Gizmodo Girl Writes Scathing "Magic" Article

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Re: Gizmodo Girl Writes Scathing "Magic" Article

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:38 pm UTC

Someone elsewhere made the joke, "I wonder if he tapped that."

It took me a minute to get it, but... well played.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:51 pm UTC

Tapping adds +1 to fame at the cost of 1 life point.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:54 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Someone elsewhere made the joke, "I wonder if he tapped that."

It took me a minute to get it, but... well played.

A friend joked that she had Vigilance.

Spoiler:
Attacks without being tapped, for the non-Magic crowd.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:31 pm UTC

She's a cheap white weenie with echo
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:19 am UTC

She's Black.

Glmclain

Postby Glmclain » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:50 am UTC

---
Last edited by Glmclain on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:01 am UTC

rigwarl wrote:A friend joked that she had Vigilance.

Spoiler:
Attacks without being tapped, for the non-Magic crowd.

That's horriblawesome.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

mister k

Postby mister k » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:35 pm UTC

While I disliked the original article, cause, you know, its just a really bad piece of journalism (hey I went on a date with a guy. Nothing much happened, we weren't right for each other.), the reply article is kinda genuinely awful. I mean spending that much time talking about drinking (seriously, apparently people who get drunk have no judgement?)
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

ducksan

Postby ducksan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:27 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:It sure would be terrible to date someone who plays silly games for a living! I can't imagine that any girl would want to date a professional footballer or Olympic medalist.

Zing.
Very well done. I guess I'm a bit biased against normal sports, but still. :D
The science flew off Gordon Freeman's face and landed and blowed up in a BOOM!

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:29 pm UTC

ducksan wrote:
EmptySet wrote:It sure would be terrible to date someone who plays silly games for a living! I can't imagine that any girl would want to date a professional footballer or Olympic medalist.

Zing.
Very well done. I guess I'm a bit biased against normal sports, but still. :D

After watching someone hit a small white ball with a stick and run around white squares in a certain order while other people try to touch him with the small, white ball, I'd argue your definition of "normal."

Then again, I've been know to be argumentative about what constitutes "normal."
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

mister k wrote:While I disliked the original article, cause, you know, its just a really bad piece of journalism (hey I went on a date with a guy. Nothing much happened, we weren't right for each other.), the reply article is kinda genuinely awful. I mean spending that much time talking about drinking (seriously, apparently people who get drunk have no judgement?)
Yeah, that's pretty insulting. I just wanted to be like, "fuck you, I deliberately get drunk and enjoy it!" Also seriously there are various extremes of "drunk", some of which I don't really feel like impair your judgement that bad. In short fuck both of them.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

nasalhernia

Postby nasalhernia » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:20 pm UTC

Hilarious. The moment she mentioned Jon and M:TG champ, I already had the name "Finkel" pinned down. I am doomed to die alone.

I wonder if her reaction would have been different if she asked how much money he's made from winning tournaments.

Dark567
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:22 pm UTC

nasalhernia wrote:Hilarious. The moment she mentioned Jon and M:TG champ, I already had the name "Finkel" pinned down. I am doomed to die alone.

I wonder if her reaction would have been different if she asked how much money he's made from winning tournaments.

Probably not a lot different, she already knew he was a hedge fund manager*, probably from his profile.

*Loaded

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:01 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc/22786_To_My_Someday_Daughter.html

He made some good points and had some good anecdotes. I found his execution of the "letter to hypothetical daughter" conceit rather obnoxious and treacly. Given the bluntness of some of his other criticisms, I think he was unnecessarily diplomatic towards the original article, and I disagreed with his suggestion that gamers should have had "thicker skin" to respond "constructively" to her underlying points. All the gendered shit in the responses to her article was bullshit, but if a writer goes on a tech blog and talks about how participants in your hobby are losers and dweebs, you are perfectly okay in dismissing them as a fucking asshole.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

And in reality, there is nothing more geeky about Magic:The Gathering, then more mainstream games like fantasy football. Both involve a constant obsession over numbers, played with a very mechanical set of rules. Only the public's perception of them is different.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:50 pm UTC

well, it's gizmodo. should it *really* be all that surprising? it's not like they haven't done this kind of thing before.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:22 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:
Jessica wrote:http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc/22786_To_My_Someday_Daughter.html

He made some good points and had some good anecdotes. I found his execution of the "letter to hypothetical daughter" conceit rather obnoxious and treacly. Given the bluntness of some of his other criticisms, I think he was unnecessarily diplomatic towards the original article, and I disagreed with his suggestion that gamers should have had "thicker skin" to respond "constructively" to her underlying points. All the gendered shit in the responses to her article was bullshit, but if a writer goes on a tech blog and talks about how participants in your hobby are losers and dweebs, you are perfectly okay in dismissing them as a fucking asshole.

Calls for someone to have thicker skin are almost universally wrong-headed.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Kag

Postby Kag » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

It's kind of hard to fault him for saying that, though, considering the ridiculous amount of fuss this has gotten.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:29 pm UTC

I agree with him about sexism in the gaming community in general and about the response to Alyssa's article. While I have problems with Alyssa's article a huge part of the response was how he described it, which sucks.
But I would consider the article mediocre. I thought he was rambling, a problem I see with many things which try to put their point in a framing device (in this case a letter to his imaginary daughter.)
Compared to the length of his text he didn't say all that much, I think you could cut it in half without losing anything important. But I guess that is a personal preference in writing styles.
And comments like " subway-groping attentions of the otaku" weren't really necessary.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:22 pm UTC

Well, he was talking about more than the original article.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

big boss

Postby big boss » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:59 am UTC

My high school english teach always told his class "good writing is concise writing." Which I think he didn't do too well, but that does not invalidate his points.

I do think he was overly forgiving of Alyssa, and I was angry that he was so convinced in thinking that she was not being shallow by acting the way she did. Yes maybe Alyssa did think in the same manner he described (his hobby taking up to much of his time and not leaving any time for her etc.), but I'm not so convinced she just wasn't superficial because her words definitely made her sound superficial. A good writer wouldn't leave room for his/her words to be interpreted in a way different from that intended (in this sort of writing at least). When I meet a potential romantic partner that has a hobby they are very active in I don't immediately think the hobby is going to be more important than me and I don't think many other people do either.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

Return to “Gaming”