0910: "Permanence"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Halborr

Re: 0910: "Permanence"

Postby Halborr » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

I name installs after after LOTR characters (not very original, I know):

old desktop (first of the theme): bilbo
laptop (slackware): strider
laptop (windows): saruman (it made more sense when it was a VM, but now it's a regular install)
Minecraft server: elrond

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

I've recently decided do go with Fictional IA's and/or Robots. For now, I have named:

3 Laptops: Multivac, HAL, GLaDos
1 USB stick: R2D2

Still thinking in names for the Xbox, wireless router and second USB stick

pgn674

Postby pgn674 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:54 pm UTC

I've gone through quite a few non boot (used for storage) hard drives on my dual boot system. Once had like 5 attached at a time. I named the first Primary, and went from there: Secondary, Tertiary, Quaternary, Quinary, Senary, and Septenary.

Bratmon

Postby Bratmon » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:52 am UTC

neoliminal wrote:I like to use exactly 6 digits of hexidecimals. This makes it fairly hard for people to figure out WTF the thing is when they come across just that text. It obfuscates it.

For example if you saw:

Code: Select all

Servers found:
Arachnoid
Decussation
a3e4ef
Plexus
Penis
Myasthenia
Falcon
XKCD

Which one seems like the most fun to hack?

Penis. Definitely Penis.

Solar

Postby Solar » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:54 am UTC

Ahaa, I have a few devices named with planets. Like, Router is "Sol", Wii is "Moon", and on my seventh install of Ubuntu on this laptop, I'm having a field day in "Uranus" ever since! :D

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:53 am UTC

Just name it ANAL and let all the bad puns begin.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

junes

Postby junes » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:10 am UTC

Am I the only one thinking that server name selection window looks kinda DOS-like?

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:27 am UTC

Woolly Mittens wrote:Every network needs to have at least one server named: "Uranus Hertz".

It's not. Pronounced. That way.

Arg.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

Ehsanit

Postby Ehsanit » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:06 am UTC

The question is, is this server "the cloud"?

TiLt
Location: North of where all of the convicts got shipped to from Old England Town

Postby TiLt » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

I change the hostnames on my computers whenever I feel like it (I've only got two). My desktop is currently called blackbox because it is both black and boxy. The laptop how ever is called phreak.
Guns and Banjos, odd band.

jacksonliam91

Postby jacksonliam91 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:01 pm UTC

I name my PC's on the network by the person or feature they below to followed by the hardware...

Liams-Laptop
Liams-PC
HT-PC
POSITC-PC (piece of shite in the corner, PC)

Servers in uni are named after birds (Eagle etc) which I quite like.

Still looking for the best naming convention though.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:20 pm UTC

Woolly Mittens wrote:Every network needs to have at least one server named: "Uranus Hertz".

The content of this thread is way over my head. But; I think that I 'got' 'Uranus Hertz'. I is so funny that the rest of the thread is worth the trouble.
I named my motorcycle. That does not count in a digital world. The only digital thing that I have ever named is me on here. Sad. :(
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

mooncow

Postby mooncow » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:52 pm UTC

Finding a good theme that will yield many useful server names is not always easy. What theme would "Caroline" be part of, I wonder? Radio stations? Characters from Psycho? Members of the Kennedy family?

For one set of servers I administer we used Wallace, Gromit, Preston, Shaun, Babs, ... Wallace was an old server, slow but reliable. Preston looked mean and metallic. Shaun was skinny. Babs was a big fat box. You get the idea. We ran out of good names eventually though. We're now on to Ariel, Sebastian, ...

On my home network, the router is called Dill, the network print server is Mint, the NAS is called Parsley and the two individually addressable NAS drives are Thyme and Bay. I had to do that, just to have "drive Bay"...

mooncow

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:07 am UTC

junes wrote:Am I the only one thinking that server name selection window looks kinda DOS-like?

Pretty sure Randall's trying for either dialog or newt. Both are UI libraries for text terminals, and are vaguely interoperable. They're used by a lot of the Linux OS installers, either as an alternative for when X (GUI) won't work, or as their only option (Debian was that way for long time). Hence the hostname prompt during a Linux install is likely to conjure up such an image in one's memory.

DOS itself didn't do networks, so didn't have the concept of a hostname. Some of the add-on network stacks might have.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

edbdqt

Postby edbdqt » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:59 am UTC

mooncow wrote:Finding a good theme that will yield many useful server names is not always easy. What theme would "Caroline" be part of, I wonder? Radio stations? Characters from Psycho? Members of the Kennedy family?

NBC Must See TV Characters.

Bonus points if you have a BuffaloBill or Daddio.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:50 am UTC

I name my computers after my own characters (most of which are female). So I've had computers named Tenaya, Joanna, Xiana, Margaret, Mary, Yolanda, Carol, Barbara, Lily, Rosalina, and Jennifer. Other devices though don't follow the same theme. My router is called "This is Beckie's network!" and my Wii is called Hibiscus, for example.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

DarsVaeda

Postby DarsVaeda » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

I named mine:

Code: Select all

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

electronerd

Postby electronerd » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:07 pm UTC

I came up with my current theme (notable math/cs figures) by hitting the random page link on Wikipedia until something interesting came up. So far I've got Riemann, Turing and Stroustrup.

tlbs

Postby tlbs » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:23 pm UTC

There is a Loves truck stop nearby, so I though about changing the name of our new (long range) wireless router to, "Loves Free WiFi".
But, I am afraid that will piss some people off enough to cause them to make a determined effort to hack the router.

The default name out-of-the-box is, "Silver Cedar."

Other PC servers I have had in the past: Joe, Bob, Fred, Marty

correnos

Postby correnos » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:30 am UTC

DragonHawk wrote:
junes wrote:Am I the only one thinking that server name selection window looks kinda DOS-like?

Pretty sure Randall's trying for either dialog or newt. Both are UI libraries for text terminals, and are vaguely interoperable. They're used by a lot of the Linux OS installers, either as an alternative for when X (GUI) won't work, or as their only option (Debian was that way for long time). Hence the hostname prompt during a Linux install is likely to conjure up such an image in one's memory.

DOS itself didn't do networks, so didn't have the concept of a hostname. Some of the add-on network stacks might have.

The window's pretty close in theme to the Ubuntu Server install sequence. Or Debian. Or FreeBSD. Take your pick.
If you're seeking the bottleneck, look at the top of the bottle.

hakojo

Postby hakojo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:15 am UTC

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only person who went CAROLINE!!! :D Portal 2 is eating my brain...

Speaking of which, in keeping with the voice talent naming scheme I have for my hardware, I think my next computer is going to be an Ellen...

jfriesne

Postby jfriesne » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:05 am UTC

Waterhouse wrote:(An epidural) doesn't cause euphoria or impaired cognitive function. Not that I had one, or anything, it was... for a friend.

The epidural itself doesn't cause euphoria, but if it's given after 12 hours of anaesthetic-free labor, I bet the sudden absence of excruciating pain does. (sort of like how some people like to run only because it feels so good when they finally stop running)

tahrey

Postby tahrey » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:41 am UTC

glasnt wrote:
WestfW wrote:Psh. Trivial. Coming up with THEMES for a group of servers is the tricky part.

That's easy. Last place I was had obscure elements (e.g. cobalt, bismuth). Current place is nautical. CTHULHU!

That's what we've done here - except we have so many servers on the go at once we're just working through the whole periodic table (starting at the relevant point in a rolling serial list of IPs left off by a previous, abandoned scheme). You wouldn't believe how many different ways can be invented to mispronounce caesium, technetium, molybdenum, darmstadtium.

Rats... we thought it was fairly unique and maybe not obvious to crackers. Well, that's THAT theory blown out of the water.

doggitydogs wrote:Then, during Ethernet configuration, you need to pick a private IP... AND FTP PORT!
Some ideas:
10.10.10.10:10
10.11.12.13:14
192.168.0.168:192

Oh, you motherflubber... up until now I was happy just with, e.g., 192.168.0.1:(last 5 digits of phone number) for my home machines... now there's some whole extra thing to obsess over.

Names and name-themes, though? Pretty easy. Just choose animes / cartoons / etc that you like with a decently large cast. My alma mater* university used Asterix characters, a list that is more or less inexhaustible unless you're hosting the google database or something. For home use I started out with characters from My Neighbour Totoro (the BIG "desktop" machine was Totoro of course, PDAs and phones connecting to it got called Makkurokurose/Susuwatari, Mei, etc, and crappy ebay laptops or guest PCs Satsuki, Kanta... and, oops, we've run out. So when I bought a decent laptop to replace the desktop, switched to Nausicaä instead. Even the anime has a significantly bigger list, but if I go by the manga, it'll be a good long time before I run out (and can easily group-theme the various devices ... my current smartphone is Asbel, as it's a helper/second string to the laptop, having worked through the horseclaws, pets, etc (the laptop is the tit-ular princess herself of course). And there's plenty more productions from the same studio I can use when the time comes to move on, should I finally tire of its 2006 tech level.

Going by this thread I would say "avoid Dr Who... it's been done". Though, like Asterix, you will probably never run out of names that way.

* ugh, I hate having to use that word, it sounds so... dumb. But it's the easiest and most compact way of describing what I mean.

Nergye

Postby Nergye » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:45 am UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:

Arg.

I think you'll find that that depends on where you live. In some countries, accepted pronunciation of "Uranus" really DOES allow for that joke. Otherwise, where would the joke have come from?

...unless you're referring to the "Hertz" part, in which case, I agree. I guess it just depends on how lazy your pronunciation is for that one.

dotancohen

Postby dotancohen » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:23 am UTC

WestfW wrote:Psh. Trivial. Coming up with THEMES for a group of servers is the tricky part.

Here are some of mine:
Solar System moons: Ganymede, Phobes, Titan, ...
Planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, ...
Monty Python people: Chapman, Idle, ...
Famous comedians: Eddie, James, Adam, ...
Streets near the house: Rambam, Bialik, Trumpeldor, ...
Holy cities and capitals: Jerusalem, Mecca, Bethleham, ...
The length of my left toes in mm (measured from the left side): 48, 44, 39
The sounds that dropped foodstuffs make: thp, plu, pftz, blupblup, ...
Last edited by dotancohen on Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

dotancohen

Postby dotancohen » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:26 am UTC

DragonHawk wrote:They're used by a lot of the Linux OS installers, either as an alternative for when X (GUI) won't work, or as their only option (Debian was that way for long time).

When I saw the comic I immediately said "Debian"!

doggitydogs

Postby doggitydogs » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:33 pm UTC

Nergye wrote:
KrytenKoro wrote:

Arg.

I think you'll find that that depends on where you live. In some countries, accepted pronunciation of "Uranus" really DOES allow for that joke. Otherwise, where would the joke have come from?

...unless you're referring to the "Hertz" part, in which case, I agree. I guess it just depends on how lazy your pronunciation is for that one.

Silly people with your silly dialects...

Even Wiktionary lists "hurts" as a homophone for "hertz." Also:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/File:En-us-Uranus.ogg
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/File:en-us-hertz.ogg

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:38 am UTC

doggitydogs wrote:
Nergye wrote:
KrytenKoro wrote:

Arg.

"Uranus Hertz"
The words look pretty to me. But, the sound has layers of meaning that are funny.
The words are pretty. Looks good. Sounds bad.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

DexterF

Postby DexterF » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:25 am UTC

shodan, xerxes, rio, wintermute... you get the idea. I avoided hal, that's just too cheesy.

(And no, I haven't consolidated rio and wintermute yet :) )

What first came to my mind when I saw this tho were my first attempts to drag people over to the penguin side and had them staring at dialogs that pretty much asked the same as Windows would have but it was all in text mode and after entering the data you had to press return as there was no "ok" button or no mouse to click it.

I once hacked up a backup installation for someone to backup his laptop's hard disk.
The restore function had a simple security function that went like "if you really really want to restore enter this code:" (1k urandom | md5sum | first 5 chars)

When I demoed the restore I had the guy sitting there entering the 5 chars and then stare at the screen.
I said "is there a problem?"
"Well... and now what?"
"...press return..?"

Enlightenment dawned.
I gave up trying to migrate people to Linux meanwhile, bottom line is about half went with it, half back to MS.
I regularly sit at the one's half machines and instal latest security patches because despite having a blinkenlights thingy in the systray that needs attention they give it Ritalin. It's in the same space where Windows nags about updates, it operates much the same, still people see their computer as enemies when they're dancing the Tor-valds.

Oh: </boredrant> :D

mooncow

Postby mooncow » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:00 pm UTC

addams wrote:
doggitydogs wrote:
Nergye wrote:
KrytenKoro wrote:

Arg.

"Uranus Hertz"
The words look pretty to me. But, the sound has layers of meaning that are funny.
The words are pretty. Looks good. Sounds bad.

Yes. It is. Pronounced. That way. "Uranus" is named for "Urania" (/jʊˈreɪni.ə/) the muse of astronomy, and the natural pronunciation is therefore /jʊˈreɪnəs/ (which does sound, without putting too fine a point on it, just like "your anus". Sorry). This pronunciation was used for many years without trouble. The tendency to pronounce it instead as /ˈjʊərənəs/ ("YOUR-unn-uss") was a late 20th-century largely-US fad when people became embarrassed at the sound of the name properly pronounced. Now, I'm glad to say, we're largely growing out of it. There's no need to be shy about Uranus!

mooncow

Bulletmagnet

Postby Bulletmagnet » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

tjunction wrote:You have all read RFC 1178, right?

No no no, it's RFC 2100 that's relevant here: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2100.txt

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:48 pm UTC

mooncow wrote:Yes. It is. Pronounced. That way. "Uranus" is named for "Urania" (/jʊˈreɪni.ə/) the muse of astronomy, and the natural pronunciation is therefore /jʊˈreɪnəs/ (which does sound, without putting too fine a point on it, just like "your anus". Sorry). This pronunciation was used for many years without trouble. The tendency to pronounce it instead as /ˈjʊərənəs/ ("YOUR-unn-uss") was a late 20th-century largely-US fad when people became embarrassed at the sound of the name properly pronounced. Now, I'm glad to say, we're largely growing out of it. There's no need to be shy about Uranus!

Isn't it named after the Greek god Uranus? And, even though I know way too little about the Greek language, wouldn't "your-un-us" be a close approximation of the actual Greek word? So wouldn't that pronounciation be more "technically" correct? I think dismissing it as a "fad" because of the "embarrassing" nature of the "original" pronounciation is a fairly narrow view.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Isn't it named after the Greek god Uranus? And, even though I know way too little about the Greek language, wouldn't "your-un-us" be a close approximation of the actual Greek word? So wouldn't that pronounciation be more "technically" correct? I think dismissing it as a "fad" because of the "embarrassing" nature of the "original" pronounciation is a fairly narrow view.

In the original Greek it's Ouranos (or actually Οὐρανός), which is pronounced something more (but not quite) like "oar-AH-nose". It's the initial "y" that's most wrong with all the English pronunciations.

Besides, the 'alternate' English pronunciation sounds like "urine-us" (or "urinous" maybe -- full of urine?), which is hardly any better than "your anus". (Though apparently, if Wiki is to be believed, "urine" and "Uranus" actually share a common etymology from a PIE root meaning "to drip", as in rain in the case of ouranos the sky).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Markavian

Postby Markavian » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:10 am UTC

My computers have gone through a range of names, everything from items on my desk, colours, and more recently favourite anime characters.

Infact... every computer, external storage device, and internal drive now gets its own customised name, icon, desktop theme...

My newest computer was named for the first character that popped into my head (Henrietta) - I then proceeded to check suitability of the name, cross referencing other shows in the genre, and contrasting characters from the same show (to see if there was a better alternative). The whole process took ~15 seconds before I delved into a flurry of keyboard strokes and image searches.

I try to avoid popular culture names, obscure tech references, or anything that is "currently" popular (<a year old), 'cause like I'm hipster like that.

- M

webgrunt

Postby webgrunt » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:57 pm UTC

mooncow wrote:Yes. It is. Pronounced. That way. "Uranus" is named for "Urania" (/jʊˈreɪni.ə/) the muse of astronomy, and the natural pronunciation is therefore /jʊˈreɪnəs/ (which does sound, without putting too fine a point on it, just like "your anus". Sorry). This pronunciation was used for many years without trouble. The tendency to pronounce it instead as /ˈjʊərənəs/ ("YOUR-unn-uss") was a late 20th-century largely-US fad when people became embarrassed at the sound of the name properly pronounced. Now, I'm glad to say, we're largely growing out of it. There's no need to be shy about Uranus!

mooncow

From Futurama, a television show that takes place about a thousand years in the future:

(Professor Farnsworth is showing Fry [who is from our time] his smell-o-scope, a device that lets you smell planets, stars and other heavenly bodies)

Fry: Hey, just as long as you don't make me smell Uranus.

Leela: I don't get it.

Professor Farnsworth: Sorry, Fry, but astronomers renamed Uranus in the year 2620 to end that stupid joke once and for all.

Fry: Oh. What's it called now?

Professor Farnsworth: Urrectum.

Mapar

Postby Mapar » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:49 am UTC

Halborr wrote:I name installs after after LOTR characters (not very original, I know):

old desktop (first of the theme): bilbo
laptop (slackware): strider
laptop (windows): saruman (it made more sense when it was a VM, but now it's a regular install Minecraft server: elrond

Our old server was named Gandalf, my current computer is Radagast, and our back-up server was called Frodo. Yes, I know, I'd have preferred three of the Istari, but Saruman is just such a dick. I won't trust HIM with backups.

We also had Bach way back, and Mozart who was later renamed Monteverdi. Most of our networking apparatus is named after Battlestar Galactica characters. Apparently my parents are geeky enough :)
Hi.

emamid

Postby emamid » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:39 am UTC

"The Naming of Servers is a difficult matter, it isn't just one of your holiday games..."

dr pepper

Postby dr pepper » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:18 am UTC

DanielLC wrote:This reminds me of when I named my computer. I really should have consulted someone who knew Latin. I named it Machina Ex Deus, which, from what I understand, is just Deus Ex Machina with different emphasis. Anyone know how to say "the Machine from God"? I probably should have just called it Deus Est Machine (God is the Machine).

You need the ablative case. So: Machina ex Deo. "Machina" could be either nominative or ablative depending on how used. They're pronounced differently but spelled the same.

For "God is the Machine", the regular way would be "Deus Machina Est" because latin likes its verbs to come last. But for slogans, to be more ponderous, or at least pompus, you leave out the "est", so: "Deus Machina"

dr pepper

Postby dr pepper » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:30 am UTC

tlbs wrote:There is a Loves truck stop nearby, so I though about changing the name of our new (long range) wireless router to, "Loves Free WiFi".
But, I am afraid that will piss some people off enough to cause them to make a determined effort to hack the router.

The default name out-of-the-box is, "Silver Cedar."

Other PC servers I have had in the past: Joe, Bob, Fred, Marty

Long range? As in the recently invented on that claims a 45 mile range? Or just one that gives a zero bar presence signal across the street?

dr pepper

Postby dr pepper » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:41 am UTC

I name my computers for places or people in my own game world. I name my thumbdrives for the kind of content they carry. I have a very simple cellphone so it doesn't need a name. I have a picture frame with 2 usb ports, stereo speakers, wifi, Linux, and an app catalog-- i'm not sure how i want to name that yet.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”