Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
jobriath
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:11 pm UTC
Location: North of England

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby jobriath » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:58 am UTC

archeleus wrote:Now how about an Assassin's Creed 2 OST?


Nice driving drumtrack. The melody's cool as well but since I've never played the game I imagine I'm not getting the full emotional impact. The woodwinds that speak up in the middle come out of nowhere but I bet they tie in with other themes in the game.

Tunng: glitchfolk from London. Comes in two flavours: More folky (their older stuff) or more alt-pop-y. Soft male vocals over eccentric, melodic tunes.

archeleus
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:49 pm UTC
Location: Valenvaryon
Contact:

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby archeleus » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:14 am UTC

Tunng: glitchfolk from London. Comes in two flavours: More folky (their older stuff) or more alt-pop-y. Soft male vocals over eccentric, melodic tunes.


I like the folky version (Jenny again). The voice is excellent and the video great, can't find a higher quality version though.

Now how about Soul Coughing? Alternate rock with bass filled tracks and a slight jazz (I think) touch.

Chicago is not Chicago (I can't find a studio version on youtube)
Sugar free Jazz
I write a blog rant here.

User avatar
jobriath
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:11 pm UTC
Location: North of England

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby jobriath » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:22 pm UTC

archeleus wrote:Now how about Soul Coughing? Alternate rock with bass filled tracks and a slight jazz (I think) touch.

Chicago is not Chicago (I can't find a studio version on youtube)
Sugar free Jazz


Glad you liked the Tunng! I'm digging the Soul Coughing. It's more rhythm-driven than a lot of what I listen to but I've been bopping in my chair listening to it. Definitely looking into these guys more.

Squirrel Nut Zippers are a swing revival band who are batshit insane. The linked video is absolutely brilliant. Also by them, good for waking you up in a morning, is The Suits are Picking Up the Bill.

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby sje46 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:08 am UTC

I don't really like Swing/Jazz. I liked the first song though. Something about his undertoned vocals. "Camptown ladies never sang Oh da doo da day oh no no"

Oh look, depressing 60s baroque pop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1N8GtDkYfQ

I think the guitar uhh..melody or whatever it's called is beautiful.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

User avatar
jobriath
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:11 pm UTC
Location: North of England

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby jobriath » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:43 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:I don't really like Swing/Jazz. I liked the first song though. Something about his undertoned vocals. "Camptown ladies never sang Oh da doo da day oh no no"

Oh look, depressing 60s baroque pop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1N8GtDkYfQ


I absolutely did not get Nico when I first heard her singing in VU, a few years ago. Now I think she's ace. That's a lovely song.

(My favourite bit is also the camptown ladies refrain. There's something perfectly cynical about it.)

Mumford & Sons? I tried not to like them---I find their goddiness irritating in a way I don't find Sufjan Stevens's---but they're just too catchy. Kind of indie with lots of nice crescendos.

User avatar
Lime
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby Lime » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:04 am UTC

jobriath wrote:
archeleus wrote:Now how about Soul Coughing? Alternate rock with bass filled tracks and a slight jazz (I think) touch.

Chicago is not Chicago (I can't find a studio version on youtube)
Sugar free Jazz


Glad you liked the Tunng! I'm digging the Soul Coughing. It's more rhythm-driven than a lot of what I listen to but I've been bopping in my chair listening to it. Definitely looking into these guys more.

Squirrel Nut Zippers are a swing revival band who are batshit insane. The linked video is absolutely brilliant. Also by them, good for waking you up in a morning, is The Suits are Picking Up the Bill.

Holy shit! Those guys are amazing! Excellent vocal work and refreshingly well composed instrumentals.

sje46 wrote:I don't really like Swing/Jazz. I liked the first song though. Something about his undertoned vocals. "Camptown ladies never sang Oh da doo da day oh no no"

Oh look, depressing 60s baroque pop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1N8GtDkYfQ

I think the guitar uhh..melody or whatever it's called is beautiful.

Meh, I never like Nico. She ruined a few good Velvet Underground songs, and she's not the best musician herself.

jobriath wrote:I absolutely did not get Nico when I first heard her singing in VU, a few years ago. Now I think she's ace. That's a lovely song.

(My favourite bit is also the camptown ladies refrain. There's something perfectly cynical about it.)

Mumford & Sons? I tried not to like them---I find their goddiness irritating in a way I don't find Sufjan Stevens's---but they're just too catchy. Kind of indie with lots of nice crescendos.

Oh man, I know exactly what you mean. I tried not to like them too, but they're just so damn awesome.

As for my contributions, how bout a little folk punk? Against Me are fantastic. In particular the vocal hook of this song gets me every damn time. "Don't let that feeling ever go away."

Also Andrew Jackson Jihad are amazing. A little less accessible than Against Me but no less beautiful.

Enigmocracy
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 4:47 am UTC

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby Enigmocracy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:10 pm UTC

Lime wrote:Also Andrew Jackson Jihad are amazing. A little less accessible than Against Me but no less beautiful.
I really liked this piece. The only complaint I can find is is the vocals take a bit of getting used to.

Oh look, depressing 60s baroque pop. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1N8GtDkYfQ
Eh, the vocals sound kind of awkward. Like they don't really flow that well with the instrumentals.

Mumford & Sons? I tried not to like them---I find their goddiness irritating in a way I don't find Sufjan Stevens's---but they're just too catchy. Kind of indie with lots of nice crescendos.
I really don't know if it is possible for someone to dislike Mumford & Sons.

These songs are for anyone who never listens to pop or the radio:

Raise Your Glass - P!nk
Animal - Neon Trees
Just the Way You Are - Bruno Mars

User avatar
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan
Posts: 769
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:09 pm UTC

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby Microscopic cog » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:39 pm UTC



I hated this song so much, it was everywhere all the time. Not even starting on the lyrics. However, then he came with a different song, which I find suprisingly enjoyable. The video is neat as well.

Bruno Mars - Grenade
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

User avatar
Aethernox
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:55 am UTC

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby Aethernox » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:52 am UTC

I recently mentioned it in another thread, but I'll link it here regardless. Agalloch's To Drown. It's fairly long and is very much post-rock-esque, so I wouldn't recommend it for those with relatively short attention spans/a disinterest in atmospheric & otherwise-not-immediately-catchy music.

Microscopic cog wrote:I hated this song so much, it was everywhere all the time. Not even starting on the lyrics. However, then he came with a different song, which I find suprisingly enjoyable. The video is neat as well.

Bruno Mars - Grenade


I gave this a listen. I find his voice a bit grating, but I'm not sure what I look for in vocalists anyways. I can't listen to the chorus without being reminded of the soundtrack to the Lion King, though, and the drums sound kind of compressed, but that's not surprising with YouTube videos.

Enigmocracy wrote:These songs are for anyone who never listens to pop or the radio:

Raise Your Glass - P!nk
Animal - Neon Trees
Just the Way You Are - Bruno Mars


I'm familiar with all of these through pop radio. I loathe the first, I find that it's just poorly made and overly-anthemic for my tastes. However, I absolutely adore Animal. That song is fantastic. Finally, I don't really have much of an opinion on Just the Way You Are. It's not as inherently dis-likable as Raise Your Glass, but it just doesn't appeal to me at all.

I noticed a fair bit of Opeth discussion. I'm really excited that Steven Wilson will be collaborating again, since he also happened to assist with their best album.

User avatar
jobriath
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:11 pm UTC
Location: North of England

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby jobriath » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:57 pm UTC

Lime wrote:As for my contributions, how bout a little folk punk? Against Me are fantastic. In particular the vocal hook of this song gets me every damn time. "Don't let that feeling ever go away."

Also Andrew Jackson Jihad are amazing. A little less accessible than Against Me but no less beautiful.

These are nice pieces and I bet they light up a party. I'll definitely check out some more of their stuff. It puts me a little in mind of a less cleaned-up version of Frank Turner (this song best played in front of a loud crowd, but still a good version).

Aethernox wrote:I recently mentioned it in another thread, but I'll link it here regardless. Agalloch's To Drown. It's fairly long and is very much post-rock-esque, so I wouldn't recommend it for those with relatively short attention spans/a disinterest in atmospheric & otherwise-not-immediately-catchy music.

Oh, yes. I don't know if I'm just in an overly-dramatic mood today but as soon as the violins came in my eyes unfocused and I gasped like an amateur dramaticist acting a hit of morphine. Will take a while to get used to the vocals but every other element immediately hits home. Atmospheric and gorgeous. Thanks!

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:18 pm UTC

archeleus wrote:Now how about an Assassin's Creed 2 OST?

I didn't realize how much I liked the OST for Assassin's creed 2. Now I'll be sure to get it on my driving playlist.

:D

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

I haven't really listened to much of the music discussed on this page, and so I think it would be against the spirit but not the rules of the thread to comment. In the spirit of the thread (but not the rules) I'm going to leave it at that. This post is in order that when I have a chance/when a piece of music I've listened to and formed an opinion on is mentioned, I can see it in my Egosearch and reply to it. Apologies if this is obnoxious.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

Lime wrote:Mumford & Sons? I tried not to like them---I find their goddiness irritating in a way I don't find Sufjan Stevens's---but they're just too catchy. Kind of indie with lots of nice crescendos.
Lots of crescendos is just it. Mumford & Sons song = something vaguely depressing, then build crescendo. Not a huge amount of variation.

For something with a similar sound, but that sounds better to my ears, would be Laura Marling's Rambling Man. The rest of this album is excellent modern folk, and nicely rich and varied.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Brother Maynard
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby Brother Maynard » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:51 am UTC

archeleus wrote:
Midnight wrote:I'll point you towards Closure


Nice performance. Shitty crowd.

I like Opeth, but I haven't heard this track before and I like it.

Now how about an Assassin's Creed 2 OST?


Well, now I've got another OST to start listening through. :P

Based off that, you might like the 3 OSTs for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Similar samples:
To Be King
Knives and Shadows

MisterCheif
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:24 am UTC

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby MisterCheif » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:49 am UTC

Brother Maynard wrote:
archeleus wrote:
Midnight wrote:I'll point you towards Closure


Nice performance. Shitty crowd.

I like Opeth, but I haven't heard this track before and I like it.

Now how about an Assassin's Creed 2 OST?


Well, now I've got another OST to start listening through. :P

Based off that, you might like the 3 OSTs for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Similar samples:
To Be King
Knives and Shadows


I'm really liking the percussion at the beginning of To Be King. Even though I am not I percussionist, I am the Drum Major of my school's marching band I can really appreciate some good percussion parts since I work with the pit and drum line the most.

Here's some stuff from that we played in the PMEA Region VI Band:

Solas Ane: This is one of the two favorite pieces we played. It has a really celtic/viking feeling to it.

The other is Night. This one was our main piece, with a lot of really cool effects. You may have to turn it up to be able to hear the crystal glasses though.
Movement I - The Evening Air
Movement II - Faith of a Child and Movement III - The Never Ending Night

I'm also pretty sure this is the only recording of Night on the internet, seeing as my searches prior to the festival to find out what it sounded like didn't meet with success.

I still wish somebody in the auditorium had video taped it, because the visual effects really added something. We had the windows of the auditorium blacked out, and the lights were off, and we had stand lights. Near the end of the third movement, after the fast section had ended, we began to turn off our stand lights slowly throughout the band, until every light was out and the song was over. Then we went right into our last piece, Ave Maria (the conductor didns't want the concert to end on a depressing note) before the lights came on.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

JamesP
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:24 pm UTC

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby JamesP » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:04 pm UTC

I coulda sworn Solas Ane was going to become the Shire Theme for a moment there.I assume by school you mean University/ College? I know American's take 'band' much more seriously than the UK but that was very impressive for 'just' a school band. Usually I need to be in the right mood for classical music but I always have time for well played Hazo!

I really couldn't decide between these two so I'll take two shotties and hope no one notices.

Andreas Waldetoft. He composes the soundtracks for Paradox Interactive games and has pretty much mastered the *epic orchestral score* market - or he would have if Paradox made their games more accessible. My favourites are Letters from Home (HOI3) and Mare Atlanticum (EU3). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOiohuMk ... re=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXkCfjCW ... re=related

My other choice, and I have no idea why, is Sonata Arctica- Last Drop Falls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5u95_2z3FY).
Over the top lyrics? Yep.
Epic Music? Yep
Singer who can sustain notes men shouldn't hit after 12? Yep.

Must be from Finland.

Maraki
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:16 pm UTC

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby Maraki » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:27 am UTC

The Andreas Waldetoft was good, but I thought it was a little canned and bland in the first piece - I preferred the second much more, although it still held many attributes of the former. Sonata Arctica's lead singer's overall style, and his tone in his lower register annoy me, although I've found that most proficient or better *singers grow on me with time, and he certainly qualifies. The arpeggiated progression was nice, but it didn't hold its own (it sounded a mite bit synthy when that was all you could hear). And mix-wise both of your choices (technically three) were passable, but sounded over-produced at times (especially in the first Waldetofts). Also, I'm not from Finland and I can hit those notes! :lol:

Now for my piece, I present a masterpiece: Dream Theater's Octavarium *(who happens to be one of those singers who grew on me).

Arnvidr
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:17 pm UTC

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby Arnvidr » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:56 pm UTC

It took me many years to be able to listen to Dream Theater, and only earlier this year did I manage to start appreciating the vocalist enough to listen to them. Songs like this one is the reason I kept trying to like them over the years, the knowledge that if I could stand to listen to him sing, a whole lot of excellent music would be available to me. I'm glad I took the time to listen to this epic again now, it's really beautiful.

So, to continue with something equally epic, but completely different, I give you the title track from Weakling's Dead As Dreams album. The vocals could be a hard sell for some, but there are many nice instrumental parts with this band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ0oeqrZuQI

Maraki
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:16 pm UTC

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby Maraki » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:54 am UTC

@Arnvidr Yep, good ol' James LaBrie. I first heard his voice and I was heavily displeased, to say the least. But now I actually like his voice - and he also is a good lyricist and composer, from what I've heard and seen. I'm not going to fully evaluate your song because I don't want to hog all the adjudication, but I will ask this in reference to your song: Why would you prefer screaming to singing? I just don't understand how people can listen that, even though I've tried.

Arnvidr
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:17 pm UTC

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby Arnvidr » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:23 pm UTC

I love these vocals. It's definitely an acquired taste, but any kind of extreme vocals are more of an instrument than a melody..."thing". In many of the harder metal genres you already have a lot of un-melodic passages, so the stretch between that and also enjoying these kinds of vocals are not really that big. A stepping stone might be something where the vocalist does both normal and extreme vocals, and where the extreme vocals might also be actually be something halfway between singing and growling/shrieking, that is, the extreme vocals also have a melody, like in this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JD1QKJmW4c

User avatar
Pandafaust
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby Pandafaust » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:38 pm UTC

Arnvidr wrote:I love these vocals. It's definitely an acquired taste, but any kind of extreme vocals are more of an instrument than a melody..."thing". In many of the harder metal genres you already have a lot of un-melodic passages, so the stretch between that and also enjoying these kinds of vocals are not really that big. A stepping stone might be something where the vocalist does both normal and extreme vocals, and where the extreme vocals might also be actually be something halfway between singing and growling/shrieking, that is, the extreme vocals also have a melody, like in this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JD1QKJmW4c


Listened to the linked Gojira song, and I enjoyed parts of it but I struggled to actually listen to it properly when the rage descends - found it fairly repetitive at that stage. I can appreciate the percussion and guitarwork throughout; the first couple of minutes worth of singing were enticing too, but when it did that little 'jump-cut' thing at about 2:20 I had to reset the song a couple of times as I thought it was a buffering error :P

In the interest of a fair trial I wandered off for a bit then came back and played it through again, and to give it its due I found it much more interesting, maybe I just have some sort of ingrained distaste towards the style from years of listening to other genres. Suspect it's the fault of the youtube clip rather than the song, but I didn't like the way it just cut out at the ending whilst it was still winding down.

For my choice I'm going to go with 'Catch & Release' by the Silversun Pickups, one of the very few songs I can actually at least some of the lyrics for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7KaLTT7BEc

Arnvidr
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:17 pm UTC

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby Arnvidr » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

Pandafaust wrote:Listened to the linked Gojira song, and I enjoyed parts of it but I struggled to actually listen to it properly when the rage descends - found it fairly repetitive at that stage. I can appreciate the percussion and guitarwork throughout; the first couple of minutes worth of singing were enticing too, but when it did that little 'jump-cut' thing at about 2:20 I had to reset the song a couple of times as I thought it was a buffering error :P

In the interest of a fair trial I wandered off for a bit then came back and played it through again, and to give it its due I found it much more interesting, maybe I just have some sort of ingrained distaste towards the style from years of listening to other genres. Suspect it's the fault of the youtube clip rather than the song, but I didn't like the way it just cut out at the ending whilst it was still winding down.
That's actually a big failure on the uploader's part. The video is called From Mars To Sirius, and that little jump is where the song From Mars becomes To Sirius on the cd. The same with the ending in a way, as both the song before and the song after flows together with these two. Kinda epic in my opinion, but the result is that on first listens it might seem overly repetitive. The point was to give an example of some "softer" extreme vocals though, which I think I managed :)
Pandafaust wrote:For my choice I'm going to go with 'Catch & Release' by the Silversun Pickups, one of the very few songs I can actually at least some of the lyrics for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7KaLTT7BEc
That's an awesome bass sound! Really nice vocals too. I might have to check out more of this.

For some of my favourite vocals in a genre I rarely listen to, I present a ballad by Deadsy. Also the "pop" band I know of with the heaviest guitars ever (nu-metal 7-string style though). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjtsmcs4pO4

MisterCheif
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:24 am UTC

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby MisterCheif » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

JamesP wrote:I assume by school you mean University/ College? I know American's take 'band' much more seriously than the UK but that was very impressive for 'just' a school band.

Nope. It's all high school level. :)

archeleus wrote:Nice performance. Shitty crowd.

I like Opeth, but I haven't heard this track before and I like it.

Now how about an Assassin's Creed 2 OST?

Wow. I like.
When it started, I just got this feeling that this is rock that sounds orchestral, and would work perfectly with an orchestra playing the parts. And then some violin came in, and it was awesome.
I also like how it transitions from a more traditional rock style to an almost oriental theme closer to the end.
Man, I really need to get an Assassin's Creed game...

Anyway.
Blue Devils 2003
Sorry you have to suffer through the annoying PBS interviews at the beginning of the video. It was the best version I could find.

EDIT: Oh, and the music is finished when their show ends at a bit before 10 minutes. The second half of the video is just some more interviews and the awards ceremony.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

User avatar
Triss Hawkeye
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:10 pm UTC

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby Triss Hawkeye » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

MisterCheif wrote:Anyway.
Blue Devils 2003
Sorry you have to suffer through the annoying PBS interviews at the beginning of the video. It was the best version I could find.


That really is incredible. Xylophones sound brilliant, I wish they were used more often in music. I really like the drumming as well - with percussionist relatives and knowing lots of people in pipe bands, you get an appreciation for snare drums and whatnot. And as if the music wasn't already exciting and dramatic, look at that choreography!

The FMA: Brotherhood soundtrack is wonderful, I have all three - it makes good working music.

Now for a suggestion of my own: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uci4rBB2WcQ

Gravity, by Susanne Sundfor. She's one of my favourite artists, with a really great voice.

User avatar
wqdiia
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:10 pm UTC
Location: Hallituskatu

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby wqdiia » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:11 pm UTC

Listened to the Assassin's Creed 2 OST song linked, was great! Even before I read the name of the piece (Venice Rooftops) I had the feeling of running fast, high above ground. I'm listening to other songs from the game, so far I've liked them. They all sound great for running, actually. Haven't played the games, but judging from the couple videos I've now seen I think I'd enjoy them.

Here's another videogame OST - I really liked the music in Bastion, and you can listen to it on their website.

User avatar
darknut
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:40 am UTC
Location: here

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby darknut » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:06 am UTC

wqdiia wrote:Here's another videogame OST - I really liked the music in Bastion, and you can listen to it on their website.


listen to a few a while ago, and came back a few times to find it again, great bunch of songs. love the style,
particukarilly liked the first 4, liked the blues type feel some of em had like #11
also like the narrators voice
some of them became repetitive but that tends to happen with most video game music

while rumaging through old CDs found Tea Party - Transmission which ive been listening to quite a bit
being the one that got played on the radio when it was new temptation wil probably be the most recongnizable
i particularly enjoy the title track but psychopomp is my favorite, though i like this version better
poxic wrote: Take a source of light and cook it up until it lases -- now you have a laser.

User avatar
Black Dynamite
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:56 am UTC

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby Black Dynamite » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:59 am UTC

Aethernox wrote:I recently mentioned it in another thread, but I'll link it here regardless. Agalloch's To Drown. It's fairly long and is very much post-rock-esque, so I wouldn't recommend it for those with relatively short attention spans/a disinterest in atmospheric & otherwise-not-immediately-catchy music.

I adore Agalloch. I adore you for posting them. I loved Marrow of the Spirit.
I feel like this is required.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0v385qyDk


darknut wrote:while rumaging through old CDs found Tea Party - Transmission which ive been listening to quite a bit
being the one that got played on the radio when it was new temptation wil probably be the most recongnizable
i particularly enjoy the title track but psychopomp is my favorite, though i like this version better

I enjoyed the intro to temptation very much. But then the rest of the song was radically different and I couldn't get into it. I think the lyrics are great and interesting, but I'm not fond of the vocals. I'm too picky with singing.

I'll contribute one of my favorites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pguSt3P5PkI

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:25 pm UTC

I really love the Bastion soundtrack. Great piece of work. I especially like the building up of parts into Setting Sail, Coming Home.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

melloyello
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:48 am UTC

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby melloyello » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:39 pm UTC

ACTUALLY listened to other people's music :) it's an odd concept, really

here's my bit:
(couldn't find just the mp3, but here's a song from my favorite movie)
Beth Rowley - You've Got Me Wrapped Around Your Little Finger

and my favorite cover of Seven Nation Army:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDNG4ewIkXk
Ben L'oncle Soul

User avatar
ExplodingHat
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:15 am UTC
Location: Land of Smog and Sunsets

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby ExplodingHat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:00 am UTC

melloyello wrote:...favorite cover...
So many awesome things about this I'm going to have to make a list:
1)The funky rhythm.
2)That little organ riff at the beginning. (Reminds me of the music in Napoleon Dynamite.)
3)The keyboard fills.
4)When the horns come in at 0:45.
5)In general, the bluesier the vocals, the better.
6)The mixing and mastering complements the arrangement, such as the use of a high-pass filter at 1:10.
7(ation Army))HOLY SHIT, HAMMOND SOLO!!! <33333333333333333333
This was literally the most exciting thing in music I have found in months.

Can't really follow that up with anything comparable, but have some nice jazz anyway:
But Not For Me
Some call it luck, I call it "subconscious planning".

MisterCheif
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:24 am UTC

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby MisterCheif » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:58 pm UTC

ExplodingHat wrote:Can't really follow that up with anything comparable, but have some nice jazz anyway:
But Not For Me


That's awesome. I love the trumpet solos in that, especially the smooth tone. A lot of what I've been hearing recently is a lot of the super high trumpet screams, so it's a nice departure from that.

Here's some stuff from this year's PMEA Region VI Band.

Raise of the Son - Not much to say about this, except that is a really cool piece. And 32nd note runs on bass clarinet? Yes. Hell yes. Hell fucking yes.
Once More Unto the Breach - Just a really cool piece, with each movement having an entirely different tone, with the first being very dark and fast, the second being slower and lighter, but still having elements of the dissonance of the first in the soprano sax solo, and the third adding a new theme, as well as bringing back the themes from the first two movements.
Sails of Time - Awesome. 'Nuff said. I had two measure duet with the piccolo in this one, and there is a pretty awesome bass clarinet soli. Also, tubas can sound like digeridoos.

I'll probably have some more music to post after region orchestra and state band happen.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

User avatar
Chewbaccawacca
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:14 am UTC
Location: The Great Green Pacific Northwest! ....of the United States! .....of America!

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:03 pm UTC

Listened to Raise of the Son, not really to my typical taste, but still pretty good. One of the few songs I've listened to where the title was really apt to the feel of it. Oh and clarinet bits, yeah that was pretty great.

And now for something completely different! Pour Decisions by The Real McKenzies. Honestly not the best stuff, but ever now and again I find myself in a mood. And this is one of those times.
Not all who wander ar...blah blah blah, basically I want to be cool like Aragorn.

User avatar
Gears
Bulletproof
Posts: 1593
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:31 am UTC
Location: Japan

Re: Let's ACTUALLY listen to each other's music!

Postby Gears » Sun May 06, 2012 10:22 pm UTC

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_13151953

Not mine, but a friend's.

Don't know what ST usually does in a situation like this, but I've changed one digit in the URL, so it plays a different song

...'cause you didn't comment on anyone else's music, which is rule 1 of this thread (and the other one where you post your music)
Last edited by Felstaff on Mon May 07, 2012 10:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I can be such an arse sometimes!!
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.


Return to “Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests