Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Rant powwow (because we need more ranting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:40 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:God damn undergrads. Thor could be a sign. "Quiet, Graduate Students Talking." Seriously, if I hear half-two more wicked insightful, pissant and highly inaccurate textual analysis I may be forced to liquidate people.
I would love a sign like this in the lab. I don't care how awesome your WoW character is or how much you love anime, or that you think we should be using blender instead of Maya. Shut the fuck up.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Rant powwow (because we need more ranting)

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:23 am UTC

Don't graduate students get their own common room?

Damn you for making me ruin my perfect 5000 post count.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Rant powwow (because we need more ranting)

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:33 am UTC

Sadly no. I think they tried it a couple times, but it lasted all of about two days before it became an open lab. And it also doesn't open until about 4 in the afternoon. The other one is basically a closet with a couple computers and piles of cardboard and scrap metal. And a disgusting mini-fridge.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Rant powwow (because we need more ranting)

Postby emceng » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:26 pm UTC

Monday apparently was the 'good' day this week. It was the only day we didn't have something in the lab break or go out of service. I now have $180k worth of paperweights needing repair.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
nehpest
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

Re: Rant powwow (because we need more ranting)

Postby nehpest » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:28 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Monday apparently were the 'good' day this week. It were the only day we didn't have something in the lab POWERSLIDE or go out o' service. I now have $180k worth o' paperweights needing repair.


Solution: Emceng's Paperweight Emporium.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

User avatar
RetSpline
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:38 pm UTC
Location: Íæû

Re: Rant powwow (because we need more ranting)

Postby RetSpline » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:22 pm UTC

So, Friend, new* rule: when you and your current significant other are hanging out together, either don't invite me or invite more people in addition to me. I don't want to be Steve. If the two of you absolutely value my companionship that much, maybe you could act as two discrete entities for, like, an hour? You aren't being subtle. At all. Now, are we going to play Carcassonne, or am I just going to have to watch the two of you dry hump on the couch? Because you should know I'm not really into that.


*Actually, I'm pretty sure I've brought this up before. Like after that time you and he and I ended up in that guy's hot tub together. That was a pretty fucking weird night.


pre-edit: Wordfilters, of course, make a mockery out of this post.

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Rant powwow (because we need more ranting)

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

Are they inviting you to spectate their threesome or something?

Silastic
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:45 am UTC

Re: Rant powwow (because we need more ranting)

Postby Silastic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:31 pm UTC

The steve song was awesome. Next time just ask to join the dry humping, and problem solved

..... unless they say yes....
Last edited by Silastic on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nehpest
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

Re: Rant powwow (because we need more ranting)

Postby nehpest » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:33 pm UTC

Silastic wrote:..... unless they say yes....


Depending on the friend[s], this could still be a valid solution; just sayin'.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant powwow (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

I recommend jumping in with an elbow drop from the top of the couch.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
RetSpline
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:38 pm UTC
Location: Íæû

Re: Rant powwow (because we need more ranting)

Postby RetSpline » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:49 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Are they inviting you to spectate Thor threesome or something?
Nah, it's just like, "Hey come over, we'll play some board games."
"Oh okay cool you have Carcossonne, I haven't played this in forever."
"Mmmph ah hmph..."
"Uh, you guys..."

It's maybe not as bad as I'm making it sound? They're not being pornographic or anything, just rude in my opinion :| Also it's a twosome, but 2 wordfilters to 3. And it's non-wet humping, (and honestly less humping and more sloppy makeouts and incidental touching) but... you get the picture

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26516
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Rant powwow (because we need more ranting)

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:52 pm UTC

Yeah, that's not company behavior.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Ashlah
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Re: Rant powwow (because we need more ranting)

Postby Ashlah » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:00 pm UTC

They need to be able to control themselves in front of company. It's very rude.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant powwow (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:02 pm UTC

Elbow. Top of the couch. Shouting "WANSUI!"
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Amarantha
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Amarantha » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:30 am UTC

Amarantha hates:
* people
* shopping
* fashion
* gender roles
* neurotypical social expectations
* the fact that I keep coming in here to rant about the same damn things, because my society still doesn't give a shit about women or autism
* the fact that I find myself posting less and less in general, for a variety of reasons, as though my antisocial arse needs less human contact (must. force. self. to click Submit instead of Cancel)
* the arsehole on the escalator today, who stepped from side to side to deliberately block my path before saying, "Do you want to say 'Excuse me', or do you just want to barge on through?"
* management fail

*clicks Submit*

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Obby » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:25 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:* the arsehole on the escalator today, who stepped from side to side to deliberately block my path before saying, "Do you want to say 'Excuse me', or do you just want to barge on through?"


"Do you want to stop being a self-righteous dickhole, or do you just want to keep me from doing my job and firing you?"

He doesn't have to know whether or not you can actually fire him.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.
Posts: 2041
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:18 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Deva » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:06 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:the fact that I find myself posting less and less in general, for a variety o' reasons, as though my antisocial arse needs less human contact (must. force. self. to click Submit instead o' Cancel)

Could set up a random reward system. Made a post today? Roll a die. If even, cookie! If odd, nothing. Can do no worse than associating us with cookies.
Amarantha wrote:the arsehole on the escalator today, who stepped from side to side to deliberately block my path before saying, "Do you want to say 'Excuse me', or do you just want to barge on through?"

"Apologies. Did not realize your ego took up the entire escalator. Excuse me."
Changes its form depending on the observer.

User avatar
viscusanima
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:39 am UTC
Location: Cyprus!

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby viscusanima » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:23 pm UTC

Deva wrote:
Amarantha wrote:the fact that I find myſelf posting less and less in general, for a variety o' reasons, as though my antisocial arse needs less human contact (must. force. self. to click Submit instead o' Cancel)

Could set up a random reward system. Made a poſt today? Roll a die. If even, cookie! If odd, nothing. Can do no worse then associating us with cookies.


What if he's lactose intolerant and the cookies are milk chocolate?

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Whelan » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

Then new cookies are in order.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.
Posts: 2041
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:18 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Deva » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

viscusanima wrote:What if he's lactose intolerant and the cookies are milk chocolate?

Can curse life like I do. Or wonder why there are such cookies on the premises. Or use some supplements to aid in lactose digestion (mileage may vary).
Changes its form depending on the observer.

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:12 pm UTC

viscusanima wrote:
Deva wrote:
Amarantha wrote:the fact that I find myſelf posting less and less in general, for a variety o' reasons, as though my antisocial arse needs less human contact (must. force. self. to click Submit instead o' Cancel)

Could set up a random reward system. Made a poſt today? Roll a die. If even, cookie! If odd, nothing. Can do no worse then associating us with cookies.


What if he's lactose intolerant and the cookies are milk chocolate?

Believe it or not, chocolate aids in the digestion of lactose. My parents learned this when I was little and had extreme lactose sensitivity issues (i.e. projectile vomit any time I drank milk).
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

I have something in my eye and it won't go away.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
Ptolom
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 pm UTC
Location: The entropy pool
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Ptolom » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:* the arsehole on the escalator today, who stepped from side to side to deliberately block my path before saying, "Do you want to say 'Excuse me', or do you just want to barge on through?"
*clicks Submit*

I believe the correct response to that is a wordless, emphatic barging.

Silastic
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:45 am UTC

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Silastic » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:59 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:I believe the correct response to that is a wordless, emphatic barging.

I second this

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

Silastic wrote:
Ptolom wrote:I believe the correct response to that is a wordless, emphatic barging.

I second this

Thirded.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Torvaun » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

Fourth'd.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

123
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:30 am UTC
Location: Good question

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby 123 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:21 am UTC

Only problem is, then you're stuck in an elevator with someone you just barged right in through...
...But totally worth it.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that won't stop me from secretly hating you

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4003
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:39 am UTC

That'd be true if an elevator and an escalator were the same thing.
Ⓞⓞ◯

123
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:30 am UTC
Location: Good question

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby 123 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:31 am UTC

Damn...This is more embarrassing since I'm not dyslexic. Oh well, thanks for pointing that out. At least now I know I'm an idiot.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that won't stop me from secretly hating you

User avatar
TheStrongest
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia, USA
Contact:

Re: Rant powwow (because we need more ranting)

Postby TheStrongest » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:39 am UTC

Whelan wrote:I was six months too young for the general election.
I will be starting Uni in about 6 months.
I really should accept my offer tonight.


I feel for you. Unfortunately, I miss the cutoff date for voting in my state's presidential primary in 2012. Fortunately though, I am old enough to vote in the general election in November.

Magnanimous wrote:Man, AP tests suck. I know a few people who didn't want to take an exam because the score wouldn't mean anything at their college (which is what you're going through?) but they still had to sit for the exam to make our high school look good.


The Catholic diocese which I attend school in mandates that in all of its 15 high schools, every person in every AP class must take the exam. If you don't; you fail. That's 90 bucks down the drain right there. :x

The subject of my rant?: Charlie Sheen. I'm sick of his face being plastered on TV for stupid shit.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7572
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Rant powwow (because we need more ranting)

Postby phlip » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:54 am UTC

TheStrongest wrote:The subject of my rant?: Charlie Sheen. I'm sick of his face being plastered on TV for stupid shit.

Once again, The Onion reveals it lives in a better world than the rest of us.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:31 am UTC

THINGS THAT BOTHER ME:

Self-righteous teenagers who think they know everything, giving us teenagers who at least try (but often fail) to show humility a bad name.
The willfully ignorant in general.
People who hold contradictory ideas in their heads and refuse to recognize said contradiction.
Liars. Even the white ones.
People who intentionally commit small but unethical acts.
Sociopaths who enjoy the pain of others (e.g. griefers on minecraft).
Microsoft Windows.
Visual Studio
C#
Microsoft, just microsoft.
Unethical or idiotic actions made by people or organizations I otherwise support.
People who make unsubstantiated claims, then expect me to refute them.
Stephanie Meyer.
People who incorrectly think they're funny due to the fact that their audience incorrectly thinks they're funny.
Poor tech support.
Music made without any regard to the pleasure of the listener (see: Black Eyed Peas, Lil Wayne, anything my sister listens to.)
Reality TV Shows.
People who watch reality TV shows.
Science fiction that deviates from commonly accepted sci-fi rules regarding suspension of disbelief. Matter creation, although basically impossible, is okay. Psychic powers are not. (looking at you, betazoids and Jedi).
Businesses that take advantage of willful ignorance (see: anything New Age). I think the willfully ignorant deserve what they get, but people shouldn't make a living giving it to them.
Book stores that file fiction under the "New Age" heading.
Items whose retail price is significantly larger than their manufacturing price.
Legos that won't come apart.
Projections that magnify Greenland, or minimize it too much.
People who equate lack of gullibility with closed-mindedness.
People who think conformity is awesome.
People who think non-comformity is awesome.
First year philosophy students who immediately believe every philosophy they come across.
People who criticize others, despite not having the experience to actually judge their work. (e.g. people complaining about the "laziness" of game developers).
Generic email replies from companies.
Arbitrary social nicities.
Mars. I don't know why we're still looking at it.
People who hold any ethical axioms other than "human suffering is bad, conversely human happiness is good" and "fairness is good."
Pennies. What's the point, really?
Politicians who value taking the party line more than fixing problems. I.e., all politicians.
Quiet people who feel unable to express their opinions.
Beautiful women who refuse to talk to me. (I'm just kidding, these don't exist).
Stories or anecdotes that lack a point. My 4th grade teacher told us a story about his friend telling a story that had no point. I forget who my teacher's story went, but his friend ended up with two broken ribs.
People who refuse to housebreak their dogs.
Babies.
People who judge others by arbitrary factors.
The emotionally and physically abusive, especially to people I love.
Those who maintain that 9/11 was caused by the Jews: my dad was a few blocks away, why didn't the World Domination Zionist Committee send him a warning?
Internet pirates who think it's okay to steal if the vendor is a dick.
Cereal that lacks sugar.
Puberty.
America's obsession with non-football sports, and the rest of the world's obsession with football.
Sleep apnea.
The need to roll over when falling asleep.
That itchy feeling you get after a haircut.
School medication policies.
That chunk of fat that always comes with sirloin, and that I'm sure restaurants count as part of the cut's weight.
Mod wordfilters.
DirectX and other OS-specific API's and languages. But particularly DirectX.
People who put two spaces after the ends of sentences.
Back pain.
Driving. Actually, cars in general.
When you accidentally press command-q instead of command-w.
W.
People who set their clocks n minutes too fast, thinking that they won't get used to it and that others don't find it annoying.
Rooms that I'd rather not be in that lack clocks indicating when I get the hell out. (This desire is due to high school.)
Board games with missing pieces.
Lego sets without any spares.
Lego rip-offs: mega-blocks do not stick together at all.
Commonly held misconceptions.
A lack of wireless coverage as extensive as cellphone coverage.
AT&T cellphone coverage.
Objective-C. Not just because it's OS-specific, but also because it's weird and accomplishes nothing.
Insomnia.
When there is no food in the house and it's too late to get any.
Weeks of nothing but fast-food.
The HOA.
Itchiness.
Allergies and illness in general.
The fact that I was often forced to take notes in class.
Schools grading not just on knowledge and understanding of a subject, but also on study habits (e.g. doing homework, taking notes, etc.)
Monitors lacking HDMI ports.
The fact that USB doesn't support NKRO.
N-day shipping that doesn't arrive until 1.5N days after it is ordered.
Doors that are too heavy to open.
People who value cultural and racial tolerance over logic and morals.
The phrase "everything happens for a reason." (Looking at you, Bieber).
Justin Bieber.
The growing of hair and nails.
The need to go to the bathroom.
Interruptions of tasks in general.
People who dislike House / Inception because it's too predictable. There is a difference between formulaicism and predictability.
Those who maintain that, because induction can never absolute and 100% prove anything, there's no point in developing theories.
Foot odor.
Socks. They're a pain in the ass to put on.
Public bathrooms.
Unnecessary security measures.
Bureaucracy.
People who hold extreme and absolutist opinions.
Sleep.
Human memory: it's based on linkage, and it's not random access.
Teachers and instructors who unnecessarily repeat themselves.
XKCD made Slightly Worses that actually make XKCD slightly worse.
The imperial system of measurement.
The TSA.
People who make the TSA necessary (albeit not really in its current form).
Kid's books and TV shows that excessively patronize children.
Dirt that accumulates on keyboards and mice.
The fact that, to turn off a defective house alarm, I had to cut the wires to the battery.
The insistence that natural = good.
Zoos. They require too much walking.
Exercise: it's very painful.
BASIC. Where are my curly brackets and other symbols?
IDE's that don't automatically indent code.
People who don't respond to IM's and texts.
BBCode: what's wrong with HTML?
Defective mail-order products. This needs to be stressed. It's like the 1.5N day shipping, but with crushed hope.
Lateness.
Those who refuse to even listen to a suggestion or argument.
The suggestion that I should shower more often.
Garbage, and the poor system implemented in place to deal with it. (I should not have to carry garbage bags around: toilets don't require that kind of thing. We need better waste disposal.)
Those who expect absurd payment, or demand absurd discounts.
Anecdotes offered as evidence.
Flaws in my own arguments. They're embarrassing and serve to invalidate what I've said.
Chris Taub: you do not get to cheat on your wife and then whine about your relationship with her.
Twin sized beds: I can't roll over in a bed three feet wide.
The occasional unfunny Monty Python skits.
The odd societal relationship to genitalia: either they're gross or sexy. Pick one.
The degradation in the quality of starter Pokemon.
Tachyon rays used as a plot device.
Blatantly obvious foreshadowing.
Comics Sans and Papyrus.
People who let their emotions interfere with their logic and their interactions with others.
Taikwando: it's a sport, not a martial art. A black belt in 2 years, are you kidding me?
Overly-optimistic and arrogant indie game developers.
Those that get offended when people correct them.
Refusal to admit that one is wrong.
Motherboards specifically designed such that it's nearly impossible to hook up SATA cables.
Dandruff.
Things that are impossible to undo.
Song covers.
Binders that fall apart after one year of use.
Unsubstantiated or intentionally misleading advertising.
Heartburn.
The fact that people have arbitrarily decided that it's no longer reasonable to call the mentally challenged "retards".
Those who temporarily alter their tastes to appease their significant other.
Confident predictions of the future.
A lack of consensus on issues that should seem objective.
Forum posts that are too long.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
Amarantha
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Amarantha » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:50 am UTC

Ptolom wrote:
Amarantha wrote:* the arsehole on the escalator today, who stepped from side to side to deliberately block my path before saying, "Do you want to say 'Excuse me', or do you just want to barge on through?"
I believe the correct response to that is a wordless, emphatic barging.
Ya, that's totally the response I went with. (Not planned; I was actually kinda speechless).

Also totally considering cookie idea from Deva :P

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:03 am UTC

I am going put a rant in your rant, so I can rant while you rant.

sourmìlk wrote:Liars. Even the white ones.

Isn't happiness more important than principles?

People who make unsubstantiated claims, then expect me to refute them.

Dude, you can just point out their claims are unsubstantiated. If that doesn't work, go away, you are wasting your time.

Poor tech support.

Actually competent people are usually elsewhere than tech support. People could also learn to fucking google.

Music made without any regard to the pleasure of the listener (see: Black Eyed Peas, Lil Wayne, anything my sister listens to.)

If they listen to it, they may just maybe have different tastes than you, no?

Science fiction that deviates from commonly accepted sci-fi rules regarding suspension of disbelief. Matter creation, although basically impossible, is okay. Psychic powers are not. (looking at you, betazoids and Jedi).

Why must SF be tailored to YOUR suspension of disbelief? SF is far vaster than you seem to think, too; just read some Asimov or something.

Businesses that take advantage of willful ignorance (see: anything New Age). I think the willfully ignorant deserve what they get, but people shouldn't make a living giving it to them.

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.

Items whose retail price is significantly larger than their manufacturing price.

Hello, manufacturing is not the only cost!

First year philosophy students who immediately believe every philosophy they come across.

You don't exist. Your argument is irrelevant.



Mars. I don't know why we're still looking at it.

Uuuuh, terraformation?

People who hold any ethical axioms other than "human suffering is bad, conversely human happiness is good" and "fairness is good."

You have contradictory beliefs then my good man. Lack of fairness can bring happiness, suffering to a few can bring happiness to more, etc.

Pennies. What's the point, really?

Poor people actually use them, you know.

Stories or anecdotes that lack a point. My 4th grade teacher told us a story about his friend telling a story that had no point. I forget who my teacher's story went, but his friend ended up with two broken ribs.

So this guy on the rant thread told a story about his teacher telling a story about his friend telling a story that had no point. He forgot how it went.

People who judge others by arbitrary factors.

So your factors are "fair"?

The fact that I was often forced to take notes in class.

It's there to train the way you acquire information.

Schools grading not just on knowledge and understanding of a subject, but also on study habits (e.g. doing homework, taking notes, etc.)

See above. School are not about teaching knowledge, my good dude. Of course, with long studies they sorta are.

Socks. They're a pain in the ass to put on.

If your ass hurts when you put in a sock, ur doin it wrong.

Unnecessary security measures.

But they calm the ignorant. What about human happiness?

The suggestion that I should shower more often.

Smelling bad is a lack of respect for others. Human happiness, fairness you said?

Anecdotes offered as evidence.

My sister told me an anecdote once, and it was true.

The degradation in the quality of starter Pokemon.

Come on, take a look a bulbasaur; can you take it seriously? And later on, flaming kungfu chicken.

Forum posts that are too long.

As long as there is no redundancy or drivel, where is the problem?

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:48 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:THINGS THAT BOTHER ME:

Self-righteous teenagers who think they know everything, giving us teenagers who at least try (but often fail) to show humility a bad name.


Agreed.

The willfully ignorant in general.
People who hold contradictory ideas in their heads and refuse to recognize said contradiction.
Liars. Even the white ones.
People who intentionally commit small but unethical acts.
Sociopaths who enjoy the pain of others (e.g. griefers on minecraft).
Microsoft Windows.
Visual Studio
C#
Microsoft, just microsoft.
Unethical or idiotic actions made by people or organizations I otherwise support.
People who make unsubstantiated claims, then expect me to refute them.
Stephanie Meyer.
People who incorrectly think they're funny due to the fact that their audience incorrectly thinks they're funny.
Poor tech support.
Music made without any regard to the pleasure of the listener (see: Black Eyed Peas, Lil Wayne, anything my sister listens to.)
Reality TV Shows.
People who watch reality TV shows.
Science fiction that deviates from commonly accepted sci-fi rules regarding suspension of disbelief. Matter creation, although basically impossible, is okay. Psychic powers are not. (looking at you, betazoids and Jedi).
Businesses that take advantage of willful ignorance (see: anything New Age). I think the willfully ignorant deserve what they get, but people shouldn't make a living giving it to them.
Book stores that file fiction under the "New Age" heading.
Items whose retail price is significantly larger than their manufacturing price.
Legos that won't come apart.
Projections that magnify Greenland, or minimize it too much.
People who equate lack of gullibility with closed-mindedness.
People who think conformity is awesome.
People who think non-comformity is awesome.
First year philosophy students who immediately believe every philosophy they come across.
People who criticize others, despite not having the experience to actually judge their work. (e.g. people complaining about the "laziness" of game developers).
Generic email replies from companies.
Arbitrary social nicities.
Mars. I don't know why we're still looking at it.
People who hold any ethical axioms other than "human suffering is bad, conversely human happiness is good" and "fairness is good."
Pennies. What's the point, really?
Politicians who value taking the party line more than fixing problems. I.e., all politicians.
Quiet people who feel unable to express their opinions.
Beautiful women who refuse to talk to me. (I'm just kidding, these don't exist).
Stories or anecdotes that lack a point. My 4th grade teacher told us a story about his friend telling a story that had no point. I forget who my teacher's story went, but his friend ended up with two broken ribs.
People who refuse to housebreak their dogs.
Babies.
People who judge others by arbitrary factors.
The emotionally and physically abusive, especially to people I love.
Those who maintain that 9/11 was caused by the Jews: my dad was a few blocks away, why didn't the World Domination Zionist Committee send him a warning?
Internet pirates who think it's okay to steal if the vendor is a dick.
Cereal that lacks sugar.
Puberty.
America's obsession with non-football sports, and the rest of the world's obsession with football.
Sleep apnea.
The need to roll over when falling asleep.
That itchy feeling you get after a haircut.
School medication policies.
That chunk of fat that always comes with sirloin, and that I'm sure restaurants count as part of the cut's weight.
Mod wordfilters.
DirectX and other OS-specific API's and languages. But particularly DirectX.
People who put two spaces after the ends of sentences.
Back pain.
Driving. Actually, cars in general.
When you accidentally press command-q instead of command-w.
W.
People who set their clocks n minutes too fast, thinking that they won't get used to it and that others don't find it annoying.
Rooms that I'd rather not be in that lack clocks indicating when I get the hell out. (This desire is due to high school.)
Board games with missing pieces.
Lego sets without any spares.
Lego rip-offs: mega-blocks do not stick together at all.
Commonly held misconceptions.
A lack of wireless coverage as extensive as cellphone coverage.
AT&T cellphone coverage.
Objective-C. Not just because it's OS-specific, but also because it's weird and accomplishes nothing.
Insomnia.
When there is no food in the house and it's too late to get any.
Weeks of nothing but fast-food.
The HOA.
Itchiness.
Allergies and illness in general.
The fact that I was often forced to take notes in class.
Schools grading not just on knowledge and understanding of a subject, but also on study habits (e.g. doing homework, taking notes, etc.)
Monitors lacking HDMI ports.
The fact that USB doesn't support NKRO.
N-day shipping that doesn't arrive until 1.5N days after it is ordered.
Doors that are too heavy to open.
People who value cultural and racial tolerance over logic and morals.
The phrase "everything happens for a reason." (Looking at you, Bieber).
Justin Bieber.
The growing of hair and nails.
The need to go to the bathroom.
Interruptions of tasks in general.
People who dislike House / Inception because it's too predictable. There is a difference between formulaicism and predictability.
Those who maintain that, because induction can never absolute and 100% prove anything, there's no point in developing theories.
Foot odor.
Socks. They're a pain in the ass to put on.
Public bathrooms.
Unnecessary security measures.
Bureaucracy.
People who hold extreme and absolutist opinions.
Sleep.
Human memory: it's based on linkage, and it's not random access.
Teachers and instructors who unnecessarily repeat themselves.
XKCD made Slightly Worses that actually make XKCD slightly worse.
The imperial system of measurement.
The TSA.
People who make the TSA necessary (albeit not really in its current form).
Kid's books and TV shows that excessively patronize children.
Dirt that accumulates on keyboards and mice.
The fact that, to turn off a defective house alarm, I had to cut the wires to the battery.
The insistence that natural = good.
Zoos. They require too much walking.
Exercise: it's very painful.
BASIC. Where are my curly brackets and other symbols?
IDE's that don't automatically indent code.
People who don't respond to IM's and texts.
BBCode: what's wrong with HTML?
Defective mail-order products. This needs to be stressed. It's like the 1.5N day shipping, but with crushed hope.
Lateness.
Those who refuse to even listen to a suggestion or argument.
The suggestion that I should shower more often.
Garbage, and the poor system implemented in place to deal with it. (I should not have to carry garbage bags around: toilets don't require that kind of thing. We need better waste disposal.)
Those who expect absurd payment, or demand absurd discounts.
Anecdotes offered as evidence.
Flaws in my own arguments. They're embarrassing and serve to invalidate what I've said.
Chris Taub: you do not get to cheat on your wife and then whine about your relationship with her.
Twin sized beds: I can't roll over in a bed three feet wide.
The occasional unfunny Monty Python skits.
The odd societal relationship to genitalia: either they're gross or sexy. Pick one.
The degradation in the quality of starter Pokemon.
Tachyon rays used as a plot device.
Blatantly obvious foreshadowing.
Comics Sans and Papyrus.
People who let their emotions interfere with their logic and their interactions with others.
Taikwando: it's a sport, not a martial art. A black belt in 2 years, are you kidding me?
Overly-optimistic and arrogant indie game developers.
Those that get offended when people correct them.
Refusal to admit that one is wrong.
Motherboards specifically designed such that it's nearly impossible to hook up SATA cables.
Dandruff.
Things that are impossible to undo.
Song covers.
Binders that fall apart after one year of use.
Unsubstantiated or intentionally misleading advertising.
Heartburn.
The fact that people have arbitrarily decided that it's no longer reasonable to call the mentally challenged "retards".
Those who temporarily alter their tastes to appease their significant other.
Confident predictions of the future.
A lack of consensus on issues that should seem objective.
Forum posts that are too long.


Pretty much all of these things make you seem like a self-righteous teenager who thinks they know everything, giving those teenagers who at least try (but often fail) to show humility a bad name. Funny how that works.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Kewangji » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:49 am UTC

Since when are Jedi sci-fi?

(Unless you're talking about expanded universe, I guess)
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4399
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:12 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:Since when are Jedi sci-fi?

(Unless you're talking about expanded universe, I guess)

Spoiler:
Image

Fucking laser swords and guns and space ships and aliens
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Oregonaut » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 pm UTC

It was red and yellow and green and brown
And scarlet and black and ochre and peach
And ruby and olive and violet and fawn
And lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve
And cream and crimson and silver and rose
And azure and lemon and russet and grey
And purple and white and pink and orange
And red and yellow and green and brown and
Scarlet and black and ochre and peach
And ruby and olive and violet and fawn
And lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve
And cream and crimson and silver and rose
And azure and lemon and russet and grey
And purple and white and pink and orange
And blue
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby felltir » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:52 pm UTC

OH JUST SHUT UP
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Rant Thread (because we need more ranting)

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:57 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Mars. I don't know why we're still looking at it.

Listen, I think I hate you.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests