1033: "Formal Logic"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SirMustapha

Re: 1033: "Formal Logic"

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:38 am UTC

Thank you for explaining the joke in the alt text, Randall. I would never get it otherwise.

(NOTE: This is completely sarcastic)

Elirra

Postby Elirra » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:46 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Thank you for explaining the joke in the alt text, Randall. I would never get it otherwise.

Thank you for explaining the sarcasm in the parantheses, SirMustapha. I would never get it otherwise.

BlueLaughter

Postby BlueLaughter » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:55 am UTC

Of course, this all assumes that
1. You will do what's told of you.
2. You somehow care that a sticker is implying something about you.

I've seen bumper stickers that said something similar to "Honk if you're an asshole", and yet I still honked, not because I'm an asshole, but because the idiot wouldn't stay in his lane.

thesingingaccountant

Postby thesingingaccountant » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:57 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Thank you for explaining the joke in the alt text, Randall. I would never get it otherwise.

So.

It has come to this.

(honk, honk)
Never trust a psychic who has to reschedule.

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:00 pm UTC

Thank you for the sarcastic note. Sometimes when you don't include that some people don't know that you're being sarcastic.

Seriously.
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

rhhardin

Postby rhhardin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:34 pm UTC

There's no imperative in formal logic.

conorjh

Postby conorjh » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:37 pm UTC

n0etic wrote:If you love formal logic and you are driving, and you honk iff you love formal logic, you'd be honking your horn the entire time that you drive.

No, only when you see the sticker; it's an imperative not an instruction.

rcox1

Postby rcox1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:56 pm UTC

jdmulloy wrote:Why is 'if' spelled 'iff'?

IFF is a logical construct that allows conclusions that would be invalid for if.

For example, a parent might say that if you do your chores then you can go the concert. You may have told your friends this and, when they see at the concert, they may incorrectly conclude that you did your chores. This, iirc, is the fallacy of affirming the consequent. You could have snuck out of the house even though you did not do your chores.

IFF is used when the conditional, that you do your chores, and the conclusion, that you go the concert, is strongly linked. In this case using IFF means that not only that you will honk if you love formal logic, but that is the only reason you will honk.

Or this is my understanding form logic courses many years ago. I am sure will correct any small errors in logic.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:08 pm UTC

meh.

This joke did not contain bobcat. Would not use again.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:22 pm UTC

Elirra wrote:

Thank you for explaining the sarcasm in the parantheses, SirMustapha. I would never get it otherwise.

You know about Poe's Law, don't you?

kram2301

Postby kram2301 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:25 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:Honk iff you don't honk.

Wouldn't it be slightly more paradox to say:
"Honk iff you won't honk."?

Elwood011

Postby Elwood011 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:33 pm UTC

Mother to small child: "You may have one cookie or one candy bar before dinner."

When I read this, I just pictured some young programmer grabbing both a cookie and a candy bar and saying "Thanks!"

javahead

Postby javahead » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:44 pm UTC

IIF = infinite if ... wasn't a typo I don't think.

I, for one, do not care one way or another for formal logic.
So I shall never honk again, but it won't stop me extending various forms of the middle finger. And screaming; i'm good at that.

BAReFOOt

Postby BAReFOOt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:58 pm UTC

Am I the only one, who doesn’t automatically do everything somebody else tells him to do?

BAReFOOt

Postby BAReFOOt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:09 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:It also implies:
~(honk & ~you love formal logic)
~(~honk & you love formal logic)
~(honk xor you love formal logic)
(honk & you love formal logic) V (~honk & ~you love formal logic)

I think you mean:
¬ (honk ∧ ¬ (you love formal logic))
¬ (¬ honk ∧ (you love formal logic))
¬ (honk ⊕ (you love formal logic))
(honk ∧ (you love formal logic)) ∨ (¬ honk ∧ ¬ (you love formal logic))

Get your pointless I’m-better-than-you-mathpenis symbolism right! ^^
(What I’m trying to say, is: There’s a reason programmers learn to use meaningful identifiers.)
___
This post was entered, using only the official German keypenis layout “NEO 2.0”. No manual character code entry or character table tool were used. Accept no substitutes! I’m here all week! Try the veal! Tip the waitress! …If you know what I’m saying… ^^. Rule 34, baby!
Last edited by BAReFOOt on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

savanik

Postby savanik » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:13 pm UTC

Out of all the things I learned in college, formal logic is probably one of the most useful things I've learned for my daily job. I do a lot of info searching, and being able to know that NOT (A OR B) is the same thing as NOT A AND NOT B really helps me troubleshoot queries.

Irony: It was in a Philosophy course and didn't count for Computer Science credit. Neither was my second-most useful class, Human-Computer Interfaces, that actually taught me how to properly use a testing methodology for interface design. That was part of the Psychology subtrack.
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

Sleaw

Postby Sleaw » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:26 pm UTC

savanik wrote:Out of all the things I learned in college, formal logic is probably one of the most useful things I've learned for my daily job. I do a lot of info searching, and being able to know that NOT (A OR B) is the same thing as NOT A AND NOT B really helps me troubleshoot queries.

Irony: It was in a Philosophy course and didn't count for Computer Science credit. Neither was my second-most useful class, Human-Computer Interfaces, that actually taught me how to properly use a testing methodology for interface design. That was part of the Psychology subtrack.

What about that one weekend you spent messing with Perl, did that come in useful at all? :P

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:34 pm UTC

This has been one of my favorite comics in a really long time.

ineon

Postby ineon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:42 pm UTC

Expecting people to follow instructions in formal logic probably isn't the smartest thing to do. I once spent about 5 minutes explaining the differences between logical if and the 'regular' definition of if (including the difference between if and iff, and why statements like "There's coke in the fridge if you are thirsty" don't make sense). I got the reply:

"If you say so"

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:43 pm UTC

Never took a course in formal logic, eh? Or probably not even math.

iff is defined as "if and only if" . Now I suppose I have to explain the difference between 'necessary' and 'sufficient,' or between 'one to one' and 'onto' ....
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

BAReFOOt

Postby BAReFOOt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:44 pm UTC

savanik wrote:Out of all the things I learned in college, formal logic is probably one of the most useful things I've learned for my daily job. I do a lot of info searching, and being able to know that NOT (A OR B) is the same thing as NOT A AND NOT B really helps me troubleshoot queries.

Yep. I think we should teach children, in that order: (Hmm, I went a bit over the top here, but I’m gonna post it anyway. :)
Basic life school
• Your body. (Resources, waste, health, sexuality, perception, control.)
• Your environment. (Home, tools, vehicles, etc.)
• Your social group. (Interaction, trading, organization and teamwork [as a analogy to your body], etc.)
Self-self-improvement. (Games, and their subsets: Education, Sports, Art, Entertainment)
Mental development school
• I think, therefore I am.
• Perception of reality. (How it really is just signals entering our conciousness, and everything else is just assumptions.)
The cycle of scientific knowledge development.
• Logic, first non-formal, then formal but descriptive (not using symbolism, since we have no need to wank our self-confidence penis to make it grow).
• A practical study of the usual logical fallacies (non-sequiturs), like argument from authority / majority /…, circular reasoning, thought-terminating clichées,
• and their causes, like ignorance. stupidity, etc.
• Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory, and how to form the rest of math from it.
• Quantum field theory (including its force-specific sub-theories) and relativity theory. (Or their successors.) And how to form the rest of physics from it.
• Neural networks. (Including especially natural ones.) And how to form the rest of neurology and, building on that, psychology (Explains the reasons for ignorance, schizophrenia, etc.) and mass-psychology from it. With a special focus on emotions and trigger systems.

For all those topics, the form of teaching should be
• by telling experiences made over the time line of history. (Obviously is a way that can and is followed by the listener.), and
• in the form of (computer/…) games with fun and motivation guarantee, or you get your money back.
Last edited by BAReFOOt on Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:50 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

iff is defined as "if and only if" . Now I suppose I have to explain the difference between 'necessary' and 'sufficient,' or between 'one to one' and 'onto' ....

Condescending much? This didn't come up in my math course (I didn't do further maths) and I did quite well in that course. Formal logic isn't a requirement of any of my current courses. I didn't get that iff meant if and only if, but I I still know how the concepts work, even if I don't know the formal shorthand.

I also know the difference between necessary and sufficient, of course, that is kind of necessary in medicine, because a lot of things are necessary but not sufficient to cause disease.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Sleaw

Postby Sleaw » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:52 pm UTC

ineon wrote:Expecting people to follow instructions in formal logic probably isn't the smartest thing to do. I once spent about 5 minutes explaining the differences between logical if and the 'regular' definition of if (including the difference between if and iff, and why statements like "There's coke in the fridge if you are thirsty" don't make sense). I got the reply:

"If you say so"

It sounds like they just really didn't care about why you wanted to make things unnecessarily difficult. The meaning is obvious, what's the point of insisting it's not logical? :?

EpicanicusStrikes
Random Boners = True Attraction

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:54 pm UTC

I have a bumper sticker that reads: "Honk if you want me to run over that jerkwad jogging in the street."

Though, I don't actually need permission from other drivers. I just appreciate the solidarity.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:54 pm UTC

My logic prof proved to us the the construction "p if OR only if q" is true no matter what the truth values of p and q are. He advised future politicians to take advantage of this in their speaches.

"I will raise taxes if or only if the economy is bad."
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

BAReFOOt

Postby BAReFOOt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:06 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Condescending much?

Insecure much? Inferiority complex much?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

Not really. Just pointing out that not knowing one bit of information does not mean you don't know anything else.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

sdf_iain

Postby sdf_iain » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:21 pm UTC

EPAstor wrote:Is there any chance of getting this bumper sticker printed? No, really. I'd buy 5-10 of them.

Every single one of my colleagues needs one. My advisor most of all.

I'm not a fan of bumper stickers, could we get this printed as a bumper sticker sized magnet? I'd buy one for myself and suggest it to a few others (like the philosophy departments at any of the schools I've attended).

Vael

Postby Vael » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:24 pm UTC

Formal Logic and I have an open relationship, I wouldn't call it love.
I want to meet a philosophical pirate; they think, therefore they arrrrrrr.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:29 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

And people complain about me.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

Yes. Yes they do.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:57 pm UTC

It only took 38 years but my introductory class to logic finally had a practical use. :P

Elirra

Postby Elirra » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:18 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
Elirra wrote:

You know about Poe's Law, don't you?

I was hoping you'd stick more with show don't tell. Or perhaps developing yourself as more of a character. Instead your comment has little value. You've said something sarcastic, then you've told us its sarcastic. Apparently you haven't even been doing this consistently enough or effectively enough for you to think we'll understand this. What kind of reader looks at your comments and thinks that they're insightful when at most all you've done is told us what is already apparent to anyone who's followed the forums for any reasonable amount of time. Really you're just some gimmick of sarcasm and contempt, nothing much gained, the same as any of the characters in the comic.

Though now I suspect at some point we'll discover that SirMustapha is Randall. He's the forum incarnation of relatively one dimensional character from the comics given a voice and an avatar picture. Think about it, you take a stick figure comic, with one dimensional characters, because if the art is going to be just lines the development should match. Then you get a little bit meta. You create a straw man critic on the forums who consistently nay-says and voices your own concerns over your own work.

I'd walk away from today happy if you said "I am Randall's sense of self loathing."

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:13 pm UTC

You're getting desperate. Don't do that to yourself. And stop before this becomes yet another thread about me. Being famous is not easy, you know.

flecks

Postby flecks » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:31 pm UTC

What if I'm not really in love with formal logic but just using it for sex?

(I'd tap that)===true.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:46 pm UTC

SirMustapha --

Been meaning to ask... is your avatar a Moomin?

SFS

Lanjolo

Postby Lanjolo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:52 pm UTC

BAReFOOt wrote:Yep. I think we should teach children, in that order: (Hmm, I went a bit over the top here, but I’m gonna post it anyway. :)

• Quantum field theory (including its force-specific sub-theories) and relativity theory. (Or their successors.) And how to form the rest of physics from it.
• Neural networks. (Including especially natural ones.) And how to form the rest of neurology and, building on that, psychology (Explains the reasons for ignorance, schizophrenia, etc.) and mass-psychology from it. With a special focus on emotions and trigger systems.

You certainly have a lot of faith in the learning capabilities of children :)
Live forever or die trying.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:57 pm UTC

Lanjolo wrote:
BAReFOOt wrote:Yep. I think we should teach children, in that order: (Hmm, I went a bit over the top here, but I’m gonna post it anyway. :)

You certainly have a lot of faith in the learning capabilities of children :)

It's easy once you take out the meatware and install a good old-fashioned positronic brain.

mspainter

Postby mspainter » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:13 pm UTC

I'm not the only one that sees a guy concentrating while shooting laser guns, right?

Like so:
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/6476/carguy.png

Whys

Postby Whys » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:20 pm UTC

Honk if you want the terrorists to win. :D

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”