Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby Jorpho » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:11 pm UTC

belissaith wrote:* Genre: Edutainment/science adventure game
* Gameplay: The game was entirely driven by solving puzzles.
Dr. Brain springs to mind.
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/dr-brain-series

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:20 pm UTC

belissaith wrote:* Environment: The lead character was an idiot superhero, with a snarky female sidekick. I don't remember a lot of the background but environments included a test lab, some sort of arena, a manor house (?), a mine...
* Mood: Brightly coloured but with a quirky sense of humor
* Genre: Edutainment/science adventure game
The Adventures of Hyperman?

(Courtesy of this asking and answering by others.)
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

belissaith

Postby belissaith » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:08 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:
belissaith wrote:* Environment: The lead character was an idiot superhero, with a snarky female sidekick. I don't remember a lot of the background but environments included a test lab, some sort of arena, a manor house (?), a mine...
* Mood: Brightly coloured but with a quirky sense of humor
* Genre: Edutainment/science adventure game
The Adventures of Hyperman?

(Courtesy of this asking and answering by others.)

That's it! I woke up this morning with 'The Adventures of Harvey Birdman' in my head and knew that still wasn't right (because it didn't feature Harvery Birdman, as a starting point), but...

Thanks, seriously. <3

Luaithel

Postby Luaithel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

* Background: Mac/PowerPC in the early 90's. Hard, yet addicting.
* Year: Maybe late 80's or early 90's, it's hard to tell sometimes with old Mac/PC games.
* Perspective: Top-down tile based
* Art style: Sprites and I believe a kind of fog of war, though maybe that was only in areas you hadn't explored yet.
* Environment: Slate-gray kind of area, with walls you could destroy at the cost of weapon durability if it was in your way. Only memorable enemy I can think of was a kind of cleaning robot that got rid of trash and debris on the ground and constantly kept you from sleeping to recover health because it would wander nearby. And you died constantly to the monsters if you weren't careful.
* Mood: Dark adventure
* Genre: Action adventure, partially turn based in that monsters and such would only move each turn you moved, waited or slept.
* Gameplay: I think there were levels, and there was certainly hp. Single protagonist, maybe some occasional text, like if a robot spoke to you or whir-clanked to clean. Text information about weapons breaking, monsters dying, you dying, the likes. Weapons were things from your fists to lead pipes up to the occasional laser blaster.

New User

Postby New User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:59 am UTC

Luaithel wrote:* Background: Mac/PowerPC in the early 90's. Hard, yet addicting.
* Year: Maybe late 80's or early 90's, it's hard to tell sometimes with old Mac/PC games.
* Art style: Sprites and I believe a kind of fog of war, though maybe that was only in areas you hadn't explored yet.
* Environment: Slate-gray kind of area, with walls you could destroy at the cost of weapon durability if it was in your way. Only memorable enemy I can think of was a kind of cleaning robot that got rid of trash and debris on the ground and constantly kept you from sleeping to recover health because it would wander nearby. And you died constantly to the monsters if you weren't careful.
* Genre: Action adventure, partially turn based in that monsters and such would only move each turn you moved, waited or slept.
* Gameplay: I think there were levels, and there was certainly hp. Single protagonist, maybe some occasional text, like if a robot spoke to you or whir-clanked to clean. Text information about weapons breaking, monsters dying, you dying, the likes. Weapons were things from your fists to lead pipes up to the occasional laser blaster.

Sounds like you're describing a game of the subgenre "roguelike". I tried search keywords "sci-fi roguelike for mac" and got Mission: Thunderbolt and its sequel Mission: Firestorm. Is that what you're looking for?

Luaithel

Postby Luaithel » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:11 am UTC

New User wrote:
Luaithel wrote:* Background: Mac/PowerPC in the early 90's. Hard, yet addicting.

Sounds like you're describing a game of the subgenre "roguelike". I tried search keywords "sci-fi roguelike for mac" and got Mission: Thunderbolt and its sequel Mission: Firestorm. Is that what you're looking for?

I... you... You people are insane at finding these games. It was Operation: Thunderbolt. Now to see if I can relive my old joys of dying in so many ways.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:37 am UTC

inb4 bentheimmigrant posts. The flash game you speak of is Small Worlds.

(from this post)
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:53 am UTC

Hey guys, I'm trying to find this flash game... It's... oh. Nevermind.

Thanks Felstaff
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:58 am UTC

He's like some sort of oracle.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

caragon1997

Postby caragon1997 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:13 am UTC

logixoul wrote:Hi guys,
I asked about a game at the tvtropes forum but no one knew about it. Nice to see this thread here, let's hope you guys are nerdier :)
Around maybe 2002 I used to play this great puzzle/platformer 2D game.
You play a green blobby ball in a sort of fullscreen dungeon (looking from the side), and you have to get across the level to the exit. To do that, you can jump off walls, slide down walls, hang from ceilings (I think)... avoiding the deadly spikes. The level geometry, such as vertical walls, just hangs in the air. Each level fits in a single screen.
I played it on Windows 98 then. Pretty sure it was freeware or so.

Things that are NOT my game but have a similar look:
* http://www.happypenguin.org/images/4.jpg
* Squish
* Gish (which has a much bigger and more freeform blob)

this game sounds like super bubble blob by the games page, This is a very cool game and very tricky. Hope this helps

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:42 pm UTC

My mind lurched up the memory of this game today and I'd love some help finding it.

* Background: Probably got this on a disk with a load of other games, for the PC. It was a proper game and everything, not a flash game.
* Year: Most likely late 90s, though the game may have been around a few years by then.
* Perspective: It was one of those first-person puzzle adventures, like Myst used to be (still is?), where each area would be an image. Clicking to the right would usually present an image of the view 90 degrees to the right, complete with cabinet on wall that you could click on to open.
* Art style: Definitely aiming to be realistic and a little gritty. As photo-realistic as 90s games were.
* Environment: You awoke on a large spaceship, to the sound of sirens alerting you of a pin-sized hull breach. The entire game - at least as far as I got - took place on this oddly shaped, sleek, high-tech ship covered in antenna masts and other sciencey bits. The rest of the crew was missing with no indication as to what had happened, leaving you alone in space in a metal tin that didn't care about you or allow you access to anywhere you might want to go.
* Mood: Pretty eery. I recall trying to fudge my way into off-limit areas of this silent space ship, uncovering weird stuff and reading pretty chilling documents. There was a fair bit of reading to the game, giving it a leisurely pace and a slowly-turn-you-crazy quality.
* Genre: WWII shooter. Or first-person point-and-click adventure, depending on your definitions.
* Gameplay: I feel as though the interactions gave me a bit of familiarity with my character. For example, when inspecting the pin-sized hull breach I'd get a bit of text about how it was probably leaking atmosphere and maybe some musing on how I might fix it. I think everything just happened with some text, so there was no actual animation in the game, adding to that feeling of silent foreboding.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:46 am UTC

Wait. WWII shooter + spaceship?

Anyway, I can only think of The Journeyman Project series?

edit: Rama possibly.

I don't really know the plots to these games though.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:11 am UTC

I think The Journeyman Project games probably had the same feel to them. I had a look at that Rama thing, but it mentions other characters and other environments beyond the ship. In the game I'm thinking of, you were just alone on the ship.

I also think - maybe - that the name of the game was also the name of the ship, and that it was two words, but I'm not certain.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:20 am UTC

It sounds a little - but only a little - like a game I remember fondly called Iron Helix, where you played a robotic probe sent onto an abandoned ship. Apparently to disable a doomsday weapon, but mostly I recall frantically fleeing the ship's security, and attempting to scan for crew DNA in all sorts of places.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:00 pm UTC

It was Mission Critical! Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have all sorts of problems trying to get it to work even if I manage to get hold of a copy. From the bits I skimmed in the Wikipedia article without wanting to learn too much, it seems I didn't get too far into the game.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:39 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:It was Mission Critical! Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have all sorts of problems trying to get it to work even if I manage to get hold of a copy. From the bits I skimmed in the Wikipedia article without wanting to learn too much, it seems I didn't get too far into the game.

DosBox man. Dosbox.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

graeth

Postby graeth » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:18 am UTC

One I can't remember, or find via word permutations in google, is an old game that was in the style of the classic 'Battleship'
The difference was they were spaceships and you had different weapons at your disposal that effected different amounts of squares.
And any other weapon other than the single box laser had limited ammo.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:44 am UTC

I guess a bit more detail's needed (please use the template that everyone else has used in this thread), but there are unsurprisingly quite a few Battleships-in-space games, with a funky one being Battleships Forever. (I think that's the right link; I'll have to play it this e'ening to check it's the one I'm thinking of).

If anyone can find me a version of Battleships I used to play on the Sky+ GameZone (formerly free UK satellite/digital interactive channel) somewhere on the internet, I will be eternally grateful. It was isometric, very bright with the sea being this shade of blue, and the enemy ships were battleship-grey (well, duh) and yours were tan/desert camouflage (good colour choic, cap'n...!) The bombs made a doodlebug whistling sound, and a satisfying ch'boom when you hit. The sinking ship animation was terrible, as was the explosion (think early-generation Megadrive games).
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:55 am UTC

Ok, here's my game that I can't remember

* Background: Where did you play it? When? What system was it on? Why do you remember it? What sticks out at you about it?
It was on PC, a first person RPG, back in the early 90's. I think movement was tile based, but it could be free-form. It was a party based fantasy RPG, with portals that sent you to different lands. I remember one of the rewards you get for a quest(Which i think was saving the king from an invasion on his castle) was some land, which you could build a fort type thing for yourself. The fort could have shops and such things in it.

* Year: When did you play it? You don't need to be specific, but the closer you can get, the better. While it'd be great if you could say that you know it came out in 1995, simply saying Mid 90s will work (If you remember). When in doubt, choose a wider scope (Say, Early to Mid-90s for a game that you think was new in '94)
I played it in the mid-90's.

* Perspective: 3D? 2D? 2.5D? Isometric? Tile-based? First Person? Third Person?
Definately 3D. Think it was tile based movement, but not sure. First person.

* Art style: Cell shaded? Sprite-based? Foggy? Particular special effects you remember? Any movie sequences you remember?
Typicla fantasy sprites.

* Environment: What sort of places were you in? Times? What specific types of monsters did you fight? Bosses? Who was the protagonist? Any NPCs you remember? Dialog? Weapons? Remember dying a lot? What killed you?
I think i remember scorpions, which had a nasty poison.

* Mood: Dark? Cheerful and bright (like Mario)? Horror? Board-game strategic? Hack and slash? Adventure?
RPG fantasy adventure.

* Genre: Multiplayer? Shooter? Action? Adventure? RPG? Arcade? Puzzle-based? Strategy? RTS? Text adventure?
Single player, party based fantasy RPG.

* Gameplay: Action? Turn-based? Did you have stats/levels? Remember any puzzles? What buttons did you press to control the protagonist? Was there a party of characters or a solo protagonist? Were you able to create a character and choose skills at the beginning, or were your skills pre-chosen (if any)?
I think the actual combat was real-time, but im not sure. Stats and levels as I recall. Keyboard for most things. I think you start with 1 character, and acquire more, but i could be wrong. I think you chose skills at the beginning.

Thanks for the help!
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:59 pm UTC

Someone may be able to help, but some of your information (outside of the Build-a-Fort bit) seems a little.. generic. Like asking about that one episode of Lassie where the people got into trouble and Lassie had to bark until someone figured it out, or the Bollywood movie where the guy and girl wanted to be together but their families disapproved and there was a lot of singing and dancing with elaborate clothing.

That being said, give this article a read/scan and see if any of the screenshots, descriptions or names ring any bells. Yes, it talks a lot about RPGs that aren't first person, but more importantly for you, it talks about RPGs in the 1990s.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:38 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:It sounds a little - but only a little - like a game I remember fondly called Iron Helix, where you played a robotic probe sent onto an abandoned ship. Apparently to disable a doomsday weapon, but mostly I recall frantically fleeing the ship's security, and attempting to scan for crew DNA in all sorts of places.

Holy crap, I remember that game. Actually, I might even be able to find the CD for it. Wow. I might see if it was any good this weekend.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:16 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Someone may be able to help, but some of your information (outside of the Build-a-Fort bit) seems a little.. generic. Like asking about that one episode of Lassie where the people got into trouble and Lassie had to bark until someone figured it out, or the Bollywood movie where the guy and girl wanted to be together but their families disapproved and there was a lot of singing and dancing with elaborate clothing.

That being said, give this article a read/scan and see if any of the screenshots, descriptions or names ring any bells. Yes, it talks a lot about RPGs that aren't first person, but more importantly for you, it talks about RPGs in the 1990s.

That's the problem, it was extremely generic, except for the build a fort bit. That article looks good, but I didn't see the game with my brief look. Will look closer when I get home.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

quadmaster

Postby quadmaster » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:36 am UTC

Background: It was a game on the lego website, that ran in shockwave player.

Year: Somewhere between 2000 and 2006.

Perspective: 3D. I remember being really impressed by the graphics.

Art Style: Industrial, with lots of strips of yellow arrows and stuff. The car itself was made of Legos.

Enviroment: The game was set in a huge factory. By clever use of jumps, you could do tricks, or try and climb to the ceiling. I don't think I ever managed to explore the whole thing.

Mood: I don't really know.

Gameplay: Real time. You drove an RC lego car around and tried to jump and stuff. I think it was controlled with the arrow keys. there were Two modes: one where you just played around, and the other where you had to get as many points as you could in a given time.

I've looked around the lego website forever, but it isn't there anymore. Maybe someone copied it first? I am ever hopeful.

Edit: Found it! lego supersonic rc: http://www.streetracersonline.com/flash/supersonic.php
I... I didn't do it.
<- he did it, I swear

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:30 pm UTC

* Background: Played this on a old mac. Not sure about the year.
* Year: In the 90's, maybe?
* Perspective: Top down.
* Environment: The protagonist was in a chair in a office, he moved around by kicking desks and wall, and I think he fought cleaning robots with a stapler.
* Mood: Pretty ridiculous.
* Genre: Action I guess?
* Gameplay: You could move around quickly by kicking obstables or slowly move the chair by moving your feet on the ground. There were explosive barrels. You could read memos lying around. There were different staplers. Ah, and ghosts.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:09 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:* Background: Played this on a old mac. Not sure about the year.
* Year: In the 90's, maybe?
* Perspective: Top down.
* Environment: The protagonist was in a chair in a office, he moved around by kicking desks and wall, and I think he fought cleaning robots with a stapler.
* Mood: Pretty ridiculous.
* Genre: Action I guess?
* Gameplay: You could move around quickly by kicking obstables or slowly move the chair by moving your feet on the ground. There were explosive barrels. You could read memos lying around. There were different staplers. Ah, and ghosts.

Ooh! Harry the Handsome Executive. Still available for the fabulously low price of $20, despite not even having OS X compatibility!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/harry/

Ark Evensong

Postby Ark Evensong » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:33 am UTC

Alright, I'll bite.

I played this game (demo/shareware?) back on my(our/my parents') first Windows PC, and it came on one of game demo collection CD's. I think I might have had some trouble getting the sound to work, but got it fixed eventually (dodgy auto-detect?). Anyway, you were a corporation (I remember, because together with your name, you had to choose a logo or icon, with LTD, INC, something like that.) that had a remote-controlled robot that you used to ... do stuff with. I'm not entirely sure of the goals during gameplay, but you'd earn money, which you'd use to buy new parts for your robot. There were at least 3 slots : Communication gear, weapon and locomotion (usually threads or wheels), but there might have been more.

Background: Pretty sure it was an MS-DOS title, worked fine on Win95, though.
Year: I played it sometime around '96 (95-97?). Could be a few years old at the time, but probably no older than '92 or so.
Perspective: 2D, top down during the actiony parts of the game. Between levels was a sort of cityscape menu. Fairly sure the screen resolution was only 320x240 or 320x200.
Art Style: Bit grainy, not many bright colors. One special effect I remember was static. When your robot got too close to some elements in a level, you'd get static on screen. Just a little from standing near a light fixture in a wall. Other elements could fill the whole screen. You could avoid this with a better communication device (jammer? anti-jammer?) for your robot.
Environment: Cyberpunk, with perhaps a little less punk. Futuristic. A nighttime cityscape served as your menu between levels, where you could visit various dealers for parts. There was the high-priced, high performance one, something a little more neutral, and the Black Market, where stuff could be cheap, expensive, or work plain wonky. For example, your robot normally moved on wheels or threads (with no insta-brakes, meaning you'd keep going a bit after letting go of the direction key) but you could buy a sort of a hover replacement which did stop your movement instantly. It was kinda slow, though, and that made later levels more difficult or impossible. There was also an expensive, very fast, flying-saucer-like replacement you could buy from the black market, but instead of cancelling your inertia, it ... kept all of it. No brakes, no friction : your robot bouncing all over the place until it died. As for the levels themselves: I can't quite remember. Definitely inside, possibly underground.
Mood: Well, cyberpunk-ish, so somewhat dark.
Genre/Gameplay: Action, with a heavy dose of money/equipment management between levels. I know the robot had a gun, but I can't quite remember what I was shooting at. Single player. I think levels weren't that big, but would scroll the screen. I also remember a time limit of sorts, but whether it meant game-over or just eat into your profits I can't quite recall.

Anyway, I hope that's enough info, and that someone knows what I'm talking about.

EDIT: some cleanup

minkis

Postby minkis » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:52 am UTC

* Background: Where did you play it? When? What system was it on? Why do you remember it? What sticks out at you about it?
PC, mid-90s, i think you could move in the 8 directions (n,ne,e,se,s,sw,w,nw), and the fast classical piano song playing throughout

* Year: When did you play it? You don't need to be specific, but the closer you can get, the better. While it'd be great if you could say that you know it came out in 1995, simply saying Mid 90s will work (If you remember). When in doubt, choose a wider scope (Say, Early to Mid-90s for a game that you think was new in '94)
mid 90's, i think i played it on some demo disc

2D, above-the-action view

* Art style: Cell shaded? Sprite-based? Foggy? Particular special effects you remember? Any movie sequences you remember?
the firepower that you shot looked like asterisks

* Environment: What sort of places were you in? Times? What specific types of monsters did you fight? Bosses? Who was the protagonist? Any NPCs you remember? Dialog? Weapons? Remember dying a lot? What killed you?
you flew this little craft around, and you had to shoot these little turrets. they were protected by walls, and every shot on the wall changed the color, until it broke, and then you could shoot the turret, which also changed colors until it was destroyed. the turrets would shoot at you, and i think i remember things flying after you as well

* Mood: Dark? Cheerful and bright (like Mario)? Horror? Board-game strategic? Hack and slash? Adventure?
It was a upbeat mood, due to the music (its a classical piano song, really fast, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it, I can just hum the song in my head.)

* Genre: Multiplayer? Shooter? Action? Adventure? RPG? Arcade? Puzzle-based? Strategy? RTS? Text adventure?
single player flying shooter (more hovering than flying, you couldn't go up or down)

* Gameplay: Action? Turn-based? Did you have stats/levels? Remember any puzzles? What buttons did you press to control the protagonist? Was there a party of characters or a solo protagonist? Were you able to create a character and choose skills at the beginning, or were your skills pre-chosen (if any)?
You fly/hover/drive around, you could move in the 8 cardinal directions, you had to shoot bullets that were asterisks, destroy the wall around the turret and then destroy the turret

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:43 am UTC

minkis, I'm not sure about the music, but was it Islands of Danger? The only thing that throws me off is that you specifically say 'flying', but Islands of Danger isn't that clear. Shooting asterisks does suggest ASCII, though.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

minkis wrote:
Spoiler:
PC, mid-90s, i think you could move in the 8 directions (n,ne,e,se,s,sw,w,nw), and the fast classical piano song playing throughout

mid 90's, i think i played it on some demo disc

2D, above-the-action view

the firepower that you shot looked like asterisks

you flew this little craft around, and you had to shoot these little turrets. they were protected by walls, and every shot on the wall changed the color, until it broke, and then you could shoot the turret, which also changed colors until it was destroyed. the turrets would shoot at you, and i think i remember things flying after you as well

It was a upbeat mood, due to the music (its a classical piano song, really fast, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it, I can just hum the song in my head.)

single player flying shooter (more hovering than flying, you couldn't go up or down)

You fly/hover/drive around, you could move in the 8 cardinal directions, you had to shoot bullets that were asterisks, destroy the wall around the turret and then destroy the turret
I may need to change the format of the template, as nowhere in here can I find the system you played it on, which is.. kinda important.

Anyway, Bolo jumped in my head and it's all I can think of, but that's probably not it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

minkis

Postby minkis » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:06 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:minkis, I'm not sure about the music, but was it Islands of Danger? The only thing that throws me off is that you specifically say 'flying', but Islands of Danger isn't that clear. Shooting asterisks does suggest ASCII, though.

Winner winner chicken dinner! It's amazing when other people experience the same things you have, but actually remember... lol

...Now I have to figure out how to play on a 64-bit laptop.

Dontar

Postby Dontar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:20 pm UTC

minkis wrote:
Goldstein wrote:minkis, I'm not sure about the music, but was it Islands of Danger? The only thing that throws me off is that you specifically say 'flying', but Islands of Danger isn't that clear. Shooting asterisks does suggest ASCII, though.

Winner winner chicken dinner! It's amazing when other people experience the same things you have, but actually remember... lol

...Now I have to figure out how to play on a 64-bit laptop.

Virtual Machine with Windows 32bit installed...its how I play Amber Journey's Beyond on my windows 7 64bit laptop.

minkis

Postby minkis » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:17 am UTC

And how do I get VM?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:57 am UTC

The three free VMs in common usage today are VirtualBox, vmWare Player and MS Virtual PC.

However, there is no need for such a complex solution for an old DOS game like Islands of Danger. DOSBox is a much better choice for such programs. (If it is too complex for you to figure out, there are "frontends" available that can make its usage considerably easier.)

By the way, there's a fanmade patch for Amber, but I don't know if it will work in Win7 x64.
http://www.squirtthecat.com/games/amber/index.html

minkis

Postby minkis » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:36 am UTC

Dosbox worked perfectly.

...Now that was 13 minutes of childhood coming back to me... I always remembered that game taking longer to beat...

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:46 pm UTC

I remember this old NES game that was a kinda maze/RPG where there were various key colors that you had to collect, store up, and use to open corresponding doors. Anyone happen to recall the title? I've been hunting for it with no luck.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

Dason

Postby Dason » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:09 pm UTC

Lataro wrote:I remember this old NES game that was a kinda maze/RPG where there were various key colors that you had to collect, store up, and use to open corresponding doors. Anyone happen to recall the title? I've been hunting for it with no luck.

Do you have any more details? Maybe try filling out the template with as much info as possible.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:44 pm UTC

ah.

Background: Where did you play it? When? What system was it on? Why do you remember it? What sticks out at you about it?

I know it was on the NES, why it sticks out to me, is I don't recall ever seeing another game like it, can't really be more specific than that.

If I had to say, I'd guess before the 90s for sure, and likely closer to the mid-late 80's.

There were platforms your character could jump to or fall down from I believe, but I am not 100% sure. It was basically a maze with color coded doors that required the correct color keys. It had set screens that you moved between when you reached the edge of a current one.

I believe it had a black background while playing.

Again, I'm not 100% sure since I was so young, but I believe there were monsters that you could, had to kill along the way though the maze.

I don't think the gameplay was that deep, the graphics were fairly simple spirit-based.

Pry adventure/maze/puzzle/rpg of some kind.

Simple direction keys to move, up was likely jump, and you may of had a sword to kill monsters.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

One place to start... doesn't cover every NES game made, but comes damn close.

Or, better yet.. Part 1 Part 2 and Part 3 of a series that claims that they do have them all, and titles the games right there on the video so you don't have to search a list and count from the last known game.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:14 pm UTC

AH! That youtube link was really helpful! I had been looking though Gamefaqs off and on for ages trying to find a screen shot that reminded me of the game and never saw one! It's Castlequest that I was thinking of! Thanks a ton for the link to the videos, there are a few other old NES gems I recall that I wanted to check out but couldn't recall any info on!

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:24 pm UTC

It's a flash game, a top down space shooter. I think there was a war on. You start off with a small ship in one square of the map (the map was arranged in separate zones in a grid) and you fly around clearing out the enemy ships in other sectors. By killing other ships and stopping off at stations or something, you could get other parts for your ship and attach them. Things like shield generators, missiles, lasers etc. Some of the squares in the grid were dangerous and sapped your shield energy, forcing all but the best ships to stick to inhabited parts of the map.
I've forgotten everything to do with the name...
Ⓞⓞ◯

Return to “Gaming”