Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
M1k3_Nix
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:19 pm UTC
Location: Plymouth

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby M1k3_Nix » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:51 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:What's a DP?

Display Picture

Edit: Ninja'd
SlyReaper wrote:You shouldn't poke fun at a German's sense of humour like that. A German joke is no laughing matter.


"Simply because you can breathe, doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live"

User avatar
Kick
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:24 am UTC
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Kick » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

Just failed (or did very poorly) on my first exam in college. To make matters worse, it was a math exam, and to make matters even worse (in my own head), it was Algebra I. Math was my favorite subject in High School and I did fairly well, and took up to advanced calculus and trigonometry, but for some reason I just struggled this semester with Algebra I. Sure, a lot of shit happened and I missed a few classes, and a lot of homework, and even some quizzes, and I went into the exam today knowing I was going to do poorly, but I still feel bad about it.

Whatever, que sera sera.
I'm never sarcastic.

Drumheller769
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 7:46 pm UTC
Location: ♞♞♞

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Drumheller769 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:31 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:50 megabit fiber optic broadband. One of the fastest internet connections available in this country. And it stuggles to stream things on iPlayer.



The fastest internet I can get is a 3G wireless connection through Millenicom that piggybacks off of Verizon cell towers. Why, you ask? Because any of the hard wired internet providers in my area want to charge me $52,000 to run their lines another .6 miles. I have to wait 5 minutes to watch anything on youtube at the lowest resolution. And the funny thing is, back in like 08' I think VP Biden gave a speech at the local highschool about getting broadband to rural areas.

I realize you are across the ocean, but I just wanted to rant about the internet...I tried to have a friend over this weekend to play some video games....and we lagged so badly, it was not fun.
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.

Ghostbear
Posts: 1764
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ghostbear » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:40 pm UTC

Kick wrote:Just failed (or did very poorly) on my first exam in college. To make matters worse, it was a math exam, and to make matters even worse (in my own head), it was Algebra I. Math was my favorite subject in High School and I did fairly well, and took up to advanced calculus and trigonometry, but for some reason I just struggled this semester with Algebra I. Sure, a lot of shit happened and I missed a few classes, and a lot of homework, and even some quizzes, and I went into the exam today knowing I was going to do poorly, but I still feel bad about it.

Whatever, que sera sera.

For what it's worth, the hardest math class I took in college was Precalc. Everything else- Calc I and Calc II, engineering statistics, 3D calculus and that other one I can't remember the name of that included Laplace transforms- was an easier class. From talking to others I think this might not have just been limited to the university I went to either. The way the class was structured and graded just made it impossible to come out of a test feeling like you did well, even though the actually math-y bits aren't really that bad. Don't worry about it too much :)!

edit: typo.
Last edited by Ghostbear on Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Garm
Posts: 2241
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:29 pm UTC
Location: Usually at work. Otherwise, Longmont, CO.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Garm » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:55 pm UTC

Kick wrote:Just failed (or did very poorly) on my first exam in college. To make matters worse, it was a math exam, and to make matters even worse (in my own head), it was Algebra I. Math was my favorite subject in High School and I did fairly well, and took up to advanced calculus and trigonometry, but for some reason I just struggled this semester with Algebra I. Sure, a lot of shit happened and I missed a few classes, and a lot of homework, and even some quizzes, and I went into the exam today knowing I was going to do poorly, but I still feel bad about it.

Whatever, que sera sera.


I ended up taking Calc II, three times. I have a degree in math. Don't be too discouraged. Go talk to the Prof/Teacher and spend some time at office hours. The first semester of college is super rough. Best advice I ever received was to go to office hours, even if you don't need help. Since you do, now's the time to go.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Jave D » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:03 am UTC

I am sick. I am afflicted! My nose runneth. Lo, my head aches; it aches like a throbbing anvil under the hammer of God. I produce slime and snot: my nostrils are like the open sores of a prostitute. I am weakened and my nights are filled with groaning!

User avatar
Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:28 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Chaoszerom » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:13 am UTC

Jave D wrote:I am sick. I am afflicted! My nose runneth. Lo, my head aches; it aches like a throbbing anvil under the hammer of God. I produce slime and snot: my nostrils are like the open sores of a prostitute. I am weakened and my nights are filled with groaning!

This is quite possibly the most dramatic way of saying that one has a cold/other illness that I have ever heard. Bravo, sir/ma'am!

On a similar note, I had a cold recently, and it sucked. Hope you get better soon!

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:20 am UTC

I had a PT test this morning. It seems that every time I have to do some sort of timed run, I end up coughing for most of the day afterward.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

User avatar
Ashlah
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ashlah » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:13 am UTC

^My mom has that same issue. But it's more like she has a horrific cold, sometimes for a few days. She's talked to doctors about whether there's some sort of "allergy" to physical exertion, or if it could be some sort of weird type of asthma, but they all tell her she's just out of shape (which she likely is. But it still seems like an extreme reaction.)

User avatar
yurell
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby yurell » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:27 am UTC

Same thing happens with me, only it tends to go on for a lot longer than a day and the cough is louder than my old school choir (~300 people).
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Jave D » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:54 am UTC

Chaoszerom wrote:
Jave D wrote:I am sick. I am afflicted! My nose runneth. Lo, my head aches; it aches like a throbbing anvil under the hammer of God. I produce slime and snot: my nostrils are like the open sores of a prostitute. I am weakened and my nights are filled with groaning!

This is quite possibly the most dramatic way of saying that one has a cold/other illness that I have ever heard. Bravo, sir/ma'am!

On a similar note, I had a cold recently, and it sucked. Hope you get better soon!

Thanks! And actually I already do feel better. It seems to come and go with the rain, which is unfortunate since the rain tends to always come back.

Perhaps whining dramatically is the key. Alas, alack, for the rains shall pour down again for forty days and forty nights, and I shall wither like a frost-bitten reed, struck down by the mighty hand of the powers of death and darkness once more!

User avatar
Kick
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:24 am UTC
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Kick » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:28 am UTC

Jave D wrote:
Chaoszerom wrote:
Jave D wrote:I am sick. I am afflicted! My nose runneth. Lo, my head aches; it aches like a throbbing anvil under the hammer of God. I produce slime and snot: my nostrils are like the open sores of a prostitute. I am weakened and my nights are filled with groaning!

This is quite possibly the most dramatic way of saying that one has a cold/other illness that I have ever heard. Bravo, sir/ma'am!

On a similar note, I had a cold recently, and it sucked. Hope you get better soon!

Thanks! And actually I already do feel better. It seems to come and go with the rain, which is unfortunate since the rain tends to always come back.

Perhaps whining dramatically is the key. Alas, alack, for the rains shall pour down again for forty days and forty nights, and I shall wither like a frost-bitten reed, struck down by the mighty hand of the powers of death and darkness once more!

Alas, the rain did pour down, and the roads were slick from the persistent deluge crashing down from on high. The throat grew sore, and the voice hoarse, sniffling became commonplace, and coughing, just another symptom. But the skies cleared, and the ailments vanished...only to hear the weather report, "Heavy rain on Tuesday, continuing on into Wednesday evening."

In all seriousness, I've been sick recently as well (not very sick, just mild cough and runny nose, annoying stuff probably due to temperature/rain).
I'm never sarcastic.

User avatar
Whelan
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm UTC
Location: Londonshire.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Whelan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

Bloody! Who keeps opening both the kitchen windows as wide as possible? It's the middle of bloody december no one wants a cold kitchen! And if you're going to open the windows, at least turn off the heater that's right underneath them gah!
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

Ok. Youtube. What the fuck are you thinking. You have a playlist feature. It works well. But you don't link to it anywhere on user profiles. So that when users that produce shows on youtube make a playlist of all the episodes, all you see is a long list of "[Show nam". Meanwhile, the playlist feature keeps track of what you've viewed. It shows full names. All you need to do is add one link from user pages to the playlist viewing page. Is that really so goddamn hard?!
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
ArgonV
Posts: 1792
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:08 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby ArgonV » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:52 pm UTC

Can doctors please talk in normal people language when dealing with normal people? I just got a call from a very confused neighbour who asked me what 'eritreas, leukos and trombones' meant. When I told her they were just checking her red and white blood cells and platelet count, she sounded audibly relieved. That's the second time in a couple of weeks I had to translate doctorspeak.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5944
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Angua » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

Maybe she looked on the lab-request form instead of asking the doctor.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
ArgonV
Posts: 1792
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:08 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby ArgonV » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:00 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Maybe she looked on the lab-request form instead of asking the doctor.


No, she told me the doctor told her. And then I'd expect her to get the names right :wink:

User avatar
Ulc
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:05 pm UTC
Location: Copenhagen university

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Ulc » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:05 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Angua wrote:Maybe she looked on the lab-request form instead of asking the doctor.


No, she told me the doctor told her. And then I'd expect her to get the names right :wink:


My experience with that sort of thing is that it goes something along the lines of:

Doctor: [blah blah doctorspeak, you understand?]
Patient: Sure, definitely *nods*
Doctor: Fine, I'll get the results to you in two weeks
15 min. pass
Patient: What the hell did that mean?

Because people have a stupid habit of nodding and acting like they know because they don't want to be seen as someone that doesn't know - and the doctor is stuck in doctorspeak for the same reason I'm stuck in scientistspeak when explaining my thesis, basically I'm so used to the terms and the ideas that I don't consider it scientistspeak.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

User avatar
ArgonV
Posts: 1792
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:08 pm UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby ArgonV » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:22 pm UTC

Ulc wrote:My experience with that sort of thing is that it goes something along the lines of:

Doctor: [blah blah doctorspeak, you understand?]
Patient: Sure, definitely *nods*
Doctor: Fine, I'll get the results to you in two weeks
15 min. pass
Patient: What the hell did that mean?

Because people have a stupid habit of nodding and acting like they know because they don't want to be seen as someone that doesn't know - and the doctor is stuck in doctorspeak for the same reason I'm stuck in scientistspeak when explaining my thesis, basically I'm so used to the terms and the ideas that I don't consider it scientistspeak.


I try to avoid that. Also because the only two people outside of the university I can talk with, without having to explain every second word are my uncle and the cute girl studying medicine I met this weekend. So I'm used to 'dumbing it down', 'cause I know else I'll have to say everything two times :P

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Shivahn » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:56 am UTC

The doctor I work for usually does both.

"She had what's called an ischemic event. Basically a stroke. What that means is that at some point part of her brain lost oxygen supplies, so this spot on the scan is a lot of dead cells that have been filled in by (I think it's CSF, but I can't remember right now)."

So basically he'll give the medical name, the common name, and then a description of what it really means. He's a pretty good doctor, I think. When I was a patient he'd always tell me in detail what migraines were and what was probably going on, and what causes the symptoms and stuff.

Come to think of it, so did my college doctor. The school started asking for our degrees on the medical intake form, and the bio majors would get pretty lengthy descriptions of what was going on. It was... really neat to learn about stuff like that.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby phlip » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:01 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Ok. Youtube. What the fuck are you thinking. You have a playlist feature. It works well. But you don't link to it anywhere on user profiles.

They actually do, now. With the recent redesign of YT profile pages, you click "Videos" up the top, then "Playlists" on the left, and you get a list of all their playlists and they all link to the playlist pages. Previous redesign (the one that made user pages all AJAXey and Flash-ey) also had access to the playlists, but only via AJAX, so you'd click on the playlist and get a list of all the videos, but you wouldn't get to the playlist page proper... which means if you visited the video page proper, it wouldn't be in "playlist mode", with the bar down the bottom that lets you flick between videos. The only way to get to the playlist page propler in the older format was to go into the playlist, copy the playlist ID out of the anchor in the URL, and then go to the playlist page (hope you've memorised the URL!) with that code entered. But that seems to be all cleared up with the new format. Compare, say, Day[9]'s playlist page, which (at time of posting) hasn't been upgraded yet, to LAGTV's, which has.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:40 am UTC

Physics teacher, why did you have us build a trebuchet? We were supposed to figure out how far it would throw a pumpkin. I assumed you'd teach us how to do that, with the couterweights and the angular momentums and the jello pudding... but that isn't what we were to do. We were to throw a test object, see how far it went, use that to determine its velocity as it left the trebuchet, and then use that velocity to determine how far something will go.

I'll say that again: Find distance. Use distance to find velocity. Use velocity to find distance.

So I'm supposed to pretend that I DON'T know the distance but DO know the velocity, and then figure out the distance. In an Honors class. And I'm not just misunderstanding the purpose; I asked her, "So we're supposed to 'predict' the distance that we found when testing it, and then just find out the velocity... for fun?" and she looked at me, smiled, nodded, and said, "Yep!" It might not be so bad if it had seemed like "finding the exit velocity" was the purpose from the start... but we're graded on predicting the distance. On being able to hit a target on the ground. Which is piss easy assuming the water bottle we used for testing was actually close enough in weight to the pumpkin we're using tomorrow. And if it's not then there's nothing I can do.

Why did we bother doing this? We did not learn anything. This would have been the PERFECT opportunity to talk about angular momentum or some such thing, but it seems like the teacher just wanted some punkin chunkin done before the end of the year and we aren't far enough into the course to talk about anything that the trebuchet is actually a proper tool for demonstrating.

And my partner is disappointed as well, but for completely different reasons. Namely that the trebuchet was hard to build, is hard to operate, and that it only throws things less than 6 meters. Well so what if it was hard to build? Not enjoying work done for school is perfectly normal. Get used to it. I'm used to it.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:01 am UTC

You've learned about kinetic/potential energy and work, right? Trebuchets are perfect for that calculation, depending on the design...

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:15 am UTC

She's been teaching the class in maybe a not quite so standard way the whole year.* But in any case, energy n work n shit is NOT what she's having us look at. For the trebuchet we're not even talking about forces here, just velocity. It's obvious now that it really was just for fun.


*It was only a few weeks ago that she even allowed us to make reference to F=ma. She has a habit of, when someone tries to explain something in the way that they likely already know from science in eighth grade, saying, "APAPAP we don't know that word yet!" And no, energy and work are not words we are allowed to say.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:20 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:*It was only a few weeks ago that she even allowed us to make reference to F=ma. She has a habit of, when someone tries to explain something in the way that they likely already know from science in eighth grade, saying, "APAPAP we don't know that word yet!" And no, energy and work are not words we are allowed to say.

I am so, so sorry.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:25 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:*It was only a few weeks ago that she even allowed us to make reference to F=ma. She has a habit of, when someone tries to explain something in the way that they likely already know from science in eighth grade, saying, "APAPAP we don't know that word yet!" And no, energy and work are not words we are allowed to say.


Are you... are you in a private school?

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:27 am UTC

No. Why, is that stuff more or less likely there?

Don't get me wrong, I think the way she's teaching stuff could be perfectly valid (but I've never taken a proper physics class so I have little to compare to), it's just that as it stands, my weekend spent smashing my hands to pieces is going to no purpose other than to make the soccer field smelly.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
Kick
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:24 am UTC
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Kick » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:28 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:*It was only a few weeks ago that she even allowed us to make reference to F=ma. She has a habit of, when someone tries to explain something in the way that they likely already know from science in eighth grade, saying, "APAPAP we don't know that word yet!" And no, energy and work are not words we are allowed to say.


Are you... are you in a private school?

I went to a private school, and even my normal (as in not AP) Physics wasn't that bad. I do feel sorry for you, Physics can be a quite entertaining, and at the same time difficult, class and it was one of my favorite classes from High School.
I'm never sarcastic.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:12 am UTC

That sounds like my first few weeks of doing maths at university. We weren't allowed to use what we knew from school and college - we had to derive it all first. Like, we weren't even allowed to assume things like x-x=0, and we had to completely relearn stuff like differentiation.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

adho
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:21 am UTC

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby adho » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:16 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:That sounds like my first few weeks of doing maths at university. We weren't allowed to use what we knew from school and college - we had to derive it all first. Like, we weren't even allowed to assume things like x-x=0, and we had to completely relearn stuff like differentiation.


That has a legitimate purpose. This doesn't sound like it does. I have always been lucky with my physics teachers, this one sounds like a shocker.

Rant: why does university entrance rank come out an entire day after gah it gives me 24 hours of wondering and hoping and trying to work shit out just hold off and release it all together why all this guessing drives me nuts. *pants*

Edit: Hold up, how can you not assume x - x = 0? How do you prove that something is equal to itself? Isn't that the whole definition of subtraction? And zero?

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Obby » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:28 pm UTC

adho wrote:Edit: Hold up, how can you not assume x - x = 0? How do you prove that something is equal to itself? Isn't that the whole definition of subtraction? And zero?

Discrete math is a bitch.

IMO, at least. :(
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Mumpy
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:20 pm UTC
Location: Oxford, England

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Mumpy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:17 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:That sounds like my first few weeks of doing maths at university. We weren't allowed to use what we knew from school and college - we had to derive it all first. Like, we weren't even allowed to assume things like x-x=0, and we had to completely relearn stuff like differentiation.

We've just finished our first term, and are only a few weeks/concepts ahead of A-levels. It was quite nice to be brought back up to speed after a gap year (I did do revision, but still). The best thing I found about it though, was at all those points previously that we just had to accept something, we were told the why's and wherefores. I mean, It was reallllllly boring at some points, but now I feel so much more comfortable with everything.

Though, yeah I do totally get your point and agree. Relearning how to add, subtract and divide fractions was pretty fucking dull.

Chen
Posts: 5582
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Chen » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote: but we're graded on predicting the distance. On being able to hit a target on the ground. Which is piss easy assuming the water bottle we used for testing was actually close enough in weight to the pumpkin we're using tomorrow. And if it's not then there's nothing I can do.


How big a target do you actually have? And how big is the trebuchet? I guess its a tiny little thing it won't matter much, but throwing a pumpkin (after having watched pumpkin chucking on Discovery the other day) seems to have a pretty big variation in it. Not only does it seem like a bad way of teaching things, it seems like a misleading way of teaching. Air resistance on pumpkins is going to vary, not to mention how the damn thing actually moves while in the air. Variation here seems like it will be high.

User avatar
rrwoods
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:57 pm UTC
Location: US

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby rrwoods » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:08 pm UTC

adho wrote:Edit: Hold up, how can you not assume x - x = 0? How do you prove that something is equal to itself?

These two questions are different. "x = x" is an axiom; "x - x = 0" is not, and, in fact, neither is "x + 0 = x". These are provable statements.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

User avatar
yurell
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby yurell » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:
adho wrote:Edit: Hold up, how can you not assume x - x = 0? How do you prove that something is equal to itself?

These two questions are different. "x = x" is an axiom; "x - x = 0" is not, and, in fact, neither is "x + 0 = x". These are provable statements.


x+0=x was in my set of axioms as part of defining 0 as the additive identity. And x - x = 0 was also in there (albeit in slightly modified form) to define an additive inverse. What set of axioms are you using?
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

User avatar
rrwoods
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:57 pm UTC
Location: US

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby rrwoods » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

Oop, sorry, my memory is rusty. Yes, addition of natural numbers is defined as:

a + 0 = a
a + S(b) = S(a + b)

where S is the successor function.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

Mumpy wrote:The best thing I found about it though, was at all those points previously that we just had to accept something, we were told the why's and wherefores.


Seriously? Damn, the reason I stopped trying in Maths at A-Level was because the Stats teacher who was teaching us the Pure stuff, couldn't explain 'WHY' to me :(

It was all 'just remember everything' and I wanted reasons for it, but got none.

Mumpy
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:20 pm UTC
Location: Oxford, England

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby Mumpy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:03 pm UTC

Yeah, I mean, I understand why teachers do that, and I'm not criticising them for it (No-one wants to have to go all the way to uni level maths with a bunch of year 8's just because there is one curious bastard at the front) but it's kinda gratifying to see that it really is there, and does hold together.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:20 pm UTC

Bleh, in year 8 (and up to GCSE) I was happy with just being told "it'll be explained when you're older" and I got very good grades in Maths.

But at A-Level I wanted to go deeper. Maybe I can blame the school for me not going to Uni in the end :D

User avatar
I Am Raven
Posts: 2416
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:09 am UTC
Location: Amsterdam.
Contact:

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby I Am Raven » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:43 pm UTC

AAH! YOU RUINED MY PINEAPPLE! I asked if you knew how to cut it. You said yes. I double checked by saying "Cut the core out and all..." And you said it was fine, AND YOU LEFT THE MOTHERFUCKING CORE IN!
Ptolom wrote:penis


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests