Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Lime

Postby Lime » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:41 am UTC

Typically when a forum has a "share music" thread, it's people posting a few bands to showcase their clear superiority, then leaving. Nobody actually listens to it. So there's going to be one, very simple rule here. For every piece of music you post, you have to comment on another. I don't know how well this will turn out, but bear with me now. Just listen to somebody else's music, tell them what you like or don't like about it. Maybe the drums are really sweet, or you love the vocal harmonies, or you think that guitar solo is absolutely face melting. Or maybe you think the singer needs voice lessons, or the guitar player needs to wash his hair. No problem. Keep it civil, and remember, you HAVE to comment on something every time you post something, if only to prove you ACTUALLY listened to it.

The first piece I'm going to share with you all is a song by the Rural Alberta Advantage, an indie folk kinda band, who ironically enough, are from Toronto. The singer/guitarist went to my highschool (in rural Alberta) a few years ago, which is how I found out about them. It's called Don't Haunt This Place. Check out the drum beat, it's really intricate, as well as the vocal harmonies. Oh, and if anyone could tell me if it's possible to embed youtube videos here, that'd just be rad as heck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GupdrkZMYpA

Роберт

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby Роберт » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:58 pm UTC

Oh, this isn't for music you were involved in creating? Oh well.

I wouldn't really call that track indie/folk without "punk" in that list. The girls vocals are fine, but the male vocals definitely say soft punk to me. I did like the song, though. Songs always get bonus points for good endings, and lose big points for fading out. I thought the ending was very appropriate.

Um, I guess that means I get to post a song I like. I'll go the Stand Alight by Paper Crows. I've posted it elsewhere, but I like it. http://www.myspace.com/papercrows
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

cba

Postby cba » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:57 pm UTC

I quite like this idea actually! :P

Stand alight by Paper crows sounds... interesting... kinda haunting almost...
The electronic sound in the background for the most part of the song sounds a bit strange I think, but it does work pretty well with the song.
after about 3 mins it almost feels like the song changes, I had to check that it hadnt! lol
I thought it might go back to the original sound of the song after that point but it didnt... which seemed like a weird ending, but overall the song wasnt't bad :)
The song i'm going to suggest is 'I am tokyo' by Gin Panic
I only heard of them last week, but I'm quite hooked on this song...
For the first time ever! flatland in a mind-boggling 3D!
import antigravity

Lime

Postby Lime » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:25 am UTC

cba wrote:I quite like this idea actually! :P

Stand alight by Paper crows sounds... interesting... kinda haunting almost...
The electronic sound in the background for the most part of the song sounds a bit strange I think, but it does work pretty well with the song.
after about 3 mins it almost feels like the song changes, I had to check that it hadnt! lol
I thought it might go back to the original sound of the song after that point but it didnt... which seemed like a weird ending, but overall the song wasnt't bad :)
The song i'm going to suggest is 'I am tokyo' by Gin Panic
I only heard of them last week, but I'm quite hooked on this song...

Thanks, I just love sharing music with people, and I noticed this recurring trend with music threads.

I listened to You've Got An Answer, by Gin Panic. I really dig that guitar riff. It's got kind of an odd timing, but they make it work, which I like. The overall feel of the song is almost Modest Mouse-esque, dare I make the comparison. The only bad part I found with it was that the bass was a little too punchy for my tastes.

This next band is another one from my town. They just broke up earlier this year, sadly enough, but they're freaking awesome. Post hardcore/punk stuff, really cool. This song, Bowling Hall Bitter Love Scene has a pretty cool synth part, and I really like the vocals. Also, this band's guitarist has some kind of magic pixie dust in his instruments to make them get really amazing tone.
http://www.myspace.com/music/721876/songs/35077984

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:50 pm UTC

I listened to the first song. Reminds me a LOT of dananananakroyd, but a bit less frenetic, which is actually a very good thing.

This is a local band
http://www.myspace.com/smallbonesband
uhhhh fuck.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:13 am UTC

I LOVE The Rural Alberta Advantage. I was lucky enough to see them twice, both at the same small club but the second much more packed. They have a great energy and I have a poster signed by all three of them. The drummer is out right crazy and one of the most fun performers to just watch. Their whole album is great BTW, and Frank, AB is one of my favorite songs from 2009.

The Small Bones sounds a bit quiet. I am guessing that was because of recording problems, but if it isn't it works in your advantage. I enjoy occasional soft acoustic rock and you guys seem to have something going. Try playing as an opening act at Bottom of the Hill. They are really awesome as a place to showcase bands from around the Bay Area and East Bay, and it's where I saw TRAA.

Anyway, for my band I pick I The Mighty. I have been going to their shows for the last year or so and know each of the band members quite well. They've gotten a decent amount of attention around the Bay Area and it would be great for them to reach outside of California.

The other person I want to show is Mindthings. I know I have been pimping his name out for the last few years, but he has gained some popularity on Youtube as background music. It's the kind of music that you know you've heard before, but sounds completely original. If I had to describe it, it would be Thievery Corporation but with a classical feel rather than a world beat one.

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:11 am UTC

Rural Alberta Advantage are actually pretty nice. I was in a long-slow music mood before listening so hated the first twenty seconds but am now more bouncy. I'm glad of the drums which give it a bit of kick. Thanks :)

Paper Crows even sound a little dubstep with that bass. I like the slow and sweet singing. The piano sounded a bit overdone till the weird accidental which redeemed it a little but I'm still waiting for more dischord. As it's beginning to build the really disparate elements are coming together in a cool way. Not sure if the slow build justified the breakdown. AH! It's much better loud. Good atmosphere music. Cheers :)

Desiderata isn't the kind of music I normally listen but this is fun. The vocals aren't over the top---the shoutiness becomes an instrument. There's enough going on musically to keep the attention. I'm glad to have heard this as it reminds me that I don't have much hi-energy stuff and should probably change this. Ta :)

Thanks for posting, but Small Bones ain't my thing. The vocals are a bit weak and the music itself is a bit listless and plodding, even their faster tempo stuff.

I the Mighty put me off with the American teenaged boy voice. They're quite good technically but not my thing. Radio 1 in the UK went through a period of playing this type of rock and it never gelled with me. Mindthings is quite nice but I don't see anything to bring me back in the piece linked. It reminds me of the style of background music in the old Uplink game, which I quite liked.

Ohmanohmanohman, okay, so, for some kind of lo-fi slowcore folk try Eagleowl. Their stuff is all online on Bandcamp. If the first song on the EP I've linked is a bit cloying but you're not ready to give up on them yet then skip to Track 2, Morpheus, which lifts the pace a little.

The other band I want to plug right now is A Silver Mt. Zion. Turn it up loud. If you can forgive the crazy vocals, which make perfect sense when you've settled into it, then the choral accompaniment and the big crunchy double-bass and the expansive guitar and the sheer atmosphere will repay listening more every time you listen.

PumpkinKing

Postby PumpkinKing » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

I'm liking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpFjQOl0JoA&feature=related a lot, I find it very calming... or thats really not the right word but I do like it quite a bit... maybe... hmmm... it's complex without being too frantic which is an issue I've seen with a lot of similar stuff.

I think I should bring some hip hop into this for some balance. Dumbfoundead is a rapper who's just kind of been hanging out in the back constantly being almost famous. He's from LA and was big in the battle rap scene. He is a really talented rapper and everyone should check out his stuff whether or not they like hip hop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpFjQOl0JoA&feature=related

traveltheory

Postby traveltheory » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:54 am UTC

Im a little stunned at how fantastic that song was

Refering to Lime's post. Im stll learning the forum functions :x

Lime

Postby Lime » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:25 am UTC

PumpkinKing wrote:I'm liking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpFjQOl0JoA&feature=related a lot, I find it very calming... or thats really not the right word but I do like it quite a bit... maybe... hmmm... it's complex without being too frantic which is an issue I've seen with a lot of similar stuff.

This was pretty good, but I feel like I've heard it before. Kind of generic. Not bad though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH3CRVVBL9o&feature=related
This is In The Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel. Anyone into indie music has to listen to this, it's a requirement. The whole album is an amazing experience, a tribute to Anne Frank, but just this song is amazing. The vocals take some people a bit to get used to, but I love the nasal sound. The lyrics are simply beautiful. And there's this ethereal shimmering sound in the background that I can't identify but sounds fantastic. Also, there's a good horn part. This is actually probably the best song in the entire world.

traveltheory

Postby traveltheory » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:27 am UTC

I never liked neutral milk hotel. Just couldnt get into it.

Lime

Postby Lime » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:32 pm UTC

traveltheory wrote:I never liked neutral milk hotel. Just couldnt get into it.

What? Why not? What don't you like about them?

traveltheory

Postby traveltheory » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:28 am UTC

Well I never heard one of their songs and thought DAMN I love this band, I should find some more. It all seemed kinda average to me.

Lime

Postby Lime » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:51 am UTC

traveltheory wrote:Well I never heard one of their songs and thought DAMN I love this band, I should find some more. It all seemed kinda average to me.

I guess that's acceptable, at least you don't hate them though.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:20 am UTC

Lime wrote:
traveltheory wrote:Well I never heard one of their songs and thought DAMN I love this band, I should find some more. It all seemed kinda average to me.

I guess that's acceptable, at least you don't hate them though.

holland 1945 and two-headed boy were what did it for me. I don't really like the song 'in an aeroplane over the sea.' or THAT many songs on that album, actually. Those two, though--whooooo.

PumpkinKing wrote:I think I should bring some hip hop into this for some balance. Dumbfoundead is a rapper who's just kind of been hanging out in the back constantly being almost famous. He's from LA and was big in the battle rap scene. He is a really talented rapper and everyone should check out his stuff whether or not they like hip hop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpFjQOl0 ... re=related

You didn't actually bring in the hip-hop. That's the link to that boards-of-canada-y song at the start of your post.

BOARDS OF CANADA-Y, you might inquire?
I see your "mindthings - life's things" and raise you one Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy, which funnily enough also features sky pictures.
uhhhh fuck.

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:20 am UTC

PumpkinKing wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpFjQOl0JoA&feature=related

Quite nice but I thought some bits didn't gel, like the keyboard instrument with the forgettable melody. Would listen again.

Midnight wrote:BOARDS OF CANADA-Y, you might inquire?
I see your "mindthings - life's things" and raise you one Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy, which funnily enough also features sky pictures.

Turned up full this was kind of cool :) Gave a grey autumn day a kind of summer cruising feeling. Love anything with strings. --- Actually, this gets better as I listen to it. Programming/writing music.

Since we're having a hard time finding some hip hop to bring let me share a recommendation by a friend: Dan le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip starring in Thou Shalt Always Kill. They're a nice pair of guys.

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:28 pm UTC

Do you want to listen to the kind of music I like?

Its mostly country, 60's-70's era rock, romantic guitar/soft stuff, Brazilian lounge music and some modern grunge (nothing too much) and progressive rock/guitar virtuoso.

My Last.fm profile.
I write a blog rant here.

Lime

Postby Lime » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:07 pm UTC

archeleus wrote:Do you want to listen to the kind of music I like?

Its mostly country, 60's-70's era rock, romantic guitar/soft stuff, Brazilian lounge music and some modern grunge (nothing too much) and progressive rock/guitar virtuoso.

My Last.fm profile.

If you want to share music, you have to comment on somebody else's first.

Duban

Postby Duban » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:55 pm UTC

jobriath wrote:Since we're having a hard time finding some hip hop to bring let me share a recommendation by a friend: Dan le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip starring in Thou Shalt Always Kill. They're a nice pair of guys.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but what was that? For a band that stresses "Thou shall not make repetitive music" is seems a bit... repetitive. It just seems to me more like someone put together a list of grievances with a simple background beat than a song.

A bit more interesting. It's a bit mellow for my tastes but I could understand how some people could like it. I guess I'm just more of a metalhead.

Personally I really like Disturbed. Their music has a strong beat that rides the line between rock and metal and their songs are almost always either thought provoking, or has a point behind it.

Another way to die: It's all about global warming, pollution, and humanities mistreatment of the planet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsYVHZFukzc

My child: The song is about how the lead singer was getting ready to be a parent when his girlfriend at the time had a miscarriage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37SvQgIyJzU
It is not the gods I fear. No, It is those who claim to speak for them that concern me.

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:00 am UTC

Lime wrote:
archeleus wrote:Do you want to listen to the kind of music I like?

My Last.fm profile.

If you want to share music, you have to comment on somebody else's first.

Oh, even though I didn't mention it, I did like In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. I have also heard "Naomi" by them. I like the lyrics and the old feel to it.

Here's some good old Billy Vaughn music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW4ik4bEVQE

Dirk

Postby Dirk » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:24 pm UTC

This is a great idea :D

I recommend this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFZtSZQ0XgQ

My comments on other music:

Here's some good old Billy Vaughn music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW4ik4bEVQE

My friend next to me calls cheesy, but I like it! I must say I don't actually hear Holy Night in it, maybe I should listen to it twice :P
I like this, I recommend listening to Shostakovich Jazz suites if you like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH3CRVVB ... re=related
This is In The Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel. Anyone into indie music has to listen to this, it's a requirement.

I am very into indie music. I must say, I don't like this very much. It is very predictable, feels like a song that, even if you like it, you can listen to a few times and then be bored with it. His singing is also annoying to listen to, not pleasant at all, but that is very personal of course.

Lime

Postby Lime » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:10 am UTC

Dirk wrote:This is a great idea :D

I recommend this song:

This is In The Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel. Anyone into indie music has to listen to this, it's a requirement.

I am very into indie music. I must say, I don't like this very much. It is very predictable, feels like a song that, even if you like it, you can listen to a few times and then be bored with it. His singing is also annoying to listen to, not pleasant at all, but that is very personal of course.

That was really, really awesome. The bassline is so happy, even with the somewhat sad lyrics. Fantastic.

As for your opinion of Aeroplane Over the Sea, I disagree. I can't stop listening to it, the lyrics are really beautiful, and as for his voice, it IS very personal, and I personally love it. I digress though, to each their own.

This next song is by another local band. My town has an awesome music scene :P. Anyway, it's called Broken Anchors, by Fire Next Time, and it's about the town I'm from. It's really energetic punk/folk/rock/country, in that order. The lead singer is very dramatic and soulful. There's not a lot I can say to describe them, but I think they're fantastic. http://www.myspace.com/music/17642730/songs/67192632

Dirk

Postby Dirk » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:05 pm UTC

Lime wrote:
Dirk wrote:This is a great idea :D

I recommend this song:

That was really, really awesome. The bassline is so happy, even with the somewhat sad lyrics. Fantastic.

As for your opinion of Aeroplane Over the Sea, I disagree. I can't stop listening to it, the lyrics are really beautiful, and as for his voice, it IS very personal, and I personally love it. I digress though, to each their own.

This next song is by another local band. My town has an awesome music scene :P. Anyway, it's called Broken Anchors, by Fire Next Time, and it's about the town I'm from. It's really energetic punk/folk/rock/country, in that order. The lead singer is very dramatic and soulful. There's not a lot I can say to describe them, but I think they're fantastic. http://www.myspace.com/music/17642730/songs/67192632

All music by The Magic Numbers is great!

You're from Canada? I'm jealous, one of my piano students is a former-Canadian and she tells me learning music is mandatory at your schools. I can imagine that having benefits at long term. I think it might possibly explain why a lot of great artists are from Canada and why there is such a lively music scene(from what I perceive, at least).
I'm from Holland, we are generally not very musical people.... There are always exceptions of course.

I like Fire Next Time! It's happy, and pleasant to listen to.

I'm going to recommend Avishai Cohen - The ever evolving etude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGJd_LSktoo
It's rhythmically very exciting! Interesting fact: the cello that you hear at some parts is the bassist who uses his cello to play base with, he has a bow so that he can quickly switch between pick mode/cello mode.
Avishai Cohen is the bassist in this trio, he is considered a great musician and composer in jazz scenes.

Lime

Postby Lime » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

Dirk wrote:All music by The Magic Numbers is great!

You're from Canada? I'm jealous, one of my piano students is a former-Canadian and she tells me learning music is mandatory at your schools. I can imagine that having benefits at long term. I think it might possibly explain why a lot of great artists are from Canada and why there is such a lively music scene(from what I perceive, at least).
I'm from Holland, we are generally not very musical people.... There are always exceptions of course.

I like Fire Next Time! It's happy, and pleasant to listen to.

I'm going to recommend Avishai Cohen - The ever evolving etude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGJd_LSktoo
It's rhythmically very exciting! Interesting fact: the cello that you hear at some parts is the bassist who uses his cello to play base with, he has a bow so that he can quickly switch between pick mode/cello mode.
Avishai Cohen is the bassist in this trio, he is considered a great musician and composer in jazz scenes.

Well there's mandatory music classes from grades 1-6, then after that there's band class for those that wish to develop that skill a little further. Music classes in lower grades don't really teach a significant amount of music, but they do get lots of kids interested in learning other instruments and carrying on into high school, where you learn a bit more.

That song was really good! Very frantic, fast paced, and interesting. I think I noticed some odd time signatures in there, but they blended so smoothly I could hardly tell. I love when people actually know how to use alternative time signatures instead of just choosing them to be different. And there were some interesting cymbals being used. I know I heard a china for sure.

This song is called Needle in the Hay, by Elliot Smith. It's kind of sad, but his voice is really haunting in a beautiful kind of way. Sadly, he killed himself a few years ago, but I still find his music to be some of the best I've ever heard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHDbCC0Ongs

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:16 pm UTC

Duban wrote:
jobriath wrote:Since we're having a hard time finding some hip hop to bring let me share a recommendation by a friend: Dan le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip starring in Thou Shalt Always Kill. They're a nice pair of guys.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but what was that? For a band that stresses "Thou shall not make repetitive music" is seems a bit... repetitive. It just seems to me more like someone put together a list of grievances with a simple background beat than a song.

I like its playfulness, and Messrs Pip and Le Sac seem like cool guys. That's pretty much the hiphoppest I get, unless you count The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy, which are probably hiphopper.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:29 pm UTC

Duban wrote:

A bit more interesting. It's a bit mellow for my tastes but I could understand how some people could like it. I guess I'm just more of a metalhead.

You want metal? Opeth - Demon of the Fall. Their songs are long but at 2:40 it turns into just a funky awesome beat that is awesome. I love that riff. The very end bit too when he starts singing is also great.
uhhhh fuck.

Dirk

Postby Dirk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:16 am UTC

Lime wrote:Well there's mandatory music classes from grades 1-6, then after that there's band class for those that wish to develop that skill a little further. Music classes in lower grades don't really teach a significant amount of music, but they do get lots of kids interested in learning other instruments and carrying on into high school, where you learn a bit more.

I'm jealous!

I was lucky because my dad bought a keyboard when I was 12, so that I got interested in it. Its been a long but I've finally reached a place where I can play some decent things. But any additional input would've been very welcome.

Lime wrote:That song was really good! Very frantic, fast paced, and interesting. I think I noticed some odd time signatures in there, but they blended so smoothly I could hardly tell. I love when people actually know how to use alternative time signatures instead of just choosing them to be different. And there were some interesting cymbals being used. I know I heard a china for sure.

Avishai Cohen's trio is doing awesome things. It's contemporary jazz, the kind of music that we'll look back to in 40 years and say: "see, back THEN they knew what good music was!"

Lime wrote:This song is called Needle in the Hay, by Elliot Smith. It's kind of sad, but his voice is really haunting in a beautiful kind of way. Sadly, he killed himself a few years ago, but I still find his music to be some of the best I've ever heard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHDbCC0Ongs

I like it, I'll check out more of him.

I'm going to recommend The Hush Sound: City Traffic Puzzle
There's a chance you might have heard them before. But you never know, I don't know them very long, so.

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:43 am UTC

Lime wrote:This song is called Needle in the Hay, by Elliot Smith. It's kind of sad, but his voice is really haunting in a beautiful kind of way. Sadly, he killed himself a few years ago, but I still find his music to be some of the best I've ever heard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHDbCC0Ongs

I quite liked his voice and the simplicity of the guitar but his accent put me off. I'll keep listening and see if I can get used to it, since otherwise this one is a winner.

Put me a little in mind of the late Jackson C. Frank, who has a kind of blues-with-country-voice. My favourite song of his is Carnival

Abderite

Postby Abderite » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

Wow, I really like that! It's dark and catchy at the same time B)

http://www.myspace.com/catsandrobots has been one of my favourite artists for a pretty long time.

Duban

Postby Duban » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:36 pm UTC

Abderite wrote:Wow, I really like that! It's dark and catchy at the same time B)

http://www.myspace.com/catsandrobots has been one of my favourite artists for a pretty long time.

Not bad. Again, a bit on the softer side for me but that's ok.

How about some Shinedown?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdvbD3vyMdA
It is not the gods I fear. No, It is those who claim to speak for them that concern me.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:26 pm UTC

jobriath wrote:

I quite liked his voice and the simplicity of the guitar but his accent put me off. I'll keep listening and see if I can get used to it, since otherwise this one is a winner.

Accent? I'm pretty sure he spent most of his life on the American west coast. We speak the clearest English on Earth.

Duban wrote:
Abderite wrote:Wow, I really like that! It's dark and catchy at the same time B)

Not bad. Again, a bit on the softer side for me but that's ok.

I think that Muse is better than shinedown. This is a bit more of a heavier song than that one, but it's powerful vocals and a pretty huge sound for a 3-piece. That's live, cause I love them live, but it's easy to find that song with studio clarity.
I think Shinedown is so very generic.
uhhhh fuck.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:38 am UTC

Muse is great. I listen to one artist almost exclusively (or a pandora station based off it) for a week or so, and muse is among those I've done that with. I can't really pinpoint what I like about it. Good lyrics, a nice, almost smooth sound, and apparently they have incredible live shows.

For mine, 2 similar bands. Nightwish (which changed vocalists, so new and old), and Within Temptation (here is a representative song. it's not my favorite, but it's the general sound)
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Lime

Postby Lime » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:08 am UTC

Midnight wrote:You want metal? Opeth - Demon of the Fall. Their songs are long but at 2:40 it turns into just a funky awesome beat that is awesome. I love that riff. The very end bit too when he starts singing is also great.

Ewww, Opeth. I guess I'm not a metal person but there's just nothing appealing in that song.

Dirk wrote:I like it, I'll check out more of him.

I'm going to recommend The Hush Sound: City Traffic Puzzle
There's a chance you might have heard them before. But you never know, I don't know them very long, so.

Yeah, I love the Hush Sound. I first heard them on some video game soundtrack a few years back, SSX 3 or Burnout Revenge, or maybe SSX On Tour.

jobriath wrote:

Put me a little in mind of the late Jackson C. Frank, who has a kind of blues-with-country-voice. My favourite song of his is Carnival

That was simply sublime. Absolutely fantastic. His voice kind of reminds me of the guy from Placebo. I used to be real big on them, but not any more for some reason. But that song was really awesome.

This is nice, but it doesn't really stand out at me. I can't see myself putting something like this on my ipod.

Duban wrote:Not bad. Again, a bit on the softer side for me but that's ok.

Sounds like generic radio rock. :/
Sorry, but Shinedown don't really do anything for me.

Midnight wrote:
I think that Muse is better than shinedown. This is a bit more of a heavier song than that one, but it's powerful vocals and a pretty huge sound for a 3-piece. That's live, cause I love them live, but it's easy to find that song with studio clarity.
I think Shinedown is so very generic.

I don't really like Muse, they have some good songs (Starlight), but sometimes it just seems like they don't know how to write, like Supermassive Black Hole or Plug in Baby. That particular song was one of their better ones. I have to admire their punk attitude though- you ever see one of the shows were they were forced to lip sync? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqyOT5XpJbk

nbonaparte wrote:Muse is great. I listen to one artist almost exclusively (or a pandora station based off it) for a week or so, and muse is among those I've done that with. I can't really pinpoint what I like about it. Good lyrics, a nice, almost smooth sound, and apparently they have incredible live shows.

For mine, 2 similar bands. Nightwish (which changed vocalists, so new and old), and Within Temptation (here is a representative song. it's not my favorite, but it's the general sound)

Again, not a metal person, there was just nothing about Nightwish that drew me in. Meh. :/

This song is Where Is My Mind, by the Pixies. If you haven't heard this song yet, shame on you, listen to it now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGXdXcpNsv4

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:06 am UTC

Midnight wrote:Accent? I'm pretty sure he spent most of his life on the American west coast. We speak the clearest English on Earth.

You know what? I think maybe his English was too clear :D

Abderite wrote:http://www.myspace.com/catsandrobots has been one of my favourite artists for a pretty long time.

Yeah, nice sound. It's not nearly depressing enough for me to listen to on a regular basis but it's good light-and-airy alternative.

Yeeah, Muse :) Sometimes I get a little tired of them, but some mornings you just wake up with the craving.

The festival atmosphere reminded me of the new track from the upcoming album by Does It Offend You, Yeah?---shit name, but really, really good electronica-y glitchrock (not sure about genre). Their first album had a track called Attack of the 60 Foot Lesbian Octopus. My favourite track from it: Let's Make Out.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:59 pm UTC

jobriath wrote:The festival atmosphere reminded me of the new track from the upcoming album by Does It Offend You, Yeah?---shit name, but really, really good electronica-y glitchrock (not sure about genre).

Grrr... this is why I don't like a lot of electronica - too repetitive! It's like decent indie rock, but the electronica - part... not quite... Actually, maybe I just need to get used to it. Hmm... playing again. Yeah, I liked it better the second time, I still don't like the first electronica part though.

@Lime: So you don't like metal at all? Nightwish might still have some tracks you like. Try Eva and The Islander. If you like those and want to give Nightwish more of a try, then you might try Last of the Wilds which is connected to The Islander anyway, for the energetic melodic metalish stuff similar to Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Or, if your feeling adventurous, The Poet and the Pendulum, which has some metal in it, but a lot that isn't. All of these tracks are from the album Dark Passion Play.

@Abderite: cats and robots are ok, but I was only able to listen to city.mp3, the other songs weren't available.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:46 am UTC

Lime wrote:This song is Where Is My Mind, by the Pixies. If you haven't heard this song yet, shame on you, listen to it now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGXdXcpNsv4

Great song, I had forgotten about this.

Duban wrote:How about some Shinedown?

I like this. I can't pinpoint what exactly I like about it, but I love the overall thing and am listening to it for a third time now.

How about some Gaelic music? I love the band Mannheim Steamroller, their Christmas songs anyway. It's not Christmas yet but I'm finding myself listening to "Carol of the Bells" by them. Here's a link.

Midnight wrote:You want metal? Opeth - Demon of the Fall. Their songs are long but at 2:40 it turns into just a funky awesome beat that is awesome. I love that riff. The very end bit too when he starts singing is also great.

If anyone likes Opeth, they'll love Eluveitie. Awesome folk metal group. Try this song (Inis Mona).

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:18 am UTC

Lime wrote:Ewww, Opeth. I guess I'm not a metal person but there's just nothing appealing in that song.

That track doesn't fuck around. For a metal fan, that's a good thing. For someone that isn't... eh, not so much. Still, because I love them so much, I'll point you towards Closure, which is different enough to be a different band. If that is at least slightly better, look at Porcelain Heart or Burden. It's kinda funny, cause all of their songs are very 'opeth' in that they're all long, they're all intricate, there's a certain way of linking chords that is consistent, and the drummer has some specific ways of playing, too... but then they go from acoustic-jimi-hendrix (closure) to a corny ballad (faces of melinda) to TEH BRUTALZ (heir apparent).

Lime wrote: I have to admire their punk attitude though- you ever see one of the shows were they were forced to lip sync?

The instrument switching is hilarious, but that's pretty tame. You ever see one of the shows where they replaced an entire verse with the word "fuck"?
uhhhh fuck.

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:50 pm UTC

archeleus wrote:If anyone likes Opeth, they'll love Eluveitie. Awesome folk metal group. Try this song (Inis Mona).

I tried to like it 'cos they have a hurdy gurdy and hurdy gurdies wrock. I guess I just don't get the singing method.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

jobriath wrote:
archeleus wrote:If anyone likes Opeth, they'll love Eluveitie. Awesome folk metal group. Try this song (Inis Mona).

I tried to like it 'cos they have a hurdy gurdy and hurdy gurdies wrock. I guess I just don't get the singing method.

Yeah I'm not feeling the fiddle or the singing. Just seems gimmicky, I guess.
uhhhh fuck.

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:45 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:I'll point you towards Closure

Nice performance. Shitty crowd.

I like Opeth, but I haven't heard this track before and I like it.

Now how about an Assassin's Creed 2 OST?

Return to “Music”