Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

PerchloricAcid

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby PerchloricAcid » Thu May 31, 2012 3:05 pm UTC

emceng wrote:No, just errant mis-dials. Caller 1 dialed their parents, and got me. Caller 2 was looking for Mrs. X. Caller 3 left a voice message for his son. Caller 4 was trying to call her husband. When asked, she was trying to reach e.g. 555-123-4567, when my number is 555-908-0814. No digits the same after area code. But this many calls, in this many days, for obviously different people?

This is very intriguing. :?
Is it still happening?

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu May 31, 2012 3:37 pm UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:
emceng wrote:No, just errant mis-dials. Caller 1 dialed their parents, and got me. Caller 2 was looking for Mrs. X. Caller 3 left a voice message for his son. Caller 4 was trying to call her husband. When asked, she was trying to reach e.g. 555-123-4567, when my number is 555-908-0814. No digits the same after area code. But this many calls, in this many days, for obviously different people?

Is it still happening?

Thing that appeared in my head after reading that exchange:
Spoiler:
Cosmos channeled eyes toward Charles, who started sweating more than usual. Any time now, he would have a fate-day. He didn't have one scheduled, because there were sentient errors in the machinery and Cosmos spoke through them. So people started misdialing to Charles' phone: Miss Nugart who was looking for her lost son and actually thought she'd found him for twenty whole seconds, Jetarsqua who was looking for coke, etc. At first it was funny, then worrying, then annoying. Then Ms. Jones called, speaking for fifty seconds about the Belgrade situation and Charles played along and his number was traceable.

Edit: not that I think you should be worried, or anything.
Last edited by Kewangji on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

elminster

Postby elminster » Thu May 31, 2012 10:44 pm UTC

People who obviously want you to do something you don't want you to do, but instead of accepting "No thanks" they keep asking in various ways or give you reasons why you shouldn't do otherwise.
To me, things like "No" means "No", not "No, ask me 15 times more and I'll say yes". Sure, some people might try persuade you, but it's really annoying that you have to be at least borderline offensive to get them to understand that "No" means "No" the first time.
It's even worse when they're intersperse it with "...but, please, do what you like" as if you weren't already doing what you like and their upcoming questions are in no way trying to get you to do otherwise.

I got to be less polite about these kind of things. People just don't get it otherwise. Saving 15mins and a whole load of stress is so worth it.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:55 am UTC

elminster wrote:People who obviously want you to do something you don't want you to do, but instead of accepting "No thanks" they keep asking in various ways or give you reasons why you shouldn't do otherwise.
To me, things like "No" means "No", not "No, ask me 15 times more and I'll say yes". Sure, some people might try persuade you, but it's really annoying that you have to be at least borderline offensive to get them to understand that "No" means "No" the first time.
It's even worse when they're intersperse it with "...but, please, do what you like" as if you weren't already doing what you like and their upcoming questions are in no way trying to get you to do otherwise.

I got to be less polite about these kind of things. People just don't get it otherwise. Saving 15mins and a whole load of stress is so worth it.

When people keep asking me to do things I don't want to, I usually do the opposite or annoy them in some other way :P

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:01 pm UTC

I guess most people keep nagging because a lot of people aren't able to stand their ground and will say yes eventually.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:31 pm UTC

People who extrapolate their personal experience to other people's problems, even after other people explain why the extrapolation is wrong. :evil:
Or, in other words, I've trusted some people too much and figured they wouldn't be pricks to me.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:34 pm UTC

PerchloricAcid wrote:

Is it still happening?

Still happening. Found out more since then. I'm just getting one person's calls. It is someone's home phone number being sent to me. Talked to the homeowner/wife twice now. She can't explain it either, and called their phone company about it Tuesday. She called me again yesterday to say they were supposed to have it fixed by 7 PM. Got one call at 7:45, but nothing since then. So maybe it is fixed.

But yeah, the only thing worse than a telemarketer? A telemarketer that calls 5 times in 3 days, for someone that isn't you.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:49 pm UTC

Hm, that could be the operators mistake. Interesting. :D how did you find out?

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:16 pm UTC

Answered the phone a few times, and asked the caller what number they tried to get. And like I said, there's no way that many people were misdialing 7 numbers.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:35 pm UTC

Do you know anyone that works in the phone business that might be pranking you?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:29 pm UTC

Either that or a serious technical fault. I'd say call tech support

(Wait... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO)

and make sure they know about it. That's the sort of thing that confuses you and appears inane at first, and then you realize pretty horrible things can happen if people abuse it, or the stars align into a bad combination of events.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:52 pm UTC

Yeah, already called my phone provider, they said they'd call theirs. Then got a call this morning about it, from their phone provider, trying to reach them... We'll see what happens.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

I hate my car. Haaaaaaaaaate.

I'd sell it, but the amount I think I'd get for it dwindles with each new problem that arises.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:17 pm UTC

Failed an exam because I'm too slow, spilled water on my laptop, feeling blue overall, have to study (a fucking lot).

raike

Postby raike » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:50 pm UTC

Hurt my knees again. Both of them this time. I really need to stop being an idiot and over-training...
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." - H.J. Kaiser
رات دن گردش میں ہیں سات آسماں
ہو رہیگا کچھ نہ کچھ گھبرائیں کیا
(غالب)

PerchloricAcid

Postby PerchloricAcid » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:41 pm UTC

At least you train. :D

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:15 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Either that or a serious technical fault. I'd say call tech support

Have you tried turning the telephone network off and back on again?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:02 pm UTC

Nah, blowing into the mouthpiece and rubbing it against my t-shirt worked.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:00 am UTC

Dear Guy-standing-next-to-me,

The shake-it-up-and-down-fast-and-pop-the-top-off coke bottle simulator on your Android may be really cool. I submit, however, that the middle of a crowded commuter train where there's barely room to stand is not the best place to demonstrate this fact to your mate.

Also, it makes it look like you're having a wank.

Cheers.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:39 pm UTC

Suzaku wrote:Dear Guy-standing-next-to-me,

The shake-it-up-and-down-fast-and-pop-the-top-off coke bottle simulator on your Android may be really cool. I submit, however, that the middle of a crowded commuter train where there's barely room to stand is not the best place to demonstrate this fact to your mate.

Also, it makes it look like you're having a wank.

Cheers.

Interestingly, the middle of a crowded commuter train in front of your friend is the scientifically proven most optimal place to "have a wank". Funny how that works.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:21 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Interestingly, the middle of a crowded commuter train in front of your friend is the scientifically proven most optimal place to "have a wank".
[Citation Needed]
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:35 pm UTC

I'll see if I can dig up a copy of Public Masturbation : Site Survey and Satisfaction Results. Had a decade of research behind it and it's testing methods seemed legitimate. A. Carrera wrote it, I believe.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:13 am UTC

I finally understand why people cancel weddings now. Except I already spent too much money. Fucking momzilla and groomzilla conspiring to make me into a bridezilla when I would really rather not be one because I just wanted to get it over with and sign the piece of paper at city hall and get on with life.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:58 pm UTC

Fuck my boyfriend's lying, theiving, never-cleaning-anything, slandering, singing-off-key-in-the-middle-of-the-night, barging-in, harrassing-our-friends roommate.

Arisu

Postby Arisu » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:59 pm UTC

Sneezing all day long, thank you hay-fever.
Next Sunday I'll be playing a piece at my piano-teacher's end of year student concert*
Calling my GP Monday, hope she can give me some stronger medicine.

* I'll be playing this song (primo). I'm quite happy that I can play that after having played the piano just shy of two years. It only took me two weeks of practise too!

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:57 pm UTC

Freaking IE. If some message pops up while you've got a menu open, you can't close the menu. So if I say switch tabs and go to open a favorite, but tab #1 pops up a message? Yeah, all of a sudden IE is frozen and you can't figure out wtf is going on. Because the menu is covering the pop up.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:50 am UTC

Women. I'm sick of your new boyfriends. Boyfriends. I'm sick of your new girlfriends. You flaunt your relationship before the world just like you flaunt your clothes and your car and your job and your overinflated sense of self. You'll dispense with one and get another shortly after just so you still have something to flaunt so everyone can see how awesome you are. Well, you're not awesome. Not at all.

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:53 pm UTC

Jeez, let people be happy!
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:06 pm UTC

"I'm not happy; therefore, NOBODY CAN BE!"
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:20 pm UTC

Wait, am I mistaken? This isn't 555-012-RANT-THREAD?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

felltir wrote:Jeez, let people be happy!

I'm not exactly preventing them from being happy.

They do that themselves.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:23 pm UTC

You know, I can't remember the last time Jave D ranted in the rant thread without getting criticized. It's always the same thing: Jave D rants, someone tells him to lighten up, someone else reminds the first someone that it is a rant thread. This should probably stop.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:24 pm UTC

Firefox 13 is a pile of severed arse cheeks. They've added a new tab page a bit like Opera's speed dial thing and made scrolling smooth. Both quite nice features, but at the same time they've broken gnash and I can't install any addons from their website. I also can't open the preferences for any of my addons. It looks like I'm going to have to revert to FF12 until they fix it.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:06 pm UTC

Ptolom wrote:at the same time they've broken gnash

What's weird is that Adobe Flash Player actually works better in FF13 than it had been for the past few weeks in FF12, despite Flash on Linux not being supported by Adobe anymore.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:58 pm UTC

I'm giving up on flash. I was only using it for youtube anyway, but I think I can get by downloading the videos that don't work with html5.

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:24 pm UTC

Not a rant, just a complaint: Turns out counselling/therapy/any kind of help in getting over my eating trouble is not offered for free like I thought, but costs a shitload of money. Reconsidering :|

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:06 pm UTC

Apparently Anonymous wrote:Not a rant, just a complaint: Turns out counselling/therapy/any kind of help in getting over my eating trouble is not offered for free like I thought, but costs a shitload of money. Reconsidering :|

Also it's not for everyone. Therapy didn't do shit in my case.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:18 pm UTC

Sigh, soccer would be a lot less unbearable to watch if everyone collectively decided to stop putting up with all this flopping and writhing in fake agony. It's embarrassing.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:01 pm UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:Sigh, soccer would be a lot less unbearable to watch if everyone collectively decided to stop putting up with all this flopping and writhing in fake agony. It's embarrassing.

I'm in favour of after-the-game suspensions if the video shows a player to have dived, personally.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

Even if they actually get pushed though, there's still 3 minutes of writhing around we have to sit through. I'm in favour of no foul unless there's blood.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Return to “General”