Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

You, sir, name?

Re: Minecraft

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:32 pm UTC

Which server are you guys playing on? Of the list in the OP, the only server I can see as online is psion's, which is always empty.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Okay. About an hour long expedition into the Bling Cave. It's almost completely illuminated now. Over 150 iron ores mined. 10 diamonds. I saw about 75 obsidian blocks. Also ridiculous quantities of redstone. I crafted a hat out of solid gold to show off my material wealth.

You should've made the golden pantaloons.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:01 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Which server are you guys playing on? Of the list in the OP, the only server I can see as online is psion's, which is always empty.

You need to get whitelisted to use ST's server, and most of us are there (although many also have real estate on psion's as well).
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:08 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Okay. About an hour long expedition into the Bling Cave. It's almost completely illuminated now. Over 150 iron ores mined. 10 diamonds. I saw about 75 obsidian blocks. Also ridiculous quantities of redstone. I crafted a hat out of solid gold to show off my material wealth.

Contest idea:
Bring me pants to build a mech. You will need:
1xGold leggings
1xIron leggings
1xChain leggings
(modstaff can't win. Boo.)

I say this without knowing if chain still spawns, but assuming it doesn't. So I'll probably start hiding chain pieces all over.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

Steax wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Which server are you guys playing on? Of the list in the OP, the only server I can see as online is psion's, which is always empty.

You need to get whitelisted to use ST's server, and most of us are there (although many also have real estate on psion's as well).

Oh. How do I join this white list?

I promise I won't make a gigantic trollface out of obsidian covered by tiles of water and gravel hovering at an altitude of 126 on top of the spawn point.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:14 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:

Contest idea:
Bring me pants to build a mech. You will need:
1xGold leggings
1xIron leggings
1xChain leggings
(modstaff can't win. Boo.)

I say this without knowing if chain still spawns, but assuming it doesn't. So I'll probably start hiding chain pieces all over.

give me 20 of item #51 and I can do that. :D
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:03 pm UTC

First hunger killed me, then my daughter ran me into Zombies. I'll never get to 1.8-land :(

I can't even remember why I want to go there, except I think biomes are bigger, so I'm more likely to find a large enough body of water.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:20 pm UTC

Hmm, everybody else seems to be making kingdoms, so I shall officially declare mine.

Announcing the kingdom of Thanatos!!! (and yes, I know exactly what that means. If you've seen me on the server you know it's fitting.)

I officially claim the mountains near my cave and grand palace, as well as the forest. Visitors are welcome, as long as they don't screw things up. Also I should note that there currently may not actually be a way to get to said palace without throwing random dirt piles all over the place, or a way to get down except for jumping and hoping the water where you land is deep enough.

Also Enokh, there appears to be a large sea just southwest of Thanatos. What do you need a large body of water for?
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Gatchaman

Postby Gatchaman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:41 pm UTC

As far as kingdoms go, I'm the only active inhabitant of Cactusville (Aka Cactus County, Cacti Island etc), so I'm in charge of that! It''s the little area sticking off Narnia Mainland.

Buuut.. I'm not really that bothered about external politics (and I spend most of my time out of the county), so I'm happy being Jaho's sidekick. =P I'll run maintainance on the cacti, keep 'em from getting out of control, look after the chapel etc., but if there are any wars or anything, we count as part of Narnia! (Still separate for any sporting events though, like Wales & England for rugby =P) Looking forward to the Server Olympics, whenever someone figures out what events we could have.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:47 pm UTC

Meem1029 wrote:Also Enokh, there appears to be a large sea just southwest of Thanatos. What do you need a large body of water for?

I like to build on top of water (like, right on the surface). I've a mental imaged of a castle, but other than that, who knows!

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:38 am UTC

If anyone wants to visit me, my new house is on top of a giant mountain of water. Yes, I flooded an entire mountain for fun. It's going to be flooded even better in the future (after I do my math homework). Anyway, my coordinates are something like x:1250, z:6500. Just go to Scallel's village and go directlyish southwest until you see a giant mountain that is covered in water. You should see a forest on your left. Just past the mountain there's another mountain with trees and torches on top.

Edit: Thinking of it, I should plant trees on the corners of my castle. So many things to do...
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:14 am UTC

Gatchaman wrote:As far as kingdoms go, I'm the only active inhabitant of Cactusville (Aka Cactus County, Cacti Island etc), so I'm in charge of that! It''s the little area sticking off Narnia Mainland.

Buuut.. I'm not really that bothered about external politics (and I spend most of my time out of the county), so I'm happy being Jaho's sidekick. =P I'll run maintainance on the cacti, keep 'em from getting out of control, look after the chapel etc., but if there are any wars or anything, we count as part of Narnia! (Still separate for any sporting events though, like Wales & England for rugby =P) Looking forward to the Server Olympics, whenever someone figures out what events we could have.

Events for server Olympics: Arena laps at Mr Moses's stadium
Archery Competition once I get around to building a thing for it (would it be pvp or pv skeletons? I don't know yet)
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:40 am UTC

chain.png
*cough*
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:43 am UTC

Meem1029 wrote:If anyone wants to visit me, my new house is on top of a giant mountain of water. Yes, I flooded an entire mountain for fun. It's going to be flooded even better in the future (after I do my math homework). Anyway, my coordinates are something like x:1250, z:6500. Just go to Scallel's village and go directlyish southwest until you see a giant mountain that is covered in water. You should see a forest on your left. Just past the mountain there's another mountain with trees and torches on top.

Edit: Thinking of it, I should plant trees on the corners of my castle. So many things to do...

I'm a-coming! Assuming it's alright for me to build on that ocean/lake, otherwise I'll just head off a little bit and build relatively nearish to you and Scallel. Who are you in Minecraft, btw?

EDIT: Oh, holy crap, that ocean is HUGE! And will do quite nicely. I'll start building tonight, but I'll make sure I'm a bit out of rendering distance (with the distance set to far).

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:04 am UTC

since it seems like the thing to do, I might as well establish myself as the city-state of New Pigsyville. It's the castle southwest of spawn, with the lava moat.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:21 am UTC

It indeed is perfectly fine to build on the ocean. You may want to stay a bit away from the mountains though as I've had a habit lately (read: in the past couple hours) of flooding mountains because I can. And my minecraft name is also meem1029. You quite possibly haven't seen me on since I was on once about a month ago and then only in the last couple of days.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:29 am UTC

Sounds good! I've got a little platform going, with some wheat and trees planted. If you have a rail system going somewhere, I'll likely build one that goes from mine to yours. I noticed that there was a Nether Portal at Scallel's place, but didn't peek in. Is it connected to the Nether Trolly?

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:52 am UTC

It should be as soon as Steax or I feel like making it. Oh and you can't claim the land near my village as part of your kingdom. I say this due to the fact that though we may be a small village, we are actually a colony of the Great Helios. Meaning we will fight you with the full power of Helios, Y18, and the Transdimensional Nether Force. However, i am more than willing to build a road and rail to you provided you become a trading partner. And ask everyone, im a good person to trade with. Well except Roosevelt. Don't ask him.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:17 am UTC

A short blag: So I'm riding a minecart to my outpost stop in order to lay down some more cobble sky, when I come to a premature end of the line:
Spoiler:
2011-11-02_17.21.59.png
I *tried* to stop!
That is all.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:25 am UTC

Idea -

December 1st, 0:00 hours EST (So I stay up to Midnight. Big deal), the world/nether folders are renamed/moved to a secure location. From December 1st to December 25th at 0:00 hours, everyone builds a structure/object/*thing* on a brand new map where they start naked and screaming.

The best *thing* as agreed upon by myself, blalobw, Monkey and Roosevelt, gets Ops from Jan 1st to Jan 31st. So, a month of the /give command and /tp or something. A Nether Gate will be constructed at 0,whatever,0. Just in case.

Pros? Cons? (Con 1 - I'm volunteering three people without asking them first)

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:46 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Pros? Cons? (Con 1 - I'm volunteering three people without asking them first)

Pros:
- You are voluntelling 3 people without asking them first :twisted:
- I get to try my hand at a new world
- We may start somewhere cool
- Full release

Cons:
- We may start in a swamp
- No initial stuff (we could set up a big communal farm though, near spawn)
-

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:07 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:the world/nether folders are renamed/moved to a secure location.

You can just change the "level-name" field in the config file. That makes the server create/read the new "level-name" value as its folder name for the save file and ignore the other folder.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:26 am UTC

Scallel wrote:It should be as soon as Steax or I feel like making it. Oh and you can't claim the land near my village as part of your kingdom. I say this due to the fact that though we may be a small village, we are actually a colony of the Great Helios. Meaning we will fight you with the full power of Helios, Y18, and the Transdimensional Nether Force. However, i am more than willing to build a road and rail to you provided you become a trading partner. And ask everyone, im a good person to trade with. Well except Roosevelt. Don't ask him.

I wasn't really planning on doing any sort of "kingdom" stuff. Just wanted to make things. Once I get my semi-autofarms up and running, I'd be glad to just straight give people stuff, and trade things I don't want for things you don't want. As I've mentioned, I'm a redstone addict, so you'll be able to pretty much get anything from me if you offer up redstone.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:43 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Idea -
December 1st, 0:00 hours EST (So I stay up to Midnight. Big deal), the world/nether folders are renamed/moved to a secure location. From December 1st to December 25th at 0:00 hours, everyone builds a structure/object/*thing* on a brand new map where they start naked and screaming.

The best *thing* as agreed upon by myself, blalobw, Monkey and Roosevelt, gets Ops from Jan 1st to Jan 31st. So, a month of the /give command and /tp or something. A Nether Gate will be constructed at 0,whatever,0. Just in case.

Con: I won't be able to make progress on my own project for a bit, and during a month when I have some hopes of extra slack time from the office. I hate to lose momentum. Also, /give makes me a bit uneasy, but it *is* the month of Raptor Santa Xristos.

Too, the world really matters to me. I'd be a bit scared every moment it was locked away. 0_0 Please be well backed up, world.

Pros: Naked and screaming? Community project? Cooperation? Bragging rights? All sounds like fun! IMHO, If we do this we ought decide on our project soon! (or have it decided for us.)

I am ambivalent. I'll be relieved if the status quo server remains, and excited if we make a temporary switch.

Edit: My reading comprehension wasn't all that high, and I didn't see:
SecondTalon wrote:The best *thing* as agreed upon by myself, blalobw, Monkey and Roosevelt, gets Ops from Jan 1st to Jan 31st
so yeah, much of what I said later was sillier than usual, even.
Last edited by Feylias on Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:54 am UTC

Ooh, can we have teams? Though only the team captain would get ops, of course...

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:49 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Idea -

Cons: We can't play on the server for a month. I don't care about /give options, I just want to continue building the stuff I'm working on, especially since I have lots of free time over winter break.

In other news, I've completed the pilot tunnel for the western extension of the old Castle railway. I've left a tall cobblestone pillar to the NE of your floating house, visible from the tower and marked at the top with torches to mark the surface point of the rail line. I suggest leading it into your house; I'll help expand it this weekend.

TODOs:
  • widen tunnel, and make it taller all the way to spawn so you can get out without hurting yourself
  • Lay track
  • Power track
  • Build interchanges

Steax: Will you (and anyone else in the area west of my castle) join me in founding the Impenetrable Kingdoms? (or another, better name) I suggest we make your floating village the capital, and my castle will guard the eastern border against the savages from Narnia and Pigsyville.

Next projects could include a wall along that border, if we felt like it.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:35 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Idea -

Cons: We can't play on the server for a month. I don't care about /give options, I just want to continue building the stuff I'm working on, especially since I have lots of free time over winter break.

In other news, I've completed the pilot tunnel for the western extension of the old Castle railway. I've left a tall cobblestone pillar to the NE of your floating house, visible from the tower and marked at the top with torches to mark the surface point of the rail line. I suggest leading it into your house; I'll help expand it this weekend.

TODOs:
  • widen tunnel, and make it taller all the way to spawn so you can get out without hurting yourself
  • Lay track
  • Power track
  • Build interchanges

Steax: Will you (and anyone else in the area west of my castle) join me in founding the Impenetrable Kingdoms? (or another, better name) I suggest we make your floating village the capital, and my castle will guard the eastern border against the savages from Narnia and Pigsyville.

I would like to join you guys, if you guys don't mind. I have great building ideas in mind.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:38 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Pros? Cons? (Con 1 - I'm volunteering three people without asking them first)

Are there going to be any limitations in place, or are you planning more of a free for all in terms of territory, supplies, alliances and griefing?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:45 am UTC

I think I'm assigning myself the position of transportation engineer. I just have too much fun building bridges, tunnels, walkways and minecart routes to be healthy. If anyone needs a hand in building something like so, please let me know.

SecondTalon wrote:December 1st, 0:00 hours EST (So I stay up to Midnight. Big deal), the world/nether folders are renamed/moved to a secure location. From December 1st to December 25th at 0:00 hours, everyone builds a structure/object/*thing* on a brand new map where they start naked and screaming.

I'm kind of against, since I have so much I still want to build. How about setting a plot of land aside for this purpose - to prevent resource unfairness, all structures must be made of wood-based materials or cobble/smooth/brickstone or glass. Most buildings on the server are made of these materials anyway. We can even keep the land afterwards - it'll be like some sort of world fair, where everyone brings a piece of their culture together.

Scallel wrote:It should be as soon as Steax or I feel like making it. Oh and you can't claim the land near my village as part of your kingdom. I say this due to the fact that though we may be a small village, we are actually a colony of the Great Helios. Meaning we will fight you with the full power of Helios, Y18, and the Transdimensional Nether Force. However, i am more than willing to build a road and rail to you provided you become a trading partner. And ask everyone, im a good person to trade with. Well except Roosevelt. Don't ask him.

I will begin building the track once I have enough supplies to fully fortify your pathway. We will need only about 6 stacks of iron for the railway, and half a stack of powered rail. I'd be happy to lend my track-building technology. Should it connect to the Nether Station, or would you like an independent station?

You, sir, name? wrote:Oh. How do I join this white list?

Simply place your ingame name here, and one of the ops will take care of it for you. Be sure you offer them some sort of sacrificial offering as well.

Meteorswarm wrote:In other news, I've completed the pilot tunnel for the western extension of the old Castle railway. I've left a tall cobblestone pillar to the NE of your floating house, visible from the tower and marked at the top with torches to mark the surface point of the rail line. I suggest leading it into your house; I'll help expand it this weekend.

TODOs:
  • Lay track
  • Power track
  • Build interchanges

I'll happily join such a union of kingdoms. Thing is, I haven't got a name for my place, so I'll have to think of one. Piman1 also has a sort of nuclear bunker just west of your castle (if you visit the current station on the Skyway, it will land down near his place). I'm sure we will have more neighbors here soon, too. I'll examine your surface marker, and do the math to find the best connection point. Have you seen the completed walkway?

Several... xkcdia kingdom spokespeople have already discussed the possibility of long-range ballistic superweapons. With no intent of escalating this into a war (as have already seen several kingdoms retreat into further lands, who knows what they're using those resources for), we should be watchful.

Also, there are a number of cobble buildings on the islands to the west, there are existing structures south of the skyway, and Carlo has a house north of me (which he may or may not make his primary). Expansion seems to be in order.

Kid, join us!

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:47 am UTC

I'm... not sure. I both think that it's a really cool idea, even without the prize, and also think that I still want to do stuff on normalserver. What if we just went out to the x/z 10ks and started out in woop woop? Would be better in my opinion (which doesn't count for much :P)

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:53 am UTC

Gatchaman wrote:As far as kingdoms go, I'm the only active inhabitant of Cactusville (Aka Cactus County, Cacti Island etc), so I'm in charge of that! It''s the little area sticking off Narnia Mainland.

Also, you get to use the title 'Duke'.

As for the Nether Trolley. I think the farthest it goes in the 1.8 lands is to Scallel's lava wall place. Well, technically it goes all the way out to Narnia South, which then pops up into pretty much the 1.8 lands, but not the one people are at, plus I'm kind of saving exploring there for 1.9.

That and the Nether Trolley is a bit temperamental and still needs some anti-pigmen upgrades. Though, if you bring your own minecart it probably works a bit better. There's also the problem of it not being labeled.

I just don't have the time to really work on it.

Also, I'm not a big fan of the idea as I generally play on the server because that's where my projects are. Not having them gives me a bit less incentive to stop by. Though, given I have two degree papers I promised to have first drafts done by the first week of the next semester, that may not be a bad thing. Unless, you desperately want to help me build my entire paper on the Tea Party and Post-Modernism in minecraft. I'm sure it'll only take a few thousand signs.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:08 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Idea -

TODOs:
  • Lay track
  • Power track
  • Build interchanges

Re: all the way to spawn

No. Not spawn. Please not spawn. Bad things happen when people do rail maintenance at spawn. :shock:

In all seriousness, if you do bore in that direction, please bear in mind that spawn is essentially underwater, and the Mob Spawner/ Garden rail floods VERY easily.

Also, if you tear out the glowstone lighting, can I get it back? Cost a fortune, it did.

Also also, Xkcadia is a state, not a kingdom. Well, technically, it's a semi-autonomous territorial possession unilaterally managed by a temporally-displaced former head of state. But hey, we still get a (non-voting) representative in the House and the full support of the US military. And we don't pay income tax!

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:02 am UTC

I forgot how tedious gathering resources can be. Especially when you have an idea & your just want to build!
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:18 am UTC

FINALLY started building my Sandcastle (Which needs a name starting in Hex, suggestions?), and I have some photos here. Wish there was a better way to farm pine, but I should be fine for now.

Spoiler:

I've got heaps of cobble, but I'll probably bake it and turn it into stone bricks for paths. It's actually a pretty cool project, and is being build much quicker than I expected. 64x64 ain't so big after all! :D

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:28 pm UTC

So, built a shaft from my floating island to the ocean floor and proceeded to mine. 4 blocks down I ran into abandoned mineshafts, and oh man. 1) Free train tracks. 2)Goddamned cave spiders. I almost immediately ran into a monster spawner for them and had to block them off. they're easy to kill, but that poison crap is crazy.

Thankfully, my bed is literally right at the top of my ocean shaft, so I think I lost a single iron pickaxe in all the times I died last night. I'm thinking about making several checkpoint beds as I mine, that way I spawn right near where I died.

Does anyone know how far away Nether Gates have to be in order to not overlap and cause teleportation weirdness with other Gates?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:55 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:So, built a shaft from my floating island to the ocean floor and proceeded to mine. 4 blocks down I ran into abandoned mineshafts, and oh man. 1) Free train tracks. 2)Goddamned cave spiders. I almost immediately ran into a monster spawner for them and had to block them off. they're easy to kill, but that poison crap is crazy.

Thankfully, my bed is literally right at the top of my ocean shaft, so I think I lost a single iron pickaxe in all the times I died last night. I'm thinking about making several checkpoint beds as I mine, that way I spawn right near where I died.

Does anyone know how far away Nether Gates have to be in order to not overlap and cause teleportation weirdness with other Gates?

As far as I know, zero, provided other portals were built with precision. Portals will actively look for the closest possible portal when someone walks in, so as long as other people's portals match closely with their corresponding ones, you can make them as close as you'd reasonably like.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:06 pm UTC

I'm working at the same ocean Meem was talking about. Can I ask that people keep things out of the area of the forest and associated shoreline?

Also, there is now a rail line to my (and Scallel's) section of the 1.8 lands. It's connected to the nether trolley too, just don't choose a place to go and that's where it'll send you (I'm sorry if I messed anything up in there). I know Scallel didn't want that to be there, but he's not the only one living there anymore. So we get infrastructure.

I love the idea of the contest , mainly because I think I could win :roll:
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:21 pm UTC

Steax wrote:
Meteorswarm wrote:In other news, I've completed the pilot tunnel for the western extension of the old Castle railway. I've left a tall cobblestone pillar to the NE of your floating house, visible from the tower and marked at the top with torches to mark the surface point of the rail line. I suggest leading it into your house; I'll help expand it this weekend.

TODOs:
  • Lay track
  • Power track
  • Build interchanges

I'll happily join such a union of kingdoms. Thing is, I haven't got a name for my place, so I'll have to think of one. Piman1 also has a sort of nuclear bunker just west of your castle (if you visit the current station on the Skyway, it will land down near his place). I'm sure we will have more neighbors here soon, too. I'll examine your surface marker, and do the math to find the best connection point. Have you seen the completed walkway?

Several... xkcdia kingdom spokespeople have already discussed the possibility of long-range ballistic superweapons. With no intent of escalating this into a war (as have already seen several kingdoms retreat into further lands, who knows what they're using those resources for), we should be watchful.

Also, there are a number of cobble buildings on the islands to the west, there are existing structures south of the skyway, and Carlo has a house north of me (which he may or may not make his primary). Expansion seems to be in order.

Kid, join us!

Great, I'm glad you approve. Feel free to take any iron or gold from my castle stores if you need it to extend the rail, I have several stacks of gold bars. I *have* seen the completed walkway, but I think that walkways are for walking, not rails, and I'd like to see it unmarred by railway.

Additionally, the castle is due north of Xkcdia. Using my piston expertise, it would be easy to hide something in the walls...

Roosevelt wrote:Re: all the way to spawn

No. Not spawn. Please not spawn. Bad things happen when people do rail maintenance at spawn. :shock:

In all seriousness, if you do bore in that direction, please bear in mind that spawn is essentially underwater, and the Mob Spawner/ Garden rail floods VERY easily.

I'll leave the integration to someone who knows it better then. That's an independent step from the rest anyway, and can be done later, although I don't like having to walk through walkerm's house to get to the rail every time. His house is very confusing.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

Thing is, I already expanded the walkway sufficiently for rail use. It's also dual-railed, which means you can safely stand on one side, and you'll see any carts traveling in your direction. I am also implementing note blocks to warn pedestrians when a cart is approaching. I believe I've tried hard to avoid disfiguring of the walkway for rail purposes, too. Stations are only 1 block higher than the walkway fences. If necessary, though, we can extend the walkway further (say, 9 blocks wide) and add a separator for pedestrians.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Steax wrote:
Enokh wrote:So, built a shaft from my floating island to the ocean floor and proceeded to mine. 4 blocks down I ran into abandoned mineshafts, and oh man. 1) Free train tracks. 2)Goddamned cave spiders. I almost immediately ran into a monster spawner for them and had to block them off. they're easy to kill, but that poison crap is crazy.

As far as I know, zero, provided other portals were built with precision. Portals will actively look for the closest possible portal when someone walks in, so as long as other people's portals match closely with their corresponding ones, you can make them as close as you'd reasonably like.

I did some google research and according to most, portals need to be approx. 1028 blocks away from each other on the Overworld in order to prevent them from associating with the same Nether-side portal.

Josephine wrote:I'm working at the same ocean Meem was talking about. Can I ask that people keep things out of the area of the forest and associated shoreline?

We're neighbors! I'm only going to be building on the ocean itself, so the forest and shoreline are safe from me. I only have the platform for what I'm building, so it's hard to see from a distance. I don't know how close we'll be, as that ocean is absolutely gigantic, but I can't imagine we won't be able to work something out. I'm not going to be doing any huge/annoying projects, just a little castle-island, so there's that.

I probably wouldn't join in on the contest (not a lot of spare time), but I certainly wouldn't object to any temp server changes in order to facilitate it. Not like I'm paying for the server!

Return to “Gaming”