Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

thecommabandit

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:12 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Oh noes, D2D wants your money now.
http://www.direct2drive.com/promos/d2d-turns-6/

Nothing much this week, unless you didn't pick up that Penumbra collection previously.

Here's hoping they put that newly-released PC version of the Broken Sword Director's Cut up for grabs.

Those deals would be good were it not for the fact that, yet again, they are priced exactly the same in dollars, pounds and euros. Why does D2D not seem to understand the concept of exchange rates? People from Europe will pay about two USD more than Americans and people from the UK will pay three and a half-odd more USD than Americans.

SlyReaper wrote:I am now waiting for Worms Reloaded to go on sale.

I'd say it'll go on sale at Christmas. Unfortunately, today is the last day you can buy it and get the Holy Hand Grenades for TF2 D=

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:35 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Why does D2D not seem to understand the concept of exchange rates? People from Europe will pay about two USD more than Americans and people from the UK will pay three and a half-odd more USD than Americans.
I guess "Everything is Six!" just sounds too nice from a marketing standpoint.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:26 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:I am now waiting for Worms Reloaded to go on sale.
I'd say it'll go on sale at Christmas. Unfortunately, today is the last day you can buy it and get the Holy Hand Grenades for TF2 D=
Or if you're lucky, thanksgiving. Also, trading's coming in the next big TF2 patch so there's the possibility you'll be able to trade for them, though I doubt it.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:47 am UTC

Impulse is having a sale with some proceeds going towards Child's Play.

Not sure if there's too much to note, Unreal titles are all on sale (individually, or bundled), and you can pick up the Dragon Age bundle for the same price as just Awakening.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:33 pm UTC

There's not much time left, and I wish I knew how much - but for now, you can still buy the Telltale Games Great Adventure Bundle 2010.
http://www.telltalegames.com/adventurebundle

For $20 ($5 of which goes to charity), you get
The Whispered World
Jack Keane
King's Quest Collection
Penny Arcade Adventures Ep. 1
Puzzle Agent
And, just maybe, Sam & Max Season 2.

There's been some grumbling about the clumsiness of the packaging, but not a bad deal, it seems.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:40 am UTC

I have no idea how long this deal will last, but a friend pointed it out to me yesterday. Not sure where he found out.

Anyhow, Fable II is free on Xbox Game Marketplace right now. It doesn't appear to be a Gold member only thing, since I was able to do it with just silver, although at least one other person complained following the link below showed them it would cost $19.99. So, not sure what's going on there.

link
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:45 am UTC

Batman: Arkham Asylum is on sale on Steam for 13.60 USD this weekend. Here's the page in the store.

At the risk of asking a stupid question, the demo I played for that game didn't have an option to adjust visual settings. The final game does have that, right?
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:51 am UTC

Oh, those (not so great) Monkey Island chapters (in crap Escape From Monkey Island polygo3D) are all available for £3.50. They used to be £5 a pop, and there's five chapters?
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

cv4

Postby cv4 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:10 pm UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:Batman: Arkham Asylum is on sale on Steam for 13.60 USD this weekend. Here's the page in the store.

At the risk of asking a stupid question, the demo I played for that game didn't have an option to adjust visual settings. The final game does have that, right?

Yep. It has a settings tab for visuals.

Also, the game is fantastic.

defaultusername

Postby defaultusername » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:07 pm UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:Batman: Arkham Asylum is on sale on Steam for 13.60 USD this weekend. Here's the page in the store.

Good news everyone, Valve no longer thinks $=€:
$13.60=17.00€
Wait, what?
Because phlogiston.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:19 pm UTC

defaultusername wrote:

Good news everyone, Valve no longer thinks $=€:
$13.60=17.00€
Wait, what?

It seems to be doing the calculations backwards
17 USD ~= 13 EUR
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Oh, those (not so great) Monkey Island chapters (in crap Escape From Monkey Island polygo3D) are all available for £3.50. They used to be £5 a pop, and there's five chapters?
Just last week the whole season was on sale for $5, if you missed it.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:36 am UTC

Metro 2033 is available for cheapity-cheap (~£6 in the UK) for a few more hours. It's meant to be an unpolished gem like STALKER, or so I'm told.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:43 am UTC

Personally, I got bored with Metro 2033. Enemies were like bullet sponges - you could place a carefully aimed shot right between their eyes and they would just carry on fighting. The outdoors sections were annoying too, because it was like a panicked scavenger hunt for gas mask filters.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:17 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Personally, I got bored with Metro 2033. Enemies were like bullet sponges - you could place a carefully aimed shot right between their eyes and they would just carry on fighting. The outdoors sections were annoying too, because it was like a panicked scavenger hunt for gas mask filters.
Really? I never had a filter problem, usually I had a lot of spares when finished with outdoor areas. I was only ever annoyed when your gask mask gets damaged and you don't find a new one for a while.

The enemies do eat bullets for breakfast though. Especially the damn librarians, they could use up quite a few rounds of SHOTGUN ammo...

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:55 pm UTC

Monsters soaking up damage I could understand (are librarians monsters? I didn't get that far). But humans? Since when has a human being ever been able to take a pistol shot betwixt the eyes and then carry on fighting as if nothing was wrong?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:36 pm UTC

I got Titan Quest and its expansion for $5 yesterday. Seems like it's worth the couple hours I'll put into it.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

Seems like Steam is having a Halloween sale. I just picked up Worms Reloaded for 9 quid. I've been waiting for that game to be put on discount.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:47 am UTC

I think I will finally shell out for Plants vs Zombies. People won't stop talking about it, and I'll admit the Flash demo version was kinda cool.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:55 am UTC

=D

Plants vs. Zombies is great. I doubt you'll regret it. ;)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:29 am UTC

PvZ won't work on my computer. :cry:

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:08 pm UTC

Finally! I've been waiting months for PvZ to go on sale so I could pick it up. Because $5 is a much more attractive price than $10. And I went ahead and bought 2 copies anyway. One for me, one for gf.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:09 am UTC

See, the thing is, Popcap might just give it away for free sooner or later. (They had a 1-day thing with Bejeweled Twist a few weeks ago.)

Anyway, you can also get it from BigFishGames for the same price for five bucks with the coupon code "spooky" - but I think Popcap uses DRM everywhere.
http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-ga ... _700911151

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:28 pm UTC

No harm in promoting this here, I reckon.

Are you on Facebook? Do you enjoy quirky, indie physics-based games like Gish? Because Chronic Logic will *give* you a game of your choice if you post on the relevant Facebook post for the next 24 hours or so.
http://www.facebook.com/ChronicLogicGames

If none of the bridge construction games appeal to you, you may enjoy Triptych, which is reminiscent of http://www.facebook.com/ChronicLogicGames - but it's also the second-least expensive game in the catalogue. (Remember that Gish is pay-what-you-want now.)

cv4

Postby cv4 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:46 pm UTC

Picked up Dead Space for $10 during Steam's Halloween sale. Really need to stop buying games just because of good prices. Have such a backlog between PC, 360 and PS3 games.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:21 pm UTC

I got Amnesia The Dark Descent in that sale, and it's bloody terrifying. It's the sort of game where you never seem to get a good look at the Lovecraftian abominations that are stalking you. So far, all I've seen are glimpses of them, but I just know they're going to jump out and go WAARRGGHH in my face at some point, but they haven't yet and the tension is killing me.

I can only seem to play it for about half an hour at a time before I'm like "oh fuck I don't want to be here any more, let me out!" and exit the game.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:18 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I got Amnesia The Dark Descent in that sale, and it's bloody terrifying. It's the sort of game where you never seem to get a good look at the Lovecraftian abominations that are stalking you. So far, all I've seen are glimpses of them, but I just know they're going to jump out and go WAARRGGHH in my face at some point, but they haven't yet and the tension is killing me.

I can only seem to play it for about half an hour at a time before I'm like "oh fuck I don't want to be here any more, let me out!" and exit the game.

I got that feeling by just watching the trailer.

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:56 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Monsters soaking up damage I could understand (are librarians monsters? I didn't get that far). But humans? Since when has a human being ever been able to take a pistol shot betwixt the eyes and then carry on fighting as if nothing was wrong?

The only really guaranteed instakill shot on a person is actually severing the brain stem, something virtually impossible to hit without a high precision rifle on a motionless target. People have survived having half their brains blown out by a magnum. It's not common (certainly not as common as in video games) but has happened.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:15 pm UTC

WarDaft wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Monsters soaking up damage I could understand (are librarians monsters? I didn't get that far). But humans? Since when has a human being ever been able to take a pistol shot betwixt the eyes and then carry on fighting as if nothing was wrong?

The only really guaranteed instakill shot on a person is actually severing the brain stem, something virtually impossible to hit without a high precision rifle on a motionless target. People have survived having half their brains blown out by a magnum. It's not common (certainly not as common as in video games) but has happened.

There's "survive" and there's "carry on like nothing happened". I don't think the latter is possible after a gunshot to the head.

savanik

Postby savanik » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:27 pm UTC

There's a really sweet deal right now on Steam where you can pick up all the GTA games, 1 through San Andreas, for $7.50. Goes through 'till Monday.

Yes, that includes GTA 2, considered by many to be the pinnacle of the series. Oh, TV announcer voice, how I missed thee...
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:13 pm UTC

On the other hand, one can download GTA 1 and 2 for free from Rockstar website.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:26 pm UTC

The deal seemed to imply that they're available through Steam for free, as well, but they may only be in packages. I got the deal, though, since I haven't played the earlier GTAs much.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:30 pm UTC

My GTA 1 crashes the second time I try to play it. It's like a NES game. I have to complete it in one sitting. Is there anywhere you can get dependable copies of London 1969/1961 for free/cheap? (these also crash on my machine). I loved playing the Michael Caine character. But making Chelsea look like Bermondsey? It's like making Times Square look like Spanish Harlem.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:31 pm UTC

GTA1 had some pretty bad compatibility problems with nVidia cards until a recent driver update. So, if you have an nVidia card, you should update your drivers before trying to run the game.

Apparently the same fix works for London 1969, but you have to rename the 1969 executable to "Grand Theft Auto.exe" to make it work.

As for where to get 1969, I have no idea; the last time I saw it was in a little jewel case bundle with the other older GTA games many, many years ago. (London 1961, by the way, is a free download - but it requires a London 1969 installation to work.)

savanik wrote:Yes, that includes GTA 2, considered by many to be the pinnacle of the series.
Zuh? By most accounts I am familiar with it is the nadir.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:04 am UTC

Felstaff wrote: It's like a NES game...
Yeah. I enjoy that character selection has no bearing on the game whatsoever, and I mainly can't even work out where to go for the first mission, then get bored and try to cause havoc. So, in effect, it has the spirit of GTA.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:28 pm UTC

Well I've finished Amnesia. It's not as scary towards the end because you've already gotten a good look at some of the monsters, know how fast they can run, etc. Still some pant-wetting moments where you have to run without looking back, and have no idea what's following you.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:19 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:I mainly can't even work out where to go for the first mission

I will help you out with this next time I'm over? I <3 the first four missions, and if you get the multiplyer up to 4x, all you need to do is hijack a train, keep getting on and off (so more people disembark) then when the platform is busy enough fire one bullet to make the crowd scatter. Most will run on to the tracks, get electrocuted, and you'll get over a million points - enough to progress to the next level. Stealing a large truck and careering through the Estoria Expressway is also much fun. Especially when you hit a tiny motorbike at full pelt. (it just blows up! heeeeee)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:06 pm UTC

Speaking of GTA as NES game, have you seen this Retro City Rampage thing yet? I hope it comes out for the PC eventually.

And now I shall shamelessly copy some useful links from another forum.

Steam Price Comparisons
This site displays deals from STEAM.
Looks better compared to the second site (euro site.)
Displays game prices between the 3 major currencies: US Dollars, British Pounds & Euros. (displays more, but not much of a difference)
Shows upcoming games, newest games released, discounts (compared to other currencies) and ripoffs (compared to other currencies.)

Steam Game Sales
This site displays all the deals from STEAM, as well as Direct2Drive, EA, GamersGate & Impulse.
Has price changes & recent price history.
Has player game reviews.
Has a chance to win a STEAM game. (depends on the number of people enter)

Steam Stats
For all achievement-based STEAM players out there, you can rank yourself with other gamers based on how many achievements you have.
It only ranks people who are ACTIVE with the site. (meaning visiting every few weeks)

Steam Calculator
By some chance you want to see how much your STEAM account is worth.
Basically adds up all the games you have with the current prices and voila, that's your STEAM account current (face) value.

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:49 am UTC

Felstaff wrote: Especially when you hit a tiny motorbike at full pelt. (it just blows up! heeeeee)

I haven't played one, but this is a LOT of fun in four.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:33 am UTC

Age of Empires III is $0.10 on the Games for Windows marketplace. It's probably a mistake, so I'd act fast.

Edit: It's no mistake. It's the deal of the day.

Return to “Gaming”