Indian Classical Music

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

fynthase

Indian Classical Music

Postby fynthase » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:50 pm UTC

After becoming thoroughly awe stricken by "Within You Without You" by the Beatles, I'm looking for some Indian Classical Music to listen to.

I look forward to your recommendations.

Masily box

Re: Indian Classical Music

Postby Masily box » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:39 pm UTC

I'm no expert, but it's useful to know that there's a fairly significant divide between the traditions of Hindustani (North Indian) and Carnatic (South Indian) musics. My impression is that the Hindustani tradition has more culturally diverse influences, and it's the one that is most familiar to Western listeners. In particular, the tabla and the sitar (and, respetively, Zakir Hussain and Ravi Shankar) are the most widely-known instruments from Indiana in the west, and they're both exclusively Hindustani instruments.

For my part, I'm a bigger fan of Carnatic music, particularly for the mrdangam, its principal drum. Ramnad Krishnan is a singer who you might do well to start with: his album "Songs of the Carnatic Tradition" was, I think, the earliest to be released in the west. I'd also recommend the albums "Sunada" and "Laya Vinyas" by the mrdangam player Trichy Sankaran, which shouldn't be too hard to get.

Amie

Re: Indian Classical Music

Postby Amie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:32 pm UTC

For starters, listen to Ustad Fateh Ali Khan. Here's a song Eddie Vedder did with him :)

Listen to Pundit Ravi Shankar, Vasundhara Rajagopal (she's got the most beautiful voice ever but she does Carnatic and not Hindustani), Mandolin Srinivas (one of my favourites). If you like these, let me know. I'll give you a longer list!
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

Return to “Music”