1115: "Sky"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cew-smoke

Re: 1115: "Sky"

Postby cew-smoke » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:53 pm UTC

Do you have ANY idea how much better I feel right now?! I had no idea that other people had this issue. Reading all these replies means a lot to me. The funny thing is that I love astronomy. I love gazing up at the stars, but there's always this big piece inside of me that is panicking at the thought of "falling" up. Plus my imagination is too good and I think about the horrible possibilities of it all. God I love the internet. It makes odd people feel... less odd. That's a good thing.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

I spent most of my day at work determining what sort of binoculars to buy for stargazing. Then at one point it occurred to me it was because of this strip and thread. I hat you.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

gson

Postby gson » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:16 pm UTC

For some reason, this comic reminded me of the Fishing Under Ice video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIs00QjiJZQ

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:19 pm UTC

Just about any comic about how scary it is "outside" makes me think of this Penny Arcade comic.

Corscaria

Postby Corscaria » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:26 pm UTC

Was todays comic in anyway inspire by the 'Sakasama no Patema' (to be known as 'Patema Inverted' in English) promotional webisodes? That has been the only cartoon to ever give me vertigo, and today's XKCD strongly reminded me of it.

TimXCampbell

Postby TimXCampbell » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:49 pm UTC

Oflick wrote:Today's comic was pretty average. Didn't do much for me at all. I don't mind the idea, though.

I think this was one of the better comics in the entire series. It's like a three-panel Zen koan that highlights how we live with a specific set of assumptions, and those assumptions can turn around and bite us in the butt.

Maybe it's just me who reads it that way.

TallEnglishman

Postby TallEnglishman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:38 pm UTC

Reminds me very much of the Known Universe video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U

If ever you need to be reminded the human race has little to no significance in the Universe this is the one to watch!

At the 5:00 mark I always have to grab my chair out of fear of falling out of space...

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:40 pm UTC

I liked this comic, because it reminded me by a comic by one of my favorite artists, Vaughn Bodé. In one of his Deadbone comics, a lizard is clinging to a rock much like the girl in the last panel here. Another guy walks up, asks what he is doing. Then he convinces the first lizard that his fears are unfounded...of course, upon letting go of the rock - he promptly falls UP.

Oh, what I really wanted to say was that the title text gives a new meaning to "bird droppings".

/LHP
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

cellocgw

The buildings could survive

Postby cellocgw » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:44 pm UTC

All you folks who say the earth and the buildings will explode apart if gravity reverses: remember there's a whole lot of molecular and hydrogen bonding going on in there. Since I'm not writing Randall's What-If column for him, I'll just stipulate that, simultaneously with gravity reversing, the bonding strengths increase enough to keep the earth, buildings, our bodies, and thank goodness our smart phones together. We just have to live upside down in tunnels, and do our farming on the surface via a variety of restraining harnesses.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:07 pm UTC

Which way is down?

http://xkcd.com/417/

Vroomfundel

Postby Vroomfundel » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:49 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:It would be cool. I think there's a piece of art by Frederic Perrin which gives a pretty cool description http://fredericperrin.com/production.html (Galleries -> Animated Movies -> and you'll have to sift through the art till you find it).

Yeah, there were a few interesting visualizations. Prompted me to write this:
http://deathasingularityornothing.blogspot.com/

I'm thinking on the technologies involved - how can such a thing work. Can we cancel gravity out with something? Or suspended from a space station or a natural satellite, slowed down to geostationary orbit with nukes? Lots of options, not many of them plausible but interesting to entertain anyway.
If we don't have gravity - why do we have pouring water (that's inevitably featured on all such pictures) or tree roots dangling from beneath?
lexicum.net - my vocabulary learning platform

MonkeyBoy

Postby MonkeyBoy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:54 pm UTC

Oddly enough, a week ago I submitted the following "What if" question:

The movie "Real Genius" asked: "Would you be prepared if gravity reversed itself?" What would happen if it did?

Now I can't help wondering if my query inspired this comic.
Last edited by MonkeyBoy on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

MrT2

Re: The buildings could survive

Postby MrT2 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:51 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:All you folks who say the earth and the buildings will explode apart if gravity reverses: remember there's a whole lot of molecular and hydrogen bonding going on in there. Since I'm not writing Randall's What-If column for him, I'll just stipulate that, simultaneously with gravity reversing, the bonding strengths increase enough to keep the earth, buildings, our bodies, and thank goodness our smart phones together. We just have to live upside down in tunnels, and do our farming on the surface via a variety of restraining harnesses.

Buildings wouldn't explode, they'd just fall off, they're not bolted into the bedrock, just built down a few metres (or tens of metres for larger buildings) into the topsoil. So far as the earth exploding, well, it is under rather a lot of pressure down there, so with no gravity to counter that, at the very least it'd expand quite noticeably, the crust isn't particularly elastic, so it'd crack open in a bunch of places (a bit like 2012, but probably on an even bigger scale).

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:22 pm UTC

lassehp wrote:I liked this comic, because it reminded me by a comic by one of my favorite artists, Vaughn Bodé. In one of his Deadbone comics, a lizard is clinging to a rock much like the girl in the last panel here. Another guy walks up, asks what he is doing. Then he convinces the first lizard that his fears are unfounded...of course, upon letting go of the rock - he promptly falls UP.

Reminded me of a chapter in Cosmicomics! by Italo Calvino, set at a time when the moon orbited only a few yards above the surface of the earth, and every time it went by people would take ladders out and go up to collect the cheese on its surface to bring back. Calvino's hero "Qfwfq" says that once they got a certain distance up the ladder, their point of view would suddenly shift and the moon would appear to be "down" instead of up, and when climbing back the reverse would happen.

Icalasari

Postby Icalasari » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:12 am UTC

hthall wrote:Beautifully put, Randall. I've thought this many times. In fact:

http://www.thebutteredslice.com/wordpress/archives/31

Erm, that's apparently been reported as an attack site...

niky

Postby niky » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:14 am UTC

If gravity cancels out everywhere, after a few minutes, we'd be too busy worrying about the sun to care about our exploding planet.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:28 am UTC

thevicente wrote:Which way is down?

The enemy's gate, of course.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

FrostBlast

Postby FrostBlast » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:18 am UTC

philsov wrote:
thevicente wrote:Which way is down?

The enemy's gate, of course.

Proud members of Dragon Army.

DinoRawr

Postby DinoRawr » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:17 am UTC

I actually have a reverse fear of heights because of this ._. it's one of my 2 fears, the other being whales.

Gedankenwelt

Postby Gedankenwelt » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:05 am UTC

As being mentioned, reversing / turning off gravity would mean the whole planet fell apart.

But what if we lived in a very small spherical universe the size of Earth's atmosphere, with the following properties:
  • The sphere's borders consist of a (fictional) indistructible, massive material
  • An orb of the same material is "magically fixed" at the center of the sphere*
  • There's a habitable "ball of rock" similar to Earth around that massive core
  • Similarly, the outer sphere's borders are covered with mass on the inside, and look like the surface of a "concave planet", but are not habitable due to very high gravity.
  • The zone where the gravitational influence of core and outer sphere borders cancel each other out is slightly above that "Earth's" surface
  • Air exists, but it's thin above the surface of "Earth"

In order to make this small world habitable, it would probably be necessary to extend the universe beyond the sphere's borders, s.t. warmth and/or light may enter and/or leave the sphere to some degree. However, I'm not an expert, so I guess I better stop here. :D

* alternatively, that orb might be fixed at the center of one or two thin axes which also consist of this indestructible material, and connect opposite borders of the sphere

hthall

Postby hthall » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:34 am UTC

Icalasari wrote:
hthall wrote:Beautifully put, Randall. I've thought this many times. In fact:

http://www.thebutteredslice.com/wordpress/archives/31

Erm, that's apparently been reported as an attack site...

Yikes! Thanks for the heads-up. My brother runs it; I've let him know. It definitely wasn't being reported as such when I posted the link.
Look at me, still talking when there's Science to do.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:06 am UTC

Primis wrote:I was sitting on a small hill last week, just staring up at the clouds, then night fell. Clouds are nice, stars are creepy, there are WAY too many of them. I had a small existential crisis, realizing that the entire universe is so freaking huge nothing I could ever do would even show up as anything more than line noise on it's radar.
And at that point, the curve of the hill overtook me and I realized just how dizzying looking up at the stars can be...
Dammit the sky is big.

Such a sweet post. Yes. The sky is big. Yes. There are a lot of stars.
Each of those small cold lights is a large and often hot object.
Do you remember Kermit the Frog? He asked in a song, "What's so amazing that keeps us star gaseing?

Something. That something touched you and in the charming way some people have you shared it with us.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:57 am UTC

Gedankenwelt wrote:As being mentioned, reversing / turning off gravity would mean the whole planet fell apart.

But what if we lived in a very small spherical universe the size of Earth's atmosphere, with the following properties:
  • The sphere's borders consist of a (fictional) indistructible, massive material
  • An orb of the same material is "magically fixed" at the center of the sphere*
  • There's a habitable "ball of rock" similar to Earth around that massive core
  • Similarly, the outer sphere's borders are covered with mass on the inside, and look like the surface of a "concave planet", but are not habitable due to very high gravity.
  • The zone where the gravitational influence of core and outer sphere borders cancel each other out is slightly above that "Earth's" surface
  • Air exists, but it's thin above the surface of "Earth"

In order to make this small world habitable, it would probably be necessary to extend the universe beyond the sphere's borders, s.t. warmth and/or light may enter and/or leave the sphere to some degree. However, I'm not an expert, so I guess I better stop here. :D

* alternatively, that orb might be fixed at the center of one or two thin axes which also consist of this indestructible material, and connect opposite borders of the sphere

I understand that there is no gravitational field inside a massive hollow shell (which is what I understand by your outer sphere), so I don't think the gravity would cancel out just above the surface. It has to do with the relationship between the surface integral of the field and the volume integral of mass. I have never found this intuitively plausible, though.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:03 am UTC

Vacuum Diagrams has a short story like this where humans survive inside of a hypersphere which is described as a sphere with a sphere wrapped around it, but if you went up from one towards the "shell", at the midpoint the gravity changes direction and the shell looks like a sphere now with the one you left wrapped around it.
mu

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:23 am UTC

Bruce McCandless, Robert L. Stewart, Mark Lee and Carl Meade (untethered spacewalkers) must have felt this worse than most.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Gedankenwelt

Postby Gedankenwelt » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:48 am UTC

orthogon wrote:I understand that there is no gravitational field inside a massive hollow shell (which is what I understand by your outer sphere), so I don't think the gravity would cancel out just above the surface. It has to do with the relationship between the surface integral of the field and the volume integral of mass. I have never found this intuitively plausible, though.

Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks for the info, I'm glad I learned something! :)

I made a search, and found a plausible explanation in a physics forum. A summary (in my own words):

I think it's obvious that gravity is canceled out at the center of the shell. When an object inside the shell moves from the center towards an edge of the shell, one might intuitively think that the closer edge has a stronger pull than the opposite edge, which is farther away. However, when moving towards an edge, at the same time the amount of mass at the side of this edge becomes smaller than the amount of mass at the opposite side. So on one side, there is less mass with a stronger pull per mass, while on the other side there is more mass with a weaker pull per mass. But in the end, the total pull on both sides is exactly the same.

...from my understanding, this still means that objects inside the shell can have a gravitational field that affects other objects there (but not the shell itself). Is this correct?

Gedankenwelt

Postby Gedankenwelt » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:10 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:Vacuum Diagrams has a short story like this where humans survive inside of a hypersphere which is described as a sphere with a sphere wrapped around it, but if you went up from one towards the "shell", at the midpoint the gravity changes direction and the shell looks like a sphere now with the one you left wrapped around it.

I've once had a similar thought, but with only one sphere: If you leave the sphere at one edge, you enter the sphere at the opposite edge. It's basically the 3d equivalent to a Pac Man / Asteroids metric.

If I understood you correctly, the space you described is similar, but there are two spheres with a gravitational center for each of them, and when leaving one sphere, one enters the other sphere at the same azimuth angle, but at the mirrored polar angle.

What I don't get is why those humans are inside a hypersphere. From what I understand a hypersphere is the n-dimensional equivalent to a circle or sphere, and usually refers to the 4d equivalent if n is fixed, but not explicitely specified (so I assume 4d is meant here). Now "Pac Man space" is a (2d) torus (= the surface of a 3d donut), and I assume the spaces we described are probably a 3d torus, the surface of a (4d) hypersphere, or the surface of another 4d object. But how can the space you described be seen as a (4d) hypersphere itself? :?

P.S.: I wonder if the word hyperdonut exists ^^

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:05 pm UTC

This is totally one of the best in a while. Genius.

rhomboidal wrote:Hehe, we take gravity WAY too lightly.

Of course we take gravity lightly, it's heavy shit man, if we didn't take it so lightly, it would totally weigh us down.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

snowyowl

Postby snowyowl » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:43 pm UTC

Gedankenwelt wrote:I've once had a similar thought, but with only one sphere: If you leave the sphere at one edge, you enter the sphere at the opposite edge. It's basically the 3d equivalent to a Pac Man / Asteroids metric.

This topology is called a projective plane, if you want to read more about it. (Though normally you need to travel an infinite distance before you "loop", so you'd need to adjust the distances near the boundary so the whole thing is finite.)

Gedankenwelt wrote:If I understood you correctly, the space you described is similar, but there are two spheres with a gravitational center for each of them, and when leaving one sphere, one enters the other sphere at the same azimuth angle, but at the mirrored polar angle.

They way I was visualising it, when you leave one sphere you arrive at the antipode of the corresponding point on the other sphere. Of course, it's the same thing really, it just depends on which meridians the inhabitants of the two spheres chose as their Greenwich.

Gedankenwelt wrote:What I don't get is why those humans are inside a hypersphere. From what I understand a hypersphere is the n-dimensional equivalent to a circle or sphere, and usually refers to the 4d equivalent if n is fixed, but not explicitely specified (so I assume 4d is meant here). Now "Pac Man space" is a (2d) torus (= the surface of a 3d donut), and I assume the spaces we described are probably a 3d torus, the surface of a (4d) hypersphere, or the surface of another 4d object. But how can the space you described be seen as a (4d) hypersphere itself? :?

I suspect Max™ is a topologist. When he says "hypersphere", he means the 3d surface of a 4d object. The people here live "inside" a 3d space.

Gedankenwelt wrote:P.S.: I wonder if the word hyperdonut exists ^^

My spell-check accepts it. O_o
The preceding comment is an automated response.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:15 pm UTC

Gedankenwelt wrote:...from my understanding, this still means that objects inside the shell can have a gravitational field that affects other objects there (but not the shell itself). Is this correct?

Yes, that's my understanding. Objects outside can, too - it doesn't screen the field like a Faraday Cage.
Thanks for the explanation - I can see that it's possible, but it still seems surprising that the field should cancel out exactly. Wikipedia has a good page on the Shell Theorem including doing it using the surface and volume integrals. It's a lot easier to see it that way, but then you have to convince yourself that Gauss's and Newton's laws of gravitation are equivalent.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

niky

Postby niky » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:29 pm UTC

In the Vacuum Diampgrams story, I was under the impression, at first, that it was just one planet,folded in on itself. Might be interesting to construct it that was, actually... Just to find out what happens at the equator,,,

What bothered me is how a completely sealed hypersphere like that managed to keep from overheating from the heat geenrated by that small "sun"... given that it was basically a pocket universe of sorts.

But then, that's Xeelee. Xeelee are magical.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:33 pm UTC

Gedankenwelt wrote:What I don't get is why those humans are inside a hypersphere. From what I understand a hypersphere is the n-dimensional equivalent to a circle or sphere, and usually refers to the 4d equivalent if n is fixed, but not explicitely specified (so I assume 4d is meant here). Now "Pac Man space" is a (2d) torus (= the surface of a 3d donut), and I assume the spaces we described are probably a 3d torus, the surface of a (4d) hypersphere, or the surface of another 4d object. But how can the space you described be seen as a (4d) hypersphere itself? :?

P.S.: I wonder if the word hyperdonut exists ^^

The usual terms are n-dimensional torus, n-torus, or hypertorus, but hyperdonut is not unknown. :)

Wikipedia wrote:The torus has a generalization to higher dimensions, the n-dimensional torus, often called the n-torus or hypertorus[5] for short. (This is one of two different meanings of the term "n-torus".) Recalling that the torus is the product space of two circles, the n-dimensional torus is the product of n circles.

The torus discussed above is the 2-dimensional torus. The 1-dimensional torus is just the circle. Just as for the 2-torus, the n-torus can be described as a quotient of Rn under integral shifts in any coordinate. That is, the n-torus is Rn modulo the action of the integer lattice Zn (with the action being taken as vector addition). Equivalently, the n-torus is obtained from the n-dimensional hypercube by gluing the opposite faces together.

The people aren't in the 4D interior of the hypersphere, but they are in its 3D hypersurface. So although you could say that the people are on the hypersurface of a hypersphere, I assume that the writer wants his readers to understand that his protagonists are inside something, not just stuck on the outside of some 2D surface. (I haven't read the story in question).

The 3D surface of a 4D hypersphere is often called a 3-sphere. It has different topology to a hypertorus, as you'd expect from the analogous case of the surfaces of a 3D sphere and a 3D torus. You can unfold the surface of a torus onto a plane without stretching it, so any tiling pattern that works on a plane also works on a torus, and vice versa, without distortion; you can't do that with a sphere. Similar reasoning applies in higher dimensions.

As for the hypersurface of a 4D sphere being mapped to a pair of 3D spheres, that's analogous to mapping the surface of a 3D sphere into a pair of circles, eg as in an orthographic projections. Note that this is impossible to do without some form of distortion.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:45 am UTC

Vroomfundel wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:It would be cool. I think there's a piece of art by Frederic Perrin which gives a pretty cool description http://fredericperrin.com/production.html (Galleries -> Animated Movies -> and you'll have to sift through the art till you find it).

Yeah, there were a few interesting visualizations. Prompted me to write this:
http://deathasingularityornothing.blogspot.com/

I'm thinking on the technologies involved - how can such a thing work. Can we cancel gravity out with something? Or suspended from a space station or a natural satellite, slowed down to geostationary orbit with nukes? Lots of options, not many of them plausible but interesting to entertain anyway.
If we don't have gravity - why do we have pouring water (that's inevitably featured on all such pictures) or tree roots dangling from beneath?

Since I am not a member of any of the services that are required to post a comment directly to that blog, I will comment here instead.

There are two more ways of having a floating city beyond the three that were listed that I can think of: propulsive and buoyant.

If you have sufficient upward propulsive force (e.g. a magnetic field strong enough to repel the Earth's field, or big enough ducted fans and enough energy to hover like a helicopter long-term), then you can stay in the air. The "floating mountains" in Avatar would be an example of the former, while the HMS Valiant from "Dr. Who" or SHIELD's Helicarrier would be an example of the latter.

On the other hand, you could essentially hold up your city with hydrogen/helium balloons. This would either give you what is effectively a giant airship like the mile-long Castle Wulfenbach as seen in http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20030630 and http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20030702 or else you would basically have a platform with buildings suspended from balloons like the town of Airhaven in the "Mortal Engines" series by Philip Reeve. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Engines

Max™

Postby Max™ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:48 am UTC

snowyowl wrote:
Gedankenwelt wrote:I've once had a similar thought, but with only one sphere: If you leave the sphere at one edge, you enter the sphere at the opposite edge. It's basically the 3d equivalent to a Pac Man / Asteroids metric.

This topology is called a projective plane, if you want to read more about it. (Though normally you need to travel an infinite distance before you "loop", so you'd need to adjust the distances near the boundary so the whole thing is finite.)

Gedankenwelt wrote:If I understood you correctly, the space you described is similar, but there are two spheres with a gravitational center for each of them, and when leaving one sphere, one enters the other sphere at the same azimuth angle, but at the mirrored polar angle.

They way I was visualising it, when you leave one sphere you arrive at the antipode of the corresponding point on the other sphere. Of course, it's the same thing really, it just depends on which meridians the inhabitants of the two spheres chose as their Greenwich.

I suspect Max™ is a topologist. When he says "hypersphere", he means the 3d surface of a 4d object. The people here live "inside" a 3d space.

I have been tainted by topologists, but am not one myself.

Take a sphere and put a rod on each point at the surface, now place another sphere at the end of one rod, then map every point on the second sphere to the corresponding rod from the first sphere.

If you removed every rod but one and stood next to it, you'd see it extending upwards to the surface of a shell wrapped around the sphere you're on, as would an observer on the other sphere.

If your head hurts, that's good, it's a sign your brain is functioning within normal tolerances.

If you feel something wet on your shoulder, don't panic, it's probably blood from your ears, if there are chunks of brain in it, go see a physician immediately.
mu

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:29 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:If your head hurts, that's good, it's a sign your brain is functioning within normal tolerances.

If you feel something wet on your shoulder, don't panic, it's probably blood from your ears, if there are chunks of brain in it, go see a physician immediately.

Or else, see a topologist, and they can put your brain all back within your head without touching a bit of it.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:07 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:
Max™ wrote:If your head hurts, that's good, it's a sign your brain is functioning within normal tolerances.

Or else, see a topologist, and they can put your brain all back within your head without touching a bit of it.

Dunno, they might do something like declare the outside of my head to be the inside then shoot me in the face...
mu

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:26 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:
bmonk wrote:

Dunno, they might do something like declare the outside of my head to be the inside then shoot me in the face...

I was thinking more on the line of scalping you, turning the hair inside out, and gluing the cut back together, and then declaring that they "haven't changed anything."
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:33 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:
Max™ wrote:
bmonk wrote:

I was thinking more on the line of scalping you, turning the hair inside out, and gluing the cut back together, and then declaring that they "haven't changed anything."

Well, topologically I am a donut, so what's the big deal, right?
mu

niky

Postby niky » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:52 am UTC

A donut with chocolate filling on the inside of the hole.

Yum.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:59 am UTC

niky wrote:A donut with chocolate filling on the inside of the hole.

Yum.

Went a little further than I was going to, I was going to make a joke about how nematodes or something...
mu

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”