Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby Kewangji » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:29 am UTC

Steax wrote:... I'll be in the garage for a while my garage.

fixed that for ya. And the answer is probably that the cost is too much and the want is too low. :(
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:37 am UTC

I kind of mocked it up with some old lego mindstorms stuff. It's just a prototype, but it relies on colored tape on my room to find its way around, along with an internal fuzzy map of its surroundings... Now just to figure out how to get it to accept voice commands from my mac through bluetooth. So far it's just a walking bin, though...

I'm going to make sure I turn it off at night, though. I do not want a heavy hulk of steel wandering around in my house with nobody to watch it.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:46 am UTC

Steax wrote:walking bin

definitely not the worst of ideas. ^^
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:20 pm UTC

Well, now how I respond when I see a suspected dead person, pretty calm and collected, I always wondered because people in TV shows who aren't law enforcement almost always act panicked. I was walking with my dogs out in the country side and saw a car parked there. When I passed the car - which was parked weird, half in a ditch - I looked inside and saw a person in the drivers seat. At first I suspected he was dead, since he wasn't moving, so I called emergency services, when I saw him breathing very shallowly. I did feel a bit relieved that he at least still was alive, they sent over a police car and an ambulance, police opened up the doors and the paramedics got him out. Probably had a stroke or a heart attack or something.

I mean, I've seen dead bodies before at wakes and even poked around in a few in a dissection room for my education, but finding one unexpectedly is different still.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:25 pm UTC

Steax wrote:So far it's just a walking bin, though...

The creators of the gonk droid would say that's good enough :D

ArgonV wrote:Well, now how I respond when I see a suspected dead person, pretty calm and collected, I always wondered because people in TV shows who aren't law enforcement almost always act panicked. I was walking with my dogs out in the country side and saw a car parked there. When I passed the car - which was parked weird, half in a ditch - I looked inside and saw a person in the drivers seat. At first I suspected he was dead, since he wasn't moving, so I called emergency services, when I saw him breathing very shallowly. I did feel a bit relieved that he at least still was alive, they sent over a police car and an ambulance, police opened up the doors and the paramedics got him out. Probably had a stroke or a heart attack or something.

I mean, I've seen dead bodies before at wakes and even poked around in a few in a dissection room for my education, but finding one unexpectedly is different still.

Wow. He was very lucky you came along. *fingers crossed*
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:04 am UTC

Angua wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:I have to get my wisdom teeth pulled out. I'll probably go out of the country to do it, since it's pretty easy and cheap for me to fly to a South American country since I'm in Florida.

The costs of plane tickets are that low for you? I'm so jealous (grumbles about ridiculous taxes on flying in the UK due to environmentalism).

The flights on JetBlue from Orlando to San Jose, Costa Rica are about $300. From Miami is about $500. I could always use Spirit, where the base ticket is like $150, but I'm wary about the fees. It will probably end up being the same price to fly to a different country, spend a week there, and get my teeth pulled out as it would be to stay here and do it.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:33 am UTC

Oh why, oh why, oh why does this exam have to be in person. Face to face with the examiners. Me standing up and presenting so every tremble is easily noticeable. Unknown, scary questions about why I didn't do things well enough, or why I should have done more.

GGGAAAAHHHHHHHH
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:04 pm UTC

Yesterday I just took my last school exam ever (YAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!) and I went in there totally sick of studying and knowing I could take it twice. So my friend and I both figured we could just take it hopelessly unprepared and then figure out what's on it and focus on those topics for the next time. Well, guess what? We both passed. Somehow it all worked out (AND NOW I AM DONE FOREVER EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE). So if something that miraculous could happen, I say you will do exceedingly well.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

flintlockpistols
Location: In your garden, stealing your pumpkins. (What pumpkins?)

Postby flintlockpistols » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:09 pm UTC

Ugh, I have to get my wisdom teeth out too. I'm only 14, and they're already impacted. I swear to god, I'm already sick of dentists and having dental surgery.
Sherlock wrote:People don't really go to heaven when they die, they're taken to a special room and burned.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:15 pm UTC

On the plus side, that sort of thing is usually easier at younger ages. Good luck with the surgery!
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:40 pm UTC

WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO viva over! And I think it went really well. 40% of my grade down, 3 written exams to go!
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:08 pm UTC

Hmmmm. I wonder where I could find dream diaries from decades ago. I just was reviewing the dream thread, and thought about how many dreams are influenced so heavily by the media we consume - mainly TV, but also music, books, and much more recently, video games.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:09 pm UTC

I heard somewhere that during the age of black and white television most Americans reported dreaming in black and white.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:16 pm UTC

I also once found this study that 60% or so people today believe the world was actually black-and-white back then.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:22 pm UTC

It's true. Everyone knows color was invented by Ted Turner in the 60s.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:31 pm UTC

CAAAAPTAAAAIN PLANEEETTT

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:On the plus side, that sort of thing is usually easier at younger ages. Good luck with the surgery!

Well I'm fucked. Everything involving my teeth is slow. I still had 10 baby teeth when I was 13. I had to have them pulled. Now I'm 17 and my wisdom teeth have yet to move at all. It's really gonna suck when they do, isn't it?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

roband

Postby roband » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:51 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:On the plus side, that sort of thing is usually easier at younger ages. Good luck with the surgery!

Well I'm fucked. Everything involving my teeth is slow. I still had 10 baby teeth when I was 13. I had to have them pulled. Now I'm 17 and my wisdom teeth have yet to move at all. It's really gonna suck when they do, isn't it?

Ha, I'm 22 and I still have 1 or 2 baby teeth. I have had countless teeth pulled. Nothing on my wisdom teeth yet.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:52 pm UTC

There's so many factors it's hard to say.

I had 3 wisdom teeth cut out (2 were impacted) when I was 26 and the whole thing went really smoothly.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:59 pm UTC

Indeed. I had all four of mine taken out over a week-ish period (two on one day, the other two four days later) and it really wasn't that big of a deal. In about two or three weeks I was back to eating completely normally, and even immediately thereafter I was eating perfectly fine, just in small bites that I had to track. Didn't need to be put under, Novocaine was fine, and freaky tools weren't needed. (spoilered for the mental image)
Spoiler:
If you don't consider the dental version of bent needlenose pliars and a flathead screwdriver freaky. Look, I know they weren't that, but that's what they looked like to me.

And then there's others who have to be put under and it's a huge ordeal to get one out, let alone four.

All that being said.. not everyone even has four wisdom teeth, so.. there's that too.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:15 pm UTC

Oh, yeah, I was put under. Didn't remember the drive home. But recovery was fairly smooth. Careful with what I ate for a few days (not as careful as I should have been) and it wasn't too long before it wasn't a concern at all.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:17 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:

I could be completely wrong, but I think it only sucks if they do move, and they don't for everyone. You may never need to get your wisdom teeth removed!

Angua can correct me since she's the expert, having just given an oral exam. :lol: (can "Good luck with your FACE" be a cool mafia inside joke please? My life needs more inside jokes.)
-Adam

flintlockpistols

Postby flintlockpistols » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:02 pm UTC

Thanks! :)

I'm pretty sure it won't be a big deal, but this is my first actual surgery and I've never actually been put under before. The strongest anesthesia I've ever had was a bit of Novocaine.

So yeah, I'm still really anxious but idek I'll probably be fine.

the thought of needlenose pliers digging into my gums makes me shiver, lol
Sherlock wrote:People don't really go to heaven when they die, they're taken to a special room and burned.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:03 pm UTC

Just make sure a loved one records you post-surgery and puts it on Youtube for us all to enjoy.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:09 pm UTC

Spoilered just in case (description of anesthesia):
Spoiler:
Having my wisdom teeth out was my first time under general anesthesia too, and still kind of amuses me. In particular, I remember them clipping some monitoring thing onto my finger, and I started looking at the vital signs monitor, trying to work out which thing was which (without my glasses on), staring at the blue one intently, then waking up, more or less fully alert. No sleepiness, no sense of drifting off, just focusing on something and then "apparently I'm waking up now...from...being awake...and I'm in a different room. huh."

And then I had chipmunk-cheeks for a couple days and ate many Spaghetti-Os :P
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:23 pm UTC

Received a haircut. Used unnecessary hair products. Should have stopped them. Smells like a candle now.

(Regarding wisdom teeth) Removed them at eighteen years of age. Had never experienced anesthesia either. Worried about it. Happened like this:
Spoiler:
Dentist: "Begin counting down from one hundred."
Deva: "One hundred, ninety-nine, ninety-eight." (Is not sleepy.) "Ninety-seven, ninety-six, ninety-five." (Must not be effective.) "Ninety-four, nine—"
Dentist: "All done."

Was ecstatic. Acted "loopy", according to a parent.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:27 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I woke up half-way through my procedure, started hyperventilating like a motherfucker, heard a loud crack inside my mouth and some yelling, then woke up when it was done.

Not fun.

Although being ripped on painkillers for the next few days was quite fun.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:28 pm UTC

Anesthesia:
Spoiler:
My first time (for my wisdom teeth) being put under, I just remember laying in the chair and watching someone inject something into the IV. Then another thing. Then another. I started feeling kind of light, like I was about to lift off the chair. I watched him inject one more syringe into the IV and I'm pretty sure I saw him going for another. I vaguely remember being led to the car for my girlfriend to drive me home. I don't remember the drive home, but I remember sitting on the couch after that.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:06 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:

For what it's worth, mine wasn't even detectable until I was 19 and there's only one! It's not going anywhere and it doesn't hurt, so I get to keep my wisdom. :P
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:07 pm UTC

I don't think my wisdom teeth will ever come in. They gave me an xray when I was having my braces done (which took 5.5 years due to the fact that a bunch of my teeth didn't want to fall out) which didn't even show them lying in wait.
GNU Terry Pratchett

flintlockpistols

Postby flintlockpistols » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:53 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Just make sure a loved one records you post-surgery and puts it on Youtube for us all to enjoy.

I'm actually really interested to see how I react afterwards. I know my dad has to have the heavy duty stuff because anything less makes him paranoid as fuck and thrash around like he's having seizures. *shiver*

darknut

Postby darknut » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:05 pm UTC

oh is it teeth pulling stories time, i wanna share

Spoiler:
had to have all my wisdom removed at 18. didnt go for the sleepy times, instead had numb times. worst part; the needles to start. first three, easy. fourth became difficult, had to jam his tools into my jaw real hard, felt like he was ganna tear my jaw off. next few days; empty teeth hole: meh, right side jaw: sore to say the least
poxic wrote: Take a source of light and cook it up until it lases -- now you have a laser.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:49 pm UTC

Cathy wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:

For what it's worth, mine wasn't even detectable until I was 19 and there's only one! It's not going anywhere and it doesn't hurt, so I get to keep my wisdom. :P

Mine are just coming in and I'm 20. Some people don't get them.

I don't know how much age is a factor, but I think it's whether they're impacted and if it's bony that makes it an issue (at least that's what looking for insurance leads me to believe).

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:47 am UTC

Teeth pulling an' that.
Spoiler:
When I had my two front teeth removed, I remember talking about how brookes students (the main other oxford uni) were annoying, then apologising (like maybe halfway through? because people were worried I was speaking) and then half a conversation with my friend some indeterminate time after. It was on my sofa at home, and it weirded him out that I brought it up later on, he figured I couldn't remember anything, so said some things he maybe wouldn't've otherwise.

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:52 am UTC

I had two of my baby teeth removed when I was seventeen; they had completely fused to the jaw. That cracking sound ... *shudders*
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:16 am UTC

Hilarious blog post about gendered marketing. The youtube clip at the end is really cute too.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:37 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Hilarious blog post about gendered marketing. The youtube clip at the end is really cute too.

Also I'm midways through Planescape torment, fuck why didn't I play this game earlier, it's awesome.

emceng

Postby emceng » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:58 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
Also I'm midways through Planescape torment, fuck why didn't I play this game earlier, it's awesome.

Every time I hear about this game it makes me wonder what I missed. I played it and enjoyed it, but it didn't blow me away. Probably my biggest issue was combat being very difficult, and I spent way too much time waiting for the nameless one to regenerate health.

Then I think maybe I'll give it another shot.

Then I remember why I stopped playing in the first place. The game hardcore fucked my computer. I had to reinstall windows twice, and it's still not back to where it was before.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:31 pm UTC

I bought a song on iTunes, but it refuses to show up in my library. I can put it in playlists, but not the main library? Wtf apple?
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:23 pm UTC

That's what you get for buying music.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Return to “General”