0812: "Glass"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

black_hat_guy

0812: "Glass"

Postby black_hat_guy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:12 am UTC

Title-Text: I read in this one article that the breaking of electroweak symmetry is the reason we have SOULS. This guy with a degree said so!

This is just creepy.
Billy was a chemist.
He isn't any more.
What he thought was H2O
was H2SO4.

wackojacko1138

Re: 0812: Glass

Postby wackojacko1138 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:14 am UTC

I guess the laws of physics still haven't recovered from the latest Order of the Stick.

ezzieyguywuf

Postby ezzieyguywuf » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:16 am UTC

You know what this made me think of? This episode of Yes Dear when the guy's on the roof and accidentally falls off. The mom says "Hey are you alright?" and he says "Yea, I was just testing the gravity. It still works don't worry". If only she had jumped out from behind the door and scared the bajeezus out of him....

IIAOPSW

Postby IIAOPSW » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:16 am UTC

funny. must be a very precise resonant frequency to turn water to blood.
-President of the peoples republik of the internet.

screw your coffee, i download my java!

black_hat_guy

Postby black_hat_guy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:17 am UTC

Being atheist, I guess I just don't like the idea of physics being sentient. I was explaining the police officer metaphor for virtual particles to a friend and he said he was a physics police. This made me cringe.
Billy was a chemist.
He isn't any more.
What he thought was H2O
was H2SO4.

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:33 am UTC

I've always thought of physics as quite stupid: you can't convince it to do anything differently from the way it has always done things, no matter how you try. And it claims all the "new discoveries" are really stuff physics has been doing all along, we just haven't noticed physics doing them.

black_hat_guy

Postby black_hat_guy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:41 am UTC

webgiant wrote:I've always thought of physics as quite stupid: you can't convince it to do anything differently from the way it has always done things, no matter how you try. And it claims all the "new discoveries" are really stuff physics has been doing all along, we just haven't noticed physics doing them.
You're right, it's possible that stuff started happening after we noticed it (let's keep quantum mechanics out of this), but it's not very likely and doesn't make sense.
Billy was a chemist.
He isn't any more.
What he thought was H2O
was H2SO4.

WontonSoup

Postby WontonSoup » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:57 am UTC

Reminds me of "It MUST be true! I read it on the internet!"

katrmr

Postby katrmr » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:59 am UTC

Do I understand right that a 'degree' is a PhD? After reading "4 Hour Workweek", you'll have trouble trusting PhD's. Cause it's now just a marketing thing.

hrasdt

Postby hrasdt » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:01 am UTC

Would it be more disturbing if they were actually intending for the water to change to blood, or if "Physics" just made it happen out of mischief?

katrmr

Postby katrmr » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:02 am UTC

@black_hat_guy: can you really be sure that a chair, when you turn your back to it, doesn't transform into a rabbit?

black_hat_guy

Postby black_hat_guy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:04 am UTC

I can't.
Billy was a chemist.
He isn't any more.
What he thought was H2O
was H2SO4.

Val

Postby Val » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:14 am UTC

They should have realized something was up when the half notes floated in mid-fucking-air!
Butts.

Ghavrel

Postby Ghavrel » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:24 am UTC

katrmr wrote:Do I understand right that a 'degree' is a PhD? After reading "4 Hour Workweek", you'll have trouble trusting PhD's. Cause it's now just a marketing thing.

I started having trouble trusting PhDs when I started going to college. Probably a liberal arts thing.
"Si ad naturam vives, numquam eris pauper; si ad opiniones, numquam eris dives."
Live rightly and you shall never be poor; live for fame and you shall never have wealth.
~Epicurus, via Seneca

Gamer_2k4

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:55 am UTC

what is going on here

no really

dysprog

Postby dysprog » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:59 am UTC

Ghavrel wrote:
katrmr wrote:Do I understand right that a 'degree' is a PhD? After reading "4 Hour Workweek", you'll have trouble trusting PhD's. Cause it's now just a marketing thing.

I started having trouble trusting PhDs when I started going to college. Probably a liberal arts thing.

It depends on the discipline. In physics and chemistry, they know what they are talking about . Some of the humanities, they're making stuff up

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:02 am UTC

Ghavrel wrote:

I started having trouble trusting PhDs when I got to my second year of undergraduate physics and realized that two of my professors disagreed. Probably a science thing.

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:06 am UTC

black_hat_guy wrote:Title-Text: I read in this one article that the breaking of electroweak symmetry is the reason we have SOULS. This guy with a degree said so!

Whether you trust what the guy-with-degree wrote should depend not so much on the degree but rather on what other things the guy-with-degree wrote (and published). #advantagesofapeerreviewsystem
Last edited by davidstarlingm on Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ghavrel

Postby Ghavrel » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:06 am UTC

dysprog wrote:It depends on the discipline. In physics and chemistry, they know what they are talking about . Some of the humanities, they're making stuff up

There's certainly more emphasis placed on analyzing the credibility of one's sources... but how exactly do airplanes stay up? :P

People in humanities aren't just coming up with things; they're applying systematic methods of analysis. Just because the method of analysis isn't empirical doesn't mean it's fabricated. Likewise, empiricism can be abused. Only I get to be deprecatory about what I study!

davidstarlingm wrote:I started having trouble trusting PhDs when I got to my second year of undergraduate physics and realized that two of my professors disagreed. Probably a science thing.

This too is true.
Last edited by Ghavrel on Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Si ad naturam vives, numquam eris pauper; si ad opiniones, numquam eris dives."
Live rightly and you shall never be poor; live for fame and you shall never have wealth.
~Epicurus, via Seneca

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:08 am UTC

Not necessarily, pretty much anything you can get at a University can be called a degree, it doesn't have to be a doctorate.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:19 am UTC

black_hat_guy wrote:Being atheist, I guess I just don't like the idea of physics being sentient...
I think only fundementalist Jedi knights would like the idea.

The term "degree" usually applies to Bachelors. If another kind of degree is meant, it'll be qualified - e.g. "Master's degree". In Europe at least.

I did read a short science-fiction story where the laws of science were ill-defined, until repeated experiment fixed the results. Can't remember who it is by, or what it was called. If only there was a world-wide communication network/information repository I could search to find out. :?
Last edited by NotAllThere on Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

Ghandi 2

Postby Ghandi 2 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:19 am UTC

What the fuck is this shit?

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:21 am UTC

Ghandi 2 wrote:What the fuck is this shit?

At last. A witty, intelligent comment.
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

±EDy

Postby ±EDy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:23 am UTC

Gamer_2k4 wrote:
Ghavrel wrote:I started having trouble trusting PhDs when I started going to college. Probably a liberal arts thing.

It depends on the discipline. In physics and chemistry, they know what they are talking about. Some of the humanities, they're making stuff up

I'd say whatever the discipline, some Grads do know what they are doing... and if they are intelligent, they will know why. I would add thought that most don't, and graduate by their shear perseverence and the pity of their supervisor.

-----------------
Edit: Contextualized the quote

darthdavid

Postby darthdavid » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:36 am UTC

Ultimately, you should be analyzing any statements made by anyone (regardless of their level of education) on those statement's own merits if you're going to be make an important decision based on said statements. Having a reputable degree from a reputable university does show that someone has put in the time and effort to gain a decent understanding in their chosen field so you ought to accord them a bit more trust on matters pertaining to that field right off the bat, but you shouldn't automatically assume they're right about anything. Likewise, there are plenty of other measures one can use to determine how much credence to give someone right off the bat but at the end of the day what matters is what they're saying and whether the evidence supports it.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:40 am UTC

So you're saying that doggedness with garden implements is a substitute for knowledge?

Assuming the 'many simulations' hypothesis, this comic presents an entirely plausible scenario.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

madock345

Postby madock345 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:58 am UTC

wackojacko1138 wrote:I guess the laws of physics still haven't recovered from the latest Order of the Stick.

You sir, just won the internet
"As the size of an Explosion increses the number of social situations it is incapable of resolving approches zero"
-Vaarsuvius, The Order of the Stick
Spoiler:
ethereal_fire wrote:madock345, I like your sig : )

Qwerty.55 wrote:I like your new recursive sig even better than before.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:04 am UTC

Eh, this one is a bit of a letdown after such a good start to the week and a pretty good followup on Wednesday.

I'm redeeming it in my own mind by pretending it's a scene from a Nobilis game. :P
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

Singulaire

Postby Singulaire » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:23 am UTC

You have to cut Physics some slack. I mean, think of it from her point of view:
Every time she thinks up something clever, we figure it out and start abusing it to do ridiculous things like flying and transmitting power wirelessly. Then Physics throws us a curveball- Quantum Mechanics. It's her friggin' Magnum Opus, filled with things like reality being dependent on observation, temporary violation of the principles of conservation and instantaneous transmission of information. And then we start using THAT and treating it like it's a great time. If you were Physics, you would snap too.

N.B.- yes, I characterised Physics as a singular female entity. I think Feynman did that once. Or maybe he was talking about nature? Fuck, then... uhm.. I guess that's what my old D&D handbooks used to refer to third persons of unknown gender.

wackojacko1138 wrote:I guess the laws of physics still haven't recovered from the latest Order of the Stick.

honestly, I'm surprised gravity doesn't just do this to wizards
Last edited by Singulaire on Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:24 am UTC

Sadly, this just confuses me.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

TurtleMidget

Postby TurtleMidget » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:29 am UTC

Why is the girl in the last panel speaking to the back of the guy's head?
Edit: Unless she's actually targeting her remark towards the "Physics" entity, which I had assumed to be unknown until after she spoke.
Edit2: Also, what the crap is on the table in the last panel?
GENERATION 98: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

brood

Postby brood » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:09 am UTC

the ledger lines on the music notes bug me. I get why they're there, but it still looks pretty awkward.

alun009

Postby alun009 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:20 am UTC

"No, wait. This is blood"

What sort of person would be able to immediately (and correctly) identify a glass of blood. :twisted: :P

SW15243

Postby SW15243 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:32 am UTC

Singulaire wrote: ...reality being dependent on observation...

I'm an English major.
Short version: Earth has draw distance?
And, more importantly, can we use quantum mechanics to finally answer the 'if a tree falls in the forest' question?

Tualha

Postby Tualha » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:07 am UTC

NotAllThere wrote:
black_hat_guy wrote:I did read a short science-fiction story where the laws of science were ill-defined, until repeated experiment fixed the results. Can't remember who it is by, or what it was called. If only there was a world-wide communication network/information repository I could search to find out. :?

Heinlein's "Waldo" touched upon that concept. Bear's novel Blood Music used a similar concept, and there was a short version, but I don't think that concept was in it.

Tualha

Postby Tualha » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:10 am UTC

alun009 wrote:"No, wait. This is blood"

What sort of person would be able to immediately (and correctly) identify a glass of blood. :twisted: :P

Spoilered for gross:
Spoiler:
Anyone who's had a lot of nosebleeds. By smell.

Edit: I suppose a lot of people will find that disgusting. Sorry. It's true, though.

mcv

Postby mcv » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:45 am UTC

webgiant wrote:I've always thought of physics as quite stupid: you can't convince it to do anything differently from the way it has always done things, no matter how you try. And it claims all the "new discoveries" are really stuff physics has been doing all along, we just haven't noticed physics doing them.

Sometimes I wonder if God isn't just making stuff up as he goes along, but wants to present a logically consistent universe to us, and the more we discover about how the universe works, the more he feels bound to stick to the rules.

And then we caught him into some inconsistencies, and he quickly made up Quantum Mechanics overnight. At least that's how WM sometimes feels to me.

Ninto55

Postby Ninto55 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:27 am UTC

Matthias wrote:Eh, this one is a bit of a letdown after such a good start to the week and a pretty good followup on Wednesday.

I'm redeeming it in my own mind by pretending it's a scene from a Nobilis game. :P
Ninto55, derping with the you since '42!

melladh

Postby melladh » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:37 am UTC

Tualha wrote:
alun009 wrote:"No, wait. This is blood"

Spoilered for gross:
Spoiler:
Anyone who's had a lot of nosebleeds. By smell.

Edit: I suppose a lot of people will find that disgusting. Sorry. It's true, though.

Also, vampires.
...not the sparkly kind. They're not really vampires.
Image Image

Sharon_Gaughan

Postby Sharon_Gaughan » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:48 am UTC

Randall has ramped up his marriage-themed strips lately. This is one of his best.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”