1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sellyme

Re: 1107: "Sports Cheat Sheet"

Postby sellyme » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:31 am UTC

karanj wrote:
karadoc wrote:In Australia I don't hear much about either of those types of football; there is some round football stuff (soccer) but the majority of sport news is about AFL and cricket...

Well, even that varies within Australia in a way that the US doesn't even come close to. In NSW/QLD you'll get something along the following timetable:

Jan: Cricket
Feb: Cricket
Mar: NRL and a little bit of European soccer finals
Apr: NRL
May: NRL
Jun: NRL
Jul: State of Origin
Aug: NRL
Sep: NRL
Oct: Um... so how about that NRL Grand Final huh
Nov: Cricket
Dec: Cricket

while in VIC/SA you'll get:
Feb: AFL pre-season
Mar: AFL
Apr: AFL
May: AFL
Jun: AFL
Jul: AFL
Aug: AFL
Sep: AFL
Oct: Horse Racing and the AFL draft
Nov: Melbourne Cup/Cricket
Dec: Cricket

It's such a disjoint within the country, it's amazing.

In SA at least the horse racing is definitely not a big thing. A few people will watch the Melbourne Cup, but that's pretty much it. The Adelaide Cup is just a day off work, nothing more.
Sellyme is a je- Wait no.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:38 am UTC

The first thing I thought on seeing this was "don't Australians have their own kind of football too?"

But yeah, in England it's pretty much football all year round outside of some single events such as the Ashes.
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

sellyme

Postby sellyme » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:40 am UTC

flicky1991 wrote:The first thing I thought on seeing this was "don't Australians have their own kind of football too?"

But yeah, in England it's pretty much football all year round outside of some single events such as the Ashes.

Yep. It (the AFL) is, to my knowledge, the most attended national sporting league per capita in the world, and one of the most attended sporting leagues full stop.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:59 am UTC

Australian sports conversation is also heavily dependent on how well our national team is faring (so include, say, sailing in September 1983, or cycling in July the last few years) or whether an athlete was photographed with a firearm.

BTW, check out the List of stadiums by capacity and check out the number of tenants at each ground, then look at the Aussie stadia. We love our sports.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Fritzed

Postby Fritzed » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:13 am UTC

Oflick wrote:In before "I'm from [country that isn't the US] and I argue about [sport that isn't football (soccer)]".

But I think I'm already too late for that.

How about, "I'm from Seattle (which is in the US) and we argue about football (soccer) most of the year."

bjowen

Postby bjowen » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:15 am UTC

With China's hundreds of millions of football fans, that right-hand column's a pretty good approximation. India's significant cricket-mad population *might* swing it around in test season, but I don't think AFL, Union and League put together would show up at all, sorry Commonwealth...

karanj wrote:
while in VIC/SA you'll get:
Feb: AFL pre-season
Mar: AFL

Jan: Tennis season. Cricket season. TENNIS SEASON. CRICKET SEASON. etc.
Mar: Grand prix, which city hates the grand prix more, who doesn't want it next year... Is there any AFL on?

Covane

Postby Covane » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:31 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:2) This opinion is not a reasonable one anyway, as even though the Red Sox did defeat the Yankees tonight (or last night, depending on where you are as I type this), the Yankees still have a 75 percent of making the playoffs after the defeat, so this one game did not "seriously damage" the Yankees' postseason hopes.

I wouldn't say that. At this point, with the contention between the Yankees and Orioles (and to a lesser extent, the Rays,) every win matters. With the Yankees' loss and the Orioles' win the two went back to being tied for first. If the Orioles take the East then the Yankees (barring a critical winning failure,) get the WC and play the A's. The A's are the second best team in the AL right now and have done well against the Yankees this year, so I'd give them the win in the WC showdown. Even if the Yankees win, getting in through the WC puts them against the Rangers again, and the Rangers being the best team in the AL and having the history of beating the Yankees in the 2010 ALCS makes winning the division all the more important for New York. All this meaning tonight's loss does have importance to the postseason.

Also, there's the morale hit of losing to the Red Sox.

david_h

Postby david_h » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:37 am UTC

I would subscribe to a Twitter feed that supplied you with one reasonable sports opinion per day, like 'The Red Sox can't make the playoffs (championship games), but in last night's game their win seriously damaged the chances of the Yankees (longstanding rival team).'

IT Crowd did it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msN7HNncHik&t=2m10s

All you need to remember for football (in the UK, at least) is "Did you see that ludicrous display last night?" and "The thing about Arsenal is, they'll always try to walk it in." 8-)

teelo

Postby teelo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:38 am UTC

froggyrules wrote:Canada cheat sheet:

Jan. Hockey
Feb. Hockey
March Hockey
April Hockey
May Hockey
June Hockey
July Hockey
August Hockey
Sept. Hockey
Oct. Hockey
Nov. Hockey
Dec. Hockey

Australia/England/Ireland/New Zealand/South Africa cheat sheet:

Jan. Rugby
Feb. Rugby
Mar. Rugby
Apr. Rugby
May. Rugby
Jun. Rugby
Jul. Rugby
Aug. Rugby
Sep. Rugby
Oct. Rugby
Nov. Rugby
Dec. Rugby

orangustang

Postby orangustang » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:43 am UTC

The line in the title-text is too long for Twitter. "The Red Sox can't make the playoffs (championship games), but in last night's game their win seriously damaged the chances of the Yankees (longstanding rival team)." is 164 characters long. Strangely, the length of the string without spaces just barely fits (139 characters). So the question I'm left to ask myself is, did Randall disregard Twitter's length limit because he cared about content more than whether it would actually fit, or did he look at the wrong number when he checked its length?

Reijer

Postby Reijer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:46 am UTC

The problem with this view is that it is very US-centric. The reason it looks that way is that most of the rest of the world looks like Europe or South America to an USAN, I mean, Football is big, but China, India, Japan....Not to mention that every country has tends to have their own marginal sports which interest them but no one else...you know like tennis in England. In my country (Netherlands) we may talk about these weird marginal sports like swimming and skating even outside of olympic years. This comic exposes the cultural (and sports) bias of the author and says more about the US than it does about the rest of the world. Also, you don't need a sports twitter feed. Just listen to the background noise on the bus or metro...uhm, for americans that's like a car that you share. Ok you need a twitter feed.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:51 am UTC

Twitter counts spaces as characters so that tweet example, being 139 characters without spaces, is 165 with, making it 25 characters over the twitter limit!

edit just realised, ninja'd
Last edited by AvatarIII on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

sellyme

Postby sellyme » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:00 am UTC

orangustang wrote:The line in the title-text is too long for Twitter. "The Red Sox can't make the playoffs (championship games), but in last night's game their win seriously damaged the chances of the Yankees (longstanding rival team)." is 164 characters long. Strangely, the length of the string without spaces just barely fits (139 characters). So the question I'm left to ask myself is, did Randall disregard Twitter's length limit because he cared about content more than whether it would actually fit, or did he look at the wrong number when he checked its length?

Yeah, that was an issue with actually tweeting it. I just cut off the " (longstanding rival team)".

oty

Postby oty » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:06 am UTC

Ireland sport navigation:

Private school educated/shirt collar up/upwardly mobile: Rugby- support local province if they're not wearing green, Ireland if they are. Go to pub.

Countryside: GAA (two sports)- Name next town over. Call them dicks. Go to pub.

Other/unsure: Excuse to go to pub.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:07 am UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:Yes, I will bring this topic forward:

And I will cut it short: it's called football because it's a ball game played on foot, not because your feet do something with the ball. The opposite of football isn't handball, it's polo, like on horseback.

Therefore all games played on foot with some kind of ball are some variety of football, and none of them gets special priority on the name.

Me, I just circumvent the whole problem and talk year around about how the Sportland Sports play a mean game of Sportball. They always do so many points, it's awesome.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

ryzvonusef (1151717)

Postby ryzvonusef (1151717) » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:08 am UTC

Seriously, Randall, bleeping Cricket! The last time India and Pakistan met in the world cup semifinal, both countries shutdown, and nearly a Billion+ people followed that match the world over!

Also, a map:
Spoiler:

Clicking picture leads to wikipedia link.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:10 am UTC

sellyme

Postby sellyme » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:25 am UTC

ryzvonusef (1151717) wrote:Seriously, Randall, bleeping Cricket! The last time India and Pakistan met in the world cup semifinal, both countries shutdown, and nearly a Billion+ people followed that match the world over!

Also, a map:
Spoiler:

Clicking picture leads to wikipedia link.

Err, there is no way that Cricket is more popular than AFL in Australia.

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:31 am UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:Yes, I will bring this topic forward:

There's another kind of football — with contact, and without armor (padding) —
FOOTY!! 

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:32 am UTC

Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Nuxxy

Postby Nuxxy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:35 am UTC

I'm a South African who follows cricket more than rugby, couldn't care less about local soccer but keeps a tab on the UEFA Champion's League.

Also cricket is easily followed all year round. I've spent the winter season following the SA tour to England, because cricket is actually a world sport played regularly between national teams in both hemispheres, not like baseball, basketball, gridiron; AKA the American sports.

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:39 am UTC

Sports: Put the ball in the thing.

That's all every sport is.

SonofRojBlake

Postby SonofRojBlake » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:18 am UTC

This comic is either
(a) pretty insulting to the billion or so people who don't give a monkey's about football but treat certain cricketers as demigods, by implying they either don't exist, or the author knows they exist and doesn't care, OR
(b) insulting Americans by implying that to they believe themselves to be a vibrant culture with multiple sporting interests and the rest of the world to be a boring monoculture

Neither of these conclusions makes me smile. This is the first time xkcd has actually made me a bit angry.

sellyme

Postby sellyme » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:26 am UTC

SonofRojBlake wrote:This comic is either
(a) pretty insulting to the billion or so people who don't give a monkey's about football but treat certain cricketers as demigods, by implying they either don't exist, or the author knows they exist and doesn't care.

I'm pretty sure that saying that people aren't a majority isn't the same thing as saying they don't exist. There's thousands of sports not represented in this comic, it's not insulting to people who follow those sports.

jgh

Postby jgh » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:40 am UTC

[quote="PolakoVoador"]Yes, I will bring this topic forward:

Real Men don't wear armour to play handegg:

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:44 am UTC

sellyme wrote:
(a) pretty insulting to the billion or so people who don't give a monkey's about football but treat certain cricketers as demigods, by implying they either don't exist, or the author knows they exist and doesn't care.

I'm pretty sure that saying that people aren't a majority isn't the same thing as saying they don't exist. There's thousands of sports not represented in this comic, it's not insulting to people who follow those sports.

A billion people may not be a majority, but it's more than follow the sports on the left-hand side...

dwarduk2

Postby dwarduk2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:52 am UTC

What about the tennis mania? I suppose that's a singular event again in Britain (Wimbledon!), but it still eclipses football (soccer)

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:09 am UTC

teelo wrote:Australia/England/Ireland/New Zealand/South Africa cheat sheet:

Jan. Rugby
Feb. Rugby
Mar. Rugby
Apr. Rugby
May. Rugby
Jun. Rugby
Jul. Rugby
Aug. Rugby
Sep. Rugby
Oct. Rugby
Nov. Rugby
Dec. Rugby

Well, I'm in England and no-one ever talks about rugby even when it's on...
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:26 am UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
teelo wrote:Australia/England/Ireland/New Zealand/South Africa cheat sheet:

Jan. Rugby
Feb. Rugby
Mar. Rugby
Apr. Rugby
May. Rugby
Jun. Rugby
Jul. Rugby
Aug. Rugby
Sep. Rugby
Oct. Rugby
Nov. Rugby
Dec. Rugby

Well, I'm in England and no-one ever talks about rugby even when it's on...

Same, you just get those pockets of people who are rugby fans, and most of them are current or former rugby players. so it's mostly a niche thing.

Eldarion23

Postby Eldarion23 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:43 am UTC

Ok, the cycle in England needs to include the Ashes (cricket){difficult to include since it is always held in summer in the host nation, and the host nation is either England or Australia, and they don't agree on anything, including when summer is}, the 6 nations (rugby) and Wimbledon (tennis). Also the boat race (rowing), but that's only one day. The rest of the time it's football. I won't comment for the rest of the world, because I don't live there.

As to the handegg argument- all variations of football have their own names. Here is a list of some of the more popular:
Association Football (often shortened to Football outside the US, or Soccer {from Association} in the US, or where confusion may arise).
Rugby Union Football (often shortened to Rugby, with the football part of the name forgotten)
Rugby League Football (often laughed at as sissies by people who play Rugby Union)
American Football (often shortened to Football in the US, and laughed at as sissies by people who play Rugby Union)

To be clear, my favourite is Rugby Union.

inari1

Postby inari1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:46 am UTC

From here in the 'non-us' portion of earth where soccer is neither popular nor called football I'm pretty offended. I found that strip sad and racially offensive.

sellyme

Postby sellyme » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:27 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
sellyme wrote:

A billion people may not be a majority, but it's more than follow the sports on the left-hand side...

But a billion people aren't in the demographic examined on the left-hand side. A billion people aren't the majority in either of the two demographics.

opisthokonta

Postby opisthokonta » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:27 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:And I will cut it short: it's called football because it's a ball game played on foot, not because your feet do something with the ball. The opposite of football isn't handball, it's polo, like on horseback.

Therefore all games played on foot with some kind of ball are some variety of football, and none of them gets special priority on the name.

There is actually a real sport called handball, where the ball is handled by the players hands. it is a quite popular sport in europe at least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_handball

javahead

Postby javahead » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:48 am UTC

Jai alai haters. :(

toonarmycaptain

Postby toonarmycaptain » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:55 am UTC

I am pleased many people have pointed out that most of the rest of the world does talk about other sports. Cricket, tennis rugby, basketball, netball, grass hockey, lacrosse, AFL (in Australia, New Zealand and oddly enough South Africa).

AFL - the most patronised per capita? Cool.

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:13 pm UTC

People are misunderstanding the concept of Cheat Sheet.

Randall isn't using it to start topics of discussion (that's what the Twitter feed would be for); he's using it to suss out what sport people are discussing.

So while there are fans of other sports - and they discuss other sports - the cheat sheet lays out which sport has the highest probability of being discussed if a discussion is encountered at random.

PS: Thanks to Pfhorrest for his "And I will cut it short: it's called football because it's a ball game played on foot, not because your feet do something with the ball. The opposite of football isn't handball, it's polo, like on horseback." comment, it's almost infuriating how many people don't realize this, and then have the nerve to act all smug in their ignorance.
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:13 pm UTC

For The Netherlands at least, the chart is pretty true. Of course we play, and watch, other sports too, but football probably gets more coverage than all other sports combined.

Except for the month of July. July is 90% cycling.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

password

Postby password » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:18 pm UTC

Randall, if you don't care about sports, embrace it! No need for a tweeter feed of fake sports opinions. (I heartily embrace my not-caring.)

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:18 pm UTC

Instead of complaining, I suggest those from other countries put together their own chart. Remember, tho, only one sport at a time so it has to be the predominantly discussed sport.

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:19 pm UTC

Also reminds me of this:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”