'll fall violently ill whenever you do contact something even moderately harmful.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:49 am UTC

With my family, anything goes.

Other than that, if they are 12 years old or older, I'll generally go for it. Usually not the same utensil, but I don't mind a coke can or whatever.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:37 am UTC

Warning: Randomness may ensue

Just reminds me of the time about a year ago, in the summer, m and my friend found a bottle of mouse in a can (whipped mouse?) lying on the side of the road -we knew it was like $10 a can so we proceeded to whip it straight into our mouths. It was the most delicious moment of my life.
=]

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:07 am UTC

Mousse?

Two issues, hygiene and waste.
Can't stand to see food wasted.
I'm freegan.

In theory, I'm for good food hygiene, having worked in restaurants.
In practice, I can be lax - it's probably how I got mono that time.

So serving dishes with food go in the middle of the table, and only put enough on your individual plate as you know you will eat.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:08 am UTC

The thought of sharing a toothbrush with someone squicks me out, but I'll share food/drinks/utensils with anyone that I at least vaguely know. My sister and I tend to forget whose glass is whose when we're both home and just grab whichever one is closest.

I'm not germophobic and am also against the use of too many antibacterial sprays and hand sanitizers. In fact, if I'm going to be eating I'd much rather have a few healthy germs on my fingers than have my hands coated in alcohol.

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:14 pm UTC

Dibley wrote:I have no problems if they aren't obviously diseased/otherwise filthy.

joeframbach wrote:To answer the OP, I have no problem sharing food, drink, utensils, soap, clothes, ... well, anything, with other people that I know.

I'm somewhere between those two statements, or either depending on mood/context.
"Four out of five dentists prefer asses to hearts." - The Mighty Thesaurus

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:03 pm UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:if they are 12 years old or older, I'll generally go for it.

Sig'd.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

redthegreat

Postby redthegreat » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:16 pm UTC

Verator wrote:A skin-piercing bite from a human is more dangerous than one from other mammals, and most reptiles. A vastly higher chance and rate of infection.

I know that to be not true.

From reptiles you carry a VERY high risk of catching salmonella.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:36 pm UTC

Not discounting that reptile bites are dangerous, but..

From Ask Dr Sears.

Code: Select all

HUMAN BITES

* These have the highest chance of becoming infected.
    * If only bite marks are made, but the skin is not broken and no bleeding is apparent, then no special treatment is necessary.
    * If the skin is broken and/or bleeding, then an antibiotic by mouth should be started within 8 hours to prevent infection, especially bites to the hand, foot, or face.
(omitted text)
There are many other animal bites that can occur, but the only other ones that may require antibiotics by mouth are reptile bites (lizards, turtles, etc.). Most of the other animal bites listed below under rabies don't actually need antibiotics by mouth. They may, however, require rabies shots or a tetanus shot. See below.

From MassGenera.org

Aside from determining the risk of rabies from the mammalian bite, the clinician needs to assess the teen’s tetanus immunization status.  For human bites, one may also consider the risk of acquiring hepatitis B or the human immunodeficiency virus.  If there is a risk for the individual, then specific measures including hepatitis B prophylaxis and antiretroviral medications may be considered.
(omitted text)
The treatment for reptilian bites depends on the species and if there is a potential for a poisonous bite.  Beside local care for the bite wound, there are medications and therapies available to counteract the toxin from the biting reptile.

From Merck.com

Victims of human bites should also receive postexposure prophylaxis for viral hepatitis (see Hepatitis: Prevention) and HIV (see Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV): Postexposure prophylaxis) as indicated by victim and attacker serostatus.

The only mention I found of salmonella was on Merck's reptile bite page, and that was only in reference to iguanas.

tl:dr Reptile bites can screw you up with infection and salmonella, sure. Human bites can give you AIDS, Hepatitis B, and any other infectious illness the person may have had.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:06 pm UTC

notallama wrote:when you think about it, a child's skin is really just an extension of its colon.

Sure, but so is your own mouth. An extention of your colon, I mean. I hope it's not in any way the extension of a child's colon, unless you're counting your past self when you were a child.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

hack124x768

Postby hack124x768 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:01 pm UTC

Dibley wrote:About the biting, I wonder if that's the case for all species? Are same species bites more prone to infection? It would make a certain amount of sense, since few pathogens are cross species transmissable. Of course, for sheer tissue damage, I would rather get bitten by a person than a (reasonably large) dog, though I suppose that a person could do some serious damage too. Kinda creepy, thinking about being bitten by a human.

EDIT: Dear lord, I just shared that little tidbit of knowledge with my sister, and now her boyfriend is talking about how that's why he won't let her bite. I know they have sex and all, but do they have to share it?

Biting in bed is good. Not too hard though, as I am a wuss. However, I have drawn blood once on accident when nibbling someones lip, and there was no infection. I was bitten on the hand once by someone else (I wouldn't let go of her bag of chips) and my finger got quite infected. I have also been bitten (drawing blood) by dogs, rabbits, and pet rats, and never gotten infected.
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:51 am UTC

Absolutely not. I will not share utensils or food except with family members on occasion because they make me. Even that wigs me out but I kind of have to. I will not eat any food or use any utensils if they have touched anything but my plate. I am even a little weirded out by using dishes again if they have been washed with anything less than soap and water (Camping is hard but I can manage the last thing so long as all the others have been met). If I absolutely have to (i.e. very little food, only utensils, pressure not to be a freak) I can eat ignore some rules. (Absolutely no sharing food with somebody I am not related to though)
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:26 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:From MassGenera.org

Aside from determining the risk of rabies from the mammalian bite, the clinician needs to assess the teen’s tetanus immunization status.  For human bites, one may also consider the risk of acquiring hepatitis B or the human immunodeficiency virus.  If there is a risk for the individual, then specific measures including hepatitis B prophylaxis and antiretroviral medications may be considered.
(omitted text)
The treatment for reptilian bites depends on the species and if there is a potential for a poisonous bite.  Beside local care for the bite wound, there are medications and therapies available to counteract the toxin from the biting reptile.

AIDS Zombies! Flee!
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:13 pm UTC

It pisses me off so so so much when I see someone complain at a restaurant for the most ridiculous things. HAIR?!?!? IT'S FRIGGIN PROTEIN! AND IT'S REMOVABLE! So what if your fork has a smudge? Wipe it off and shut the hell up!

notallama

Postby notallama » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:30 pm UTC

i generally complain if i find a pube in my food.

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:22 pm UTC

The only person I really share utensils and food with is the boyfriend, and hey, I am making out with him, any germs he has, chances are I already have them.

I will share my bottled water sometimes, but it makes me feel a bit ick when I go to drink out of it, I guess it is a mind over matter thing.

My mum keeps telling me that once you have children, you'll eat anything. Kids give you their half finished icecreams or sandwiches and you just eat them. I don't want to be a parent.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:27 pm UTC

My mum keeps telling me that once you have children, you'll eat anything. Kids give you their half finished icecreams or sandwiches and you just eat them. I don't want to be a parent.

Eww eww eww. I'll eat food off the floor if it hasn't been there very long, but fucked if I'm touching anything a 4 year old has had its mouth on. Little bastards are just petri dishes with sneakers and noisemakers.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:28 pm UTC

All the more reason to eat after them.

And.. cut their vocal cords, I guess.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “Food”