Describe What You Do

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mauthe Dhoo

Re: Describe What You Do

Postby Mauthe Dhoo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:05 am UTC

(For a campus job) I read and revise essays for classes I've never taken.

I also run around a 4th grade classroom trying to convince school children to pretend to be wizards and superheroes, then I go home and try to come up with a way that makes them smarter.

Later in the spring, people will pay me to walk their dogs, which means I'll more or less be paid to be happy.

iChef

Postby iChef » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:43 am UTC

I pay people to pillage the oceans of species that needs to be protected way more than anyone will ever tell you about. Wastefully prepare them and sling 'em on plates to yuppies who don't appreciate what they're eating because it's too coated in mayonnaise, breading and corn syrup. (for the love of God if you find yourself walking into the doors of a corporate owned food establishment turn and run like hell, I don't care how high end or trendy they seem or how much they charge run and never come back). I also consult for a locally owned Italian place that does it right and I am much happier working for, but that doesn't pay the bills, or give me health coverage.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

None of this earns me money, but:

I process information in order to achieve checkpoints which in turn will lead to more information and more checkpoints to achieve.

I play pretend and then tell people to do things with it, and run between places carrying stuff and information.

I make bad jokes and talk about news, being interrupted by music every now and then.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:25 am UTC

I go to different cities and companies and tell them how to run their IT departments.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:26 am UTC

I usually tell people that I build the Internet, but that's a bit misleading because I do not lay long-haul fiber nor am I a content developer. I do network architecture and design for a nationwide US cableco, mostly at layers 2 and 3. Currently that means a lot of work with iBGP, MPLS, and IPv6.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

cjdrum

Postby cjdrum » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:36 am UTC

fizzgig wrote:I work for the Australian version of social security, which is called Centrelink. So when people ask me I just tell them I live off Centrelink money.

I find this as win, living in Australia myself.

What I do? I move from room to room in a few linked buildings, where people give me work based off of their strong points. I stay in each room for a little over half an hour, then move to the next. Repeat. Problem: I don't get paid.

Wait. That doesn't make it sound any more interesting.

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.

(I stock overnight at Wal-Mart)

Triggering language. -lanicita

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:47 am UTC

I had a co-worker tell me that if anyone asked me what I did for a living, I had to say I was a professional burger-spitter.

So, i am a professional, part-time burger-spitter.

(I work at McDonald's. I don't actually spit in burgers. That would be gross.)
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:14 pm UTC

I'm kinda like a plumber who has to keep some people from taking showers.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:15 pm UTC

I do complicated engineering stuff, and by that I mean I try and do as little work as possible and surf the internet.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:22 pm UTC

I spend most of my life pressing buttons to make the pattern of lights change however I want.

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:38 am UTC

my titles: Undergraduate Research Assistant and Chemistry/Biology/Mathematics Tutor.

In reality: slave to the heap of dirty glassware in the university stockroom, the breaker of beakers, test tubes, and funnels, cleaner of disgusting messes, and in general swearer at things that don't function properly.

explainer of chemical, mathematical, and biological processes to people who need assistance.

welcome to what I get paid to do.
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

CHR1110

Postby CHR1110 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:39 am UTC

I take people's crap all day.

No, literally, I work as a donations attendant at Goodwill.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:47 am UTC

Study, do Homework, read, use the internet too Goddamn much. The usual, I guess.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Retne

Postby Retne » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:40 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:I spend most of my life pressing buttons to make the pattern of lights change however I want.

Do you run an actual board or are you an editor?(I'm guessing you work in TV/Movies)

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:54 am UTC

Retne wrote:
Menacing Spike wrote:I spend most of my life pressing buttons to make the pattern of lights change however I want.

Do you run an actual board or are you an editor?(I'm guessing you work in TV/Movies)

No, programming.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:46 am UTC

I work out ways to help us not have to ask so many people so many questions.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

JamesP

Postby JamesP » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:34 am UTC

I don't need to make it funny or extra cool.

Guy: What do you do?
Me:I'm a sound engineer and composer
Guy: So you get to play music all day?
Me: No
Guy: So what do you do?
Me: Listen to music, click record and play with sliders that don't do as much as the players think, but if they knew that they wouldn't give me £300 a day.
Guy: ......Huh, so what do you compose for?
Me: Video games.
Guy: Oh fuck off.

MrJ

Postby MrJ » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:47 am UTC

I program graphical displays for experimental aircraft. I also break things and maintain computers. Sometimes I fix other people's problems.

Return to “General”