1109: "Refrigerator"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

MadH

Re: 1109: "Refrigerator"

Postby MadH » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:05 pm UTC

wolftune wrote:
Whizbang wrote: Is there even the beginnings of a science to testing food edibility by testing the ambient air around a particular food item? The current date method is flawed, and possibly even manipulated to encourage more frequent buying (although food is already sush a consumable item, this seems a bit silly), but it is the best we've got. If we just got rid of these dates and told people to use their noses/judgement, there would be all sorts of people coming down with food poisoning. I know I would be a horrible judge of the "goodness" of food, just from sight and smell. So we need to rely on some sort of intelligent system to tell us to maybe avoid the yogurt at the back of the shelf. The FDA and food manufacturers set those dates to avoid sickness and lawsuits.

That not to say anything about the differences between "best by" and "sell by" dates, though. "Sell by" annoys me, a lot.

You really should watch Dive! the film

There's obviously a continuum between perfectly fresh and obviously bad. You can easily learn through sight and smell to recognize when something is fine. Your claim about people using noses/judgment as unreliable is questionable. We evolved to be able to tell things like when food is rotten. We can easily decide to be cautious and give up on anything iffy. Some FDA dates are reasonable and some items really have a strict shelf life, but lots do not. But really, if you want to claim that humans are terrible at identifying good and bad food after some reasonable quick learning — burden is on you to provide evidence. Otherwise, it's just FUD.

I think we should use date as a guide, as part of our information, but we should absolutely not use it as the only deciding factor.

I have a terrible sense of smell. I literally cannot tell if milk is spoiled by smelling it. I'd have to taste it and hope for the best, or have someone else smell it for me. In this regard, dates printed on the package are handy for me so I can have at least an idea if what I'm about to put in my mouth will result in an immediate spit-out or not.

Also, when trying food for the first time, sometimes there is no real way to know what something is supposed to taste or smell like (at least we know it should look the same way we bought it - hoping that what's on the shelf is not already bad, which is possible - but what if it's in an opaque container when we bought it?) For instance, a person who has never encountered bleu cheese in their life might think it's gone bad when it's perfectly fine. Someone who has never had yogurt might think it's normal for it to be kind of sour tasting (I'm not talking greek yogurt here). For new food items, the expiration date at least tells someone that their new food item has a very good chance of being just fine.

I mean heck, I hadn't had a plum in so long and bought one accidentally the other day. I bit into it and thought, "Is that what plums taste like? Maybe it's gone bad. I don't remember plums tasting like this. It's kind of...brown inside. Maybe it's overripe? But it's not THAT squishy. I thought the outside was supposed to be dark purple though. Maybe it's a different kind of plum than I had as a kid...hmm..."
Well, I didn't get sick from it so it must have been fine, but darn if I wasn't confused about it. And fruit doesn't even come with expiration dates.

So no, it's not necessarily easy to tell through sight, smell, and taste if something has gone bad if you have no idea what "good" is supposed to be in the first place. It's even more difficult if one of your senses is shot. Regardless, I get along just fine - the only times I've gotten sick are from eating at restaurants. I may have thrown some food items out too early though, because I just couldn't tell...

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

"I have no idea what this is supposed to taste like"
"Not like this"

Chef, "Rice and Peas"
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

MadH

Postby MadH » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:22 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:"I have no idea what this is supposed to taste like"
"Not like this"

Chef, "Rice and Peas"

Yuuuup.
It's why I feel a little lost if I get a recipe that doesn't come with a picture.
Also, plenty of bacteria is already growing in food while it still looks, smells, and tastes just fine.
If humans were so smart about food, so many of us wouldn't have shunned Tomatoes for years, thinking they were not fit for eating. As a kid I almost ate pokeberries until my father stopped me. None of us can be knowledgeable about ALL the food in the world.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:44 pm UTC

endolith wrote:So his ideal fridge is empty? My fridge is usually empty, but that's not ideal.

This is my ideal fridge:

I always felt that the replicators were very good at following implied constraints. When Picard asks for "tea, Earl Grey, hot", how does it know he also prefers "brewed in water, presented in a cup, less than fifty litres"?

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:56 pm UTC

bantler wrote:
JimsMaher wrote:Wouldn't it be more efficient to put the trash bin on the non-hinge side of the door?

Swapping the fridge-hinge side is one of the greatest home projects/pranks of all time.

… Especially unnerving if the freezer and refrigerator are side-by-side, and both door-hinges are flipped.

Sunidesus

Postby Sunidesus » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:11 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
endolith wrote:So his ideal fridge is empty? My fridge is usually empty, but that's not ideal.

This is my ideal fridge:

I always felt that the replicators were very good at following implied constraints. When Picard asks for "tea, Earl Grey, hot", how does it know he also prefers "brewed in water, presented in a cup, less than fifty litres"?

I wonder if the replicators had some kind of "personal settings file" for each user. Like a favorites list, we just never saw it being set up because that would be terribly boring.

I have some personal cookbook software that (in a significantly less fancy way) does something similar. If I tell it I'm using "corn" it will give me a bunch of generic options, but I can also put in the specifics for exactly what I'm using. It remembers that and the next time I say I'm using "corn" it'll use the specific one.

MadH

Postby MadH » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:18 pm UTC

Sunidesus wrote:
da Doctah wrote:

I wonder if the replicators had some kind of "personal settings file" for each user. Like a favorites list, we just never saw it being set up because that would be terribly boring.

I have some personal cookbook software that (in a significantly less fancy way) does something similar. If I tell it I'm using "corn" it will give me a bunch of generic options, but I can also put in the specifics for exactly what I'm using. It remembers that and the next time I say I'm using "corn" it'll use the specific one.

I'm pretty sure they have some personal settings. It probably also has some overarching settings like "humans do not expect drinks above 1 liter unless otherwise specified". The question is, is the computer smart enough to decide about that on its own, or did someone have to manually code all of these drink settings by hand? I think there's a few episodes where the computer has no idea what they're trying to order. Fed up with trying to sufficiently explain every detail to the computer, they settle for something it knows like "hot chocolate". I think at least once the computer tried with the data it was given and the result was undrinkable.

Either way, a replicator would also be my favorite. I've always imagined the people on Star Trek were raised with great eating habits, because right there at your fingertips is unlimited ice cream sundaes and cheese fries. At least until you hit your matter allowance for the day, anyway.

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:01 pm UTC

MadH wrote:I'm pretty sure they have some personal settings. It probably also has some overarching settings like "humans do not expect drinks above 1 liter unless otherwise specified". The question is, is the computer smart enough to decide about that on its own, or did someone have to manually code all of these drink settings by hand? I think there's a few episodes where the computer has no idea what they're trying to order. Fed up with trying to sufficiently explain every detail to the computer, they settle for something it knows like "hot chocolate". I think at least once the computer tried with the data it was given and the result was undrinkable.

The Enterprise computer seems pretty smart - observe any of the numerous episodes where they ask it to theorize about the space widget du jour - so I imagine it can sanity-check the replicator orders. It's just when it has no idea what they're even asking for that it hangs.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:34 pm UTC

I imagine the replicator knows to give a cupful of tea in an appropriate cup for much the same reason that the server at McDonalds knows how much soda to put into a cup - in both cases, there are established defaults that are (more-or-less) sensible. If you want something that isn't covered by the defaults, you need to go into more detail - and if you go too far outside the esablished parameters, then you'll trigger some sort of exception fault - with a replicator, it either produces a wild guess, or demands more data; with a McDonalds employee, they call for their manager...

MadH wrote:I've always imagined the people on Star Trek were raised with great eating habits, because right there at your fingertips is unlimited ice cream sundaes and cheese fries. At least until you hit your matter allowance for the day, anyway.

I dunno - I've been in the position of having a fairly unlimited food budget and, while, sure, I ate takeaway more often, and bought the occasional tub of Ben & Jerry's, once I got used to the idea I could do it any time I wanted, the idea of doing it now lost a lot of its appeal. The classic example is that of the chocolate factory employees who are actively encouraged to eat as much off the production lines as they want - and the company still has to pay QA tasters otherwise entire batches of chocolate would ship without anyone having sampled it.

In survival terms, gluttony is good when the food supply is uncertain - you gorge when you get the chance, so you can last through the lean times - but when the food supply is secure, moderation is better than over-eating.

cream wobbly

Postby cream wobbly » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:40 pm UTC

TickleMyElmo wrote:I feel the need to point out a flaw in Randall's design: the door dispenser won't work. It looks correct when the door is open, but when it is closed, the items will get wedged between the slide and the side of the fridge. The slide should direct the items away in a line perpendicular to the door.

Yes, I created an account for this. Someone on the internet is wrong! And it's Randall!

I saw that too. I guess from the lack of comments on this point that people just generally have a hard time visualizing this kind of thing. Perhaps I can use this nugget of information to come to terms with those frequent assertions that Ikea instructions are somehow "hard to follow".

TacoInTheSky

Postby TacoInTheSky » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:39 am UTC

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm massively missing the point due to fatigue, but aren't the labels backwards? The food is supposed to roll along getting older until it's rubbish and then it falls into the bin. So, shouldn't the labels to the right, near the bin, be old, and the labels to the left, far away from the bin, be newer?

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:43 am UTC

TacoInTheSky wrote:Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm massively missing the point due to fatigue, but aren't the labels backwards? The food is supposed to roll along getting older until it's rubbish and then it falls into the bin. So, shouldn't the labels to the right, near the bin, be old, and the labels to the left, far away from the bin, be newer?

I think the labels are meant to suggest how much time is left until the food spoils. Some spoils quickly (top shelf), and some stays good for quite a while (bottom).
I looked out across the river today …

TacoInTheSky

Postby TacoInTheSky » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:52 am UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:I think the labels are meant to suggest how much time is left until the food spoils. Some spoils quickly (top shelf), and some stays good for quite a while (bottom).

OHHHH. So, massively missing the point I was. Thanks!

noema

Postby noema » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:43 am UTC

This fridge would alleviate many frustrations in my house. Solve the unending problem of "When did we buy this/open this/cook this?"
Just before reading this comic my husband and I had a tedious discussion trying to remember when we bought the bacon in the fridge (from a butcher, so no labels). I don't even want to think of how much time in my life has been spent trying to remember how old certain food is. And there's still the uncertainty. "Ok, so it had to be a friday when we bought it. But which friday!?"

... as a side note, today I just realized there was a large tray of lime jello in the fridge, taking up half of an entire shelf. "So that's where that tray went!" We made jello three weeks ago. In that time I must have opened the fridge over 100 times. How did I not see this?

ellbur

Postby ellbur » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:43 am UTC

I want to explain something. Or, attempt to excuse something.

I see many of us are concerned that the time-based disposal will be inaccurate; we will waste perfectly good food, some bad stuff will survive, etc. Clearly we need to be more accurate, we need to sense the food, we can't just throw food away on time alone.

Ok. That is all so very true. And for responsible fridge owners, these are all valid concerns. But for people like me, my dad (man... so much my dad), and apparently, Randall, we see this differently. Let me tell you what it's like for us.

Look in fridge, hmm, when did I buy that milk? Well, pasta's boiling gotta check later. oh right, the milk. Well, I'll check later. Lying in bed at night, oh... man... forgot to check the milk... I guess tomorrow. Also I'm not sure about those collard greens. Ok. How about this: Tuesday when I don't have anything else to do i'll check out everything in the fridge. Oh, but the bathroom's a mess. Hmm... do you thnk the milk could still be good? I'm not sure if i want to know. If its bad I'll just feel guilty for wasting milk. I wish it would just go away. Please, oh god, I'll never buy milk again, just make it go away.

Make the milk go away.

And then you realize, sometime between 3 and 4 in the morning, that the milk is *never going away until you go in there and get it yourself.* And I hurts... but you're so tired... maybe if I just buy a new fridge, I won't have to look. I sort of close my eyes when I open the fridge now. It has been weeks.

And this is why, it doesn't matter how accurate it is. All you want is something to take it out of your hands. A benevolent overseer it reach in and make it all go away. To bring peace, and tell you it'll all be ok.

This is what it's like for us.
I don't think you realize that for me this is real.

noema

Postby noema » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:54 am UTC

ellbur wrote: Please, oh god, I'll never buy milk again, just make it go away.

*sob* you've seen into my soul

ReverendTed

Postby ReverendTed » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:56 am UTC

Whizbang wrote:There seems to be a variety of Food/Pantry Inventory apps available, though I couldn't find one with barcode scanning. This would be the best way to keep your fridge stocked with what fits where, but also an easy way to view items that are past their dates. Also, it is portable to take with you to the store to limit needless buying (Do I have a can of salsa already? I better buy one just in case. *Have two in fridge, opened, and 3 in cupboard, unopened). Would still require manual disposal, but at least this gives you the chance to decide if maybe it goes into a Wednesday night mish-mash casserole or into the bin.

***Edi***
Prep and Pantry seems to be a decent app that says it supports barcode scanning.
This is what I registered to mention.

It seems like the uberfridge functionality could be reasonably approximated by a barcode-scanning app with a table of expiration dates, perhaps with alerts for expired items. Add in voice search so you can check to see if your yogurt is expired (or if you even have any) since you got to the store without making a list.
I picture a little stand for the phone and you just swipe your groceries past as you load the fridge\pantry.
Some day in the not-too-distant future, you might just be able to let the shopping cart pass that information along to your phone as you checkout. Heck, that'll probably be HOW you check out.

severach

Postby severach » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:15 am UTC

Just a guess ellber, but you're not too good at thermostats either. Cooler is all the way to the left and warmer is all the way to to the right.

Amirite?

CZeke

Postby CZeke » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:15 am UTC

I'm stunned that the Epitaph of Stevinus isn't an actual epitaph that starts out "There once was a man named Stevinus..."
FiveMinute.net: Because stuff is long and life is short

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:35 am UTC

well, after two trips to the emergency room due to food poisoning, i don't think i am going to quibble over the particulars of this appliance.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:36 am UTC

CZeke wrote:I'm stunned that the Epitaph of Stevinus isn't an actual epitaph that starts out "There once was a man named Stevinus..."

Who thought that he was a gen-i-us

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:58 am UTC

noema wrote:

I could have sworn that "lactose intolerance" was something altogether different.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:30 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:
noema wrote:

I could have sworn that "lactose intolerance" was something altogether different.

Damn milk, coming over here, taking our jobs...
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:21 am UTC

San Fran Sam wrote:
CZeke wrote:I'm stunned that the Epitaph of Stevinus isn't an actual epitaph that starts out "There once was a man named Stevinus..."

Who thought that he was a gen-i-us

Using some rope
He hung weights on a slope
(Or it could be that Randall's deceivin' us)
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:28 am UTC

PhDFluff wrote:I saw the idea with rfids in this thread and I thought that all food products could have rfids instead of barcodes.

Then when you put your foods in your fridge it auto-magically knows what's in it and when it expires considering the temperature it is stored in (according to the latest database it downloads from the internets). This would also mean that you easily can check with your smartphone app if you're out of milk when you're at the store. On the fridge door the monitor shows you the current stock, when they expire and suggested recipes that can be cooked with the ingredients available.

I guess the cost for one rfid chip needs to be lowered by quite a lot before this is viable though :/

You could achieve the same or similar effect using 2-D (QR) barcodes, I think. You'd need to run the barcode over a scanner, instead of just 'near' the RFID sensor (what's the effective range of RFID, anyway?), but the same information could be read out.

Of course, you'd then have to get all food retailers to agree on a standard encoding system :|
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:40 am UTC

Disposable_Identity wrote:I'm not one to complain (apparently, I am)
But wouldn't a better system be

3 months to 1 month ->

<- 1 month to 1 week

1 week to past due ->
| dev/null |

Perhaps have a railing system to kind of cushion the fall on the end. This way your glass jars don't have to go down as far once they go from 3 months to bad.

This would have the further benefit that food with a short fridge-life, including all the stuff I'm most paranoid about (especially fish/seafood), would be in the coldest part of the fridge.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:24 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:I always felt that the replicators were very good at following implied constraints. When Picard asks for "tea, Earl Grey, hot", how does it know he also prefers "brewed in water, presented in a cup, less than fifty litres"?

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMS2VnDveP8

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:38 am UTC

Kit. wrote:Is it only me who thinks that someone needs to review his spending habits?

Nope, that was exactly my reaction as well.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:02 pm UTC

ellbur wrote:Look in fridge, hmm, when did I buy that milk? Well, pasta's boiling gotta check later. oh right, the milk. Well, I'll check later. Lying in bed at night, oh... man... forgot to check the milk... I guess tomorrow. Also I'm not sure about those collard greens. Ok. How about this: Tuesday when I don't have anything else to do i'll check out everything in the fridge. Oh, but the bathroom's a mess. Hmm... do you thnk the milk could still be good? I'm not sure if i want to know. If its bad I'll just feel guilty for wasting milk. I wish it would just go away. Please, oh god, I'll never buy milk again, just make it go away.

Make the milk go away.

And then you realize, sometime between 3 and 4 in the morning, that the milk is *never going away until you go in there and get it yourself.* And I hurts... but you're so tired... maybe if I just buy a new fridge, I won't have to look. I sort of close my eyes when I open the fridge now. It has been weeks.

And this is why, it doesn't matter how accurate it is. All you want is something to take it out of your hands. A benevolent overseer it reach in and make it all go away. To bring peace, and tell you it'll all be ok.

This is what it's like for us.

Don't cook. Just eat out.
Or hire a cook.

It may cost a little more, but from your description it probably wouldn't cost a lot more. And these problems would go away. You could trust a professional to do well what you do badly. If the professional does it badly, fire them and hire another.
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

Thorbard9

Postby Thorbard9 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:22 pm UTC

ellbur wrote:Look in fridge, hmm, when did I buy that milk? Well, pasta's boiling gotta check later. oh right, the milk. Well, I'll check later. Lying in bed at night, oh... man... forgot to check the milk... I guess tomorrow. Also I'm not sure about those collard greens. Ok. How about this: Tuesday when I don't have anything else to do i'll check out everything in the fridge. Oh, but the bathroom's a mess. Hmm... do you thnk the milk could still be good? I'm not sure if i want to know. If its bad I'll just feel guilty for wasting milk. I wish it would just go away. Please, oh god, I'll never buy milk again, just make it go away.

How rarely do you end up buying milk that this becomes a problem.

When I'm working I have cereal and milk for breakfast, usually with white coffee, I use about 1 litre of milk in a week, I buy two pints (one of the few things in the UK still sold in imperial grr) during my (approximately) weekly shopping.

If its not a work week, I'll make a guess and buy more or less depending on if I expect to be drinking more or less coffee or cooking with milk.

I really can't see how little milk you'd have to be drinking for it to be worth buying it, yet you not know how long ago it was.

My suggestion, but it in a smaller container.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:38 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:

This is my ideal fridge:

because replicators are programmed to, in the absence of other instructions, serve one portion of whatever is asked for in a standard way, because anything else would be stupid. if every time anyone wanted something, and they had to specify all parameters, it would take forever for anyone to get served. If he wanted 50litres of Earl Grey tea brewed in vodka, he'd have to specify that fact. The only parameters he cares about are the fact it is Earl Grey and hot, anything else he is happy with it being "standard" that being one cup, brewed in water, and I guess black.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:44 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:The only parameters he cares about are the fact it is Earl Grey and hot, anything else he is happy with it being "standard" that being one cup, brewed in water, and I guess black.

In any civilised society, "hot" would be the default for tea so would not need to be specified.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:49 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:The only parameters he cares about are the fact it is Earl Grey and hot, anything else he is happy with it being "standard" that being one cup, brewed in water, and I guess black.

In any civilised society, "hot" would be the default for tea so would not need to be specified.

What about iced tea, or the fact that most people would probably want tea that wasn't scalding hot? Most people I know that drink black tea add a splash of cold water, in the same way that white tea drinkers add milk. I assume Picard prefers it without that splash of cooling water, preferring to let it cool on its own. Maybe.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:50 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

So, presumably, he's just listing the differences from his own pre-set standard. Maybe he usually has his tea cooler than most. Or, maybe he has a pre-set value for "hot" which he uses to specify a hotter tea than you'd normally expect.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:25 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:In any civilised society, "hot" would be the default for tea so would not need to be specified.

Ignoring the fact that you have a peculiar conditional for determining whether or not a society is civilized, regionalisms do exist where an unqualified "tea" refers to the iced version, not the hot version. This is more typical in the warmer climes, of course.
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:47 pm UTC

You also have to account for the inevitble changes in human custom as we explore the stars and encounter new resources and life (sentient and non-sentient). Maybe he wasn't saying "hot", but "Hawtte", which could be a plant found only on a small moon 63 million lightyears from earth, and when mixed with oil of bergamot then brewed causes sexual hallucinations. Maybe he was just getting his fap on, without the inconvenience of going to the Holo-deck.

Pingouin7

Postby Pingouin7 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:53 pm UTC

TickleMyElmo wrote:I feel the need to point out a flaw in Randall's design: the door dispenser won't work. It looks correct when the door is open, but when it is closed, the items will get wedged between the slide and the side of the fridge. The slide should direct the items away in a line perpendicular to the door.

I can see a small gap between the slide and the side of the door.
Best case scenario, bigger food items would get stuck due to the gap being too small.
Worse case scenario, items fall, lightly rebounding onto the side of the fridge and ending up in the bottom shelf.
Dason wrote:
Kewangji wrote:I confess I am actually scared of peanuts, and tend to avoid them, given how lethal they are to some people.

I'm not. I do my part in the fight against peanuts by destroying them with my powerful teeth. Take that peanut! How does being digested feel!?

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:27 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:In any civilised society, "hot" would be the default for tea so would not need to be specified.

Come on, he asked for Earl Grey.

Not for green Yunnan or autumnal Darjeeling.

He could as well ask for Lipton Diet Lemon.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:32 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:

The real question: is this "hot" tea "HOT HOT HOT!!!" or "cold"? "HOT HOT HOT!!!!" or "cold"?
I looked out across the river today …

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:40 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:
Kit. wrote:

The real question: is this "hot" tea "HOT HOT HOT!!!" or "cold"? "HOT HOT HOT!!!!" or "cold"?

Thats a tricky question. Really really.

(by the way, do you know that "flicka" means "girl" in Swedish?)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”