Guild Wars 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Kain » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:00 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Well wait, according to the GW2 wiki, it says that Bleeding and Confusion stacks in intensity; does that mean if a target has 5 stacks of 5s Bleed, and I apply a stack of Bleeding, that it starts a new stack (perhaps based on the duration of my Bleed?) instead of adding my stack to the extant stack? Like, if a target gets hit by 5Bleed 5s, 3Bleed 10s and 2Bleed 3.5s, the target will have 3 separate stacks of bleeding, each ticking for different damage and persisting for different lengths of time?

'
Since I am not entirely sure what you mean with 5Bleed 5s (do you mean 5 stacks of bleed at 5 seconds, or 5 damage per tick bleed for 5 seconds? I assume the first, but am not sure), let me give you an example of how I understand bleeds to work (I am a level 80 bleed ranger at the moment, btw).

Let us say that I apply 5 stacks of bleed for 5 seconds using coral shot. Meanwhile, an ongoing feeding frenzy is adding a stack of 4 second bleed every second, for four seconds. Another player is using splinter shot to add single stacks of 8 second bleed each second.
All of the stacks of bleed will appear in one single stack on the target, such that at the first second you will see 7 stacks of bleed, then 9, then 11, then 13, then the first stack of feeding frenzy expires leaving us with 12, then the 5 from my coral shot expire leaving 7 stacks, and then I lost track of when the splinter shot stacks should be expiring but you get the idea. Each of the individual stacks of bleed will do damage per tick based on the caster's condition damage and level.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:05 pm UTC

Okay, so they're just cached differently. Like, each stack has it's own timer, so the number of bleeds will increase the damage per second, but not reset the clock on the whole stack. That makes sense.

Thanks!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Obby » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:21 pm UTC

So I just got to level 75. Hoping to hit 80 this weekend. The Orr quests are hellaciously fun, but I somehow didn't get any credit for killing the Priest of Balthazar during the event for it even though I did like 1/5th the total damage...
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Chen
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Chen » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:50 am UTC

Obby wrote:So I just got to level 75. Hoping to hit 80 this weekend. The Orr quests are hellaciously fun, but I somehow didn't get any credit for killing the Priest of Balthazar during the event for it even though I did like 1/5th the total damage...


They did say they're looking into how the participation calculation is done. Hopefully they'll look into how tagging mobs is done too since in the DE's in Orr there are SOO many people its basically whoever can uses their instant AOEs get the tags but then the mobs are dead before anyone else can do anything.

I hit 76 this weekend though a big chunk of that was leveling my LW from 225 to 400. I didn't realize just how much XP that gives. Now I just need to finish leveling to 80 and make some money so that I can craft my level 80 exotic armor. Then I guess its either farm more money and/or karma to get a good skin for that armor.

eeris
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby eeris » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:59 pm UTC

I shamelessly used cooking to go from like, 69-80. You used to be able to effectively buy your way to 400 cooking for a gold or so and a few thousand karma. They nerfed it fairly recently so a lot of the ingredients such as butter are drops rather than vendor items now though. Now I get to leisurely work my way through the areas that I skipped without having to worry about whether I'm a level or 2 lower than I should be.

User avatar
Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist
Posts: 3446
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:06 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:31 pm UTC

I was surprised how viable it is to run around even 5-7 levels too low for an area with my mesmer... in fact if you can tag along with an event and stay alive you get some very good gear dropping. It is definitely the opposite of leisurely, though - at 7 levels below, most of your hits glance, your crits do just above what you'd expect from a normal hit and you go down after about 2-3 hits.

Also epidemic (necromancer) is the most entertaining ability I've found. It spreads all conditions on a target to everything in the area every 15 seconds.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Intrigued
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:47 pm UTC

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Intrigued » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:54 pm UTC

Yeah, I love doing higher level stuff. Me and a buddy doing the thief/guardian combo are just destroying stuff many levels above us. It is frustrating when I think I should be able to take something even higher, but then they put in the "glancing" mechanic to artificially raise the difficulty. Something I've found pretty lucrative exp-wise is when you're travelling through a new area, if you see a group of non-hostile mobs clustered together, and you have a good way of taking down 5+ mobs at a time, do it! You usually get a huge xp bonus on them for no one having killed them lately, since people just cruise by non-hostiles.

Chen
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Chen » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:32 pm UTC

Yeah non-hostile mobs in untravelled areas have HUGE bonus xp usually. I love killing those. I found an area with a ton of Dolyaks that no one was near. Popped one of those kill streak exp boosters and was getting 200xp+300bonus from them. Was great for quick XP.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Lucrece » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:28 am UTC

Too bad I'm such a pansy and won't do it, since I find the guilt of killing innocent moas and dolyaks and nonhostile mobs in general too heavy to bear. Pretty much every MMO I have been in, I've refused to kill critters; I winced every time I saw a developer showcasing his game and kiling chickens and rabbits and deer.

For my norn I had to skip several quests that involved hunting, in the case of the moot you begin at, I chose to kill the more menacing looking beasts.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:45 am UTC

AC run number two that resulted in someone dropping near the end. Woo.

Mesmer has switched from sword/sword to sceptor/sword; I find having two block options to be really effective, and the scepter does less damage than the sword, but hits at range AND generates clones very rapidly. It's at least effective for PvE.

As an aside, I know general or map chat in most MMOs is pretty abysmal, but man... MAN... GW2 players can be idiots. That's something I miss about TSW.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Lucrece » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:44 am UTC

People in non-WoW MMO's will pretty much deign themselves special snowflakes gifted with supreme knowledge and wisdom. It wears off with time, hopefully.

I just think MMO's have become worse as they become more mainstream and retarded teeny-boppers and xbox live rabble have swarmed the genre. Elitism will always exist, but older mmo's and my times in ffxi never saw encounters with people redefining the meaning of petty.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
3fj
Posts: 1715
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:13 pm UTC
Location: Land of Whisky and Bagpipes (LOWAB)
Contact:

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby 3fj » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:54 am UTC

I'm still just cruising along at a level or two a day. I was focusing on the main storyline while I was keeping up in levels (not fast warping, making sure to kill at least some of the things in the way, gathering all the mats nearby, that sort of thing) but I think it's finally outpaced me for a short while; which is good because there's still a lot of the first human zone I encountered to explore.

Lucrece wrote:I just think MMO's have become worse as they become more mainstream and retarded teeny-boppers and xbox live rabble have swarmed the genre. Elitism will always exist

I don't think I've seen anyone become a hypocrite in a shorter time-span. Congrats!
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Chen
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Chen » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:51 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:Too bad I'm such a pansy and won't do it, since I find the guilt of killing innocent moas and dolyaks and nonhostile mobs in general too heavy to bear. Pretty much every MMO I have been in, I've refused to kill critters; I winced every time I saw a developer showcasing his game and kiling chickens and rabbits and deer.

For my norn I had to skip several quests that involved hunting, in the case of the moot you begin at, I chose to kill the more menacing looking beasts.


Well the non-critters do fight back so its not a complete butchering. Its funny though that critters do seem to count towards daily kills and daily kill variety though. So killing a ton of spiders and rats will get you those achievements.

As for Map chat, Lion's Arch one is a cesspool. And I haven't gotten to Orr yet where I assume the vast majority of the 80s hang out so I don't know if its terrible. But the other maps seem fine, if not downright helpful to people.

Drumheller769
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 7:46 pm UTC
Location: ♞♞♞

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Drumheller769 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:23 pm UTC

Is Lions Arch still the main trading point? I believe it was in GW 1. I just remember trying to sell stuff there in trade chat, WTS ITEM, and having to spam it to even have it be readable for 2 seconds.
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.

Chen
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Chen » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:20 pm UTC

Lion's Arch is still the main hub since it has portals to the WvW area and to all the starter cities. Personally I prefer to do crafting/buying/selling elsewhere because its crowded as hell and the crafting area isn't super close to the trading post. But most people do tend to congregate there.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:23 pm UTC

Wait, the trade post doesn't aggregate all in game orders?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Chen
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Chen » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:21 pm UTC

They do. I just mean its easier to do crafting/trading in the Grove since the crafting area and the trading post are closer to each other. Sure you can trade anywhere but you still need to go to the vendor to pick stuff up.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Lucrece » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:08 pm UTC

3fj wrote:I'm still just cruising along at a level or two a day. I was focusing on the main storyline while I was keeping up in levels (not fast warping, making sure to kill at least some of the things in the way, gathering all the mats nearby, that sort of thing) but I think it's finally outpaced me for a short while; which is good because there's still a lot of the first human zone I encountered to explore.

Lucrece wrote:I just think MMO's have become worse as they become more mainstream and retarded teeny-boppers and xbox live rabble have swarmed the genre. Elitism will always exist

I don't think I've seen anyone become a hypocrite in a shorter time-span. Congrats!


And when did I describe elitism negatively? There are legitimate instances for wanting to segregate players across skill and experience lines...that was the whole point of "elitism will always exist". I wouldn't want to deny you your gotcha moment, though -- bask in it if it pleases you ;)


Chen wrote:
Lucrece wrote:Too bad I'm such a pansy and won't do it, since I find the guilt of killing innocent moas and dolyaks and nonhostile mobs in general too heavy to bear. Pretty much every MMO I have been in, I've refused to kill critters; I winced every time I saw a developer showcasing his game and kiling chickens and rabbits and deer.

For my norn I had to skip several quests that involved hunting, in the case of the moot you begin at, I chose to kill the more menacing looking beasts.


Well the non-critters do fight back so its not a complete butchering. Its funny though that critters do seem to count towards daily kills and daily kill variety though. So killing a ton of spiders and rats will get you those achievements.

As for Map chat, Lion's Arch one is a cesspool. And I haven't gotten to Orr yet where I assume the vast majority of the 80s hang out so I don't know if its terrible. But the other maps seem fine, if not downright helpful to people.





Spiders and hideous insects all have to die! (that's my preferred expression of hypocrisy).

If you think LA became bad, though, just look at the official forums. Man, the children have come out of the woodwork in there -- I pity the mods that have to parse through those threads to grabs useful feedback in the midst of smug fanboys and and doomsaying complaints.

A few bugged quests and people take to threads to scream "UNACCEPTABLE! I WANT A REFUND YOU DECEITFUL SCAMMERS!"
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Obby » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:08 am UTC

So I hit 80 over the weekend, and I finally decided to dabble in sPvP. It's actually surprisingly fun, which I did not expect. I played two matches, and won both. I typically don't enjoy the structure of the battleground style PvP, but this was enjoyable.

I'm not sure how well thought out their character loading thing was, though. In WvW, there tend to be large groups of players, but the client only renders X number of players at a time. So typically what will happen is I'm running with the zerg trying to take a keep or whatever, and then out of nowhere we'll start dying. Then as my corpse is sitting there wondering what happened, 40 enemy players appear out of nowhere because the game just decided to load them at that time... Kind of annoying not even being able to see who is attacking me because the models haven't loaded yet. I'm also not really a fan of getting matched with servers that have guilds that don't sleep... It's not very fun zoning in to WvW only to see that you have no way out of your keep because you are almost literally surrounded on all sides by enemies, due to the enemies taking everything else in the zone overnight. But dems the breaks, I guess. I suppose I just chose a bad server to be on for WvW.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Chen
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Chen » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:48 am UTC

Lucrece wrote:If you think LA became bad, though, just look at the official forums. Man, the children have come out of the woodwork in there -- I pity the mods that have to parse through those threads to grabs useful feedback in the midst of smug fanboys and and doomsaying complaints.

A few bugged quests and people take to threads to scream "UNACCEPTABLE! I WANT A REFUND YOU DECEITFUL SCAMMERS!"


I don't know if this is a new thing with games or what, but after having played Mass Effect 3 and Diablo 3 and reading their official forums, the GW2 ones are downright pleasant. I mean I used to play WoW quite a bit, but people on the forums never seemed even close to as entitled the ones on these newer games' forums are.

The whole refund thing baffles me too. "I played the game for 10 hours and its terrible I want my money back". This was not a thing in the past. Maybe I'm out of touch, but if I go see a movie, or a play or read a book I don't like isn't it too late to get your money back? I don't see why some gamers suddenly brought up this concept.

User avatar
3fj
Posts: 1715
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:13 pm UTC
Location: Land of Whisky and Bagpipes (LOWAB)
Contact:

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby 3fj » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:14 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:And when did I describe elitism negatively? There are legitimate instances for wanting to segregate players across skill and experience lines...that was the whole point of "elitism will always exist". I wouldn't want to deny you your gotcha moment, though -- bask in it if it pleases you ;)

Elitism is negative. Segregating people on skill level has it's place (i.e, a lvl 60 is going to shit all over a level 5 if they're playing against each other; which is what I think you're getting at) but elitism is what happens after you segregate along those lines, and then give the community a chance to interact. That's when there's all this venom directed at someone who they deem not as good/worthy as they are.

So, you know, I think I will.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:13 pm UTC

Chen wrote:I don't see why some gamers suddenly brought up this concept.

Reading gamers complaints lately has completely baffled me. You got 300 hours of play time out of a game and think you didn't get your moneys worth?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Chen
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Chen » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:24 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Reading gamers complaints lately has completely baffled me. You got 300 hours of play time out of a game and think you didn't get your moneys worth?


Exactly. I'm not sure when it changed from "Well that was an awful game" to "Damn that was an awful game, give me my money back".

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Lucrece » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:09 pm UTC

Especially the notion that games in their current scope and technology ought to be practically bug free. To complain about bugs on the release of a MMO is just a colossal display of ignorance.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:35 pm UTC

Especially when the standard by which you're comparing it to also had a ton of bugs, and also had years of development before it hit it's present incarnation.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

ebrowne72
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:31 am UTC

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby ebrowne72 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:34 pm UTC

Guild Wars 2 announced that they've created a blacklist of passwords that hackers have been trying to use to break into accounts, and they're going to require everyone with a GW2 account to change their password. Their advice for how to create a new unique, secure password? They linked to the xkcd "Password Strength" comic. They also said they'll be adding a password generator to generate that style of password.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:12 pm UTC

Couldn't find this on the wiki, but does any crafting profession net boons specifically for the crafter? Like Inscription in WoW let you inscribe on your shoulders, and ONLY someone with Inscription could benefit from it. Does that exist in GW2?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Chen
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Chen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:00 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Couldn't find this on the wiki, but does any crafting profession net boons specifically for the crafter? Like Inscription in WoW let you inscribe on your shoulders, and ONLY someone with Inscription could benefit from it. Does that exist in GW2?


Not that I've found so far. They all just let you craft non-soulbound things. Some of the crafting stuff is account bound though (like the Gifts for Legendaries)

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 836
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:03 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Couldn't find this on the wiki, but does any crafting profession net boons specifically for the crafter? Like Inscription in WoW let you inscribe on your shoulders, and ONLY someone with Inscription could benefit from it. Does that exist in GW2?

I believe all the "Gift[s] of [Thing]" required for crafting Legendaries are bound to account, and some of them require crafting skills at 400; so, a roundabout yes. Though, I believe it's just to account and not character, so you can get the requisite item from an alt.

That said, crafting a Legendary is...extremely non-trivial, and only worth it for bragging rights/the shiny skin (Legendaries are somewhere between "very little" and "not at all" better than Exotics, iirc, and where an Exotic would run you something like 3-5 gold, a Legendary is ~115 gold for just the subset of the materials that can be outright bought, plus over a million karma, hundreds of dungeon tokens, enough Mystic Coins to require continuous completion of daily/monthly achievements for about two months...)
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:26 pm UTC

Ok, so ultimately there's no reason to overlap then; having two characters on an account train, say, weaponsmithing, is a bad idea and a waste of access?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Chen
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Chen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:52 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Ok, so ultimately there's no reason to overlap then; having two characters on an account train, say, weaponsmithing, is a bad idea and a waste of access?


Yeah it seems like that to me. In fact once you hit 80 it seems kinda pointless to raise that character's crafting since if you raise it on another char they'll gain levels from it. I guess unless you really need skill points on the level 80 char.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:09 pm UTC

Presumably there are profitable recipes later on? I've noticed for the time being (pre-40 anyway), upgrading my gear is only marginally more expensive than what I earn selling my old gear to merchants. So, hopefully some crafting only recipes can turn a profit?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 836
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:34 pm UTC

Hypothetically, yes - but pretty much any profitable recipe will have been run into the ground by overuse. (Looking at you, bags - when people sell a bag which has a 2g rune as a component for 2g25s, when the trading post takes a 15% cut, it makes me sad. Especially when this was happening early enough that it clearly wasn't just people outgrowing their old bags.) Might still be able to turn some money here or there by crafting Exotics at 400.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:57 am UTC

Yeah, its definitely a buyers market. Sigh. I haven't been crafting a lot, but I guess I should just treat it as extra xp for the time being.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Kag
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Kag » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:17 am UTC

Chen wrote:[In fact once you hit 80 it seems kinda pointless to raise that character's crafting since if you raise it on another char they'll gain levels from it.


If the two you first get aren't the ones you need for your legendary.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Chen
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Chen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:46 am UTC

Kag wrote:If the two you first get aren't the ones you need for your legendary.


The crafting Gifts are account bound not soulbound so leveling the skill on an alt is still preferable I'd think.

As to crafting profit, this game has the same problem as Diablo 3 with gems. People see the material cost as "free" since they farmed it themselves. Therefore they look at the fixed cost and put items up for cheaper than the mat cost. The fact the second 10% cut from the trading post isn't documented makes it even worse because people don't take it into account. I see people putting up exotics (level 400) gear for 3g or so when the cost is 2g to make them, but I don't know if these actually sell. Considering the trading post is used by ALL servers, someone is going to come in and undercut you pretty quickly. If the volume of sale is low it makes trying to trade expensive items risky due to the 5% posting fee. Combined with the fact people will undercut all the way to the point they're LOSING money (as my first point mentions), I don't find it worthwhile to try and craft for profit. I'm sure there are some recipes out there (probably mid level stuff) that sell decently but I can't be bothered to try and look for them.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Lucrece » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:01 pm UTC

I'm going into Weaponsmith and Tailor for my exotic light set and legendary swords for my mesmer.

What people don't realize is that mat prices will plummet pretty quickly as more people reach 80 and start crafting themselves. At the beginning of cata's xpac in WoW, the epic crystals whose name I can't recall that were raid drops would sell for as high as 7k gold a piece. By the first month they were 70-100g. Leveling engineering by release cost me nearly 20k gold. That same month later on an alt it went down to 6k.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Chen
Posts: 5576
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Chen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:42 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:I'm going into Weaponsmith and Tailor for my exotic light set and legendary swords for my mesmer.

What people don't realize is that mat prices will plummet pretty quickly as more people reach 80 and start crafting themselves. At the beginning of cata's xpac in WoW, the epic crystals whose name I can't recall that were raid drops would sell for as high as 7k gold a piece. By the first month they were 70-100g. Leveling engineering by release cost me nearly 20k gold. That same month later on an alt it went down to 6k.


It depends on how many people stick around to keep playing at 80 though. After crafting my exotic set and buying the Order of Whispers chest piece, my thief is pretty much done. I could grind for a Legendary weapon but using Pistol/Dagger, both are not terribly visible to begin with. Maybe if the pistol shoots something cool, but even then the grind seems absurd for it (roughly 1 million karma I believe). Considering once you're in level 80 exotics you're the strongest your character can be, it removes some of the motivation I have in MMOs of constantly making my character better. This is the intent of guild wars (1 was like this too) so I don't expect people to hang around it as much once they've finished the storyline. From what I've seen, the storylines are the same at the end and only minorly different in the middle (depending on which order you choose) and start (depending on your race), so you don't even need to get an alt that high in level to see everything.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:49 pm UTC

I got my Mesmer to 40 lastnight. I'm still having a blast with the class, but think the core mechanic needs a bit of work. Summoning Phantasms represents a sizable portion of the total damage output/utility of the class, but they only attack every 5-10s. This is fine, except Shattering destroys ALL your Illusions. Each of the four Shattering abilities is on a 45s CD (I think?) and most Phantasms can be made between 16-36s.

It'd be nice if you could elect to shatter only Clones, and if the 3 Illusion max only applied to Phantasms. As it is, Clones die pretty frequently, and even my Phantasms can at best survive 2 hits.

I'm also dabbling with a Guardian, and while the support heavy aspect is fun, I find combat to be a little less involved.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Lucrece » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:41 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Lucrece wrote:I'm going into Weaponsmith and Tailor for my exotic light set and legendary swords for my mesmer.

What people don't realize is that mat prices will plummet pretty quickly as more people reach 80 and start crafting themselves. At the beginning of cata's xpac in WoW, the epic crystals whose name I can't recall that were raid drops would sell for as high as 7k gold a piece. By the first month they were 70-100g. Leveling engineering by release cost me nearly 20k gold. That same month later on an alt it went down to 6k.


It depends on how many people stick around to keep playing at 80 though. After crafting my exotic set and buying the Order of Whispers chest piece, my thief is pretty much done. I could grind for a Legendary weapon but using Pistol/Dagger, both are not terribly visible to begin with. Maybe if the pistol shoots something cool, but even then the grind seems absurd for it (roughly 1 million karma I believe). Considering once you're in level 80 exotics you're the strongest your character can be, it removes some of the motivation I have in MMOs of constantly making my character better. This is the intent of guild wars (1 was like this too) so I don't expect people to hang around it as much once they've finished the storyline. From what I've seen, the storylines are the same at the end and only minorly different in the middle (depending on which order you choose) and start (depending on your race), so you don't even need to get an alt that high in level to see everything.


Guild Wars 2 just assumes that players won't limit themselves in content type. The people finished with PVP might do explorables, then craft, then dabble in world pvp, then in spvp, and maybe upgrade to tournament pvp. They then have the opportunity to try racial storylines and leveling up different professions for different playstyles. Most people are used to "endgame", but this game has a lot of variety and replayability value besides waiting for the next category addition for your main to consume. I know many people will be resistant in stating a total disinterest for the other aspects of the game, but part of the fun for other people is experimenting with the different game types particularly because there are power plateus, and so the barrier to entry for doing different activities is virtually nonexistent.

You can dabble with and alt or switch professions and play different content without fear hat in that one month of breaking your routine, you'll be left behind and have to do some crazy grind to catch up and hope you have some serious networkingto get into a competitive guild because that heroic Dragon Soul guild you wanted to join when you left the game in heroic Firelands will be gearingup way faster than you can accumulate gear to apply in a PUG.

People don't become irrelevant for not practicing timesinks in GW2.

Izawwlgood wrote:I got my Mesmer to 40 lastnight. I'm still having a blast with the class, but think the core mechanic needs a bit of work. Summoning Phantasms represents a sizable portion of the total damage output/utility of the class, but they only attack every 5-10s. This is fine, except Shattering destroys ALL your Illusions. Each of the four Shattering abilities is on a 45s CD (I think?) and most Phantasms can be made between 16-36s.

It'd be nice if you could elect to shatter only Clones, and if the 3 Illusion max only applied to Phantasms. As it is, Clones die pretty frequently, and even my Phantasms can at best survive 2 hits.

I'm also dabbling with a Guardian, and while the support heavy aspect is fun, I find combat to be a little less involved.


Shatters have their host of problems as a mechanic that hopefully will be addressed alongside mesmer traits, as lead systems designer Jon Peters hinted shortly before release.

With that said, there are more builds than just phantasm builds. Shatter builds are also highly effective when you take the on clone death traits to stack conditions. Properly built, you can quickly solo stack 12 stacks of vulnerability or confusion depending on your build with hefty Mindwrack crits.

Look to a build with crippling dissipation trait from the domination traitline, and it's a beastly build for survivability, as the effects of on clone death arre applied aoe and you can kite groups of mobs easily with it, not to mention helping with dungeons. If you can coordinate with teammates, the mesmer's Warden Feedback trait on the inspiration line gives you reflection on your focus ability. Pair that with Mirrored Feedback, Veil of Invisibility, and Mass Invisibility, and you can become a defensive support powerhouse in dungeons.

Suddenly your group is not doing too well, and by announcing your group stealth you can buy them five or more seconds of sanctuary time to wait out their heals or reposition without fear of being killed. Drop your reflection skills in between the downtime of said invisibility, and the damage your group takes is largely decreased, while the Crippling Dissipation and the trait in the Chaos line that applies either vulnerability, poison, or weakness keeps targets hampered. Play with a scepter, and every third attack will kill a clone if you have three illusions out already, meaning about every four seconds you are aoe debuffing groups of enemies.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests