1092: "Michael Phelps"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
rhomboidal
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 pm UTC
Contact:

1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:04 am UTC

Image

Title Text: [shortly] ... he ate ALL of it!?

Jello and Speedos are a fun but dangerous combination.

scalziand
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:02 pm UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby scalziand » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:07 am UTC

BAZINGA!

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:08 am UTC

But then he'd have no water. Which means mission accomplished.

That also means he wouldn't be able to exercise off the Jello, thus ensuring his demise.

mr.meker
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:10 am UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby mr.meker » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:12 am UTC

I don't think the jello would solidify with constant agitation.

Lodestar
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:27 am UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby Lodestar » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:18 am UTC

Reminds me of this:
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail187.html

Erik17
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:34 am UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby Erik17 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:46 am UTC

A professor and grad student from the U of Minnesota won the Ig Noble Prize in Chemistry in 2005 for showing that the viscosity of a fluid has almost no effect on the speed of a body moving through it. They filled a swimming pool with guar gum and compared lap times. There's more drag but you can push off with more force.

http://cse.umn.edu/admin/comm/features/2005_10_TAKING_THE_PLUNGE_FOR.php

User avatar
glasnt
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:18 am UTC
Location: SQUEE!

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby glasnt » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:47 am UTC

Surely he could have waited for the women's wrestling team to stop by before eating all of it...

sotanaht
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:14 am UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby sotanaht » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:14 am UTC

Erik17 wrote:A professor and grad student from the U of Minnesota won the Ig Noble Prize in Chemistry in 2005 for showing that the viscosity of a fluid has almost no effect on the speed of a body moving through it. They filled a swimming pool with guar gum and compared lap times. There's more drag but you can push off with more force.

http://cse.umn.edu/admin/comm/features/ ... GE_FOR.php


But there still should come a point where your strength isn't enough to provide the force necessary to overcome the drag. Also, jello isn't a fluid.

AL_
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:48 am UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby AL_ » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:52 am UTC

sotanaht wrote:
But there still should come a point where your strength isn't enough to provide the force necessary to overcome the drag.

I'd have thought this too. I'd love if someone could post up the paper referred too- I may be wrong, but I seem to have a memory that they only went to approx. double the viscosity of water.

Also, jello isn't a fluid.

:shock: it very much is, in rheological terms. It barely even verges on semi-solid territory (semi solids include materials that crack and shatter when you smack them with a hammer, but flow when you then leave them alone for a bit)

User avatar
brakos82
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:06 am UTC
Location: My happy place :)

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby brakos82 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:13 am UTC

AL_ wrote:
sotanaht wrote:
But there still should come a point where your strength isn't enough to provide the force necessary to overcome the drag.

I'd have thought this too. I'd love if someone could post up the paper referred too- I may be wrong, but I seem to have a memory that they only went to approx. double the viscosity of water.


Mythbusters did it too.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

User avatar
rainbrain
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:11 pm UTC
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Contact:

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby rainbrain » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:22 am UTC

cause he smokes weed.

thats the joke.

coredumperror
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:25 am UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby coredumperror » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:57 am UTC

rainbrain wrote:cause he smokes weed.

thats the joke.

Can't tell if you're trolling, or providing actual information. Just in case it's the second, what does Jello have to do with weed?

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:18 am UTC

AL_ wrote:
sotanaht wrote:
But there still should come a point where your strength isn't enough to provide the force necessary to overcome the drag.

I'd have thought this too. I'd love if someone could post up the paper referred too- I may be wrong, but I seem to have a memory that they only went to approx. double the viscosity of water.

Also, jello isn't a fluid.

:shock: it very much is, in rheological terms. It barely even verges on semi-solid territory (semi solids include materials that crack and shatter when you smack them with a hammer, but flow when you then leave them alone for a bit)


I think you are thinking of a non-newtonian fluid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Newtonian_fluid
Jelly is a quasi-solid, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasi-solid

Dave
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:26 pm UTC
Location: London. Londinium.

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby Dave » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:01 am UTC

coredumperror wrote:
rainbrain wrote:cause he smokes weed.

thats the joke.

Can't tell if you're trolling, or providing actual information.


I think rather than trolling, he was joking.

coredumperror wrote:Just in case it's the second, what does Jello have to do with weed?


My guess was the munchies!

User avatar
The Moomin
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:59 am UTC
Location: Yorkshire

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby The Moomin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:22 am UTC

If they'd added sponge, fruit, custard and cream it would have been a trifle more difficult to swim in.
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

Waladil
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:27 pm UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby Waladil » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:35 am UTC

Haven't laughed so hard in quite a long time.

Erik17
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:34 am UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby Erik17 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:05 am UTC

Full article is referenced at the end of this Nature News piece:

http://www.nature.com/news/2004/040920/full/news040920-2.html

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:09 am UTC

This joke went swimmingly.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:10 am UTC

AL_ wrote: :shock: it very much is, in rheological terms. It barely even verges on semi-solid territory (semi solids include materials that crack and shatter when you smack them with a hammer, but flow when you then leave them alone for a bit)


Obviously the analogy would be better with custard?
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:08 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:If they'd added sponge, fruit, custard and cream it would have been a trifle more difficult to swim in.


ba-dum tsk! although you forgot the brandy.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5933
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby Angua » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:18 pm UTC

Rum is better....

Also, rum butter is better than brandy butter.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong
Posts: 1842
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:36 pm UTC
Location: in your ceiling, judging you

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:31 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:If they'd added sponge, fruit, custard and cream it would have been a trifle more difficult to swim in.


Judges:
US: 10.0
China: 9.9
UK: 10.0
France: 10.0
Russia: 9.6
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:43 pm UTC

Erik17 wrote:Full article is referenced at the end of this Nature News piece:

http://www.nature.com/news/2004/040920/full/news040920-2.html



Best swimmer:
Image
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:07 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Rum is better....

Also, rum butter is better than brandy butter.


Yeah I prefer rum too.

Either way a trifle is better with booze in it.

kelvinc
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby kelvinc » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:09 pm UTC

Article in full:
http://146.83.42.4/tics12011/160672994/swim%20in%20syrup.pdf

Short answer: most of the drag in the water is from turbulence, not viscosity.

User avatar
The Moomin
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:59 am UTC
Location: Yorkshire

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby The Moomin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:09 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:
The Moomin wrote:If they'd added sponge, fruit, custard and cream it would have been a trifle more difficult to swim in.


ba-dum tsk! although you forgot the brandy.

AvatarIII wrote:
Angua wrote:Rum is better....

Also, rum butter is better than brandy butter.


Yeah I prefer rum too.

Either way a trifle is better with booze in it.


I've never heard of Rum or Brandy trifles, only Sherry trifles. Is this a regional variance?
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

User avatar
yellow103
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby yellow103 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:54 pm UTC

He burns/eats so many calories(1000 an hour from what i hear), the day he stops exercising he would become a gold metalist in weight.

ioresult
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby ioresult » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:10 pm UTC

Jello won't take in normal temperature. Using corn starch would be a lot better. Then you get the non-newtonian fluid that will stop Phelps in his tracks.

User avatar
bmonk
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm UTC
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby bmonk » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:32 pm UTC

ioresult wrote:Jello won't take in normal temperature. Using corn starch would be a lot better. Then you get the non-newtonian fluid that will stop Phelps in his tracks.

I thought this too. GOOMHI!
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

User avatar
ahammel
My Little Cabbage
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am UTC
Location: Vancouver BC
Contact:

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby ahammel » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:39 pm UTC

ioresult wrote:Jello won't take in normal temperature. Using corn starch would be a lot better. Then you get the non-newtonian fluid that will stop Phelps in his tracks.

"Great, now Usain Bolt is running around on the surface of our pool. Oh God, he's playing tag with Micahel Phelps. GET OFF MY POOL, USAIN BOLT AND MICHAEL PHELPS!"

"Man, this is worse than that time Sergei Bubka got stuck on our roof."
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

SimonMoon5
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:00 pm UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby SimonMoon5 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:28 pm UTC

What about using Squishy Baff?

User avatar
San Fran Sam
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby San Fran Sam » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:33 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
AL_ wrote: :shock: it very much is, in rheological terms. It barely even verges on semi-solid territory (semi solids include materials that crack and shatter when you smack them with a hammer, but flow when you then leave them alone for a bit)


Obviously the analogy would be better with custard?


Right. How many people would have gotten the joke if the boxes had "Junket" on the side?

webgiant
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby webgiant » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:22 pm UTC

coredumperror wrote:
rainbrain wrote:cause he smokes weed.

thats the joke.

Can't tell if you're trolling, or providing actual information. Just in case it's the second, what does Jello have to do with weed?

Wow, I suspect you've never smoked weed, or have amazing self-control around desserts in particular and food in general.

coredumperror
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:25 am UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby coredumperror » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:30 pm UTC

webgiant wrote:
coredumperror wrote:
rainbrain wrote:cause he smokes weed.

thats the joke.

Can't tell if you're trolling, or providing actual information. Just in case it's the second, what does Jello have to do with weed?

Wow, I suspect you've never smoked weed, or have amazing self-control around desserts in particular and food in general.

Right on the first count, lol. I'd be more than happy to try weed brownies, or something similar, but my dad's cigarette smoking throughout my entire life has turned me off of all smoking of any kind.

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:43 am UTC

The Moomin wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:
The Moomin wrote:If they'd added sponge, fruit, custard and cream it would have been a trifle more difficult to swim in.


ba-dum tsk! although you forgot the brandy.

AvatarIII wrote:
Angua wrote:Rum is better....

Also, rum butter is better than brandy butter.


Yeah I prefer rum too.

Either way a trifle is better with booze in it.


I've never heard of Rum or Brandy trifles, only Sherry trifles. Is this a regional variance?


it might just be a case of "whatever sweet spirit is available" since I've heard of all 3 varieties. I think Sherry might be the original though.

ahammel wrote:
ioresult wrote:Jello won't take in normal temperature. Using corn starch would be a lot better. Then you get the non-newtonian fluid that will stop Phelps in his tracks.

"Great, now Usain Bolt is running around on the surface of our pool. Oh God, he's playing tag with Micahel Phelps. GET OFF MY POOL, USAIN BOLT AND MICHAEL PHELPS!"

"Man, this is worse than that time Sergei Bubka got stuck on our roof."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4xkvCcAers

User avatar
The Moomin
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:59 am UTC
Location: Yorkshire

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby The Moomin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:16 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:it might just be a case of "whatever sweet spirit is available" since I've heard of all 3 varieties. I think Sherry might be the original though.


Guess I better get buying some alcohol and making trifles to compare them :D

It's a hard life.
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

User avatar
5th Earth
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:22 pm UTC
Location: Santa Cruz, California

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby 5th Earth » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:51 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:
AL_ wrote:
sotanaht wrote:
But there still should come a point where your strength isn't enough to provide the force necessary to overcome the drag.

I'd have thought this too. I'd love if someone could post up the paper referred too- I may be wrong, but I seem to have a memory that they only went to approx. double the viscosity of water.

Also, jello isn't a fluid.

:shock: it very much is, in rheological terms. It barely even verges on semi-solid territory (semi solids include materials that crack and shatter when you smack them with a hammer, but flow when you then leave them alone for a bit)


I think you are thinking of a non-newtonian fluid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Newtonian_fluid
Jelly is a quasi-solid, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasi-solid


You're both wrong. Jello is a gel, specifically a hydrogel. It is neither solid or liquid, but instead a colloid of liquid suspended in a mesh-like network of solid material. Specifically, fruit-flavored sugar water suspended in a network of protein. Physically, this acts a lot like a quasi-solid, but since it's a colloid it's not really accurate to say that it is one.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:09 am UTC

5th Earth wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:
AL_ wrote:
sotanaht wrote:
But there still should come a point where your strength isn't enough to provide the force necessary to overcome the drag.

I'd have thought this too. I'd love if someone could post up the paper referred too- I may be wrong, but I seem to have a memory that they only went to approx. double the viscosity of water.

Also, jello isn't a fluid.

:shock: it very much is, in rheological terms. It barely even verges on semi-solid territory (semi solids include materials that crack and shatter when you smack them with a hammer, but flow when you then leave them alone for a bit)


I think you are thinking of a non-newtonian fluid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Newtonian_fluid
Jelly is a quasi-solid, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasi-solid


You're both wrong. Jello is a gel, specifically a hydrogel. It is neither solid or liquid, but instead a colloid of liquid suspended in a mesh-like network of solid material. Specifically, fruit-flavored sugar water suspended in a network of protein. Physically, this acts a lot like a quasi-solid, but since it's a colloid it's not really accurate to say that it is one.


this makes sense

guy_mcpants
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:45 am UTC

Re: 1092: "Michael Phelps"

Postby guy_mcpants » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:48 am UTC

Of *course* he ate all of it. There's ALWAYS room for Jello.

(No, I'm not apologizing for that joke. It's your fault for reading it.)


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 40 guests