0972: "November"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

madjo

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby madjo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:36 am UTC

I was once so stoned that I was afraid that if I wasn't aware of my breathing, I'd stop breathing and die. I didn't like that feeling. Stopped getting stoned after that.
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:49 am UTC

I have a better idea: tongue unawareness month. Try to be constantly aware of your tongue. Every time you lose that awareness, you fail.

willpellmn

Postby willpellmn » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:57 am UTC

I can't say that I've ever found awareness of my tongue, or really of anything along those lines, problematic. Self-awareness is generally a good thing, or so I'd always felt.

westrim

Postby westrim » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:14 pm UTC

Jeez, there's a lot of nasty feelings in the thread today.

Whys

Postby Whys » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:16 pm UTC

There's always meditation. One can learn to direct their attention, or not.

omac

Postby omac » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

I didn't get it, tried working out if there was a play on the sounds or something similar. Read the forum, now I get it and finally have become tongue aware. Yay! Thank-you!

Also, in trying to work out the joke, I came across something strangely similar: http://sbboard.com/2011/09/tongueawareness/

rbnielsen

Postby rbnielsen » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:47 pm UTC

So... By this logic "[insert illness] awareness week/month" is infact the cause of said illness, and thus the cure for said illness is to not declare said illness awareness week/month?

Interesting. :P

cjquines

Postby cjquines » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:54 pm UTC

Oh no! I'm aware of my tongue!

jdb-44

Postby jdb-44 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:57 pm UTC

musicgeek wrote:My first thought was "huh - recycled 'Peanuts' gag." Then I read the alt text and smiled. "Ah, 'Peanuts' homage." What I like is that it's a fairly obscure Peanuts reference - a one-off Sunday strip that had been republished in a few anthologies. Whereas most Schulz tributes by other cartoonists usually go for Snoopy's doghouse, or the football gag, or the striped shirt and/or baseball cap, Randall managed to pick something that was at once recognizable to longtime fans and completely inscrutable to others. I think that's pretty clever in its own right.

Perfectly stated. I thought the same thing when I first read the comic. I was getting ready to post, "Hey! That's been done before," and then I read the alt text.

On a side note, I kind of wish I hadn't read Peanuts so much as a kid. So much meanness in that strip (I'm looking at you, Lucy!), and poor Charlie Brown's constant failures and low self-image were sad and not the best thing for a sensitive kid to be absorbing.

Just because a features cutely-drawn kids and a funny dog, doesn't make it appropriate for kids. :)

Vnend

Postby Vnend » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:02 pm UTC

Schadenfreude wrote:Would I call this an (a? English sucks.) homage to Schulz? Not really. Randall threw it in there, yeah, but he made no effort otherwise to make it a tribute to Schulz. Ignore the alt-text. Any notable connection with Peanuts? I don't see any.

Written words are transcribed speech. The modern rule in English is to use 'an' if the following word starts with a vowel sound. If you pronounce 'homage' as "home-age", then 'a' is correct. If you pronounce it like French (where English 'borrowed' it from) "omaag", then 'an' would be correct.

See, easy!

Now try doing Renfairs and Middle Ages stuff on the side, where the rule was to use 'an' in all situations except where the following word started with 'm' or 'n'. Then go back to work on Monday. Shipping containers full of monkeys worth of fun.

I find the difference between this strip and the Peanuts strip to be one of different pacing. Both work. I think which one works best is a matter of taste, but I would like to read an objective analysis of the question that came to a different conclusion.
Last edited by Vnend on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Unclevertitle

Postby Unclevertitle » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:07 pm UTC

So... I'm tongue aware? This hardly seems any different. True normally I don't bother thinking about my tongue, but now that I am right now... yep. Nothing uncomfortable or weird. The only time I feel weird when being aware of my tongue is at the dentists office when sombody's hands are in my mouth, then it feels weird (though appropriate) to be aware of my tongue.

Mucus awareness I might understand as odd. Tongue? Nope.

asdfzxc

Postby asdfzxc » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:15 pm UTC

Also, December is Eye Awareness Month.

Vnend

Postby Vnend » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:16 pm UTC

It *is* possible to be aware of your tongue and not think about it all the time.

"Sensitivity to Mental Disquiet by "Tongue Awareness" as a Measure of Proprioception."

Sounds more like a study in The Journal of Irreproducible Results quoted by the Onion than something someone would actually write. But, hey, if someone does, they have another comic they can cite now!

hdhale

Postby hdhale » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:53 pm UTC

Classic strip "Linus becomes aware of his tongue" aside, if you go back and look at a fair sampling of Peanuts cartoons, you'll see a lot of wagging tongues. Who could forget "ACK! dog germs!!!" after all. :)

Oktalist

Postby Oktalist » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:33 pm UTC

Schadenfreude wrote:Would I call this an (a? English sucks.) homage to Schulz?

Whether it's "a" or "an" depends on whether or not you pronounce the "h" of homage.
philip1201 wrote:Not everything which maps countable infinities onto finite areas is a Lovecraft reference.

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:46 pm UTC

Maybe, it's only me but try this one.

Imagine a cube in your mouth, like a small die.
Can you roll it around on you tongue and feel it?
Now stop imagining it.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:06 pm UTC

I'm quite happy this comic was a "rip off" otherwise I would have never read the peanuts strip...

And here is a thought is it awareness of your tongue or awareness of all tounges? I'm always freaked out when I notice other people's ears; or perhaps different tongues like those of cats.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

mhoram100

Postby mhoram100 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:25 pm UTC

Frankly, anyone uncomfortable with the shape, feeling, texture, size and disposition of their tongue hasn't found enough fun uses for it.

Proprioception is happiness.

BingsF

Postby BingsF » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:12 pm UTC

Wow SpringLoaded12 just shut up, that was so stupid i'm embarassed FOR you. What the hell is a forum for but to talk about a comic.
And your egregious and eye-opening use of basic font-modifying functions just serves to make you sound like a real douchebag would if he were actually saying those words.

bigjeff5

Postby bigjeff5 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:15 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:I'm quite happy this comic was a "rip off" otherwise I would have never read the peanuts strip...

Ditto.

I tried googling it on my own, using several different queries with no success.

I was never really a Peanuts fan, but the original was pretty funny, and Randall's kinda relies on it, or at least a sympathetic reaction to being aware of certain body parts that one usually isn't aware of.

I think theft is the exact opposite of Randall did here - he basically said "Hey, look! This is a funny joke! You should check out the guy who did it first!"

That's the inference I drew, anyway, and as someone who'd never read the Peanuts strip before I'd to think that counts for something.

blkballoon925

Postby blkballoon925 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:32 pm UTC

Wow... xkcd is getting really obscure. As if everyone here would have happened to read the exact Peanuts comic that was being referenced here, because if you hadn't you would have no idea what the point of the comic is. Even now that I know, it's still not that funny. I miss when xkcd used to reference real Internet memes, science, and technology.

saturn_adrift

Postby saturn_adrift » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:35 pm UTC

Post by Dave
Being aware of your breathing is more annoying, because if you try to stop thinking about breathing in and then breathing out, you end up holding your breathe. This, to me, is more annoying than thinking about my tongue, and by typing it out I have just started thinking about it.

Damn.

Dave
-----------------------------
Post by Red Hal
I'd like to help you with that but, I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

I set up a forum account just so I could tell you how much I heart this particular response. Thank you for a literal LOL, Red Hal!

forbiddenSpell

Postby forbiddenSpell » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

You are now aware that there is no comfortable place in your mouth for your tongue.

You are now breathing manually.

You are now blinking manually.

Willl

Postby Willl » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

I hadn't seen the Peanuts strip, but I thought this was almost self-evidently a joke about Movember... yet nobody seems to have touched on this? I assumed the joke was that every time Stick Man sees someone who's growing a ridiculous moustache, instead of becoming more aware of prostate cancer he will become aware of his tongue and freak out like Linus.

Just me?

WhiteDragon

Postby WhiteDragon » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:02 pm UTC

meh, I am aware of my tongue, but it doesn't bug me like it does Linus.

WhiteDragon

Postby WhiteDragon » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

Willl wrote:I hadn't seen the Peanuts strip, but I thought this was almost self-evidently a joke about Movember... yet nobody seems to have touched on this? I assumed the joke was that every time Stick Man sees someone who's growing a ridiculous moustache, instead of becoming more aware of prostate cancer he will become aware of his tongue and freak out like Linus.

Just me?

Good call, I forgot about "Movember" :-D

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:09 pm UTC

This strip bothered me, until I tried visualizing whirled peas. Now I'm fine again.

And no, the pink elephants don't bother me, as long as they stay on their side of the room.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Tyrannosaur

Postby Tyrannosaur » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:32 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:I have a better idea: tongue unawareness month. Try to be constantly aware of your tongue. Every time you lose that awareness, you fail.

sounds like your self esteem. and 5 dollars. or whatever it is... ( ;) )
djessop wrote:The t-shirt should read "There are 11 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who insist the number above is pronounced as eleven no matter what base you're in".

veritascs

Postby veritascs » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

westrim wrote:Jeez, there's a lot of nasty feelings in the thread today.

Agreed. This comic is great, BHG doing his thang!

People should consider themselves lucky if this comic doesn't make them squirm (in their head, that is).

hatten

Postby hatten » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:Maybe, it's only me but try this one.

Imagine a cube in your mouth, like a small die.
Can you roll it around on you tongue and feel it?
Now stop imagining it.

this one was good

440_Magnum

Postby 440_Magnum » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

Been reading for years, but "November" was the comic that made me sign up to the discussion board. BRAVO!! I loved it. Having read "Peanuts Treasury" as a kid in the late 60s (and reading it to my daughter in the 90s), I got it immediately.

But now the little gap between my lower front teeth is driving me NUTS.

doomvox

Postby doomvox » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:57 pm UTC

My first thought was that this was a bit stolen from "How to Speak Hip" (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/How_to_Speak_Hip), an "album by Del Close and John Brent, released by Mercury Records in 1959", in which, as an example of a "hang-up" our beatnik instructor asks the straight interviewer if he's ever thought about how large his tongue is.

I'm not sure whether Del Close and John Brent got to this bit before Charles Schultz, but I suspect so. Peanuts started in 1950, but this strip looks like some of his later humor, to my eye. In any case, any way you look at it, this bit has been "stolen" before.

Someone at WFMU has put up some mp3s of the album: http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/CM/HowToSpeakHip/Del_Close_John_Brent_-_06_The_Hang_Up_-_How_To_Speak_Hip.mp3

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:32 pm UTC

I think sentient tongues are incredibly creepy.

Eogan

Postby Eogan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

Read the comic, got the joke, wondered if such a simple joke (and such a subtle move on BH's part) is really all that Randall intended. Read the alt-text and instantly recognized the concept as being a Peanuts gag involving Lucy even though I didn't know the specific comic. Came to the forums to laugh at all the people that were going to be so pissed off that Randall did something he found amusing.

Greatest irony of the day? People getting angry about someone telling a joke that's been told before.

November is Be an Douchebag Ironically month.

cream wobbly

Postby cream wobbly » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:49 pm UTC

Schadenfreude wrote:Generally, it is wise to not cite your source when you steal a joke.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nM44tDCLKFk/TfvJ-EDJNMI/AAAAAAAAAn8/cgQmWyaZ50Y/s1600/linus-and-lucy.jpg

And yes, it is stolen. The joke is far from universal (unlike, say, a joke about superheroes wearing their underwear on the outside of their pants). Schulz did it better.

Ah, thank you for explaining the joke that Randall couldn't.

Edit: This is the same thing as people who hear some gruesome or lewd description, and cannot get it out of their mind, sort of like a waking nightmare. I lost that "feature" pretty much once I stopped having vivid (sleeping) nightmares.

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

[deleted]
Last edited by hotaru on Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

Volbla

Postby Volbla » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:23 pm UTC

blkballoon925 wrote:Wow... xkcd is getting really obscure. As if everyone here would have happened to read the exact Peanuts comic that was being referenced here, because if you hadn't you would have no idea what the point of the comic is. Even now that I know, it's still not that funny. I miss when xkcd used to reference real Internet memes, science, and technology.

I don't see why there has to be a point at all. I just saw this as Hat guy being a general dick like usual, which is always amusing.

Tyrannosaur

Postby Tyrannosaur » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:32 pm UTC

Volbla wrote:
blkballoon925 wrote:Wow... xkcd is getting really obscure. As if everyone here would have happened to read the exact Peanuts comic that was being referenced here, because if you hadn't you would have no idea what the point of the comic is. Even now that I know, it's still not that funny. I miss when xkcd used to reference real Internet memes, science, and technology.

I don't see why there has to be a point at all. I just saw this as Hat guy being a general dick like usual, which is always amusing.

Exactly. In fact I think it's more boring when xkcd is less obscure- the "getting most of it, but needing to look up some things" keeps it interesting in my opinion.
djessop wrote:The t-shirt should read "There are 11 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who insist the number above is pronounced as eleven no matter what base you're in".

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:48 pm UTC

This is actually terribly true for me, since I got my braces on on October 31st. (I hate my parents, btw, for choosing /that date/ for the appointment. Ugh.) So... kind of "whole mouth awareness" month for me.
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

Lerkistan

Postby Lerkistan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:38 pm UTC

Schadenfreude wrote:Schulz did do better. (e-pen stuff)
(other stuff)
Any notable connection with Peanuts? I don't see any.

Kidding? The whole strip only works as a follow up to the Peanuts comic. It wouldn't make SENSE without prior knowledge of the Peanut comic. How is that not a "notable connection"?

And how can a referential gag be done better by the referred gag? Is Schulz homageing to himself often?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”