Who the dickens are you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mous

Re: INTRO THREAD THE THIRD

Postby Mous » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

Hello. my name is Mous and I am a bunny and I am new here. Completely. 100 percent. New. Totally not like one of those "new-used" cars where you feel all special because you have a new car, but it's got an entire past life hidden under its carburetor.
*cough*
I still like ice cream.
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

Ptharien's Flame

Postby Ptharien's Flame » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:03 pm UTC

My full pseudonym is Ptharien's Flame although it may be abbreviated as PTFlame; I will never, ever reveal my real name. I am physically fully human, but psycologically at least partially a computer. My known programming languages, in order from favorite to least favorite, are:
  1. Haskell
  2. Objective-C
  3. Oz 3
  4. Prolog
  5. Common Lisp
  6. BASH Scripting Language
  7. OCaml
  8. Caml Light
  9. Java
  10. LLVM IR
  11. DHTML (in all it's variadic glory)
  12. TI-Basic (z80 style)
  13. DarkBASIC
  14. C
  15. BASIC Classic
  16. Objective-C++
  17. Ruby
  18. Python
  19. CIL
  20. x86_64 Abstract Assembler
  21. C++
  22. Scheme

HarmoniousMembrane

Postby HarmoniousMembrane » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:39 pm UTC

Hi, I guess.
I'm a student, living in the UK. My username is taken from my (albiet briefly-used) wikipedia username, which was in turn taken from two words at random that sounded cool.
I've been a loooong time lurker of the fora, starting with going onto the forums to "get" a joke I didn't get, but then morphing into a spate of reading of a lot of the "manly" thread. So I'm well versed in bacon. And Cheese. And bacon and cheese. And bacon and cheese that is also exploding. And on fire. You may guess I am also male.

Interesting anecdote: my registration email went to my junk folder. I was like "Where is it?", and then I was like "oh, it's in the junk. Stupid hotmail." Actually, that anecdote is kinda lame.

Lady Macaroni

Postby Lady Macaroni » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:24 pm UTC

Hey.

Name's Lady Macaroni, and I'm a journalism student in the "frozen wastelands" of upstate New York (as dictated by my peers, not me). I've poked around on the forums quite a bit, though usually without anything intelligent to respond with. I have a slight obsession with baseball and hats, especially the fuzzy kind, and I have a knack for getting injured in stupid ways including but not limited to paintball and running the wrong way on an escalator.

Oh, and I make a killer barbecue sauce, so I've been told.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:21 pm UTC

Hi Lady Macaroni :) . Reading your nick makes me hungry. Welcome and enjoy the forum!
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:24 pm UTC

Lady Macaroni wrote:Name's Lady Macaroni, and I'm a journalism student in the "frozen waffles" of upstate New York
How I first read that.
Also, to my knowledge, waffle ≠ macaroni. Your avatar makes me hungrier than your name.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

Lady Macaroni

Postby Lady Macaroni » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:13 pm UTC

chridd wrote:
Lady Macaroni wrote:Name's Lady Macaroni, and I'm a journalism student in the "frozen waffles" of upstate New York
How I first read that.
Also, to my knowledge, waffle ≠ macaroni. Your avatar makes me hungrier than your name.

I had a picture of the macaroni sculpture Kraft did in Boston last summer, but there were random people in the pic so I didn't use it. Oh well. Waffles are a good second.
Chaoszerom wrote:Someone hit someone else in the face with a fire extinguisher in the first 100 words, I can't let that slide!

It's a good day to kick some ass.

_sw

Postby _sw » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:33 pm UTC

Hello! I have lurked here for quite a long time, but have only just got around to registering/posting. I live in the UK. I enjoy long walks on the beech making up weird stories and bakeries but spend most of my time manipulating tiny lights on a rectangle by pressing buttons. I apologize for the comic references on this post. I don't know how often I will post here, we shall see.

SFX

Postby SFX » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

Hello strangers. Odd internet people reading this post.

I often avoid the intro thread, jumping head first into whatever topic was interesting enough to get my lazy ass to sign up. But not this time. For those who have little interest in newcomers, this would be a good time to stop reading this post. There will be no big reward.

No seriously, go look at something interesting. This is going downhill from here.

Just to put your mind at ease, I am certainly and with out a doubt a puppet, but not a sock puppet!

Introductions. Hate them. Intros. Both because it requires effort, typing and all that, but even more so, because I often feel like it's when you go to a 'meeting' and they go around the room and have everyone introduce themselves. The people who are ALWAYS at the meeting, who all know each other, they don't want you to really introduce yourself, they want you to say, "Hi my name is Dave and I am addict", or "alcoholic", or whatever label the group is going to slap onto you, because you are there.

And then they want you to shut the hell up. If you actually start introducing yourself, talking about why you are there, what's the problem, you know, who you ARE, they tell you to shut up. Nice. That is so welcoming, isn't it? Poor sod finally drags his sick self to a meeting, and the first thing you know, you are told to shut up. But 'keep coming back' and all that.

(pause)

What I really like to do is start a thread. An awesome thread. The kind that makes interested people go, "Wow, I did not know that! Thanks FX! You are cool", that's what I want to do. I've done it before. It's won't even be a new thread for me, it has already happened before, but I can tell from my reading here it would be a good thread here. An excellent thread even. How cool is that? And THAT would be a much better intro than this post, which I did tell you was going to not be all that great.

Which brings up the obvious question, why are you still reading it? :)

Haha, I hope that is as funny to you as it is to me. Oh that's a real important point. I often amuse myself. And if I think it's funny, then that is a good thing. If you hate it, well, I simply don't care that much. You must not have a sense of humor. So there. Haha, I win. No really, now your rage makes me laugh even more. Obviously the internet is a grand source of amusement for somebody who is actually that funny. Like me. I'm hilarious. Oh not to you maybe, but to me, and that is the important thing when posting. That you are amused. The best I can hope for others is that they get some small measure of knowledge, if not about themselves, at least about science. And science is awesome. it's more awesome than anything, because it is at it's small dark heart, about knowing what actually IS, what is happening, in the real world. And the world is awesome. The Universe is so big and awesome, it's more awesome than anything.

You know this is true. OK maybe some don't know this, but I WANT you to know it. That makes me happy. Especially when YOU share the awesomeness with me.

Oh, and when you see a word like THIS, all caps, it's for emphasis. It's faster than color, bolding, italics or any of those fancy text tricks we can use. It also can make you look a bit nuts of course. This would not be that far from the truth at times. (the following said in a facetious and funny Russian accent) Haha, that is joke, now you laugh.

OK we are reaching the point of mendacious or tedious long windedness, so lets wrap this up. Haha, spellchecker doesn't think windedness is a word. Stupid spellchecker. Always thinking it's so smart. Red squiggly lines, suggesting I made a mistake. Well, let me tell you spellchecker, I can just add that as a word and now what are you going to do? Huh? Huh? You want a piece of me? Huh?

So here is what got me posting. Wait, I forgot now.

I do love xkcd comics. Like, more than you can ever know.

I'm not sure about the forum, but it's like swimming in a muddy water river. You never know until you jump in headfirst if it is going to be a lot of fun, or you impale yourself on a rust piece of metal.

the_mean_marine

Postby the_mean_marine » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:51 am UTC

Hi

I'm a fairly long (in internet time) lurker of about 6 months, who despite reading XKCD for about 5 years never realised there was a forum hiding behind the comic until (surprise surprise) 6 months ago. I'm currently a 20 year old male studying my third year of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Sydney in Australia. Despite the username I'm really not mean at all (in fact the name was sourced from the bottom of a 40K fire warrior ad [Never played the game or 40K but the ad was cool] in Hyper but that's another story) and have never been in or associated with the marines (although I have done two years of military service). My real name shall be left as an exercise for the reader (Hint: It means sad or sorrowful).

I enjoy many hobbies (I have this weird tendency to want to be at least basically proficient at almost everything) but my primary ones are computers, engineering, video games and music (esp. guitars).

Alright I think that's me in a nut shell.

TheMaskedGecko

Postby TheMaskedGecko » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

Mornin'

I'm Matt. I'm sixteen. Username comes from mum's comment about my appearance at birth. Picture comes from being a student with too much time. I speak fluent English (with the unfair advantage of being English), semifluent German, beginner's French and <50 words of welsh aswell as being able to read sheet music. I play saxaphone to a professional standard (grade 8 trinity) and am currently learning guitar in the least structured way possible. I am an atheist skeptic thanks to the SGU and Richard Dawkins and am accepting of- but baffled by- moderate religious people. I am a third generation Croatian immigrant to the UK so find nationalism confusing. I'm also fascinated by foreign cultures, especially Americans. I am a self imposed grammar nazi, hampered by doing most of my typing on an iPod touch. I am not as geeky as I wish because computers tend to break if I touch them. My twitter name is TheMaskedGecko and my gamertag is TheMaskedGeko (note the spelling), in the unlikely event that you'll want to follow/ befriend me.

Also I'm of the firm opinion that Star Wars 1-3 was the superior trilogy. Sorry.
ConMan wrote:the neighbourhood’s favourite lizard

Yeah, I don't care if it's out of context, it massages my ego and so it stays.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

TheMaskedGecko wrote:semifluent German

Hallöchen! *wink* There's a German practice thread in the Linguistics forum.

I am an atheist skeptic thanks to the SGU

Stargate Universe made you an atheist?

I am not as geeky as I wish because computers tend to break if I touch them.

Breaking computers is a requirement for being geeky.

SFX

Postby SFX » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:35 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
TheMaskedGecko wrote:I am an atheist skeptic thanks to the SGU

Stargate Universe made you an atheist?

Hahaha! I'm a member of the http://sguforums.com, and one April 1st the whole forum was changed to a Stargate theme as a joke.

The sgu forums are currently having a meltdown over Elevatorgate.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:44 pm UTC

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:54 pm UTC

Monika wrote:What? http://www.elevatorgates.com :?:

No, the thing where Richard Dawkins made a complete utter ass of himself by not understanding some shit. http://skepchick.org/2011/07/the-privilege-delusion/
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

broken gate

Postby broken gate » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:55 pm UTC

Hi. I'm seventeen, but get to vote this year. I know some quantity of Japanese and Afrikaans. I have a curious interest in linguistics and speech, but mostly study math and sciences. I also enjoy programming perl, and recently found that sitting on a wooden table somehow kills laptops.
I also type in dvorak now, and so struggle with qwerty...

the_mean_marine

Postby the_mean_marine » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:39 am UTC

Kewangji wrote:
Monika wrote:What? http://www.elevatorgates.com :?:

No, the thing where Richard Dawkins made a complete utter ass of himself by not understanding some shit. http://skepchick.org/2011/07/the-privilege-delusion/

I've read about that incident and quite frankly it perplexes me as to how someone supposedly so open minded can think that:

A) Regardless of his own views on the topic, that it would be in any way appropriate to make such a comment publicly.

B) Regarding any experiences as worthless because they are not the worst, best, etc is in any way logical. I mean looking at it strictly from a probabilistic sense it is extraordinarily unlikely that in the history of anyone who has had that experience that you are going to have had the worst experience therefore only one person at a time can complain and in all probability they're no longer even alive?

In my own view I think it was a very poor move by the guy in the elevator and a very sad indictment of society that the woman involved was afraid.
Last edited by the_mean_marine on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:39 am UTC

You sum up my opinion neatly (except I don't know what enditement is).
I hadn't heard of the incident before.

the_mean_marine

Postby the_mean_marine » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:57 am UTC

My apologies a rather horrendous misspelling, the word I was meaning to use was indictment (It is however pronounced how I spelt it).
The dictionary definition of its use in this case is:
Any charge, accusation, serious criticism, or cause for blame.

skippysheila

Postby skippysheila » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:42 am UTC

I've lurked for ages, but finally decided to post something. You guys haven't eaten anyone for ages, right?

I live in the UK, work for an investment bank (ducks) and often don't have much to say.

And the elevatorgate stuff is infuriating. "Guys, please don't hit on women in confined spaces late at night when they've specifically asked you not to do that." "The feminists want our penises for their eldritch rituals!!! Circle the wagons!!!"

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

You know, the feminists who've performed eldritch rituals with my penis have all been pretty cool about it. Just sayin'.

Also, welcome skippy :D
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

skippysheila

Postby skippysheila » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:37 am UTC

Kewangji wrote:You know, the feminists who've performed eldritch rituals with my penis have all been pretty cool about it.

Mmmmmm, eldritch rituals.

casoid

Postby casoid » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

Hm, probably should have done this sooner than post 15 or so...

I'm Patrick. I'm from Northern Ireland, live in England where nothing explodes, and work in a steel tube that disappears underwater and mysteriously reappears some time later.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:20 am UTC

casoid wrote:Hm, probably should have done this sooner than post 15 or so...

I'm Patrick. I'm from Northern Ireland, live in England where nothing explodes, and work in a steel tube that disappears underwater and mysteriously reappears some time later.

Hello Patrick! It is lovely to have you here. I hope. =D Please don't do anything silly. Otherwise someone might eat you.
Take it back, all silly-ness encouraged heartily.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Gedaechtnis

Postby Gedaechtnis » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:34 am UTC

I am Gedaechtnis. Yes. Hello. Crap, what do I say?

Lurker of fora for lo these many months (9 or so). Reader of xkcd for about 18 months. Classy, sarcastic, pulchritudinous, ergonomical: the usual list of adjectives. Um, I, uh, read a lot (fantasy/sf/literary nonsense/ingredients lists/newspapers/the entire interblagz), quickly, and on a daily basis. Sometimes I do musical things, but I'm not a music snob. I wish I could sing but I'm really bad at it! Picky eater; enthusiast of International Thingies, Other Cultures, and Linguistics (all oddly capitalized because I believe in humorous grammar); magician and necromancer; likes computers too much for her own good.

Well. Hello. BE MY FRIENDS!

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:43 am UTC

Hi :D . What things do you like to eat / not eat?
Are you German or did you just pick a German word for your nick?

Gedaechtnis

Postby Gedaechtnis » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

Well, without going into too much detail...
Things I like to eat: bread, fruit, vegetables, red meat, salty things
Things I don't like to eat: dairy (especially cheese), white meat, seafood, sunflower seeds

I'm American with some German ancestry, although that's not why I chose my username. It's the name of a company from a book I read and loved, Idlewild by Nick Sagan. Not the best-written book in the history of the world, but still a favorite. Apparently it means "memory."

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:17 pm UTC

Yes, it does. In the sense of the metaphysical thing in your brain that stores the memories ... not in the latter sense of [one|many] memor[y|ies].

robotsonmars

Postby robotsonmars » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:12 am UTC

de-lurking like an unpaid intern
a/s/l
21, robot, mars
about me
asexual, biromantic, FOR SCIENCE!, on a quest to win the internets, kittens, in a long term relationship with my computer, 57% lulz, 23% confusion, 37% bad at math

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:11 am UTC

Hi robot! *waves*

voicedotter

Postby voicedotter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:02 am UTC

*Waves* I have been lazy :(

welcome to the resort. We have gates to other dimensions to the right.
Don't go through the ones to the left. We have doors to you rooms in front of us. The door behind us takes you to anywhere. It is a teleporter.

eeris

Postby eeris » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

Hello, world!

I, erm, hmm. I've been lurking for... to long, and decided it was finally time to register. I'm a gamer, musician, programmer, sportsman and although I'm not the literary type I enjoy staying up to 3am with a good book.

That just about covers it, I look forward to getting to know you all!

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

Hullo Eeris! I hope you like it here. =]
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Come & Sail Away

Postby Come & Sail Away » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:15 am UTC

Right so. A good friend of mine is constantly talking about this forum so I thought I'd join up.

My name is Steph, I'm 16 years old, and I'm a major fan of hyphens [British-Ukrainian-Canadian.] I like to do pretty much everything: martial arts, rugby, downhill skiing, singing, acting, dancing, leadership, writing, literature... Oh, and I'm a complete news junkie.

Can't wait to meet people and make my way around the forum. Yay procrastination tools!

Chuff
CHOO CHOO I'M A TRAIN

Postby Chuff » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:59 pm UTC

Sup Steph?
Fora: I am the friend she speaks of, but fear not, she is much cooler than I.
The Great Hippo wrote:The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.
addams wrote:How human of him. "If, they can do it, then, I can do it." Humans. Pfft. Poor us.

Kyleb

Postby Kyleb » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

What's up? I'm Kyle, nice to meet you.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:51 am UTC

Your name sounds like a portmanteau of Kyle and Caleb. I like that.

holkin

Postby holkin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:19 am UTC

Hi, I am a long time lurker in these forums, mostly reading the logic puzzles and occasionally the individual comic tread for explanations of certain (usually programming related) in-jokes. Recently I feel that I should make some of the lights on other peoples screens change as well as just observing my own lights - so I created an account.

I am 27 and have studied quite a bit of physics, in particular the behaviour of magnetic materials. Sooo... F***ing magnets, I know how they work. (it had to done)

What else? Oh, yes I am Australian, currently in Melbourne but originally from Perth. I am quite a fan of Greg Egan's books.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:30 am UTC

Hi Holkin,

So how *do* magnets work?

I distinctly remember from the time when I was one of the volunteers for an e-mail homework help service when a kid kept e-mailing and asking. I think everyone in the team from physicist to German teacher tried to answer, but she was not content with our answers ... somewhat understandably.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

holkin wrote:I am 27 and have studied quite a bit of physics, in particular the behaviour of magnetic materials. Sooo... F***ing magnets, I know how they work. (it had to done)

Whoa whoa whoa.... what the fucking fuck? You can't fucking say that shit here, the fuck's wrong with you? Sooooo needs FIVE O's, not Four!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “General”