Dark Knight Rises

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Amnesiasoft

Re: New Bat-Villains announced.

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:49 pm UTC

So, I'm the only one that was terribly disappointed with the Joker in TDK? Okay. Mark Hamill Joker will always be the Joker to me.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:54 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:So, I'm the only one that was terribly disappointed with the Joker in TDK? Okay. Mark Hamill Joker will always be the Joker to me.

If you're ever on a plane, Jack Nicholson is going to shoot it down with a revolver with a ridiculously long barrel.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:59 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:
Amnesiasoft wrote:So, I'm the only one that was terribly disappointed with the Joker in TDK? Okay. Mark Hamill Joker will always be the Joker to me.

If you're ever on a plane, Jack Nicholson is going to shoot it down with a revolver with a ridiculously long barrel.

Also did you guys know Jack Nicholson once played the Joker?
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:01 pm UTC

Also did you guys know that when Jack Nicholson was informed of Ledger's suicide, that his answer was "I warned him"? (it was something about how depressing the role was if you wanted to 'get in touch with the character')
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:11 pm UTC

The Joker is definitely not Highlander. Just saying.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:The Joker is definitely not Highlander. Just saying.

Maybe not to you.

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:03 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:I overheard that catwoman would be a new villain today, and I had to wonder if they were recasting Halle Berry.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, probably not.

I don't have any particular knowledge of the mythos, but wasn't the Catwoman outfit repurposed fetish-gear? Like, she was originally a prostitute?
WIll it work with a PG-13 rating?
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:52 pm UTC

legopelle wrote:
broken_escalator wrote:I overheard that catwoman would be a new villain today, and I had to wonder if they were recasting Halle Berry.

I don't have any particular knowledge of the mythos, but wasn't the Catwoman outfit repurposed fetish-gear? Like, she was originally a prostitute?
Halle Barry Catwoman and Batman Catwoman are arguably different characters. But in regards to the fetish gear, it seemed to fly alright in the Halle Barry movie and in the original comics.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

Yeah, do you know what else I hate? Awesome things. Seriously, don't awesome things suck? Yeah. The only thing I like? Really shitty things. For serious.

Jesse wrote:I hate Nathan Jones for personal reasons related to his treatment of certain of my friends.

Huh... Good story at least?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

He wrestled with some people I know for the WWE. He was a massive dickhead with a huge ego while managing to be a really shit wrestler. Not a great story.

Malice

Postby Malice » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

legopelle wrote:

Catwoman existed long before the idea that she was a prostitute (watch and be amazed as I cite myself). That particular concept originated with (who else?) Frank Miller, in his "Year One" Batman Begins-ish reboot in the late 80s. Naturally the movies followed suit.

blu

Postby blu » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:11 pm UTC

I'm not too familiar with either actor/actress, but I trust that the people behind the casting know what they're doing.

Some speculation, spoilered just in case.
Spoiler:
After the last film ending, what with Batman running away and the power vacuum in the city/mob, I can see a politician/crime-lord Bane leading the hunt on Batman.
Not sure how Catwoman enters this, maybe as a spectator or as someone on a different side but with the same goals as Batman (bringing down Bane).

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:06 pm UTC

Malice wrote:Catwoman existed long before the idea that she was a prostitute (watch and be amazed as I cite myself). That particular concept originated with (who else?) Frank Miller, in his "Year One" Batman Begins-ish reboot in the late 80s. Naturally the movies followed suit.

Well, a bad movie that didn't seem to have much in common with the source other than the title followed suit. Burton's Catwoman was not a prostitute, nor did she wear repurposed fetish gear. I have no idea what the 60s TV Catwoman's origin was, if she had one at all. As for her comics relationship with Batman, she's a thief, but since she also works to reduce violent crime in her section of Gotham, Batman mostly looks the other way and enlists her help when necessary since he's not terribly concerned with rich people replacing a statue with an insurance payment when compared to people being killed.

This casting could be good.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:28 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:My knowledge of Batman pretty much boils down to cartoons, former movies and games and having played Arkham Asylum: Bane was the pumped up steroid guy, right? I always thought Scarecrow was the best villain (yes, better than the joker). Too bad they used him in the first movie...
Bane is Doc Savage, only Evil.

If you are unfamiliar with Doc Savage, then click that link, as it'll give you the Wikipedia synopsis. If you can't be buggered to even do that, Doc Savage (and somewhat by extension, Bane) is a perfect man - Superintelligent, Superstrong, Supertalented in everything he does. Basically, a big giant Mary Sue.

Bane is that, with added Drug Addiction and a compulsion (at least in the beginning) to prove he's better than everyone. This means beating Batman - which he did.

Basically, Bane was put out in a time (which still includes today) in which a character can be super strong OR super smart, but not both. His origin is from a far earlier time, where the Hero is both super strong and super smart. Of course, if you aren't at all familiar with that or with the older pulp heroes that he's derived from, and you see covers like this.. then... yeah, you assume Bane must have the intelligence of a brick, as every other comic character you see with that physical build can be stymied by asking them to add 2 and 2 together, then take 2 away.

TL:DR Version - Bane is Batman on Steroids.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

PeterCai

Postby PeterCai » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

Isn't bane the first villan to figure out the identity of batman? That's a good plot right there.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

PeterCai wrote:Isn't bane the first villan to figure out the identity of batman? That's a good plot right there.

I'm pretty sure Ra's Al Ghul did it well before that.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:56 pm UTC

Doctor Hurt, Jezebel Jet, The Club of Villains, Hush, Ra's al Ghul, Talia al Ghul, Deathstroke, David Cain, Bane, Lady Shiva, Hugo Strange, Max Lord, Darkseid, Nekron, Black Hand, Despero... and probably Joker, but Joker doesn't really give a fuck and would keep that knowledge to himself 'cause it's funnier that way.

That's all that knows... dunno about the order.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

PeterCai

Postby PeterCai » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:48 pm UTC

right, I remember he is the first at something, but forgot what it was.

"Aware that a direct assault on Batman would be foolish, Bane destroys the walls of Arkham Asylum, allowing its deranged inmates (including the Joker, the Scarecrow, the Mad Hatter, the Ventriloquist, Firefly, Cavalier, and Victor Zsasz) to escape into Gotham City, where Batman spends three months rounding them up. Running himself to exhaustion, Batman returns to Wayne Manor, where Bane awaits him, having determined Batman's secret identity. Bane fights Batman in the Batcave, defeats him and delivers the final blow: Bane breaks Batman's back, leaving him paraplegic; Bane thus becomes the only man to have "Broken the Bat".[3][4]

from wiki, I guess that would be awsome as well.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:25 am UTC

New Batman poster, with Catwoman on it:

Spoiler:

I don't really like the outfit that much. It looks like Nightowl from Watchmen.
You rang?

blu

Postby blu » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:28 am UTC

Are you sure that's not a fan made poster?

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:29 am UTC

No.

It is fanmade. Frickin not-source-checking website :x And frickin not-source-checking me

It's a relief though. That suit doesn't look good at all.
You rang?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:25 am UTC

Re: Bane

Here's a quick and dirty writeup on him, with the new movie in mind.

Educate yourself if you are unfamiliar.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:35 pm UTC

legopelle wrote:

Was the Dark Knight PG-13? And a movie like the King's Speech ended up rated R?

The American movie rating system makes no sense to me.

Malice

Postby Malice » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:27 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:
legopelle wrote:

Was the Dark Knight PG-13? And a movie like the King's Speech ended up rated R?

The American movie rating system makes no sense to me.

In America, sex is worse than violence, cursing is worse than sex, nudity is worse than cursing. Nipples and the word "fuck" more than three times are the only ways guaranteed to get you an R-rating. So a movie like The Dark Knight, which contains no nudity, sex, or profanity is marked as better for 13 year olds than The King's Speech and its one scene theraputic, meaningless cursing used to cure a stutter. Even though one of those is a staid period drama and one of them is a tense, scary, disturbing movie about people getting blown up and their faces cut with knives and shooting each other.

It also may have something to do with TDK being a huge studio movie with a huge budget carrying a massively profitable franchise, all of which might be hampered by an R rating.

The American rating system is logical, you just have to look at it from the right (well, wrong) perspective.

nitePhyyre

Postby nitePhyyre » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:45 am UTC

Malice wrote:The American rating system is logical, you just have to look at it from the right (well, wrong) wing perspective.

FTFY

The first of the new batman movies was good up until the point when he became batman, then it got pretty lame. The second one was a good dumb action flick, but it wasn't the second coming like everyone makes it out to seem. I don't understand why the comic book movies have to include multiple villains in the sequels. It just makes the villain seem less menacing.

ps: Is Chrome right and 'movies' really isn't a word?
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:55 am UTC

nitePhyyre wrote:The second one was a good dumb action flick

I put it to you, sir, that it is you who are dumb if you were unable to grasp how intelligent that film actually was.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:11 am UTC

It occurs to me that I must now go out and watch 'The Dark Night'.

Next time I have a movie night, I think I'll take a look around for it...
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

PeterCai

Postby PeterCai » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:20 am UTC

Jesse wrote:I put it to you, sir, that it is you who are dumb if you were unable to grasp how intelligent that film actually was.

Umm, how intelligent was it? It was an action thriller that discuss some basic philosophy 101 morality, with a plot more complex than the mainstream action flick. That doesn't make it an arthouse film. It's still, in it's essence, a "dumb action flick"

blu

Postby blu » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:28 am UTC

This is a dumb action flick.
The Dark Knight is a nobel winning genius compared to that, action flick or not.

Malice

Postby Malice » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:26 am UTC

Forgotten in the vast reaches of the past, there was once a type of film which lay between "arthouse" and "dumb"--the intelligent, well-crafted action movie. Films like Die Hard, Jaws, Aliens, Heat, Blade Runner, Oldboy... Movies with well-crafted characters, innovative action sequences, and intelligible editing and cinematography; movies which understood that good writing and awesome action are not mutually exclusive.

The Dark Knight is well-written, well-shot, features new and exciting action sequences, and is about something besides explosions. There is a world of difference between that and "The Expendables".

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:46 am UTC

Malice wrote:intelligent, well-crafted action movie. Films like Die Hard
I was unaware of this. I shall have to investigate.

Also, I would argue that "arthouse" isn't really on the same spectrum as "dumb" and "intelligent." Primer is an intelligent movie, but I wouldn't call it arthouse. Begotten I would call arthouse, but I don't think it's very intelligent. Meshes of the Afternoon may be both.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:06 pm UTC

Malice wrote:There is a world of difference between that and "The Expendables".
Which is why Batman needs more Jason Statham.

Fuck it, everything needs more Jason Statham.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

EstLladon
Beat you to the park. From RUSSIA.

Postby EstLladon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Fuck it, everything needs more Jason Statham.

The truest words I've read all day.
From Russia with math.

mmmcannibalism

Dark Knight Rises

Postby mmmcannibalism » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:57 am UTC

I managed to get in as an extra at some filming today(scene at Heinz field in Pittsburgh, I was one of 12000 or so in a crowd), so I figured I would start the thread.

I can't wait to see the movie, hopefully Nolan will pull off an amazing finish to the trilogy.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

IcedT

Re: Dark Knight Rises

Postby IcedT » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:15 pm UTC

All I know is I couldn't be more stoked that Bane is in it.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:41 am UTC

Actually, I saw tom harding in costume live and it was very awesome.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:02 am UTC

I'm sure it will be an epic movie. But whoever edited the trailer that premiered before Harry Potter ought to be given a lesson in reaching a bare minimum of coherence. The trailer didn't make any darn sense at all.

tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:30 am UTC

I feel as if the trailer was mainly for everyone who is aware about what bane and the dark knight falling means together.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:18 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I'm sure it will be an epic movie. But whoever edited the trailer that premiered before Harry Potter ought to be given a lesson in reaching a bare minimum of coherence. The trailer didn't make any darn sense at all.

Spoiler:

At first I couldn't tell why the unicorn was in the picture... and then... now that is all I can see.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:17 pm UTC

IcedT wrote:All I know is I couldn't be more stoked that Bane is in it.

Considering half the comic writers can't even write Bane... I am not. At all.

It feels like we've had this conversation before. To search my post history and probably find a Batman Reboot III thread from a year ago! Heh.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”