Things few people know about you

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Chandani

Re: Things few people know about you

Postby Chandani » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:59 am UTC

Odd_nonposter wrote:I say that my biggest dream is to be an biologist, but I'm not so certain about that.

Fixed that for myself.

darknut

Postby darknut » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:49 am UTC

when i was young i would often forget what i looked like because i rarely looked in the mirror
doesnt really happen any more, probly only cause i need to look in the mirror when shaving
but it does still happen occasionally, not for as long though
poxic wrote: Take a source of light and cook it up until it lases -- now you have a laser.

reflex

Postby reflex » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:41 am UTC

If I need to have an important conversation with someone, I have a habit of planning out exactly how I would like it to go. I spend ages twerking and perfecting the first thing I say to bring up the topic, making sure it's worded perfectly. Then I try to figure out how they will respond to what I say, to which I plan out a perfectly worded response. It can get rather long. After all that, most of the time either I just blurt out something else, or they say something I didn't predict, which turns the whole thing to shit.
Magnanimous wrote:It's more like a big blob of wibbley wobbley... timey wimey... stuff.

Oregonaut wrote:Sun eating thing. It eats sun. Its green by eating sun.

Oregonaut wrote:YOU! With the bear...

Malodine

Postby Malodine » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:15 am UTC

darknut wrote:when i was young i would often forget what i looked like because i rarely looked in the mirror
doesnt really happen any more, probly only cause i need to look in the mirror when shaving
but it does still happen occasionally, not for as long though

I have not looked in a mirror since the end of September.
Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:19 am UTC

Even though I'm straight, I like it when people mistake me for gay. I have no idea why.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:49 pm UTC

I'm diabetic, but I am honestly of the opinion that becoming diabetic saved my life.

I've inserted and IV in myself before (the nurse couldn't do it)

I'm considered "disabled" by the ADA many times over, and I think there are other undiagnosed problems that would "qualify" me again, but I don't want to go to a doctor and deal with all the testing and insurance crap.

I am incredibly shy, but I can fake confidence if I have to.

I've never dyed my hair or had any highlights, although I did have it chemically straightened once. It didn't work.

I almost never dream.

I flail when I'm tickled. People who are told this often don't believe it and then they try it, and they get kicked in the face.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Promicin

Postby Promicin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

I'll smell anything. Dead bugs, cat earwax, possibly-rotten food...

I've been bitten by a goose. It broke the skin and there was blood, but I was disappointed to not get any weird goose-disease or superpowers.

I'm smart. People have always told me that, and yet they're surprised when I start talking about String Theory and the LHC.

I play Neopets.

I have a near-eidetic memory. Do not lie about anything you said or did around me, as I will call you on it.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:53 pm UTC

I never seek power, but constantly get it. Whenever there is a group and no leader, I act like I would expect other people to (give people tasks, start discussions, etc.), and by the time I notice, I'm the de facto leader.
I find little kids fun
Also, people seem to be under the assumption that I'm some kind of super-genius. I'm not stupid, but by no means a genius.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:48 am UTC

I love having my hair played with.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Postby 123 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:39 am UTC

From being forced to listen to it at a young age when driving with my grandparents, I actually enjoy some 50's music. People wouldn't believe me if I told them.

reflex wrote:If I need to have an important conversation with someone, I have a habit of planning out exactly how I would like it to go. I spend ages twerking and perfecting the first thing I say to bring up the topic, making sure it's worded perfectly. Then I try to figure out how they will respond to what I say, to which I plan out a perfectly worded response. It can get rather long. After all that, most of the time either I just blurt out something else, or they say something I didn't predict, which turns the whole thing to shit.

Dude, I do the exact same thing, and it sucks when I think of something really good to say late at night, and then end up forgetting it, but remembering it was a good one.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that won't stop me from secretly hating you

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:09 am UTC

Sungura wrote:I love having my hair played with.

Same here. I thought I'd miss that with my log hair being cut but I can still get the same feeling with people playing with my mohawk, and it also feels nice to have people fiddling with the shaved bits and dreads.
But loads of people know that because I actively encourage it :D
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

...yeah... about that. I'm going to have to ask that you stop leaping out of bushes and screaming "Play with my hair! Play with it!" I mean, the first few times it was kinda cute, but it's gotten a little... annoying.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:40 pm UTC

Hey! I never did that!
... there's a difference between a shrub and a bush, you know.

ottifant

Postby ottifant » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:00 am UTC

Should i ever be able to (moneywise), i'd like to build my own House. From Wood, with my own hands, and in a really weird shape. Probably with a big geodesic dome in the middle with all kinds of towers, turrets and balconys attached to it. I stopped to tell people about it, except some really close friends, because most of them don't believe me anyway.

Promicin

Postby Promicin » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

I might seem like I'm thinking great thoughts when I sit there with a faraway look on my face, but it's usually just me listening to 80's hits in my head on loop.

I didn't talk for most of my childhood. I could, I just took "don't talk to strangers" seriously. I was probably 13 before people stopped assuming I was mute.

I pick up accents quickly. It's actually difficult for me to talk like myself after watching Primeval on BBC America for an hour.

I still can't hear Great Balls of Fire without wanting to cry.

DecemberSoul

Postby DecemberSoul » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:47 pm UTC

I think the smell of new car got associated with a bad memory from my childhood, that I can't remember, but ever since I was very young new car smell has filled me with dread. It's a pity, it's a pretty nice smell.

igepps

Postby igepps » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:00 pm UTC

I deeply enjoy listening to k-pop.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

I pretend my memory is far worse than it actually is. It's partly because I have a few friends that over-exaggerate stories and also partly because it's so much easier to be agreeable if everyone thinks I'm super forgetful.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:34 pm UTC

I, on the other hand, admit to "remembering" things (usually meeting people) when I see that someone is getting genuinley upset when I don't. I have an awful memory for people.

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:19 pm UTC

I honestly don't mind if I'm alone or with people. And often prefer being alone. People don't know this a nd some find it odd. Its been nice coming to the states for a semester because I'm not expected to have friends yet and have a ligitimate excuse for being alone.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:22 pm UTC

Chandani wrote:
Odd_nonposter wrote:I say that my biggest dream is to be a mathematician, but I'm not so certain about that.

Fixed that for myself.

I'd say people don't know that I'm worried about ever making it as an even average quality mathematician, and that I have pretty bad depression that I got rid of with medication and therapy. But I also believe that self-loathing and insecurity are common among the driven, twenty-something set. So I don't really think it would surprise anyone.

Let's seeeeeeeeeeeee. Where to begin.

I used to be part of the Otherkin community. For those that don't know, it's a group of people that believe they have the souls of mythical creatures. Yes, most of them are completely insane. I still interact with a lot of these people in the community.

I still retain a very strong interest in fringe/pagan religion and occult belief systems. Even though I'm an atheist now.

I have been a member of two different cults. One based online, another based in real life. What can I say, 25 year old burnouts can be very charismatic when you are fifteen. In one of the cults, the online based one, we were instructed to limit our exposure to sunlight. My subsequent attempts to take this tenet to its logical conclusion did not end well.

You are probably beginning to notice a pattern here right? Eventually I joined up with a group of skeptics, and we would go out and try to debunk hauntings. It was pretty fun. Then I got tired of that and settled down.

I have had sex multiple times, but I've never been in a relationship. I feel a litle used because of it. This surprises people because I am a boy, and boys are not supposed to feel that way apparently?
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Promicin

Postby Promicin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:40 pm UTC

I pretend to be dumber than I am because it makes people laugh.

I sometimes eat my own scabs.

I'm a little bit afraid of many things, but not terrified of anything, even spiders.

I love snakes and bugs just as much as I like ponies and glitter.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

Marbas wrote:I have had sex multiple times, but I've never been in a relationship. I feel a litle used because of it. This surprises people because I am a boy, and boys are not supposed to feel that way apparently?

Exact opposite but same reasoning. The only sexaual partners I've had have been people I care deeply about (barring my first and probably because of my first). I'm pretty tired of the whole discussion about it, which usually goes along the lines of:

"Hey, O'Brien, that girl really likes you, you might be in for a chance! Go for it!"
"Nah, I'm not like that."
"Not like what?"
"I don't really want to sleep with people unless I feel strongly attached to them. You know, like relationship-wise?"
"... Really?"
"Yeah."
"Huh, that's weird."

Really, is it really that weird?

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:
Marbas wrote:I have had sex multiple times, but I've never been in a relationship. I feel a litle used because of it. This surprises people because I am a boy, and boys are not supposed to feel that way apparently?

Exact opposite but same reasoning. The only sexaual partners I've had have been people I care deeply about (barring my first and probably because of my first).

Same kind of thing, but opposite reactions, because I'm a girl. The only people I've had sex with have been people I've been in relationships with. But I've told friends that I would be up for one night stands (if I was single), that doesn't bother me. I got told I clearly don't respect myself or my body enough.

Things many people know about me: Socially constructed gender roles piss me the fuck off.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

roband

Postby roband » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:35 pm UTC

Promicin wrote:I pretend to be dumber than I am because it makes people laugh.

I did that so much at school.

Not so much anymore, but every now and then I'll notice myself slip back into it.
Hey, if it gets the laugh, who cares? Right?

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:51 pm UTC

Apparently people don't get that I'm incredibly insecure and take (what I think is clearly) mock arrogance at face value and assume I'm really self assured.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:09 pm UTC

Hooray double standards and traditional gender roles! :evil:

(We need an emoticon where it's puking, because that's really what I wanted to put there)

Back on topic...

I can twist and bend my fingers so that it's rotated 90 degrees and then folded to make an upside-down U
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:48 pm UTC

Massaging my lower back or hips (like, in front, I guess more "between my hips" since no bones there) will put me to sleep in, sometimes, literally seconds. Never longer than a minute or two.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:Massaging my lower back or hips (like, in front, I guess more "between my hips" since no bones there) will put me to sleep in, sometimes, literally seconds. Never longer than a minute or two.

Are you a shark?

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:37 pm UTC

Not that I know of?

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:57 pm UTC

Those aren't bunnyears, they're sharkfins!
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:03 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Massaging my lower back or hips (like, in front, I guess more "between my hips" since no bones there) will put me to sleep in, sometimes, literally seconds. Never longer than a minute or two.

Lightly running a finger from between my eyebrows up to the start of the cartelige in my nose does this to me. My Mum used to do it when I had nightmares.

B.Good

Postby B.Good » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:22 am UTC

Marbas wrote:
Chandani wrote:
Odd_nonposter wrote:I say that my biggest dream is to be a mathematician, but I'm not so certain about that.

Fixed that for myself.

I'd say people don't know that I'm worried about ever making it as an even average quality mathematician, and that I have pretty bad depression that I got rid of with medication and therapy. But I also believe that self-loathing and insecurity are common among the driven, twenty-something set. So I don't really think it would surprise anyone.

I know how you feel, I feel almost exactly the same way (if you care to see my post in this thread). Although people say I'm good at math or say "I'm so smart" after hearing how many math classes I've taken (the truth is, I had the time to take classes), which I'm sure people do the same for you (I remember your thread about measure theory. I can't imagine a third year taking a graduate level course not getting the same comments/compliments) I have serious doubts about being a mathematician. I'm almost certain it's what I want to do but the question is, will I be any good at it? Granted, I'm a first year undergraduate so I have ways to go, hell you still have a very long way to go before we can say we are even remotely close to be able to call ourselves professional mathematicians.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:41 am UTC

When my mom was still pregnant with me, she (and to an extent, I) was saved by a ghost.

OK who's next?
PRG

An important message for you:

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:51 am UTC

B.Good wrote:
Marbas wrote:
Chandani wrote:

Fixed that for myself.

I know how you feel, I feel almost exactly the same way (if you care to see my post in this thread). Although people say I'm good at math or say "I'm so smart" after hearing how many math classes I've taken (the truth is, I had the time to take classes), which I'm sure people do the same for you (I remember your thread about measure theory. I can't imagine a third year taking a graduate level course not getting the same comments/compliments)

:oops:

There are indeed comments and compliments.

I have serious doubts about being a mathematician. I'm almost certain it's what I want to do but the question is, will I be any good at it? Granted, I'm a first year undergraduate so I have ways to go, hell you still have a very long way to go before we can say we are even remotely close to be able to call ourselves professional mathematicians.

We certainly do! Honestly, I think that self-doubt is essential to healthy mathematical development, so to speak. I've always felt that mathematics is not just a field of study, but it is also a skill. And that that cycling between self-doubt and those giddy "I can do this/did it!" moments is what really drives us to become better at our craft.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

saus

Postby saus » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:15 am UTC

I'm more depressed than anyone thinks. Just having a conversation with a crush dwarfs the feelings I get doing anything or being anywhere. In a way I'm just passing the time until it happens again. But I know a crush isn't logical so I try to stop it so I don't do anything drastic or stupid or get hurt as badly. Watching the Penny Arcade reality show episode about PAX made me feel so lonely among my group of friends. To this day, even as a socially experienced college student, I feel like my escape into my favorite games like chrono trigger and earthbound in middle school is at the absolute core of my being, and nothing can change that, and I can only be truly comfortable with someone who understands that. I hate going to sleep but I also hate waking up. If there was a way to fall asleep and dream until I die I would consider it.

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:41 am UTC

I'm not nearly as smart as I seem, and I'm not sure I seem that smart at all.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

Promicin

Postby Promicin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

I think in a Brittish accent sometimes.

I believe I worked in a hospital in a past life, and my name may have been Lydia.

I'm a vegetarian.

I've cuddled a python.

I memorize lists of things by singing them. Aloud. In public. (And then people stare at me, and I look at them like, "Why, yes, I was just reciting the constellations to the tune of a Herman's Hermits song. Why?")

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:38 pm UTC

Promicin wrote:I memorize lists of things by singing them. Aloud. In public. (And then people stare at me, and I look at them like, "Why, yes, I was just reciting the constellations to the tune of a Herman's Hermits song. Why?")

That's actually something I'd like to hear :)
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:47 pm UTC

Promicin wrote:I memorize lists of things by singing them. Aloud. In public. (And then people stare at me, and I look at them like, "Why, yes, I was just reciting the constellations to the tune of a Herman's Hermits song. Why?")

Remembering things in a song is so much easier than just remembering things.
I still remember all the colours of Joseph's Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat.
I wasn't even one of the singers...
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Return to “General”