XKCD Meetup Sept 2007 - "I was there" thread.

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Was Gordon the asshole you thought he would be?

Yes
12%
No
32%
Lock'd
56%

Total votes: 75

DragonHawk

XKCD Meetup Sept 2007 - "I was there" thread.

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:51 am UTC

I figured we could use a thread for all the "I was there" posts which will doubtless be coming. So here it is: The Official* "I was there!" thread!

* Not actually official.** This thread and the poster are not affiliated with xkcd, Randall Munroe, the website host, the forum moderators, or Al Gore. Not responsible for third-party content. Brush after every meal. Be kind to animals (except raptors).

I was thinking a thread like this would be good, so I'm going to sticky it.
Also, I added a poll -G

** Gordon has blessed this thread with some red text and sticky goodness. So I guess this is now the Official unofficial official "I was there" thread! Woot! ;-)
Last edited by DragonHawk on Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:23 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:52 am UTC

I wasn't there.

Well then there was no need for you to effing post here, was there you twit? -G

venndiagram

Postby venndiagram » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:54 am UTC

I was there :)

GammaShade

Postby GammaShade » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:57 am UTC

I was, in fact, there. I was apparently there with some big names among the forumites, though I didn't realize it until we left for the trebuchet portion of the evening and the strutting began.

But hey, true to my word, I did wind up joining the fora as soon as I got home.

briguyd

Postby briguyd » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:58 am UTC

I was there! :D

armorsmith42

Postby armorsmith42 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:02 am UTC

I was there, in armor. And I did the MC Hammer slide. And then had to drive for 4 hours. I need pictures. Feel free to post them on the intertubes.

I also need the recipe for those swords, for they were sturdy and non kneecap-breaking
Last edited by armorsmith42 on Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul

6.626068 × 10-34 m^2 kg / s

spotrh

Postby spotrh » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:07 am UTC

I was there, along with my baby raptor, Ed.

I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I had a great time (even if I did have to bail early). It was good to see so many awesome people having fun.

Plus: I just moved to Arlington, one town over! I was able to walk to the meetup!

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:15 am UTC

So, anyway, I was there. Name tag said "Ben (DragonHawk)". I was in a sudo T-shirt (not that *that* narrows it down by much :)). I was also one of two people carrying a "Citation Needed" sign. Mine was the one *without* a handle and with "Semi-Protect the Constitution" written on the other side.

Totally cool event for a totally cool comic. I've been following xkcd on-and-off for some time now, but I only checked out the forums about a week and a half ago. Thank the gods I did, or I would have missed this, and that would have been sad (for me). So much cool stuff I don't know where to begin.

There had to be 200+ people in the area at the peak. I knew I was getting close on the way in when all of a sudden there were cars parked in every single spot along the street. Walking up was so surreal -- quiet neighborhood, then all of a sudden there's this giant crowd of people in this little park.

Geek shirts and pins and stuff *everywhere*. One cool thing about this is that everyone gets all the in-jokes and obscure references that normally just draw blank stares. Things like the guy with the T-shirt saying "/* No comment */". :lol:

There were modified signs which were themselves modified. The park had been re-christened "Randall Munroe Sweet Ass-Park". Someone had carefully changed every "No Dogs" logo to have the "No Raptors" logo instead. There were signature boards with about half the Internet writing messages -- many very clever ones, of course. Sidewalk chalk with comic quotes, diagrams, song lyrics, crypto keys. Interesting musical instruments. Coolness everywhere! Awesome! Oh me yarm! Ponies!! ;-) (No actual ponies.)

You could always tell where Randall was because of the thick mob of people that followed him around for autographs. I took some waiting, but I finally made it through, and he signed my sign! So I guess I got that citation. ;) Thanks!

Some cool gags I saw: Several people carrying signs/posters. A girl with a flying ferret on a stick. A guy dressed up in a cape and goggles (balloon conspicuously absent). A guy dressed in a rubber raptor mask and suit, dancing to a boom box. A guy in a sphere of coat-hangers. Several people with stick-people outlines on their clothes.

Greetings to: Shawn/Sean (?), the other "Citation Needed" sign guy. The nice girl (I didn't get your name, sorry!) who found my tape measure and gave it back to me. Joe/Kantank, Barbie, Helen, and Sarah, some cool xkcd'ers I ran into at the Museum of Science.

I'd like to offer thanks to all the people who did things to make the event "run" -- like put up signature boards and reality-modification signs. And, of course, Randall, for writing the comic, the idea of putting real time-space coordinates in a comic, and for signing my sign. You rock!

Clear skies, all! :D

-- Ben / DragonHawk

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:16 am UTC

I was there, in a Warhammer Online shirt!
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:18 am UTC

Alright peeps. Go nuts.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

awflame

Postby awflame » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:19 am UTC

Registered to say I was there!

Dark red shirt, apple store bag on my back.

ICDB

Postby ICDB » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:26 am UTC

I was there. Perhaps this could be annual?

bbctol

Postby bbctol » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:27 am UTC

ICDB wrote:I was there. Perhaps this could be annual?

Am I the only one who is expecting an announcement in tomorrow's comic along these lines?

GammaShade

Postby GammaShade » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:30 am UTC

Gordon wrote:Alright peeps. Go nuts.

I found your nametag on the T (after it fell off the awesome jacket of someone else whose forum name I don't know). I have apparently become imbued with asshole mod powers.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:30 am UTC

I don't know if I was there. Today was such a blur and I suddenly find myself in my room now wearing few clothes, very sweaty, tired feet, and for some reason I have Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice" stuck in my head...
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

marcmagus

Postby marcmagus » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:37 am UTC

I was there. Blue crumple-dye vest.

Shout-out to the other 25-ish people who were there at 14 28 00 UTC.

davidad
Psaltery-man is playing the Psaltery

Postby davidad » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:38 am UTC

I was there, wearing a gray and white striped shirt and a navy blue vest and carrying my bowed psaltery around. I went to Danehy and watched the trebuchet, and then to dinner with about 11 other people including Randall. I became aware of #xkcd and intend to join it. I like making statements that start with "I".

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:44 am UTC

Okita wrote:I don't know if I was there. Today was such a blur and I suddenly find myself in my room now wearing few clothes, very sweaty, tired feet, and for some reason I have Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice" stuck in my head...

You better be dacing raptor suit man, or I'm going to be disappointed.

rhichi

Postby rhichi » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:46 am UTC

Officially, I was there too (unofficially). I was the WPI girl with the striped pirate socks hanging out with (read: shamelessly snogging) the skinny kid in all white. I love nerds...

Hi Randall! You give good hugs.

Morlock

also there!!

Postby Morlock » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:55 am UTC

I was Dude-In-Batman-Shirt.

Singing with the kickass guitarists was a hell of a lot of fun, and i can't believe i almost didn't come!! i can't wait till next time :-)

bbctol

Postby bbctol » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:58 am UTC

davidad wrote:I was there, wearing a gray and white striped shirt and a navy blue vest and carrying my bowed psaltery around. I went to Danehy and watched the trebuchet, and then to dinner with about 11 other people including Randall. I became aware of #xkcd and intend to join it. I like making statements that start with "I".

You went to dinner? With Randall? You lucky fucking sonofabitch.

Don't worry, I only curse when jealous.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:00 am UTC

Okita wrote:I don't know if I was there. Today was such a blur and I suddenly find myself in my room now wearing few clothes, very sweaty, tired feet, and for some reason I have Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice" stuck in my head...

Big ups to this guy for actually carrying the cd player around the whole time. I still think we looked like a bad commercial with like 20 of us walking/dancing/strutting down the street to the music.

Get your verbs right, G. -Hodge.
eff off, I'm the asshole, remember. -G
Last edited by Gordon on Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

rhichi

Postby rhichi » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:05 am UTC

Hehe, Okita, it was funny. There were rumours floating around that you were Randall under that raptor head. That would have won.

Oh crap...I just lost twenty dollars and my self respect...

mrputter

Postby mrputter » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:07 am UTC

DragonHawk wrote:Greetings to: Shawn/Sean (?)

It's Sean, and greetings back!

(to everyone else: I was there, with the printed-out "Citation Needed" sign on a stick)

Much fun, but I'm at a net cafe and my time is running out, so will have to return to this forum when I get home to Calgary.

Greets to Casey & gang!

Elcynae

Postby Elcynae » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:13 am UTC

I was there, twice. As were my husband and my 16 month old girl. She was the little cute one in blonde pig-tails. I had my physics&sex t-shirt on, but I'm not nearly as cute as she is. ;) My husband was handing out good cookies and bad fudge.

We all had a great time, even though we didn't get to stay all that long. Thanks everyone for being collectively awesome. :)

ravnos

Postby ravnos » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:16 am UTC

Hey man, that was badass.

I was there, with my roommate and our friend, playing guitars. It was nice meeting all of you, glad we could add some music to the awesome. Definitely a fun time. I didn't get to really meet anyone (or Randall) but that was fine. We hung out, played guitar with/for people and sang, and it was badass. I posted this in another topic, but the song we wrote specifically for the meetup will be being recorded and once it is I will upload it and post a link on here for anyone who didn't get to hear it/"demanded" that we record it.

"I was there."
~Ian
http://www.aberrospecus.com

Member of [citation needed]: the XKCD meet-up band

"Normal people learn in order to survive. Geeks survive in order to have time to learn." - http://www.dieselsweeties.com/archive.php?s=1727

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:17 am UTC

Man, now I so wish I went. :( Can this please become annual?

justbecause

Postby justbecause » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:20 am UTC

was there... kind of wish I still was...
I forgot to hide in the trunk of the car heading back to Canada, though.

And to everyone who didn't go: Yes, it was as awesome as the best case scenario. Don't miss anything this cool ever again.

Edit: P.S. Did the folks who actually know Randall hear my suggestion of using subliminal messages to make him dream up more meetup coordinates? Maybe somewhere tropical in February...

Sam Weir

Postby Sam Weir » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:25 am UTC

Ah, hey, it's a second-but-now-official "I was there" thread. Yup, was there with my wife & 17 month-old. We enjoyed meeting you folks, and the little one enjoyed running around under the trees, signing a matress, wondering if the WPI guy would indeed find a date, and taking snapshots of tape measure athletes.

Safe travels home to those of you from far away. I posted a brief blog blurb, with a few meager photos & a video of "the countdown." But heck, I said that already on the reflections thread.

Here's to other such gatherings near and far.

-sw

T

Postby T » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:27 am UTC

I was there. And I'm so glad I made the trip. As the afternoon progressed the comments altered subtly from "Where are you from? The UK?" to "Are you the guy from the UK?" So, I guess I was "the guy from the UK". Apparently one of my countrymen also made the trip, but I didn't manage to meet up with him.
A journey of 3,500 miles begins with a single comic.

Geozgomer

Postby Geozgomer » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:32 am UTC

I was there in my "while(!(succeed = try()));" shirt. It was an incredible time. Thanks to all of the people that made this great: the "wah game" participants, random people I talked to, and everybody else. Absolutely amazing.

ANolan

Postby ANolan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:35 am UTC

Two girls were walking around with recorders and interviewing people. I'd love to listen to those.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:41 am UTC

Gordon wrote:

Big ups to this guy for actually carrying the cd player around the whole time. I still think we looked like a bad commercial with like 20 of us walking/dancing down the street to the music.

That walk/dance was among my favorite weekend experiences. One of the few things I can say topped it was the dance party on the train. Props to Okita for brining the music.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

TrisectableAngle

Postby TrisectableAngle » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:48 am UTC

ICDB wrote:I was there. Perhaps this could be annual?

Why annual? We have two equinoxes each year. 3/20/08 sounds as good a time as any!

Oh, and I was there. I didn't see everyone's shirt, but I might've been the only person in the "Maybe if this shirt is witty enough, someone will finally love me" one. Also, I have somewhat-long, dark hair. Perhaps I should lurk around these fora on a more-regular basis. (:

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:49 am UTC

I am *so* coming next time*.

*Assuming** there IS a next time.

**And by "assuming", I mean "Can there please be one?".
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:50 am UTC

I was there. (College-age guy in black/gray with glasses and brown hair. Yes, I know that helps so much.)
ANolan wrote:Two girls were walking around with recorders and interviewing people. I'd love to listen to those.

I also heard there was a reporter from a Boston newspaper. Any chance someone from the area could post a clipping/link to the paper's website when the article is printed?

I believe the thing to tag pictures on flickr was 'xkcddream', correct?

edit - Just remembered that my shirt was one of those Old Navy shirts with the American flag on them. Might help a bit.
Last edited by MissingDividends on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:51 am UTC

Blogger reporting in from my hot air balloon...

I was one of two bloggers from the future. The one with (in my opinion) more awesome goggles but a less awesome cape. Just need to say..

Man, that was so awesome! Just... everything about it. Screw yearly, we should do this every month!

I had a great time meeting everyone I didn't know, and thanks y'all for such an awesome experience!

Raptor guy was awesome, swordfighting was fun, saw some absolutely sweet-ass shirts. Props to hat guy, whoever that was, the one involved in the conversation by numbers!

Oh. that one guy who got the super long tape extension. That was amazing. You win.

I unfortunately missed this... trebuchet thing. Can someone enlighten me?

And hurrah for 4-chan being the country most people wanted to rule the world.

amedico

Postby amedico » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:51 am UTC

I was there, in the "i am not real" shirt.

rhichi

Postby rhichi » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:52 am UTC

T wrote:I was there. And I'm so glad I made the trip. As the afternoon progressed the comments altered subtly from "Where are you from? The UK?" to "Are you the guy from the UK?" So, I guess I was "the guy from the UK". Apparently one of my countrymen also made the trip, but I didn't manage to meet up with him.

Hey guy from the UK! I was the one with the boobs...*cough cough* shirt...that you photographed. The one that said Fd RNT/V sqrt (-1).

ravnos

Postby ravnos » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:52 am UTC

amedico wrote:I was there, in the "i am not real" shirt.

Nice, I believe you know my roommate, Brandon. He was talking to you.
Love the shirt.
~Ian

http://www.aberrospecus.com

Member of [citation needed]: the XKCD meet-up band

"Normal people learn in order to survive. Geeks survive in order to have time to learn." - http://www.dieselsweeties.com/archive.php?s=1727

Return to “XKCD Meetups”