Half-Marathon Training

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Memorantix

Half-Marathon Training

Postby Memorantix » Thu May 26, 2011 7:24 pm UTC

After years of laziness whilst at university ive decided to get my act together and I put myself down for the cardiff half-marathon in october (13.something miles), Ive raised some money for charity, bought some snazzy running shoes which have been specially picked for my feet thanks to a high-speed camera and after i recover from this cold im ready to run! I was planning on running every other day, increasing my run each week. Im not embarrassed to admit that I am quite unfit, I'm not overweight but I could probably run about 2 miles comfortably, anymore and Id be huffing and puffing an awful lot!

Has anyone done a marathon or trained for one? Does anyone have any good advice for training & improving my fitness for running, including altering my diet, etc. I plan to start training for it on the weekend (I have a cold at the moment and was told running with a cold is a no-no), the run itself is on the 16th of October.

Thanks in advance :)

Ulc

Re: Half-Marathon Training

Postby Ulc » Thu May 26, 2011 8:14 pm UTC

That means that there is about 20 weeks till the race?

I'd start with the couch to 5k program (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) which is pretty great from what I've heard - don't rush it early, even if your lungs and muscles feels like you can just keep going, your joints will hate you for it.

Supplementing with free weights is probably not a bad idea to help your joints if you aren't massively out of shape, and if you can comfortably run 2 miles, I wouldn't call it massively.

Then proceed with Hal Higdons half marathon training program (http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm), I've heard a lot of good things about it, and compared to a lot of other programs, it isn't unnecessarily complicated.

For diet? Drop the soda, the juice and replace all fatty snacks with fruit - possible upping your protein intake and you're probably perfectly set. But snoop around here on the forum and you'll probably learn a lot.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

Zapheod

Postby Zapheod » Thu May 26, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

I definitely agree with the couch to 5k running plan. It is how I got back into running last year when I wanted to train for a marathon.

I used the training from this website: http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html mostly because it is only 4 days a week and I am not motivated enough to run/exercise 5 days a week.

The biggest things I learned were that no matter how much stretching you think you should do, do more, eat carbs before you run(ex. half a bagel, oatmeal), and never cut your runs short. When sheduling when to start my training I planned in one week where I would not be able to run. Life happens and something may happen where you aren't able to get out and get your miles.

Final note - you will have bad runs. Days where you are tired from the get go, where after the first mile you just want to go home and watch tv but quiting any run early means you are not getting all the training you need. Try to figure out why this day was different than previous days and then just push through and hit your distance.

Memorantix

Postby Memorantix » Thu May 26, 2011 9:12 pm UTC

Thanks for the help guys, its brilliant. I plan to do the couch to 5k running plan then go from there. If im successful I would love to do a full marathon, but ill cross that bridge when I come to it :)

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:02 pm UTC

Good luck!

I just completed my second half marathon, very happy with how I went compared to the first. Other than a couple of 14k fun runs, i've not done anything longer than a 10k training run. However, one thing I found really interesting was that a friend who I trained with and is much the same build, weight, fitness level as me but hadn't done anything longer than 10k for maybe 10 years didn't feel comfortable doing the 21k. The mental confidence of knowing I could do the distance was very reassuring, and the race became more about whether I could maintain my goal pace, rather than getting to the finish line.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Evengeduld

Postby Evengeduld » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:00 am UTC

Memorantix wrote:Ive raised some money for charity

If you manage to run the half marathon in less then 1h30min I will donate 100€ to the charity of your choice (and get it back from taxes the year after..). So go train and make that goal :)
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?

Return to “Fit Club”