resetting my sleep schedule

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jjfortherear

resetting my sleep schedule

Postby jjfortherear » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:17 pm UTC

Well, semester starts on monday, and I've been up until around 4 am most of break, so I decided to go all the way a couple days ago, and push the thing forward until I'm falling asleep at around 5-6 pm, and, at worst, waking up at 5-6 am. Don't know if any of you guys have routinely done this, but I tell you it totally sucks. I went to sleep at 6:00 three days ago, then 9:00 two days ago, then 12:00 yesterday, and am shooting for as late as possible today. The one interesting thing is that usually, I'll sleep for 10-12 hours if I go to sleep around midnight (normal, comfortable sleep stuffs), but over the last 3 days, I've gotten 7.5 or so at most. Stupid/ironic thing is my first class isn't until 11 this semester, but whatever, always wanted to try this.
Qaanol wrote:Actually this could be a great idea. See, you just have to bill the mission to an extrasolar planet as a mission, and then let all the fundamentalists from all religions be the missionaries.

Zarq

Re: resetting my sleep schedule

Postby Zarq » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:29 pm UTC

When I need to reset my sleep schedule, I usually don't sleep a night and go to bed at the correct hour the day before (or a bit earlier, so I can get up at the correct time and still be rested)
Last edited by Zarq on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

jjfortherear

Postby jjfortherear » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:32 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:When I need to reset my sleep schedule, I usually do sleep a night and go to bed at the correct hour the day before (or a bit earlier, so I can get up at the correct time and still be rested)

you mean don't sleep?
Qaanol wrote:Actually this could be a great idea. See, you just have to bill the mission to an extrasolar planet as a mission, and then let all the fundamentalists from all religions be the missionaries.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:34 pm UTC

(yep)
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

jjfortherear

Postby jjfortherear » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

yeah, i don't think i'll ever stay up 24 hours again in my life. i'd rather wake up too early, as much as i want to blow my brains out when i do.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:52 pm UTC

If you've only been up 'til 4 am, then you could simply turn in early and set the alarm for 7 am or whenever you get up and live with walking around like the shuffling dead for a day, and use the extra sleepiness to get an early night and help synch up with your local time zone.

The most difficult part is getting out of bed, when you've managed that, it's not -that- bad (it's more difficult to stay awake for 30+ hours).
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

jjfortherear

Postby jjfortherear » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:21 pm UTC

yeah, definitely agree, but i feel like that provides a more temporary solution, as the night after that, i'll just be up until 1 or 2 again. although, i'm 99 percent sure that'll happen doing this too, but i'm trying things out, since it is a new year.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

jjfortherear wrote:yeah, definitely agree, but i feel like that provides a more temporary solution, as the night after that, i'll just be up until 1 or 2 again. although, i'm 99 percent sure that'll happen doing this too, but i'm trying things out, since it is a new year.

The key to making a sleep schedule stick is always getting up at the same time (every day of the week, for several weeks). Doesn't matter if you don't get to sleep until 2 am, drag your self out of bed at that same time. The first couple of days can be rough, but from there on it gets easier pretty quickly.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

mstjarna

Postby mstjarna » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:42 pm UTC

This has made life worth living.

5 AM will always come too early.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:38 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:The key to making a sleep schedule stick is always getting up at the same time (every day of the week, for several weeks). Doesn't matter if you don't get to sleep until 2 am, drag your self out of bed at that same time. The first couple of days can be rough, but from there on it gets easier pretty quickly.

QFT

More specifically, the technique I've found to work is to follow these three rules, in decreasing order of importance:

1) Get up and stay up at the time you want your new wake-up time to be. Don't hit the snooze button. Don't try to catch another half-hour's shut eye. Do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Get yo' ass out of bed and stay up.

2) Don't give in to the temptation to take naps. You're gonna get pretty exhausted before your body readjusts its circadian rhythms, but naps are only going to confuse your body and make that process longer and more painful.

3) When your planned sleep time rolls around, get into your pajamas and get ready for bed. You don't have to go to sleep right away, but be ready to. And then, the moment you feel sleepy, GO TO BED. lie down, turn off the lights and try to go to sleep for at least half an hour. There's a lot of scientific evidence that the time your body is pumping out the most "stay-awake" chemicals is actually in the hour or two before your usual sleep time. So if you've been staying up until 4 am, you may well find it easier to steal a march on your circadian rhythms and go to sleep at midnight, rather than trying to move your bedtime more gradually.

Generally the way this will play out is that you'll get only a couple hours sleep the first two nights. By the third night you'll be exhausted and collapse into bed the moment your bed time rolls around. And if you can get up that next morning and keep to your schedule after that, it's all gravy.

Incidentally, anyone have any advice on convincing your significant other that they would be both healthier and happier if they actually managed to get themselves on some sort of sane sleep schedule?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:41 pm UTC

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

cybermutiny

Postby cybermutiny » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:57 pm UTC

My strategy for falling asleep at a specific time involves:

1) Clear my mind by listening to an audiobook for 20-30 minutes
2) Take a few swigs of vodka, wash it down with water, then fall asleep.

I think gradually working your way toward a new schedule is the wrong approach. You end up just dragging on the sleep saga way too long.
P = (A*F) - S, where A = art, F = funny, S = style, and P = Paint Avant-Garde

Eastwinn

Postby Eastwinn » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

mstjarna wrote:This has made life worth living.

5 AM will always come too early.

This is a good suggestion. GNC sells it. Take it at the time of day that you'd like to feel sleepy and your internal clock will conform after a few days. Then you won't need it until you fuck up your schedule again :lol:
http://aselliedraws.tumblr.com/ - surreal sketches and characters.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:23 pm UTC

Generally if I need to fix something like this, just an extra long day where I don't sleep helps me, then sleep around when I need to. Though my sleep schedule is pretty flexible overall, and fluxuates wildly...

My sleep schedule this week has been:

Go to bed after work (6pm or so usually), Wake up 12-1am sometime, 30-60 minute nap before work (usually at 7, and I leave around 8:30).

Return to “General”