Zoomie Fitness Challenge! [NSFW]

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Oregonaut

Zoomie Fitness Challenge! [NSFW]

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:11 am UTC

Open to anyone, but focused on Zoomies. Giant Speck and I agreed to post shirtless shots here in the thread as a challenge to ourselves and each other to better ourselves. We are doing this as motivation, and as Air Force family!

So ladies and gentlemen, please for the love of Luna's graceful stride, have a barf bag ready, because beneath these spoilers lie a Jabba like creature from beyond the veil of time and space.

You have been warned.

Spoiler:
Take three 005.JPG
Take three 006.JPG
Take three 007.JPG
Take three 008.JPG
Take three 010.JPG
Take three 009.JPG
Last edited by Oregonaut on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Re: Zoomie Fitness Challenge!

Postby bluebambue » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:40 am UTC

I stand by my "not fat" assessment.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:48 am UTC

I disagree. Respectfully.

The EGE wrote:

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:34 am UTC

I absolutely support anyone who wants to get in shape and make themselves look and feel better. But I'd just like to point out that, while maybe there are some love handles there and a little extra that you'd prefer to lose, you look fine, and well within the realm of a healthy and attractive weight (at least according to me, I suppose it's subjective). However, I know intimately what it means to be dissatisfied and disgusted with one's own body, so do what makes you happy!
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:49 am UTC

Not too long ago, in my life, I was in what I felt was "perfect shape". I could rip out 80 sit-ups in a minute. I could do between 50 and 60 pushups in a minute. Both with perfect form, which is by far more important than a greater number of imperfect form. I could run a mile in 6 minutes, if I was "on". I could sustain a seven minute mile for 10 miles without a sweat. I could move 550 pounds on a leg-press, and bench near half again my body weight 15 times.

It has been a humbling experience being injured. It has hurt more emotionally than physically watching all of that decade of work drain away. I'll admit I'm harder on myself than I should be. I'll also admit that I appreciate the support, and the statements countering my claims of extreme obesity.

I just cannot see myself as anything but disgusting. That's why I accepted Speck's challenge. I just wish I could hit him in the face with a glove.

The EGE wrote:

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:02 am UTC

Oregonaut wrote:It has been a humbling experience being injured. It has hurt more emotionally than physically watching all of that decade of work drain away. I'll admit I'm harder on myself than I should be. I'll also admit that I appreciate the support, and the statements countering my claims of extreme obesity.

The good news: that work probably wasn't wasted. The conventional wisdom is that regaining lost strength is much easier than building it up from scratch.

You look like your body fat percentage is in the 20% ballpark, which is more than ideal, but not obese. (The error bars on that estimate are pretty large, but that's my guess. Some comparison pictures here.) So there's certainly room for some easy progress, but you're not starting in a terrible place.

If you don't mind my asking, what sort of injury was it? Have you recovered?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:08 am UTC

As someone who has also watched my own fitness rise and fall, I can understand the desire to get back to what you once were. But just remember, your life has changed, and with it, the physical demands on your body. When I had way more free time, I was running or biking at least an hour a day, bouldering for 2-3 hrs, lifting every couple of days, and wrestling with buddies frequently. I simply don't have the time for that kind of physical commitment anymore, and as such, am getting saggier in the waist line, unable to fold ultrasteel with my bare hands, and have to watch what I eat a bit more carefully.

Here, actually, I had posted this picture a while ago:
Spoiler:
inshape.jpg

To compare to, say, a more recent shot (incidentally, with a gun, but the only thing I could find that shows arms):
Spoiler:
5533_530279014901_46002186_31740237_8043942_n.jpg

I know you know this, so I'm just offering a friendly reminder, but you know, don't over do it.
And also posting a "I want to be this fit" picture, as motivation to get that fit again. Summer's almost here, and I haven't broken my wrist yet!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:10 am UTC

Shoulder, back, knee, neck, ankle (because of knee), kidney, brain. I also damaged my big toe. But I don't count that because I think it was just feeling left out during the fun and frivolity.

Have I recovered... Short answer, no. Long answer, I've probably done more damage to myself with ill advised attempts to exercise than I ought to have.

The EGE wrote:

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:02 am UTC

Ouch, quite a list. How do the injuries affect you? Reduced range of motion, or just pain? Is your back injury muscular or spinal?

The good news is that you can now plan your workouts to make your damaged bits work better, rather than worse. High rep calisthenics and distance running are military favorites, but they are also great ways to accumulate overuse injuries. As for the heavy lifting, replacing the leg presses with squats (particularly low-bar) will make things easier on your knees, and ditto for overhead pressing instead of benching for your shoulders. (Or you could keep benching, but throw in some overhead work for shoulder health.)

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:34 am UTC

As promised:

With T-Shirt
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage

Shirtless
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:57 am UTC

I appear to be on the opposite end of the spectrum, having never built up muscle at all.

Hell yeah, being 6"1' and <130lbs.
...hell yeah, not being able to bench much of anything. Or be generally physically fit outside of running.
uhhhh fuck.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:43 am UTC

Both a little doughy. You got a two/three month project. 2lbs a week. you burn 2400 cal. a day without exercise. 3500 cal.=1lb. Run or walk one hr. (1000 cal) and eat 2200 cal. Math works. I'm about 10 lbs. in. 6'2 245. June/July I'll be 215/220. That's a good weight for me. 200 is ideal. Calories in, calories out.
Last edited by The Cat on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:58 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:53 am UTC

Oh, I haven't just started at the fitness thing. I started in January and have since lost 30 pounds and 3.5 inches off my waist. I've gone down one shirt size and almost two pant sizes so far. I just posted the pictures to make Oregonaut more comfortable about posting his own and maybe motivate others to do so, as well.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:56 am UTC

Good for you,GS! Top of the morning Alaska!
Last edited by The Cat on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:58 am UTC

My main problem right now is getting rid of the love handles. I'm visibly getting smaller from a side view, but you can't immediately tell from the front that I'm losing any weight. You can really see it in the face, though. My double chin is almost nonexistent now.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:02 am UTC

I have that problem too. The old muffin top. They're the first to come and last to go. Just gotta keep running. I think strengthening the core helps. Sit ups and leg lifts.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:52 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Ouch, quite a list. How do the injuries affect you? Reduced range of motion, or just pain? Is your back injury muscular or spinal?

The good news is that you can now plan your workouts to make your damaged bits work better, rather than worse. High rep calisthenics and distance running are military favorites, but they are also great ways to accumulate overuse injuries. As for the heavy lifting, replacing the leg presses with squats (particularly low-bar) will make things easier on your knees, and ditto for overhead pressing instead of benching for your shoulders. (Or you could keep benching, but throw in some overhead work for shoulder health.)

Reduced range of motion in my shoulder, and reduced strength in my knee. My spine seems to have compressed some, but I haven't had as many problems there. I tore the muscles on the left side of my spine, and the compression. Back to my shoulder, it gives out if I try to lift too much, or if I move it past a certain point. It just stops working.

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Re: Zoomie Fitness Challenge! [NSFW]

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:50 pm UTC

Added an NSFW tag, because we have received "complaints" of "adult material".

The EGE wrote:

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:08 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Added an NSFW tag, because we have received "complaints" of "adult material".

I'm not quite sure how this thread is more offensive than wasting time on a forum? I mean, any boss I've every had would be more distressed about the "not being productive while I'm paying you out my ass" than a couple of non-sexual shirtless pictures of dudes.

Anyway, probably not a bad idea to label it NSFW just to be sure, nothing is really lost by such a label after all.

I think I might join this thread when I get my hands on some batteries for my camera - might just be the motivator to keep doing this work out thing :D
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:20 pm UTC

The more the merrier. I'm all about motivation, I'm hoping this works for me.

The EGE wrote:

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

As I said, I hereby add my own ugly corpus to the thread as motivation to be able to post something in a month, that doesn't look quite that bad.

Ye be warned, slight nudity and a good amount of fat within. Not for the faint of heart.

Spoiler:
IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

I'd really like to lose, say, 5 kg of fat more. More probably wouldn't hurt either - but at 5 kg lower I'd be back in a shape where it felt damn good.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:57 pm UTC

5*2.2=11 lbs, that's not too bad. You can do it!

The EGE wrote:

biodomino

Postby biodomino » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:29 am UTC

Just be careful not to strain or injure yourself. As you've probably learned firsthand, the setbacks that accompany injury are not worth a hasty effort to get in shape. One misstep can easily set you back several weeks or months, which is more likely to happen if you insist on giving 110% at all times.

Also: I was lured here by the NSFW tags, and I am disappointed. :(

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:33 pm UTC

http://health.yahoo.net/rodale/MH/belly-busting-workout

I wonder if I can do this without wrecking my injuries...

The EGE wrote:

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:05 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:http://health.yahoo.net/rodale/MH/belly-busting-workout

I wonder if I can do this without wrecking my injuries...

I really wouldn't do that if I were you.

Really short and intense workouts are just the thing to rip almost healed stuff apart - entirely besides the fact that the webpage springs like a million alarm bells due to the "this is the perfect workout for everyone, guaranteed results" vibe that it has.

Slow, low intensity work where you can actually feel it if your body starts to tell you "stop" - and gradual increase as the injuries start to heal seem a great deal more sensible.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:44 am UTC

It's been two weeks - I think I'm seem a bit les of cream, cheese and good beer monster now.

Might just be because I *want* to see that - warning, still aint a pretty sight in the spoiler

Spoiler:
IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

(I think that posting every two weeks is a rather good idea, shorter and it's pointless, and longer is not really motivating)

Return to “Fit Club”