The "How Have I Never Noticed That Before?" thread

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dr. Diaphanous

Re: The "How Have I Never Noticed That Before?" thread?

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:22 pm UTC

exempli grātiā = for the sake of an example. The lines are used in Latin to differentiate a long vowel from a short one.
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:11 pm UTC

Wiktionary wrote:Abbreviation of Latin exempli gratiā (“for example”). Gratiā here is in the ablative case which is translated into the prepositional phrase "for the sake". Exempli is a genitive case noun meaning "of example". Therefore, the full phrase is "for the sake of example".[1] Previously abbreviated to ex. gr.

The lines seem somewhat inconsitent. If you go to the page for the full phrase, you'll see that it claims it should be spelled exemplī grātiā, but on the page for e.g. it's exempli gratiā. And Dr. Diaphanous used exempli grātiā. So who knows?

Edit: stupid new page...
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:44 am UTC

The only time I actually care about the macrons is when they change the meaning of a word. See: liber (book, as in library) versus līber (free, as in liberty).

But... Unless you're majoring in Latin, you can just ignore them.

M1k3_Nix

Postby M1k3_Nix » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:03 am UTC

Fast-Debrid wrote:
Felltir wrote:
My own one, this christmas, was seeing the bear in the Toblerone logo. Noone I've shown it to has ever seen it before.

Whow! That's so cool. When I read your post, I was imagining how could the Toblerone bear (as I call it) can be hidden behind one of the letters with one of its eyes peaking. It turns out its not hidden. It never was. This is so cool! I'm actually smiling right now. I bet anybody I'll show it to will just be as surprised as I am right now. :P

Wow, thats actually stunned me. How have I never noticed that :O

Good observation skills Felltir.

For those that haven't seen it, look in the spoiler.
Spoiler:
SlyReaper wrote:You shouldn't poke fun at a German's sense of humour like that. A German joke is no laughing matter.

"Simply because you can breathe, doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live"

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:38 am UTC

It is a good job I don't eat Toblerones, because I will never be able to not see that ever again.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:50 am UTC

You're right, the bear in the Toblerone is obvious once you see it, and I can't believe it was such a famous character too!

toblertato.jpg
toblertato.jpg (14.29 KiB) Viewed 6338 times
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

userxp

Postby userxp » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:52 pm UTC

The count is called Count Von Count because he likes to count!

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:55 pm UTC

Sir, sire. Dame, dam.

Hmmmm.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

eev

Postby eev » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:53 am UTC

Realised ages ago that almost everyone has this weird hairless spot on the elbow. Just kind of around from the boney bit. I noticed it out of the blue on my friend and I just have no clue why it is there. I haven't found anyone without it, and I have no clue what causes it.
But yeah. Hairless elbow.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:42 am UTC

The word "couple". If you couple two things together, you have a couple of things. (Presumably the "amount" meaning came from the "connect" meaning.)

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
I... didn't get that one.

(I was afraid to say "catch" that one because I thought it might turn out to be a pun somehow. Now I'm paranoid of unintentional puns.

This is no way to live.)

I will make this my signature if I ever figure out how to do that.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:53 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:
I... didn't get that one.

(I was afraid to say "catch" that one because I thought it might turn out to be a pun somehow. Now I'm paranoid of unintentional puns.

This is no way to live.)

I will make this my signature if I ever figure out how to do that.

Click User Control Panel -> Profile -> Edit Signature.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:08 am UTC

Why thank you.

A while ago I figured out that the word vile is the word evil with the e at the end. :shock: Then I thought about it more and realized evil, vile, villain, villify, and *possibly* violent all had the same root. HHINNTB?
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:27 am UTC

Probably because they're not actually from the same root?

evil: Old English yfel, from Proto-Germanic *ubilaz, from Proto-Indo-European *h2/3upélos
vile: early 13c. from Anglo-Fr. and O.Fr. vile, from L. vilis
villain: used to mean a low level of serfdom and in that sense is c.1300 from Anglo-Fr. and O.Fr. villain, from M.L. villanus, from L. villa; its modern meaning came about in 1822
vilify: this one is, in fact, from the same root as vile
violent: late 13c. from Anglo-Fr. and O.Fr. violence, from L. violentia, from violentus, probably related to violare

So yeah, only two of those are really the same.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

TheChewanater

Postby TheChewanater » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:14 am UTC

deluxe = de-lux = of luxury.

I just noticed that the other day. Online etymology dictionaries seem too agree with me.
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:27 pm UTC

I would thought that would be "of light".
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:44 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I would thought that would be "of light".

I always thought "lux" was a portmanteau of "luminous" and "flux".

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:24 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Probably because they're not actually from the same root?

evil: Old English yfel, from Proto-Germanic *ubilaz, from Proto-Indo-European *h2/3upélos
villain: used to mean a low level of serfdom and in that sense is c.1300 from Anglo-Fr. and O.Fr. villain, from M.L. villanus, from L. villa; its modern meaning came about in 1822
violent: late 13c. from Anglo-Fr. and O.Fr. violence, from L. violentia, from violentus, probably related to violare

So, it's a coincidence that all of these words that seem to have the same origins have the same general connotation? I think that's insane. Not insane as in I don't believe you, but insane like things that convenient shouldn't be coincidences.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:40 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:
e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Probably because they're not actually from the same root?

So, it's a coincidence that all of these words that seem to have the same origins have the same general connotation? I think that's insane. Not insane as in I don't believe you, but insane like things that convenient shouldn't be coincidences.

English has a lot of words from various places. I think it's somewhat inevitable that those kind of coincidences will occur occasionally. Plus there are plenty of other vil- words which aren't violence-related - violin, violet, village, villa... also vial, which in modern times at least is pronounced the same as "vile".

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:43 am UTC

evil: definitely not related

vile and vilify: actually from the same root, vilis, which means more or less "cheap, worthless, base, common"

violent: came about during roughly the same time from the same languages, although from the roots violentia and violentus, meaning "vehemence, impetuosity, forcible"

villain: again, same time and languages, but villa means "country house, farm"; I haven't been able to find more details on the modern meaning switch

But, is it an accident that in the 1200s English got a bunch of French and Latin thrown in? Nope.

(Avatar by Sungura)

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

EmptySet wrote:
English has a lot of words from various places. I think it's somewhat inevitable that those kind of coincidences will occur occasionally. Plus there are plenty of other vil- words which aren't violence-related - violin, violet, village, villa... also vial, which in modern times at least is pronounced the same as "vile".

I understand that not every word with vil- or viol- is related. Not every word with bi- has something to do with 2 or halves. I just found these words that seemed to be very connected, and apparently I was wrong. I can admit that. I've learned from this.

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:53 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:The lines seem somewhat inconsitent. If you go to the page for the full phrase, you'll see that it claims it should be spelled exemplī grātiā, but on the page for e.g. it's exempli gratiā. And Dr. Diaphanous used exempli grātiā. So who knows?

Actually, the lines don't exist at all in real Latin. Neither did spaces, punctuation, or lowercase. All of these things were introduced for the sake of clarity and distinction between words or, more often, distinction between cases, especially between the ablative and dative cases, which are often the same. The use of long marks is, therefore, rather inconsistent, because there are no formal rules about how to use them. For example, generally the only time I would ever use them would be to distinguish between case endings, while others may not use them at all or use them all over the place; In poetry, due to scansion, their use may even have less to do with the word and a lot more to do with the placement of the word in the poem.
SexyTalon wrote:If it walks like a person, talks like a person, and tastes like a person, it's probably a person. Or I Can't Believe It's Not People, which cannibals prefer to Soylent Green nearly 5 to 1 in a blind taste test.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

TheChewanater wrote:deluxe = de-lux = of luxury.

I just noticed that the other day. Online etymology dictionaries seem too agree with me.

The french for "deluxe" is "de luxe", which means "of very high quality and price". (luxe = luxury)

Luxure is an older world meaning hot, sinful sex.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:41 pm UTC

Not to be confused with righteous, boring sex.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:41 pm UTC

rigwarl wrote:Not to be confused with righteous, boring sex.

WOMAN HAPPY? DOING IT WRONG

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:18 pm UTC

"Frigidaire" brand of refrigerators and freezers.

Frigid + air.

Last night was the first time I'd ever spoken it aloud and until then I'd never made that connection.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Samik

Postby Samik » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

I posted this one in a comic discussion thread once upon a time, but it definitely fits here:

One of my worst dawn-rises-over-marblehead moments was when I first realized the double meaning in that Kay Jewelers jingle: "Every kiss begins with Kay".

I always interpreted it as 'Buying things at Kay's leads to kisses'. After about a decade of hearing those stupid commercials in the background, it finally dawned on me that 'kiss' does, in fact, begin with 'k'.

Oh, also, OreIda potatoes coming from Oregon and Idaho.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:32 am UTC

Samik wrote:I posted this one in a comic discussion thread once upon a time, but it definitely fits here:

One of my worst dawn-rises-over-marblehead moments was when I first realized the double meaning in that Kay Jewelers jingle: "Every kiss begins with Kay".

I always interpreted it as 'Buying things at Kay's leads to kisses'. After about a decade of hearing those stupid commercials in the background, it finally dawned on me that 'kiss' does, in fact, begin with 'k'.
Whoa.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:53 am UTC

bluebambue wrote:
Samik wrote:I posted this one in a comic discussion thread once upon a time, but it definitely fits here:

Whoa.

... Whoa.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:04 am UTC

As a kid I heard that commercial on the radio, and told my parents "Not French kiss!"

I thought I was especially clever at the time.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

Neonate

Neo - new
Nate - born

Neonate = newborn

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:24 pm UTC

I'm operating an incredibly advanced electronic device right now, and yet my grasp of electrodynamics is flaky at best! I suddenly feel like I'm cheating at this. There's a machine which is effectively shooting beta particles at my face. I know it's something about a heated cathode in a vacuum, with magnets to control it, but quite how that forms any kind of beam I'm not sure.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:36 pm UTC

How's your knowledge of oxidative phosphoyrlation, cos you'll have been doing hat all your life with probably little to no knowledge of it at all.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:48 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:How's your knowledge of oxidative phosphoyrlation, cos you'll have been doing hat all your life with probably little to no knowledge of it at all.

That's...biochemistry?

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

Yeah, the terminal stage of Aerobic respiration.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:57 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:Yeah, the terminal stage of Aerobic respiration.

Ah well, that's okay. I only respire anaerobically. I have the worst muscle cramps though.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:57 am UTC

Ptolom wrote:I'm operating an incredibly advanced electronic device right now, and yet my grasp of electrodynamics is flaky at best! I suddenly feel like I'm cheating at this. There's a machine which is effectively shooting beta particles at my face. I know it's something about a heated cathode in a vacuum, with magnets to control it, but quite how that forms any kind of beam I'm not sure.

What device are you using that's still CRT?
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:00 am UTC

doogly wrote:
Ptolom wrote:I'm operating an incredibly advanced electronic device right now, and yet my grasp of electrodynamics is flaky at best! I suddenly feel like I'm cheating at this. There's a machine which is effectively shooting beta particles at my face. I know it's something about a heated cathode in a vacuum, with magnets to control it, but quite how that forms any kind of beam I'm not sure.

What device are you using that's still CRT?

My monitor is CRT. I got it in seventh grade. I'm.. like a year or two out of college now.

Yeahhhh I should probably buy a new monitor. This one is so much fun to degauss though!

Ser Pounce-a-lot

Re: The "How Have I Never Noticed That Before?" thread

Postby Ser Pounce-a-lot » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:49 am UTC

Detective Robert Goren (Vincent D'Onofrio) from Law and Order Criminal Intent is also Edgar from Men in Black and Gomer Pyle from Full Metal Jacket. HHINNTB?

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:47 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:This one is so much fun to degauss though!

Does it go *CLICK!* Thwonggggg ?

Mine went *CLICK!* Thwonggggg
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Return to “General”