Which Ancient Culture Would You Live In?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Verator

Which Ancient Culture Would You Live In?

Postby Verator » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:02 am UTC

If you could live in any ancient culture, which would you choose? Personally, I'd either live in Greece at the time of Alexander, Rome after the time of Caesar, or Egypt pre-Alexander and Greek influence.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:08 am UTC

Do any of them have internet access?

Maybe Rome, maybe China.

Herman

Postby Herman » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:18 am UTC

If I had to live more than 200 years ago, I'd go all the way back to pre-agricultural times and just live in a hunter-gatherer tribe. Because after the agricultural revolution, but before the industrial one, most people were farmers, and being a farmer without modern tools seems like a pretty good recipe for antiwin. Backbreaking work, disease, malnutrition, monotony, the chance of marauding barbarians or the church flaying you alive... not fun. Live as a hunter-gatherer would be hard too, but at least they got a balanced diet, and there were no major wars or megadiseases. But I'm very thankful for my cocoon of modernity.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:21 am UTC

Herman wrote:If I had to live more than 200 years ago, I'd go all the way back to pre-agricultural times and just live in a hunter-gatherer tribe. Because after the agricultural revolution, but before the industrial one, most people were farmers, and being a farmer without modern tools seems like a pretty good recipe for antiwin. Backbreaking work, disease, malnutrition, monotony, the chance of marauding barbarians or the church flaying you alive... not fun. Live as a hunter-gatherer would be hard too, but at least they got a balanced diet, and there were no major wars or megadiseases. But I'm very thankful for my cocoon of modernity.

Also they actually had lots of leisure time; just something I remember from my world history class.

Kikral

Postby Kikral » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:22 am UTC

Aztec. I want to learn what my culture was hiding. I want to hold a weapon of obsidian and slay my enemies. I want to sacrifice hearts to gods so numerous that I may be considered a direct link between them. I just want to live a primal life fueled by war between nomadic peoples and a bunch of festivals.

Either that or the Mongols.
I am the man your gods will have nightmares about for the next 50 years.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:35 am UTC

American Indian would be nice!
=]

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:39 am UTC

If I'm allowed to switch genders too, I'd say that I'd want to be part of the Chinese bureaucracy...maybe Tang Dynasty, for the introduction of missionaries. East Asian history is so fascinating to me, but simultaneously bound feet and general anti-female sentiment = antiwin. Keeping the gender switch, perhaps Heian-era Japan, mostly for the onmyodo and the art development. I wouldn't want to be a pre-modern woman, really, there's too much that'd suck about it.
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:44 am UTC

Not really ancient, but I wouldn't mind post revolutionary US - given better medical care and a better justice system. Gotta love the enlightenment era deists.
...the whim of a hat.

Dr. Venture

Postby Dr. Venture » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:56 am UTC

The golden age of piracy. Hoist the black flag, mateys!
Resident super-scientist.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:57 am UTC

I wouldn't. I'd stay here.

schumi_girl
Human sacrifice for hire

Postby schumi_girl » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:58 am UTC

Elizabethan times. Love the feel of that era.

Adam: "This could be trouble."
Riley: "We'd better make a fort."
Adam: "I'll get some pillows."

Memo

Postby Memo » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:13 am UTC

Late Middle Ages - Renaissance. As a Medici or something. I love that kind of financial power.

vrek
pigasm!

Postby vrek » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:15 am UTC

mid to late 1800s china. I have a very good reason but I swear I am not addicted no matter what anyone says.

Solt

Postby Solt » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:24 am UTC

Revolution era American Colonies.

The height of Greek civilization.

The beginning of the modern space age.

But mostly, I'm happy to be alive now. Human knowledge and limits are expanding faster than ever and there's no telling what the future holds. What an exciting time to be young!
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:28 am UTC

Way down, below the ocean.
Where I wanna be, she may be.

Atlantis! :)
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"
"It's Japan. Of course they will."

pingu

Postby pingu » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:17 am UTC

Ancient Greece. No question.

Incidentally, I love animals...

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:30 am UTC

Unforgiven wrote:Way down, below the ocean.

I hate you. I was going to say that, and be totally original and creative.

Anyways, either East Coast American Indian (anyone else read 1491? Is that guy legit?) or Spartan (I have not seen 300, so please, no stupid movie references). But seriously, if the records about Sparta aren't fabricated (there's a good chance most of it was lies, since they were kinda the superheroes of the time), than they were awesome. None of them farmed, they just enslaved nearby nations and forced them to feed them, they were nudist, they were big on feminism and gender equality, were quite sexually open and rather enlightened, and about the age of 14 boys were stripped of absolutely everything, clothes, weapons, spare change, and sent out into the countryside in small groups where they had to survive and fulfill some random task in order to become men. And they terrified everybody. However, as I metioned, a lot of that is probably legend.

@pingu, the likelyhood of you getting the chance to have incestuous sex with a god in animal form is kinda small. Stop it with your sick fantasies.

Cephalus

Postby Cephalus » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:34 am UTC

Most of these answers seem to be based on you being in the ruling class of that time. I think if all you could be was promised a culture to be reborn into, but as some random person in that culture - not neccesarily one of the top dogs, but more likely a slave/servant - most of these answers would change very quickly.
Lurker Extraordinaire

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:37 am UTC

Cephalus wrote:Most of these answers seem to be based on you being in the ruling class of that time. I think if all you could be was promised a culture to be reborn into, but as some random person in that culture - not neccesarily one of the top dogs, but more likely a slave/servant - most of these answers would change very quickly.

But of course. We're talkig aout the impossible here, so why nlot mix in the improbable while we're at it? Our current age is one of the best for being on the bottom.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:56 am UTC

My initial response would be 20th Century America, but I'll get called out as a "liberal", so I'll probably settle for pre-Meiji Japan, where I would live as a joiner.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:32 am UTC

French Middle ages, even though they would probably suck.

And Stone Age would be awesome.
=]

Verator

Postby Verator » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:38 am UTC

Dibley wrote:

Anyways, either East Coast American Indian (anyone else read 1491? Is that guy legit?) or Spartan (I have not seen 300, so please, no stupid movie references). But seriously, if the records about Sparta aren't fabricated (there's a good chance most of it was lies, since they were kinda the superheroes of the time), than they were awesome. None of them farmed, they just enslaved nearby nations and forced them to feed them, they were nudist, they were big on feminism and gender equality, were quite sexually open and rather enlightened, and about the age of 14 boys were stripped of absolutely everything, clothes, weapons, spare change, and sent out into the countryside in small groups where they had to survive and fulfill some random task in order to become men. And they terrified everybody. However, as I metioned, a lot of that is probably legend.

@pingu, the likelyhood of you getting the chance to have incestuous sex with a god in animal form is kinda small. Stop it with your sick fantasies.

At 7 or so all children are taken from their families and sent into a training program until they're 16. Those that survive, they're tasked with sneaking to a spot, killing a slave, and getting away silently to become a man, and if they fail, they're whipped 100 times, and can't try again for 6 months.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:58 am UTC

Egypt, on the condition that I can be born to *at least* scribe status.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:32 am UTC

Verator wrote:
Dibley wrote:

At 7 or so all children are taken from their families and sent into a training program until they're 16. Those that survive, they're tasked with sneaking to a spot, killing a slave, and getting away silently to become a man, and if they fail, they're whipped 100 times, and can't try again for 6 months.

Ther are some rather nasty stories about Spartan coming of age, but they are also unconfirmed. The problem is, the Spartans enslaved people because they didn't like to do their own farming. Also, they kicked lots of ass. Thus, nasty rumors abounded, though some of them may have been true.

pingu

Postby pingu » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:32 am UTC

Dibley wrote:@pingu, the likelyhood of you getting the chance to have incestuous sex with a god in animal form is kinda small. Stop it with your sick fantasies.

Incestuous zoophillia seems someone restricted to being an animal :P

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:47 am UTC

It would be a demigod who is also your half brother/mother/whatever the fuck. The Greeks were weird.

EDIT: On further thought, half-mother? What the fuck?

Verator

Postby Verator » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:29 am UTC

Dibley wrote:It would be a demigod who is also your half brother/mother/whatever the fuck. The Greeks were weird.

EDIT: On further thought, half-mother? What the fuck?

They were the greeks, magical sex changes?

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:37 am UTC

They were the greeks. It was your half-mother, half-goat.

They/them

digitalc

Postby digitalc » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:49 am UTC

Ancient Israel, so I could see what the whole Jesus thing was about.

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:42 am UTC

Eden.

life is pretty good now, but it is after the fall, so think about how much better things would have been!
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

pseudoMuso

Postby pseudoMuso » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:46 am UTC

i'd like to visit the year 3500, so i can go back in time and visit the year 2500.
Don't move.
Galaxies and outreaching Universe included.
What would you do then, huh? What would you do without your precious momentum? You would be justified.

clearbright

Postby clearbright » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

Ancient Egypt FTW! As a cat though. For some reason, that place has always has a captivating feel for me. ^_^

robinberghuys

Postby robinberghuys » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

I'd like to go to any time to do spoilers. I'd go to ancient Greece right before Socrates and tell everyone his philosophies and why I think they are wrong.

Or I'd go to ancient Rome and publish the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith and Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica by Newton, just to see if and/or how it would affect their society.

Or I might go to the Netherlands in 1650, introduce things like the internal combustion and steam engine, rubber tyres, the concept of flight and machine guns, just to make sure 'we' wouldn't lose all of 'our' colonies to the English, thus making Dutch the major world language that English is today. (I think it would be awesome if America were Dutch!)

Or maybe I would go to viking times and take a whole bunch of vikings to America. And make sure we wouldn't get our asses kicked. Who knows what would've happened if North America had been a viking colony?

The posibilities are endless and pretty awesome.

Verator

Postby Verator » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:22 pm UTC

North America had viking colonies. They all died. Seriously, there's archeological remains of their homes.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:23 pm UTC

It wasn't terrifically widespread colonization, though, if I'm not mistaken

They/them

robinberghuys

Postby robinberghuys » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:26 pm UTC

Verator wrote:North America had viking colonies. They all died. Seriously, there's archeological remains of their homes.

I guess I wasn't being very clear. I think it would be cool to go back in time to make sure that the viking colonies in north America wouldn't die out.

C. uniparens

Postby C. uniparens » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:44 pm UTC

Man, so many cultures were so interesting, but in a lot of cases being female seems like it would limit the options of being quite as happy.

If I could be a man, being a Viking would be seriously awesome with or without America. I love the ocean's presence in their culture and Scandanavian mythology in general. And it would be so cool to be part of the voyage that discovered Iceland or Greenland.

lukkucairi

Postby lukkucairi » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

Kawa wrote:I wouldn't want to be a pre-modern woman, really, there's too much that'd suck about it.

C. uniparens wrote:Man, so many cultures were so interesting, but in a lot of cases being female seems like it would limit the options of being quite as happy.

I third this sentiment.

I would not want to be female any time in history after pre-agricultural times and before about 1970.

If I could choose any time in not-necessarily-ancient history to live, I'd say about 100 years from now. I want to see what's going to happen :)

other than that, give me a hunter-gatherer tribe, thanks.

LoonRadio

Postby LoonRadio » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

I don't know. Somewhere warm and has plumbing.
You know what's worse than raining cats and dogs?
Hailing taxicabs.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:24 pm UTC

LoonRadio wrote:I don't know. Somewhere warm and has plumbing.

Eqypt?
=]

Return to “General”