Lucky Ten Thousand (TIL)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Re: Today I Learned

Postby Xeio » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:43 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:There are one or fewer people in the US with my name. Whoo!
What you don't realize is this is a clever threat in disquise. Run! :shock:

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:18 am UTC

My mind just exploded. Even moreso than the brains of those poor fellows in Saving Private Ryan. Movies on YouTube?

Thank you for those links, by the way.

EDIT: There's also a link up at the top that directs you to bunch of movies on YouTube. You can even search for free ones! The free one are, of course, only the movies that nobody wants to watch*

*Prove me wrong, I dare you. No, really. I wouldn't mind watching some more good movies on YouTube.

Aiea

Postby Aiea » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:51 pm UTC

Kirby wrote:

My mind just exploded. Even moreso than the brains of those poor fellows in Saving Private Ryan. Movies on YouTube?

Thank you for those links, by the way.

EDIT: There's also a link up at the top that directs you to bunch of movies on YouTube. You can even search for free ones! The free one are, of course, only the movies that nobody wants to watch*

*Prove me wrong, I dare you. No, really. I wouldn't mind watching some more good movies on YouTube.

I watched some of those free movies on youtube... Of course it was at work when I didn't have access to any other movies... I think I watched "The Kid", "Heidi", "Jungle Book", and "Little Princess". I enjoyed them.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:59 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
Shivahn wrote:There are one or fewer people in the US with my name. Whoo!
What you don't realize is this is a clever threat in disquise. Run! :shock:

Oh god you're right!

*hides*

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:20 pm UTC

Kirby wrote:*Prove me wrong, I dare you. No, really. I wouldn't mind watching some more good movies on YouTube.
The Thing (10 minutes at a time)

There are more than a few of those around youtube. Usually lowish quality, and uploaded in ten minutes chunks so the movie is divided into between 9 and 12 parts, but they're free and a great way to watch stuff at work in the background. Someone (3rdRockFan or something like that) also has about 4 complete seasons of Third Rock From the Sun.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Kang

Postby Kang » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:49 pm UTC

Well, I think what the point was, is that there are actually full movies in one video officially there.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:44 pm UTC

You can also watch seasons 1-7 of Scrubs on YouTube. :P Apparently seasons 8 and 9 aren't up because of "copyright issues"... My guess is that ABC is still making money from broadcasting them or something, and they don't want to release them.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:58 am UTC

It should also be noted that seasons 8 and 9 don't count because the damn series should have ended after 7. Also, NBC fucked with the episode order for some reason; it should have ended with My Dumb Luck.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

GenericPseudonym

Postby GenericPseudonym » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:27 am UTC

That website says there's 1 or fewer of me, but I know there's at least two. (Me, and some guy in New York who I found the Facebook page of.)
edit: It's probably just because of the rarity of our last name (23,000th-ish), but all my siblings and parents are "1 or fewer".

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:19 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:It should also be noted that seasons 8 and 9 don't count because the damn series should have ended after 7. Also, NBC fucked with the episode order for some reason; it should have ended with My Dumb Luck.

How bad are the last two seasons? Are they "Friends should never have gone to 10 seasons" bad (which I don't think is that bad) or "Why the fuck did they make a 4th season of Coupling without Jeff?" bad (which was horrible) ?

I'm watching Scrubs atm and wondering at what season I should stop.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:00 am UTC

Zarq wrote:"Friends should never have gone to 10 seasons" bad (which I don't think is that bad)

I didn't think season 10 was bad at all, but working through the abject idiocy of Ross in season 9 was what killed me.

... Anyway.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:03 am UTC

Cathy wrote:abject idiocy of Ross in season 9

It's been a while since I saw it. What things are you talking about?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:09 am UTC

Zarq wrote:
Cathy wrote:abject idiocy of Ross in season 9

It's been a while since I saw it. What things are you talking about?

Like, all of it. He just drove me crazy as a character. More of a moron about women/life than is comprehendible. I wanted to tear his throat out. Of course, I'm in the middle of Battlestar Galactica right now and I want to tear out a LOT of character's throats out.

TIL that when confronted with a character I absolutely can't stand I become verbally abusive towards my laptop screen. Wow. Not sure whether to be concerned or to see it as a good way to vent.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:28 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:
e^iπ+1=0 wrote:It should also be noted that seasons 8 and 9 don't count because the damn series should have ended after 7. Also, NBC fucked with the episode order for some reason; it should have ended with My Dumb Luck.

How bad are the last two seasons? Are they "Friends should never have gone to 10 seasons" bad (which I don't think is that bad) or "Why the fuck did they make a 4th season of Coupling without Jeff?" bad (which was horrible) ?

I'm watching Scrubs atm and wondering at what season I should stop.

Looking back at synopses of season 8 episodes, most of it actually wasn't terrible. I just think it was dragged on unnecessarily, and that season 7 ended really well (or would have, in the right order). Also, there are lots of new characters, pretty much none of which I particularly connected with (but YMMV). I didn't even bother watching most of season 9 because they switched the focus of the show such that it was significantly more about the new characters.

So I think you can probably give season 8 a chance, and then if you get through it and like the new characters proceed to season 9. But I suppose it depends on whether or not it'll ruin the series for you or whatever. If you can just ignore it if you dislike it, then go for it; else, I'd say probably don't.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:44 pm UTC

They cloak that there are only 116 people in the US with my last name. I probably know 25% of them. It would be interesting to meet the others. My dad didn't talk to much of his family after the 1950s.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Mazer1010

Postby Mazer1010 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:16 pm UTC

How to use the programming language Racket (it's really cool)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

I really liked season 8, but it definitely had a different feel from the past seasons... If they had done season 7 right and had a satisfying ending, that would've been fine with me.

That said, season 9 is fanfiction and nothing more.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:55 pm UTC

TIL a second is called a second because it is the result of the second division of an hour by 60.

You rang?

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:58 am UTC

Try this: a minute is 1/60th of something (as in minute of arc, minute of hour). A second is the second minute of an hour.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:54 am UTC

Zarq wrote:TIL a second is called a second because it is the result of the second division of an hour by 60.

What. How have I never known this?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:45 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Try this: a minute is 1/60th of something (as in minute of arc, minute of hour). A second is the second minute of an hour.

Yowza bagowza.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ExplodingHat

Postby ExplodingHat » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:21 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Try this: a minute is 1/60th of something (as in minute of arc, minute of hour). A second is the second minute of an hour.
So would the electricity in my walls oscillate every 'third' then?
Some call it luck, I call it "subconscious planning".

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

Yesterday I learned why I am not close with people at work. We were in the lunch room and the conversation was pretty much 30 minutes of bitching about and gossiping about other coworkers. That's not something I do, or really want to do.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

Relevant wiki article
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:08 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Yesterday I learned why I am not close with people at work. We were in the lunch room and the conversation was pretty much 30 minutes of bitching about and gossiping about other coworkers. That's not something I do, or really want to do.

Doesn't that ^ count as bitching about coworkers though?
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

Arisu

Postby Arisu » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:55 am UTC

JBJ wrote:Doesn't that ^ count as bitching about coworkers though?

And complaining about people complaining means you are complaining too (something people never fail to "humourously" point out),
a lot depends on how often you do it, and where.
In my opinion anyway.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

TIL: the words to Ernie (the fastest milkmn in the west). No, really...

He said 'do you want it pasteurized, cause pasteurized is best?', she said 'Ernie I'll be happy if it comes up to me chest'....

OK, as you were.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:14 pm UTC

There are 741 people in the U.S. that have my first and last name. There are 3 people that have my husband's.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:55 pm UTC

Trigger warning:

Spoiler:
And he pulled the fastest milk-cart in the west.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

AJR

Postby AJR » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:05 pm UTC

The names site says that there are only 180 people in the US with my surname, and "1 or fewer" people in the US with my name (they say "We have information on both names, but chances are low that someone has this combination of names.") Also, the are apparently over 1300 people in the UK with my surname, which make me wonder: how common is it for an English surname to be significantly more common in the UK than the US?

farnsworth

Postby farnsworth » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:20 am UTC

TIL whiteboard markers work (and erase from) my television screen. I can now draw clown hats and mustaches with wild abandon.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:59 am UTC

CRT and LCD computer monitors too. Though you want to erase those quickly since the heat from the screen can sometimes kind of bake the ink to the screen, making it harder to remove.
--Flobots "Mayday"

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

TIL: Wikiquote is pretty much crap. I searched for a movie, didn't find the quote I want. So clicked on the link to a popular entertainer who has made more than two dozen movies. His entry had maybe 40 words on it, and two links to wikipedia. No links to the movies he has been in.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:17 pm UTC

JBJ wrote:
emceng wrote:Yesterday I learned why I am not close with people at work. We were in the lunch room and the conversation was pretty much 30 minutes of bitching about and gossiping about other coworkers. That's not something I do, or really want to do.

Doesn't that ^ count as bitching about coworkers though?

Yes, but it isn't the same. Here I am generically bitching about people no one here knows. I am not undermining anyone's authority, causing enmity amoung co-workers, or insulting people you know.

Kang

Postby Kang » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:42 am UTC

felltir wrote:Trigger warning:

Spoiler:
And he pulled the fastest milk-cart in the west.

I see what you did there. Very nice.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:36 am UTC

Til tits! On YouTube!

(NSFW - Tits. And guns. And lots of things associated with this lethal concoction of breasts and blunderbusses). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlqxMNdST1g
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:02 pm UTC

TIL: Google image search by image can be awesome.

My new hobby: throwing people's avatar at Google image search and seeing what it says.

For example, ameretrifle's avatar returns...

zombietrex.png
I... I knew it!

(I hope that's okay with you, ameretrifle.)
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:57 am UTC

Ha ha ha what a strange ACTIVATE PROTOCOL CHI-576-ALPHA!! MOVE, MOVE, MOVE!!

...Nice knowing you, respiratory mammals. The whole warm, moving blood thing was weird, but I kinda liked you anyway. I have no doubt you will adjust to your new overlords. In fact, we expect a significant number of you to welcome us as liberators.

/obligatory dino joke

(if i change my avatar now, i swear it's just because i've been meaning to for months and it's seasonal avatar time. really! :D)

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:06 am UTC

*Easonal
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Anachrome

Postby Anachrome » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:46 am UTC

TIL that goodliness is a word. This makes me happy.

It also prompted the thought: what units would goodliness be measured in?

Return to “General”