Coding Idea From An xkcd Comic

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Iankap99

Coding Idea From An xkcd Comic

Postby Iankap99 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 am UTC

So Here's My Story:

I am a competent coder, very proficient in Java. I am trying to take an AP Java class at my high school, but the teacher is very resistant to me taking it because I have not taken the prerequisite. The pre-rec is a joke and I am much more competent than everyone who i have talked to who is in the class.

Here's the twist, the teacher of the class is a big xkcd fan, he loves it, so what program can I make to show him that references the comic? I'd love to hear your ideas and you'd really be helping out a high school coder.

EDIT:To be a little clearer, something that's not too hard but is a clear reference to something mentioned in xkcd.

ottifant

Re: Coding Idea From An xkcd Comic

Postby ottifant » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:07 am UTC

mayby you could do a program that calculates the map of tic-tac-toe-moves. ( http://xkcd.com/832/ )
I'd think that's not too hard to do, and he should remember the particular comic...

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:46 pm UTC

What is it with CS and prerequisites? I had to refer to a C compiler* I have written to get them to accept that maybe I understood C at the level of their introductory class.

* bastardized version of the language for a base 3 computer.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:11 pm UTC

"Build a" seems like a good idea. For harder than tic-tac-toe, you could build a map of the IPv4 internet. ;)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:10 am UTC

My first thought was of a program that jiggled the mouse pointer every five minutes in linux but that may not be easy to do in java...

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:24 pm UTC

I like the idea of the tic-tac-toe map, but what does the teacher say? If you are indeed a very competent coder, you must already have loads of other programs lying around to show to him. If that has not convinced him, some new program is not going to change his mind.

Try to find out why he wants you to do the pre-req. Is there theory and terminology (however simple) in it? Is he bound by school regulations? have you been a smart-ass? Talk to him, explain your position, and ask respectfully if there is an alternative way how you can show that have the required skills. Perhaps that alternative way is writing a new program, but it might be something else. Perhaps you can do the final test of the pre-req class?

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:14 am UTC

quintopia wrote:My first thought was of a program that jiggled the mouse pointer every five minutes in linux but that may not be easy to do in java...

It takes 6 lines, tops. The "Robot" class is very handy. :)
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

sonickrahnic

Postby sonickrahnic » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:49 am UTC

Its not Java, but a fan (and coder) might appreciate the xkcd easter egg in Python (import antigravity). http://xkcd.com/353/ Just a thought.
WSNBM/ONBP

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

Just include getRandomNumber() in your code somewhere. :P
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

kmatzen

Postby kmatzen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:09 pm UTC

You could take the exam in May and just forgo the entire course if you are already competent. It looks like the AB exam was discontinued? The A material isn't very difficult at all and if you know the Java language and simple data structures, then you will get by fine. You could take the time to study something more difficult. The only risk is the registration fee.

Return to “Coding”