Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Marbas

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Marbas » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:14 am UTC

Friend, I do not have a "Racist Mind" if I think the little Raccoon statue with a giant jug of hooch with a confederate flag stamped across is not exactly kosher.

Seriously, a Raccoon?
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Levi

Postby Levi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:51 am UTC

pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease stop questioning my decision to go to another high school for my senior year. I know the reasons I gave you aren't exactly sound, but I can't tell you the real reason, and it would be a bad idea for me to tell you I have a good one even if I don't tell you what it is. *worry*

Eastwinn

Postby Eastwinn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:13 am UTC

^ I can relate.

It makes me cringe whenever someone says a variant of "I'd kill myself if ________" ... I'm not necessarily offended, and it only really hits me emotionally if I'm in a bad mood anyway, but it think it contributes to our culture's tendency to take suicide lightly. That and the whole "suicide is selfish" mantra.
http://aselliedraws.tumblr.com/ - surreal sketches and characters.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:13 am UTC

high school rants, for funsies:

high school, I should graduate you sometime. BUT ALAS, that will have to be after my second semester in college begins.
Alternatively, take the next G.E.D. test cause I need SOMETHING before SOMEONE at this school figures out that I've been guiltily gaming the system.
uhhhh fuck.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:31 am UTC

viscusanima wrote:I just finished The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest today. I am so ridiculously sad that Larsson is dead :( such incredible talent gone.

To balance this, I am bloody angry that his family, with whom he had little to no contact, got the royalties for the books, rather than his partner. Bloody hell.

I saw a bit of an interview with Stieg's brother (on Skavlan), he seemed to be using the money for good things.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:08 pm UTC

What an awesome start to the work day. I get to be verbally attacked and yelled at as a proxy for the person they're really mad at. Yes, we have an issue. Yelling at me about it is not going to help. You're just looking like an ass in front of coworkers, and pissing me off.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

Dear ankles,
Please stop being wankstains, I need be on my feet for at least 6 hours a day at work, and I'm trying to take up jogging. Pain and wobbliness is not helping.

No love,

Me.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:11 am UTC

If there was a way for a computer to say FUCK YOU, with emphasis, I'm pretty sure mine just did it.

3 SSDs, gone. $500 of equipment poofed within 30 seconds of powered on.

AND I JUST GOT YOU A SHINY NEW WATER LOOP YOU BITCH!

HDDs are fine though, and I had a system image from sunday... but... WTF. I'm wondering if I should be installing my old PSU (2 different brands of SSD, on different cords from the PSU). And now I have to try and RMA them... I guess... GAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Levi

Postby Levi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:57 am UTC

I have to rant about sleep again. I have been up way super late every single night for months because I can't bring myself to drop whatever it is I'm doing and go to sleep. It's seemingly impossible for me to convince myself that it's important that I sleep when I should be doing it. It's plenty easy in the morning though :evil:

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:41 am UTC

Good to know that the RC helicopter might be not as fragile as it looked. Dad can't get out and play with it just yet, being recently (Jan 5) surgeried in the heart and thus healing a new chestgash. ( :shock: ) I'm sure he'll be out in a nearby field (the folks live out in 'burbs-past-the-'burbs) as soon as he's able.

And today's rant:

FIRE FIRE SET THE WHOLE GODDAMN PROJECT ON FIRE AND EVERYONE WHO EVER DID ANYTHING TO FUCK UP THESE THINGS THAT I KEEP TRIPPING OVER SET THEM ON FIRE TOO OH GOD JUST GIVE UP AND SET THE WHOLE DAMN CITY ON FIRE FUCK IT FUCK IT FUCK IT

Yeah, it's deployment time.

>.<
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:12 am UTC

So I was about to sig an awesome quote by Jahoclave, and then I read another awesome quote by Jahoclave. So then I'm trying to decide which one to sig, and lo and behold - another awesome quote by Jahoclave. I give up. My sig remains unchanged. DAMN YOU JAHOCLAVE, YOU ARE TOO AWESOME TO SIG!

Also I wish I could swear like Poxic. Maybe I should sig me some of that...
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:32 pm UTC

I was so tired last night, that I figured I'd sleep in. I've gone months without ever being awakened by anything, and this night when I really need some sleep, I get awakened not one, but FOUR times by people calling, and other crap going on in my apartment.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Link

Postby Link » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I was so tired last night, that I figured I'd sleep in. I've gone months without ever being awakened by anything, and this night when I really need some sleep, I get awakened not one, but FOUR times by people calling, and other crap going on in my apartment.

This post made me contemplate designing a special sort of answering machine that, instead of letting the phone ring on the receiving end, immediately "picks up" and plays a horribly dissonant shriek - volume turned not to ten, not to eleven, but to twelve - so that the caller will suffer from tinnitus for several hours after the attempted phone call.

Also, for the door bell, drill a tiny hole in the button, and behind this hole, place a fixed, razor-sharp needle, so that when someone pushes the button, ze stabs hirself in the finger. Possibly dab some irritant (e.g. concentrated capsaicin) onto the needle, so that the effect will have a greater duration.

Edit: of course, I'm not going to actually do that, and I highly suggest nobody else does so. It's all purely hypothetical.

Faithful

Postby Faithful » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:07 pm UTC

poxic wrote:FIRE FIRE SET THE WHOLE GODDAMN PROJECT ON FIRE AND EVERYONE WHO EVER DID ANYTHING TO FUCK UP THESE THINGS THAT I KEEP TRIPPING OVER SET THEM ON FIRE TOO OH GOD JUST GIVE UP AND SET THE WHOLE DAMN CITY ON FIRE FUCK IT FUCK IT FUCK IT

Yeah, it's deployment time.

>.<

*looks around the office*

Are you in here with me?

Deployment time for me as well. I don't need to rant, poxic did it for me.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:11 pm UTC

Newer software isn't always the best software:

• New version of Flash plugin on Linux doesn't store the cached video files conveniently into /tmp anymore. Bleh.
  • Current version of Chromium (well I haven't updated in a day or two but...) doesn't show the target URL anymore at all. What the fuck?!
  • Also, some JavaScript things used to not work but were then fixed. Now not fixed anymore.

Edit: And I don't mind getting advise regarding these things, by the way.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:43 pm UTC

So I used to think the team I'm in at work (about 10 of us) is pretty awesome. Actually, no, I still do think that. But just before Christmas two of the team members were made redundant, plus we're quite spread out geographically, and there are a range of different people (ages, personalities, &c.).

At the start of this year a new group moved into the office near my desk - and I guess it's partly because they're all keen and enthusiastic, but they're always going off for team events, and heading back the pub together after work, and I know it's great for them and they're not doing it to be annoying, but it just makes me irritated that there's no way that kind of thing would work in my team. We're lucky if we can all get in the same room at the same time twice a year, and even then some people won't want to go out or join in for some (quite reasonable) reason or other. Don't get me wrong, I love the group, I just didn't realise how much I wanted to have that 'young dynamic team' thing going - it reminds me of uni, I guess :?

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:53 am UTC

What a lovely way to waste a perfectly good day that I didn't have to in for exams. Woke up and immediately prayed to the porcelain god.

On the other hand, jello and shitty action movies are just what I needed.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:06 am UTC

Tools -> Options -> Projects and Solutions -> VC++ Directories

I get a message saying "VC++ Directories in Tools > Options has been deprecated ... Click '?' for more information."

I click. Takes me to MSDN page on VC++ Directories.

To access this dialog box
1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. Expand the Projects and Solutions node.
3. Select the VC++ Directories page.

Listen Microsoft: fuck you and your mother.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:23 am UTC

In a similar vein, trying to set up the software for a new gizmo.

1. Switch the device on, and click next. (I click next)
2. Plug the device in to your computer using the supplied USB cable (I plug it in and click next)
3. Device not found, please switch the device off and on again and try again. (I switch it off and on again)
4. Switch the device on, and click next. (I click next)
5. Plug the device in to your computer using the supplied USB cable (I plug it in and click next)
6. Device not found, please switch the device off and on again and try again. (I switch it off and on again)
7. Switch the device on, and click next. (I click next)
8. Plug the device in to your computer using the supplied USB cable (I plug it in and click next)
9. Device not found, please switch the device off and on again and try again. (I switch it off and on again)
10. Switch the device on, and click next. (I click next)
11. Plug the device in to your computer using the supplied USB cable (I plug it in and click next)
12. Device not found, please switch the device off and on again and try again. (I switch it off and on again)
13. etc.

:evil:
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:52 am UTC

Dear personal biology,

You know what's not fun? DKA. You know what's also not fun? DKA with proper numbers. You know what's even more not fun? DKA with proper numbers with a head ache that's been taking its sweet time over the past few days to become a full blown migraine. You know what's even less fun than that? DKA with proper numbers with a head ache that's been taking its sweet time over the past few days to become a full blown migraine and not responding properly to medication.

You're not being cool. Fix ASAP.

No love,
Mocha
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:24 pm UTC

How fucking long does it take to send a goddamn e-mail? It'll be a week tomorrow since I asked for a counselling appointment and it not only pisses me off that you couldn't just look up free slots there and then, but you also insisted that you would e-mail me as soon as I had an appointment confirmed. It's been six fucking days! You should know when you can give me an appointment by now!
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

roband

Postby roband » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:43 pm UTC

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

I fucking hate people who do shit jobs then sit back and let me clean up the steaming piles of wank that follow.
I am angry.

Kang

Postby Kang » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

Rant: first I finish my diploma thesis, then I submit it to the proper office despite a torn ligament in my ankle, then I sit back thinking: 'alright, that's done' and now it turns out nobody wants to or has time to read that damn thing. I'm just waiting for a call from administration that I failed because I couldn't find someone to evaluate it.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore. "And freezing."
"However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:57 pm UTC

Why are you lieing to me Windows 7? There is a disc in there, there's nothing wrong with it and YOU WILL burn this folder to it.

I installed you and I can delete you god dammit. Seriously, the one nag I have about W7 is its total unreliability to burn discs.

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:05 pm UTC

I feel like a workaround. GAH.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:In a similar vein, trying to set up the software for a new gizmo.

1. Switch the device on, and click next. (I click next)
2. Plug the device in to your computer using the supplied USB cable (I plug it in and click next)
3. Device not found, please switch the device off and on again and try again. (I switch it off and on again)
4. Switch the device on, and click next. (I click next)
5. Plug the device in to your computer using the supplied USB cable (I plug it in and click next)
6. Device not found, please switch the device off and on again and try again. (I switch it off and on again)
7. Switch the device on, and click next. (I click next)
8. Plug the device in to your computer using the supplied USB cable (I plug it in and click next)
9. Device not found, please switch the device off and on again and try again. (I switch it off and on again)
10. Switch the device on, and click next. (I click next)
11. Plug the device in to your computer using the supplied USB cable (I plug it in and click next)
12. Device not found, please switch the device off and on again and try again. (I switch it off and on again)
13. etc.

:evil:
Sometimes I feel like working with computers is like that old "how keep someone busy with a piece of paper" joke.

Also, I eventually found out how to set my directories, but this actually just brings up another rant at Microsoft:
DEVELOPER BLOGS ARE NOT DOCUMENTATION FUCKSCAPES!
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

Gahbady!! FgaaaahHHH!!

Bloody proxies, bloody youtube, bloody Carsey-Wenrer censoring things outside of the states. Bloody bloody bloody!
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:33 am UTC

I've played this stupid flash game several times before. Now it loads about 80% and then just stops. Yes, I've cleared the cache and all that. It still just doesn't work!
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:44 am UTC

My friend was bitching at me for bringing up politics and telling me he wishes I would stop. I tell him I will stop and that I thought it was cool to bring it up. My friend then bitches that I'm stopping and says I must be done mocking him. What the fucking fuck.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:18 am UTC

OBrien wrote:How fucking long does it take to send a goddamn e-mail? It'll be a week tomorrow since I asked for a counselling appointment and it not only pisses me off that you couldn't just look up free slots there and then, but you also insisted that you would e-mail me as soon as I had an appointment confirmed. It's been six fucking days! You should know when you can give me an appointment by now!

Part II: Aaargh! What the fuck? when you asked me "Would you like us to contact you via your university e-mail address or a private one?" and I say "Oh, definitely not my uni one: That address is so flooded with spam that it's impossible to find anything, here's my personal one." it does not mean "Yep, please use my uni address, I'm sure I'll definitely see it in my weekly effort to make some sense out of my inbox and not only find the e-mail when you send me a second one complaining that I wasn't at the meeting you e-mailed me the time for."
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:42 am UTC

broken_escalator wrote:My friend was bitching at me for bringing up politics and telling me he wishes I would stop. I tell him I will stop and that I thought it was cool to bring it up. My friend then bitches that I'm stopping and says I must be done mocking him. What the fucking fuck.

Fuck the fucking fucker. I say next time this happens, bring up the issue of his parents having rough sex.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:52 pm UTC

What a wonderful start to the day. An email from my boss bitching at me because of a scheduling issue, with a heavy implication that the job I do is not important.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:55 pm UTC

Why the fuck do I have to be tested on this stuff? I do it every goddamn day, I do it well, and there have never been any issues. Yet you've decided that I might get WORSE at this with practice and that I have to waste my time doing these bloody stupid tests. GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

Why must going for a walk in the park result in still struggling to use my hands an hour later. Fuck you circulatory system. Fuck you.
(On a lighter note, the park was lovely. I like parks.)
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

Stop judging me on my decision to conform to societies expectations. Yes, I spent a great deal of time flying my own plane, but I cannot afford to rock the boat at this time, and have made keeping waves to a minimum more important than my "individuality".

In short, because I know you can't handle the big words, FUCK OFF.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:38 pm UTC

ECU you have damn basketball game on saturday, can please run some fucking buses so I can get to it?!
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:18 pm UTC

yesterday made me feel happy. I was surrounded by good friends for over six hours, and then people I didn't know (but still pleasant people) for about three hours.

That was the only good thing that has happened this year.

And what happened now made that go away.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:05 am UTC

Dear BBC America,

You're an American network that plays British television shows. This is what you are. This is what you do. Don't fucking insult your viewership's collective intelligence by playing commercials for Law & Order: UK that assume that we don't know even a tiny bit about the differences between British and American vernaculars. Stop acting like it's the only genuinely British show on your network.

Thanks.

Giant Speck
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

emceng

Postby emceng » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

So I was playing a video game online with my sister and some random person. I was really enjoying it, we were talking over vent, just rolling along. Then "Holy fuck it's 1:30[PM]?" I'm late for work. I panic, run around trying to get ready, trying to get showered, thinking over and over - how did this happen? What can I tell my boss? Shit, he's been in a pissy mood lately, how bad is this going to be? Fuck, can I fake an illness? I would have still called in if I was sick though. Shit, shit, shit.

Then I woke up. What a wonderful way to start a weekend. Waking up pissed off, scared, and panicked.

Return to “General”