Merlin

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Chrismclegless

Merlin

Postby Chrismclegless » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:47 pm UTC

I don't know how many of you have seen this, but it's being aired in Britain on BBC1. It's a drama about Merlin, Arthur and Camelot before Arthur became king. It's good fun, even though the acting can be a bit woody, as long as you know what you're going into. It's light Saturday evening viewing. I'm really enjoying it - anyone else here watch it?
Londo: Maybe it was something I said?
G'Kar: Maybe it is everything you say.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

sm_usagi

Re: Merlin

Postby sm_usagi » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

Who is in it? I only know the mini-series Merlin with Sam Neill and co. It's very cool though!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

So long as you're prepared to take your brain out, it's good fun. Unfortunately, I'm one of those awkward sods who can't help but notice people eating sandwiches hundreds of years before they were invented.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

3fj

Postby 3fj » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

Or merlin being a good sight younger than arthur?

Love the show with a passion though. One of the better things the BBC has produced in a while.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:39 am UTC

I just couldn't get into this show, despite the fact that Anthony Head plays Uther Pendragon. Shame really. What made me look forward to the series is what turned me off of it: I really like the King Arthur legend but the series is so disconnected to it that I just can't enjoy it.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

I like it. I know that it doesn't follow the traditional Arthurian legend, but it's kind of nice seeing it done in a different way. It's always nice to have a good show to look forward to.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:42 am UTC

I entirely blame the Robin Hood series (Which I came to enjoy) for this series and its crimes against humanity. Anthony Head is the only good thing about this show, and even then he's in a part that doesn't really suit him.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:03 pm UTC

I LOVE MERLIN! It makes me SO HAPPY! Especially season two!
I LOVE how it messes with the story, I'm so god damn sick of the original story.
Yes, the first handful of episodes are pretty simplistic, but it develops and grows and matures, and the character interaction gets stronger. Plus it makes fun of itself a lot. It does suffer slightly from being a little too American, but Aurthur's teeth are still pretty awful when you can see all of them. Merlin's are bizarrely straight... he should know better than to use magic that way.

SlyReaper wrote:So long as you're prepared to take your brain out, it's good fun. Unfortunately, I'm one of those awkward sods who can't help but notice people eating sandwiches hundreds of years before they were invented.

It's one thing to notice, it's another to care. Working medicine wasn't really invented either, that one bothers me more.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:11 pm UTC

Did Morganna's smug, evil grin all the time really bug anyone else, or was it just me? Other than that though, I really like it.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Phill

Postby Phill » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:49 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Did Morganna's smug, evil grin all the time really bug anyone else, or was it just me? Other than that though, I really like it.

Hahaha, I kept on thinking "HOW CAN ANYONE NOT REALISE SHE'S EVIL?!!!"

The most recent series did bug me a fair bit actually, it was kind of enjoyable but in the end I missed a few episodes (including the last one) and I didn't really care. I think they started to run out of ideas, but apparently the finale was actually quite good. Maybe I should go back and watch it.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:46 pm UTC

Morganna should not turn evil. I'll be sad!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:04 pm UTC

I just don't feel like Merlin would have betrayed Morganna like that, it's just not in his personality. Any other episode he would have "found another way" and for gods sake, just tell her you have magic too, or you know what? Tell her you read about the magic in one of Gaius' books and that you know she's the source, and see what she says! Maybe just get her out of the city! GAH!

So many other things in the series are off-cannon, why do Morgain and Mordred have to be all totally horrible? Merlin really needs to actually make friends with some magic users already! We need some more proof that magic isn't evil. I know I know, tell people something is a crime, and the people who do it become criminals...but they still need more GOOD magic users for Merlin to meet. I guess as things move forward and Aurthur becomes king he has to be shown that magic can be used for good first.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”