Things few people know about you

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

reflex

Things few people know about you

Postby reflex » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:12 am UTC

As the title says. What are some things that few people, or no-one, know about you?

I tend to sort of...analyse people when I talk to them. When I talk to someone, in my mind I'm trying to figure out why they're saying something, or why they're doing something. Whether they are saying one thing while really meaning something else. I'm sure most people naturally do something like this, but I think I tend to go a bit overboard on it.
Magnanimous wrote:It's more like a big blob of wibbley wobbley... timey wimey... stuff.

Oregonaut wrote:Sun eating thing. It eats sun. Its green by eating sun.

Oregonaut wrote:YOU! With the bear...

Promicin

Re: Things few people know about you

Postby Promicin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

I'm really socially awkward. I don't think people realize this, because I'm usually pretending to be one of the characters in my stories. Very few people have ever talked to "me." Usually it's Lindy or Kat. Sometimes it's Nolan. Once it was Lindy's cat, but that didn't work out so well.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:49 pm UTC

I'm plagued by self-doubt, and in social situations I won't speak unless I have something I think is worth saying.

The reason few people know this is because I look very confident, I speak slowly in a gentle but authorotive tone, I say exactly what I think and due to that second part I'm rarely objectively wrong*.

Of course that only applys to IRL interactions, On the internet I'm opinionated, vitriolic, tenatious and let my [proverbial] mouth [on my fingertips] run away with me.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:35 pm UTC

I have diabetes! And I am not okay with it at all and I hate it. Since I found out I could count myself as a cyborg 'cause of this, it feels a bit better, though.

I don't really know where the line between serious and ironic goes.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:43 pm UTC

Underneath all this hair I have a scar on my head from when I was a baby. A nurse pulled a mysterious scab off my head when I was being given one of my first baths and I now have a raised scar about the size of a penny.
I used to be really self conscious about it, but now I don't really care. I should give it a name...
Ⓞⓞ◯

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:42 pm UTC

I'm fairly shy due to a childhood stutter and speech impediment. Those are mostly gone (though if I'm thinking too fast, tired, caught off guard, or drunk, you can still hear it), but I still have a really hard time mentally letting myself go. I also HATE small talk. One on one, I'm a little bubbly ball of energy so it really throws people off when they see me in groups.

I take the foreign service exam every year, and tend to pass it until I get to the final cut. I don't like many people knowing so when I don't make it all the way, I don't feel like I disappointed anyone.

I have a mole on the sole of my foot and on my boob. I hope they never become cancerous more because I like the way they look than, you know, cancer.

I smoke pot.

I am really good at Starcraft.

I once was almost a professional clarinetist. I'm basically crap now.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:37 pm UTC

Over the course of my life I have made many acquaintances in meatspace and talked to many folks online but I've only ever made 6 friends. (friends of friends that I don't talk to when the primary friend isn't present I don't count) I consider them family and even though 5 of the 6 have moved away and I still keep in touch regularly and all 6 of these people would do anything for me and I would do anything for them.

I'm still not sure whether or not this means I'm really bad at making friends or really good at it, perhaps both.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:22 pm UTC

I write fanfiction.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:23 pm UTC

charolastra wrote:I'm fairly shy due to a childhood stutter and speech impediment. Those are mostly gone (though if I'm thinking too fast, tired, caught off guard, or drunk, you can still hear it), but I still have a really hard time mentally letting myself go. I also HATE small talk. One on one, I'm a little bubbly ball of energy so it really throws people off when they see me in groups.

I take the foreign service exam every year, and tend to pass it until I get to the final cut. I don't like many people knowing so when I don't make it all the way, I don't feel like I disappointed anyone.

I have a mole on the sole of my foot and on my boob. I hope they never become cancerous more because I like the way they look than, you know, cancer.

I smoke pot.

I am really good at Starcraft.

I once was almost a professional clarinetist. I'm basically crap now.

*does the secret lapsed clarinetist high five.* Not that I was in any danger of being payed to play the thing though.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:30 pm UTC

reflex wrote:I tend to sort of...analyse people when I talk to them. When I talk to someone, in my mind I'm trying to figure out why they're saying something, or why they're doing something. Whether they are saying one thing while really meaning something else. I'm sure most people naturally do something like this, but I think I tend to go a bit overboard on it.

I tend to be very laconic. It tends to drive analyzers like you nuts.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

FermiumBalloon

Postby FermiumBalloon » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:07 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:
charolastra wrote:I once was almost a professional clarinetist. I'm basically crap now.

*does the secret lapsed clarinetist high five.* Not that I was in any danger of being payed to play the thing though.

I'm the same way, not in that I was particularly good at it before, but in that my skill at it has been asymptotically approaching zero since I stopped playing.

As far as things few people know, I'm generally quiet due to shyness/awkwardness, sometimes to the point of seeming antisocial, but am actually much more social and energetic around people who I know very well or feel particularly comfortable with.
Also, the fact that when I'm sure nobody can hear me, I tend to sing along rather loudly to whatever music I'm listening to (especially if it's by Queen).

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

I have nearly died a few times, some of them voluntarily.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:06 am UTC

On a related note: The burn on my hadn was not a cookery ccident, it was self inflicted.

On a more light-hearted note: I was born with one of my testicles not fully dropped. It was, instead, lodged where one of my ovaries would be if I was a girl. Now apparently this is quite usual and the testicle usually drops itself sometime in the child's first few years of life, but it didn't. Some time as a kid (I can't remember exactly when) I had to go to hospital, basicly to have one of my balls poked out. There is a scar, but it's covered by my... neither region hair, so only my ex-girlfriend has seen it in recent years.

Weird thing is my brother apparently had the same thing, only on the opposite side. Plus we both have a birthmark that looks like a sort of blotchy red mark on our shouldiers, only we have the opposite shouldiers.. We seem to be reflections of each other...

EDIT:
TaintedDeity wrote:Underneath all this hair I have a scar on my head from when I was a baby. A nurse pulled a mysterious scab off my head when I was being given one of my first baths and I now have a raised scar about the size of a penny.
I used to be really self conscious about it, but now I don't really care. I should give it a name...

Head-scar-buddy high five! Although for me that's more a thing-few-people-knew-about-me-until-I-shaved-most-of-my-head-and-ended-up-with-the-scar-leading-right-into-my-mohawk. I fell down the stairs when I was four and hit my head on a radiator because I tripped over the towel I'd put over my head so I could scare Mum by making her think I was a ghost.

EDIT 2: I have a DeviantArt account. I don't show anybody or friend anyone I know though because I basicly use it as a place to blow off steam, like a more angsty and more detailed version of the rant thread. I don't want people knowing some off the stuff I've written on there.
Last edited by OBrien on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:12 am UTC

I write a lot of scraps of stuff.
uhhhh fuck.

nehpest

Postby nehpest » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:18 am UTC

OBrien wrote:Weird thing is my brother apparently had the same thing, only on the opposite side. Plus we both have a birthmark that looks like a sort of blotchy red mark on our shouldiers, only we have the opposite shouldiers.. We seem to be reflections of each other...

Which of you is the evil twin?

OT: I occasionally feel bad about not being as godwful awesome as my loved ones think I am. I once had a chat with my mom that began with me talking about how rough it was when I first started trying to go to school on my own, and she basically told me "pshaw, you can do anything." I mean, I appreciate the confidence and support, but the fact that nobody even acknowledges the possibility that I might fail kinda freaks me out. Stupid overachieving-high-school-me, setting unrealistic expectations :|
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:22 am UTC

nehpest wrote:Which of you is the evil twin?

My brother. We did both have goaties at one point, but he had his first and still continues to have it while I am now clean shaven.

nehpest wrote:OT: I occasionally feel bad about not being as godwful awesome as my loved ones think I am. I once had a chat with my mom that began with me talking about how rough it was when I first started trying to go to school on my own, and she basically told me "pshaw, you can do anything." I mean, I appreciate the confidence and support, but the fact that nobody even acknowledges the possibility that I might fail kinda freaks me out. Stupid overachieving-high-school-me, setting unrealistic expectations :|

This :(
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

picnic_crossfire

Postby picnic_crossfire » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:38 am UTC

I tweet.
picnic time!

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:54 am UTC

IRL? People don't know I go on foras or read bazillions of webcomics, and many don't know I read manga.

reflex

Postby reflex » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:00 am UTC

Chandani wrote:IRL? People don't know I go on foras or read bazillions of webcomics, and many don't know I read manga.

Sort of the same for me. I tend to keep the forums I'm on to myself. Try to keep it separate from my real life. If I knew that people I knew in real life were on a forum, and knew who I was on that forum, there would be lots of things I wouldn't say. Or I may leave all together, or start a new account without them knowing. Not entirely sure why...
Magnanimous wrote:It's more like a big blob of wibbley wobbley... timey wimey... stuff.

Chandani

Postby Chandani » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:02 am UTC

The anonmity of the web? The ability to express oneself with (less) social constrictions?

Also, my parents don't like foras. I don't think they consciously think about it anymore though. That's good.

reflex

Postby reflex » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:12 am UTC

I think that's mostly it. I tend to talk about a lot of stuff on forums that I would rarely talk about to most people irl, bar one or two. I find it far easier to talk to total strangers about my problems, especially because I know they are far less likely to judge me. They also betray me and start telling everybody I know very personal information. All those reasons are why I love the internet.

mmark9094

Postby mmark9094 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:41 am UTC

I have existential crises frequently. I think about how I am treating my friends, how I should be treating them, regrets that I have, things that I have(n't) done, where my morals are, where they should be, whether or not I am acting in accordance with said morals, whether or not any should be changed, etc. During these moments, I will spend a good amount of time spacing out, and its pretty obvious when I do. And yet, I don't think my friends truly grasp how complex these crises are. Friends, if you do, let me know. (I don't know if any actually read my forum posts.)

How long this stays this way, I haven't a clue.

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:03 am UTC

I used to collect stamps.
I used to be an artistic gymnast.
I can swear in my Native language (Nsyilxcn!).
If I could, I would own a bee farm.

I'm pretty boring ^^;

manictheatrefan

Postby manictheatrefan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:43 am UTC

ginadagny wrote:I can swear in my Native language (Nsyilxcn!).

I just googled that.

'Tis amazing.

darknut

Postby darknut » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:00 am UTC

Last edited by darknut on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:24 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
poxic wrote: Take a source of light and cook it up until it lases -- now you have a laser.

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:12 am UTC

manictheatrefan wrote:
ginadagny wrote:I can swear in my Native language (Nsyilxcn!).

I just googled that.

'Tis amazing.

Its a neat language for sure, just extremely difficult to learn! @_@

Moar: I've always been a piss-poor math student. I've always had to work extremely hard to nail B's in math class.
I have oral allergy syndrome, meaning certain foods (like snap peas) make my mouth itchy and my soft palate swell. Ugh.
I graduate as a registered nurse in June and I'm secretly terrified about it.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:49 am UTC

I'm bisexual.

I'm an atheist, or at least very atheist-leaning agnostic.

It frustrates me that all of my friends at home are Christians.

I wasn't being antisocial last semester when I ignored all those texts and invitations to hang out. I actually had to take a medical withdrawal from school to get treated for depression and anxiety. I guess that means I'd rather have people think I'm an asshole than talk to my friends about my problems and be vulnerable.

The real reason I am taking next semester off isn't because I need to earn money (though I do). It's because I am still too depressed to go back.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:51 am UTC

sometimes I'll shower ten times in one week, sometimes once. I refer to the latter as depression weeks. I took a shower today, thus ending my Depression Week, and I gotta say that conditioner is wizard semen or something. It's distilled magic.
uhhhh fuck.

Promicin

Postby Promicin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

I watch Project Runway. I am very tomboyish, enjoy football and playing with snails, and my idea of fashion is "Has this been washed this month?" so I think people would find this surprising.

I write murder mysteries for fun.

I believe in ghosts.

My favorite music is from the 50's through the 80's. People expect me to like recent music for some reason.

I always wanted to be a figure skater.

Retne

Postby Retne » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:47 am UTC

mmark9094 wrote:I have existential crises frequently. I think about how I am treating my friends, how I should be treating them, regrets that I have, things that I have(n't) done, where my morals are, where they should be, whether or not I am acting in accordance with said morals, whether or not any should be changed, etc. During these moments, I will spend a good amount of time spacing out, and its pretty obvious when I do. And yet, I don't think my friends truly grasp how complex these crises are. Friends, if you do, let me know. (I don't know if any actually read my forum posts.)

How long this stays this way, I haven't a clue.

I'm pretty much the exact same way but I don't freak out about it as much. I just look at it as being a little bit more open minded. I've been this way since I was young and I'm in my mid 20s now. Still hasn't stopped for me and I doubt it ever will. Ya just need to put a slightly different outlook on it.

Korrente

Postby Korrente » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:34 am UTC

TheKrikkitWars wrote:I'm plagued by self-doubt, and in social situations I won't speak unless I have something I think is worth saying.

The reason few people know this is because I look very confident, I speak slowly in a gentle but authorotive tone, I say exactly what I think and due to that second part I'm rarely objectively wrong*.

Of course that only applys to IRL interactions...

What he said.

I think I'm bad in social situations because my usual quick-wittedness goes out the door when I'm around too many new people. I hate it to death but I can't make myself be myself unless I'm by myself (or with friends).

The best part about being quieter in social situations is that you can always say 'I knew this would happen.' When something goes the way no one expected it to but you never presented a real opinion on whether you knew it would or not, and people trust you. As such, people tend to take what I say as quite insightful unless it's about the person who's asking (especially if it's negative).

However, I try to be the same way on the interwebs because I hate being wrong even if it's just because someone misunderstood.

Acting this way works really well for me but I know another person who does it, and I hate it. I want to know what she's thinking but she'll never say it, and so I can't read her. It's frustrating when people use my own tricks against me!

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:25 am UTC

I like to write poetry, but I hardly ever actually do because I'm almost always lacking inspiration of the sort needed.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:30 am UTC

I didn't consciously realise I no longer considered myself religious until the subject came up in pillow talk.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Malodine

Postby Malodine » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:14 pm UTC

I shot and killed a man that broke into my house after he kicked in the front door and was opening my bedroom door. I had initially stayed in the bedroom and was calling 911 on my cell when the person entered the bedroom and I fatally shot and killed him. He apparently used to live in the house with his wife but she divorced him while he was in jail for spousal abuse and he came to their old residence looking for her not knowing she moved.
Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever

Promicin

Postby Promicin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:53 pm UTC

For a long time, I was convinced I was an asexual organism and would one day split in two to reproduce. Now my hormones, which were apparently late to the party, tell me otherwise. I'm pretty sure no one knows this, as I used to pretend to have crushes on people so I'd seem normal.

picnic_crossfire

Postby picnic_crossfire » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:51 pm UTC

Malodine wrote:I shot and killed a man that broke into my house after he kicked in the front door and was opening my bedroom door. I had initially stayed in the bedroom and was calling 911 on my cell when the person entered the bedroom and I fatally shot and killed him. He apparently used to live in the house with his wife but she divorced him while he was in jail for spousal abuse and he came to their old residence looking for her not knowing she moved.

Holy shit
picnic time!

Korrente

Postby Korrente » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:16 am UTC

Malodine wrote:I shot and killed a man that broke into my house after he kicked in the front door and was opening my bedroom door. I had initially stayed in the bedroom and was calling 911 on my cell when the person entered the bedroom and I fatally shot and killed him. He apparently used to live in the house with his wife but she divorced him while he was in jail for spousal abuse and he came to their old residence looking for her not knowing she moved.

Given that he was in jail for spousal abuse and broke down the door to her house, I'd say you probably did a good thing. Definitely good that you were there and not her.

B.Good

Postby B.Good » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:49 am UTC

I sometimes go through existential crises. I often times compare myself to the greats in whatever field I was interested at the time (now that it's math(s) it's people like Gauss, Euler, etc.) and I guess my heightened self-importance (I have no idea where THAT son of a bitch came from) makes me feel absolutely terrible that I'll never even be infinitesimally as good as them. Luckily, they don't come around very often and I get over it kind of quickly, it's not that I become okay with my mediocrity, it just stops bothering me for the time being.

I have a scar on my forehead from when I was first learning how to walk. My house at the time had a fireplace in a carpeted room and there was a space where the carpeting ended and a stone section near the fireplace began (sorry for this shit explanation, hopefully people who already know what I'm talking about will understand). So me, being very clumsy, tripped and fell right on that area between the carpeting and stone section, and now I have a small scar right near my hairline.

I'm actually kind of shy around people. If I see someone that I know around that pretty much isn't my best friend of my girlfriend, I won't say hi to them. I don't really have a rational reason for this, especially because if I'm already engaged in a conversation I'll be very loud and say almost anything.

I was diagnosed with depression when I was 10. I guess it still kind of shows in the existential crises shown above, but overall I can cope significantly better.

manictheatrefan

Postby manictheatrefan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:54 am UTC

Promicin wrote:I used to pretend to have crushes on [boys] so I'd seem normal.

fix'd for me

Odd_nonposter

Postby Odd_nonposter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:27 am UTC

I have to consciously force myself to socialize with people.

I hate Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, etc. like the plague. I find absolutely no reason for them to exist.

I make my own alcohol, even though I'm not particularly fond of drinking.

I say that my biggest dream is to be an engineer, but I'm not so certain about that.
CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.

Return to “General”