I wear glasses now.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

J Spade
Luppoewagan

I wear glasses now.

Postby J Spade » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:32 pm UTC

Yeah, apparently, I am near-sighted.

It's weird that what I thought was normal was actually blurry, and now it hurts my eyes to not have the glasses on. I've only had them for a day.

dagron

Postby dagron » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:34 pm UTC

I didn't find out I needed glasses until some time in the 8th grade. It was a bit of a shock at the time. Of course now my eyes have gotten worse and I'm blind without them.

Rysto

Postby Rysto » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:40 pm UTC

Your eyes will adjust quickly, and then you'll be amazed you ever got along without them. When I got my current pair, they initially hurt my eyes too, despite the fact that I've been wearing glasses constantly for nearly 10 years now.

Just hope that you don't end up like me. I'm nearsighted, but I need to wear my glasses even just to read. Things get fuzzy about 10 inches from my face.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:28 am UTC

wait til you start wearing contacts. there's about a 5 minute period between switching from one to ther other where i stumble around trying to get my eyes to adjust properly. mainly i just stick w/ my glasses now though. probably b/c i'm out of contacts.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Jadestone

Postby Jadestone » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:40 am UTC

I am steadily losing my vision. I got glasses in 3rd grade, contacts in 6th. At this point I can't even see the chart with the letters without them.
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:46 am UTC

apocralypse wrote:wait til you start wearing contacts. there's about a 5 minute period between switching from one to ther other where i stumble around trying to get my eyes to adjust properly. mainly i just stick w/ my glasses now though. probably b/c i'm out of contacts.

Easy solution: don't wear contacts. But I'm lucky. My eyes stabilised 10 years ago and my power is fairly low.

Unless you need them for something, they are just a pain in the ass.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:49 am UTC

yeah i usually only wear them in situations where i know my glases will get knocked off and broken, even potentially. rollercoasters, punk shows, going to a bar in the wrong mood... hehe.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

kcr

Postby kcr » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:57 am UTC

apocralypse wrote:wait til you start wearing contacts. there's about a 5 minute period between switching from one to ther other where i stumble around trying to get my eyes to adjust properly.

Oh god, that short transition period is so weird. The first time I switched, I got a major headache. (I don't think contacts are that bad. I prefer them to glasses, most of the time.)

Soon your glasses will become your best friend. There's a line in "A Christmas Story" about how there's nothing worse for a kid than when they break their glasses.. so true.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:03 am UTC

Sweet. Glasses are hot. I can see clearly without them, but in two dimensions. Stupid lazy eye.

pi-3 orionis

Postby pi-3 orionis » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:46 am UTC

I got my first pair of glases in the fourth grade, but didn't wear them too often. Then at the beginning of 9th grade I got a new perscriptiooon because I just couldnt go on anymore without glasses. Probably the best thing about wearing glasses after not wearing them for a long time is when you walk outide and go "woh, trees have leaves, not just green blurry stuff." Also, last summer when I got my driving permit I was able to pass the vision test without glasses, but this summer for my driver license I needed my glasses. So I hope my vision doesn't fall too much more.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:13 am UTC

of course, glasses is just how it starts... uber nerddom...

soon you'll have to get special shoes and a hair follicle treatment and some sort of throat spray.

SmoothHeavy

Postby SmoothHeavy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:17 am UTC

Contacts FTW, I can't wait to get lasik done. So how old are you to just now get diagnosed?
Last edited by SmoothHeavy on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:19 am UTC

its possible his eyesight didnt start deteriorating til recently? i was fine until around 7th grade, myself.

i have mixed views on lasik. on one hand it'd be nice to not worry about HAVING to wear corrective lenses. On the other, i rather like my glasses and dont want to be one of those people that wears fake ones for fashion's sake. *shrugs*

SmoothHeavy

Postby SmoothHeavy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:33 am UTC

Good point. I don't like how I look in glass because my prescription is very strong. Resulting in near coke bottle like lenses.

curious and questioning

Postby curious and questioning » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:19 am UTC

I've worn glasses sporadically since third grade, constantly since sixth grade. Nearsighted. I have 20/100-20/200 vision without them on, and 20/20 vision with them. I don't like my new pair for this year, though.

I don't want an operation to see better if something much less intrusive works fine, but if you want to, I don't care.

Once someone I know broke their glasses in the middle and had to go through the rest of the day with them taped together. The band teacher was like, "You know that's one of the nerdiest things you can do, right?". He said similar things about us transferring programs between graphing calculators, though. Am I completely off topic? Most people I know wear glasses.
[insert quote here]

Ketzerei

Postby Ketzerei » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:46 am UTC

I love the look of glasses far too much to ever get LASIK. To me, the right glasses are +10 smart as well as +10 sexy on any person.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:54 am UTC

Oh man, I still remember the first day I got glasses. It's wierd how you *think* you can see "just fine", until you realize that the trees actually have leaves.

That was one of the coolest things ever.

Now I just wear contacts. Well, I obviously wear my glasses around the house in the morning/at night, but contacts for about 14 of my 17 awake hours.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Emmaskillz

Postby Emmaskillz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:18 am UTC

I have incredibly weak glasses so I hardly wear them at all. I'm meant to wear them for reading but I always forget to put them on and then when I have them on I forget to take them off. Also I get confused as to when I should be wearing them and when I shouldn't. So I have glasses but I don't wear them because I have significant trouble seeing, I wear them because I have them and probably should be wearing them :P

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:33 am UTC

I wear contacts full time. I'm -4 on both eyes so I'm pretty blind without them. I do also have glasses but those're only for emergencies or situations where contacts are not practical (such as long flights). And mostly for the "I've just taken out my contacts but I realized I still need to do X" at night, which happens rather a lot. :roll:

I'm not sure what this transition period is that you're talking about.

apocralypse wrote:wait til you start wearing contacts. there's about a 5 minute period between switching from one to ther other where i stumble around trying to get my eyes to adjust properly. mainly i just stick w/ my glasses now though. probably b/c i'm out of contacts.

I'm not sure what you mean. I put in my contact and I can see immediately, there's no adjustment time. If I take out my contacts and put on my glasses it's not an issue either. Maybe I'm not understanding correctly what you mean?
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"
"It's Japan. Of course they will."

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:05 am UTC

Rysto wrote:Your eyes will adjust quickly, and then you'll be amazed you ever got along without them. When I got my current pair, they initially hurt my eyes too, despite the fact that I've been wearing glasses constantly for nearly 10 years now.

Just hope that you don't end up like me. I'm nearsighted, but I need to wear my glasses even just to read. Things get fuzzy about 10 inches from my face.

Likewise. I'm blind as a bat without them; it's bad enough that I've considered surgery.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

zenten

Postby zenten » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:43 am UTC

Eye surgery scares the crap out of me. I mean, you have to be *awake* during it.

Emmaskillz

Postby Emmaskillz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:50 am UTC

My grandfather wanted me to get eye surgery because he thought I had a lazy eyelid or something. It was total lies but the prospect of eye surgery was freaky. I was little too, like 13 or something.

kilgore trout

Postby kilgore trout » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:09 pm UTC

I have a prescription I need to get for reading glasses, but I can't find any frames I really like. The thick frames are so popular right now, but they aren't really flattering to my face. I've needed glasses for about a year now, but I can get by ok. I only need glasses for reading, and I can read fine for 20-30 minutes before the words start to get blurry. The eye doc told me my eyesight is fine, just slightly farsighted, I am just straining my eyes by reading too much.

TRM

Postby TRM » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:24 pm UTC

I hate glasses, I really do :?. I've worn them since fourth grade (9 years now I guess). This year I bought a really snazzy pair -- they're actually really fashionable, and apparently everyone thinks they're sexy, but I still hate glasses!

I started wearing contacts regularly since about a month ago, and ever since I ran out two days ago it makes me feel empty :(.
PandaFluff wrote:I learned a few lessons from this... Don't trust epiphanies that come from a General Ecology lecture.

kcr

Postby kcr » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:55 pm UTC

Unforgiven wrote:I wear contacts full time. I'm -4 on both eyes so I'm pretty blind without them. I do also have glasses but those're only for emergencies or situations where contacts are not practical (such as long flights). And mostly for the "I've just taken out my contacts but I realized I still need to do X" at night, which happens rather a lot. :roll:

I'm not sure what this transition period is that you're talking about.

I'm not sure what you mean. I put in my contact and I can see immediately, there's no adjustment time. If I take out my contacts and put on my glasses it's not an issue either. Maybe I'm not understanding correctly what you mean?

The time when you take out your contacts and put in your glasses at the end of the day/whenever you do it. It makes me all dizzy haha. But it's not too weird that it doesn't happen to everyone, I guess. And I'm -4.25 so.. -4s for the win!

One of my biggest fears is that my eyesight will just get worse and worse and ughasdjahf it really freaks me out to think about it.

lukkucairi

Postby lukkucairi » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:02 pm UTC

kcr wrote:One of my biggest fears is that my eyesight will just get worse and worse and ughasdjahf it really freaks me out to think about it.

usually you get some sort of respite by the time you're in your mid to late 20s. then you're fine until you need reading glasses at 40 :?

my prescription hasn't changed a whole lot in 10 years, and I'm 33. when I was 23 I thought I'd be blind by now.

contacts: I have thenthitive corneas so I can't wear them all the time - wear 'em for skiing etc. - but the weirdest thing I find is that I'm not used to (a) having nothing protective in front of my eyes, so I'm constantly poking myself in the eye by accident, and (b) having peripheral vision...it is just WEIRD.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:13 pm UTC

I've worn glasses since grade ONE. (Beat that, bitches.) I've had emo-optometrist-visits where I was all, "Why? WHY?" and the doctor was like, "Genetics. Sorry." Goddamn parents.
I have very little vision without my glasses. It's something like -9.75 in my right eye (it got better! It used to be -10.0) and -8.5 in my left eye. Plus an astigmatism.

I got contacts a while ago, and wear them frequently, but I like the way I look in glasses.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

rockintom99

Postby rockintom99 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:21 pm UTC

I really don't mind having glasses at all. I first got them in 6th grade, but never wore them much. At about 8th grade, I was seriously having vision problems, and then finally started wearing them, and haven't really stopped since. I am now completely helpless without my glasses. Kindof a depressing thing, no?
THIS IS A SIGNATURE.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:22 pm UTC

glasses are awesome
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:22 pm UTC

I started wearing glasses in 10th grade, when I was walking, saw a pair of glasses on a fencepost on frat row outside UVA, picked them up, put them on, noticed they made things a good bit clearer, and started wearing them around.

Later, upon visiting an optometrist, I was informed of a couple things:

1. That I was slightly nearsighted (20/30). Not something that would have necessarily been caught.

2. The glasses, which corrected my vision to 20/15, were kindof a lucky find: they were exactly the right prescription, and the focal points of the lenses were nearly completely centered on my eyes. The right lens was off a little bit, so he just had a new lens made and put it in the same frames.

3. I was told to enter the lottery, because seriously, the chances against that are freaking ridiculous.

So anyway, I still have glasses, and contacts for non-glasses-wearing situations. That pair, unfortunately, broke a while ago. And made me look way young anyway.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:27 pm UTC

kcr wrote:One of my biggest fears is that my eyesight will just get worse and worse and ughasdjahf it really freaks me out to think about it.

I don't know what age you are, but that's unlikely. If you're not born with bad eyesight, it's usually growth of the eyes that triggers it. Once you're through puberty usually the degredation stops and sometimes your eyes will even improve a little.

I was -0.75 when I was first tested when I was 12. In the next six months I dropped to -2, then to -4 over the course of the next few years. Now I've been -4 for close on a decade.

So I'm fairly confident I won't need to worry until, as lukkucairi says, I will start needing reading glasses. :)
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"

"It's Japan. Of course they will."

blind visionary

Postby blind visionary » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:07 pm UTC

I've had glasses since 2nd grade, and now, a decade later, My vision sits at around a -6, and probably won't get any worse than a -7. I've got contacts too, but barely ever wear them, because I'm usually either to lazy or to rushed in the morning to put them in.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:16 pm UTC

Ren wrote:I've worn glasses since grade ONE. (Beat that, bitches.) I've had emo-optometrist-visits where I was all, "Why? WHY?" and the doctor was like, "Genetics. Sorry." Goddamn parents.
I have very little vision without my glasses. It's something like -9.75 in my right eye (it got better! It used to be -10.0) and -8.5 in my left eye. Plus an astigmatism.

I got contacts a while ago, and wear them frequently, but I like the way I look in glasses.

Wow. I came in to be all "You whiners don't know the half of it" but you beat me in all cases.

How does it feel to be legally blind?
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

elminster

Postby elminster » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:41 pm UTC

Ima need glasses/contacts soon, i stare at a computer screen far too long each time. Infact my vision gets considerably better after a week of not using it.
Ive just been putting it off, till it gets in the way... which maybe soon as im learning to drive and it took a bit longer than average glance to read a number plate at required distance. 10ft further and it woulda been partly guessing.

bavardage

Postby bavardage » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:47 am UTC

I had glasses a few years ago, supposedly to be worn for reading. I sat on them on the bus and haven't seen them for a good 20 months.
'It can't be software incompatibility - the Trodden Spiral was designed for concentric rings, idiot ...'

Aoeniac

Re: I wear glasses now.

Postby Aoeniac » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:57 am UTC

J Spade wrote:Yeah, apparently, I am near-sighted.

It's weird that what I thought was normal was actually blurry, and now it hurts my eyes to not have the glasses on. I've only had them for a day.

Don't worry, this sort of situation is more common than one might think. I didn't realize I needed glasses until I was 19. I too, "thought it was normal for things that far away to be blurry" I remember telling my optometrist. And with the glasses on, it wasn't some sort of revelation, you know like "ohmygosh! The trees have leaves!". But it was a definite improvement in the beauty of the world around me. The mountains and ocean took on new depth, and I found things I thought were supposed to be indistinct at long distances were in fact quite clear. Like the houses and trees on top of the mountains in the distance or the oil dereks four miles off the coast.

Although there WAS a revelation involved with my new glasses. "Hot damn, I look sexy in specs!" I remember telling my mirror...

I actually could focus on a lot of things rather far away, except it caused unnecessary strain on my eyes which would give me frequent headaches. But because I was able to focus on distant objects, with effort, I figured it was normal that I'd have to squint to see things far away. It really did seem like a rather far distance too, I'm not talking about something like across the street, but more like down a few blocks. But the glasses not only made it so I didn't have to strain, but actually allowed me to focus on things so far away I wouldn't have thought it natural to see them clearly at all. The biggest problem with my eyes wasn't focusing, but rather tracking. My eyes had some sort of prisming going on, in that they weren't always looking at EXACTLY the same spot. Nothing anybody looking at me would notice, like a lazy eye, but still noticeable on my end. It made it difficult to track lines, which is how we discovered I needed glasses in the first place. I mentioned that it was somewhat difficult to follow lines while I was driving, or even something as simple as tracing across from my name to my grades when grades were posted for a class. The resulting eye exam explained everything.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:33 am UTC

Ren wrote:I've worn glasses since grade ONE. (Beat that, bitches.) I've had emo-optometrist-visits where I was all, "Why? WHY?" and the doctor was like, "Genetics. Sorry." Goddamn parents.

I too had glasses since year one so you don't have me beat there! I WILL BEAT YOU! *stares into the sun*

I think I need 7.5 thoguh I only have 7, I can tell my vision isn't perfect but it's good enough.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:27 pm UTC

space_raptor wrote:

Wow. I came in to be all "You whiners don't know the half of it" but you beat me in all cases.

How does it feel to be legally blind?

Am I actually legally blind? I didn't know that. I wonder if I can get any money or scholarships for that...
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:48 pm UTC

^^^ Hey... carebearstare dude is back! *waves*

anyway... I think my prescription is probably somewhere between 1 and 2... dunno for sure. Or maybe its between -1 and -2... anyway I'm shortsighted....
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

MasterYeats

Postby MasterYeats » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:52 pm UTC

I was long-sighted and had to wear glasses since I was four years old. Then, when I was about thirteen I got fed up and decided not to wear them in the hope of ridding myself of the condition after I read about brain exercises for Alzheimer's patients and thought about the principle.

I didn't wear them for about six months and now my sight is perfect. It was fine after three months but my parents wouldn't believe me until my next appointment at the optician's. Then I said a big fat HA! and did a dance. It was good.
'Teach me half the gladness
That thy brain must know,
Such harmonious madness
From my lips would flow
The world should listen then — as I am listening now.'
- To A Skylark, Shelley

Return to “General”