Playoffs! Playoffs!? ... MLB edition

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

iamspen

Playoffs! Playoffs!? ... MLB edition

Postby iamspen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Who are you rooting for? Who are you against? Who's going to take home the stupid-looking World Series trophy?

As a Reds fan, even I'm stunned at how Cincinnati spanked the Giants in NLDS Game 1, despite losing staff ace Johnny Cueto after only one batter. Since they established themselves so well, though, I'm going to be a homer and pick them to win the NL in a series against Washington. Also, as a Cincy fan, I want St. Louis to get nuked.

In the AL, I can't even begin to pick their Whirled Series representative. I'm pulling for the O's, but I wouldn't mind playing the A's. I'd root for the communists over the Yankees.

Darryl

Re: Playoffs! Playoffs!? ... MLB edition

Postby Darryl » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:04 pm UTC

As a long-time fan of the Yankees, I'm obviously rooting for the Evil Empire to win the whole thing. As for the NL, I don't particularly care who loses to the Yankees.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:13 am UTC

Go Yanks. Though realistically I don't know if they'll be able to pull it off.

No comments on that ridiculous one game wild card idea? Sure, let's pit Atlanta vs St. Louis, even though Atlanta had like a 6 game lead over St Louis. So we have in the playoffs a team that didn't win the Division and didn't technically win the Wild Card. Way to reward mediocrity.

juststrange

Postby juststrange » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:29 am UTC

I'm sorry to say I'll have to be set against you both. Grew up outside of Baltimore, the O's haven't made the playoffs, or even had a winning season in almost a decade and a half. Let's Go O's!

Also, I swear if we get up to New York and I see Jeffrey Maier on television..... Even Rich Garcia still has a bad name down here. This is a town that holds grudges though - the Ursay family and even the Mayflower moving company don't get much love either.

Darryl

Postby Darryl » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:36 pm UTC

juststrange wrote:I'm sorry to say I'll have to be set against you both. Grew up outside of Baltimore, the O's haven't made the playoffs, or even had a winning season in almost a decade and a half. Let's Go O's!

Also, I swear if we get up to New York and I see Jeffrey Maier on television..... Even Rich Garcia still has a bad name down here. This is a town that holds grudges though - the Ursay family and even the Mayflower moving company don't get much love either.

The Irsays deserve no forgiveness until they give the Baltimore Colts history to the Ravens. That is the only possible recompense for the dickery they engaged in with the move to Indy.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:18 pm UTC

The Ravens don't deserve the Colts' name, and the city of Baltimore doesn't either, after making them play in a baseball stadium and then trying to seize the franchise via eminent domain.

That said, go O's!

iamspen

Postby iamspen » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:41 pm UTC

My Reds issued a borderline-illegal smackdown on two of the best pitchers in the Majors, in a ballpark bigger than some municipalities. Yeah, this is gonna be FUN.

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:56 pm UTC

Your Reds are smacking around my Giants. Sad times. :( Bad outing from Bumgarner and no run support for Cain (he's used to it). Maybe next year we'll be more Giant. Or maybe we'll come back and sweep but I'm not counting on it.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Darryl

Postby Darryl » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:02 am UTC

Heisenberg wrote:The Ravens don't deserve the Colts' name, and the city of Baltimore doesn't either, after making them play in a baseball stadium and then trying to seize the franchise via eminent domain.

That said, go O's!

They tried to seize it in response to Irsay refusing to negotiate with the city, and last I checked, all the California football teams are fine with playing in Baseball stadiums. Oakland Raiders and A's, San Diego Chargers and Padres, and San Francisco 49ers and Giants share their stadiums.

Also, Memorial Stadium wasn't a "baseball stadium", it was a mutli-purpose stadium built to house both the Orioles and Colts.

And Irsay still went back on the promise that got the city to stop fighting his move to Indy, which was "we, the owners of the now-Indianapolis Colts, will back Baltimore in the next expansion".

Garm

Postby Garm » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:02 pm UTC

Darryl wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:The Ravens don't deserve the Colts' name, and the city of Baltimore doesn't either, after making them play in a baseball stadium and then trying to seize the franchise via eminent domain.

That said, go O's!

They tried to seize it in response to Irsay refusing to negotiate with the city, and last I checked, all the California football teams are fine with playing in Baseball stadiums. Oakland Raiders and A's, San Diego Chargers and Padres, and San Francisco 49ers and Giants share their stadiums.

Also, Memorial Stadium wasn't a "baseball stadium", it was a mutli-purpose stadium built to house both the Orioles and Colts.

And Irsay still went back on the promise that got the city to stop fighting his move to Indy, which was "we, the owners of the now-Indianapolis Colts, will back Baltimore in the next expansion".

The San Francisco Baseball Giants (the real ones, that is) play in AT&T Park. The 49ers play in the perversion of city planning that is Candlestick Park. The Padres and the Chargers no longer share a stadium, playing in Petco and Qualcomm parks respectively. The Raiders and the A's do share the Coliseum, one of the worst places to watch sports in the history of ever. As of now, however, it's the only stadium where a MLB team and an NFL team share space. That's not going to change any time soon, I imagine, since Oakland is pretty poor and there's really no place to put another giant concrete circle. Except maybe closer to the water, but then you'd end up with Candlestick II and no one wants that.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

gordo

Postby gordo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:34 pm UTC

The worlds only Dutch Tigers fan here ;-)

Some background information might be appropriate. I lived in Detroit (or actually Royal Oak, on of its suburbs) for a year doing an internship at a local university. I had never been exposed to baseball before, but since I arrived early in October of 2006, that didn't last very long. I saw two games while living there, including Justin Verlander's no-hitter against the Brewers, although I didn't really understand the significance of the event at that time (that was not well received by some...).
I got hooked on the game (in particular all the statistics), but since I didn't have a TV were I lived, the experience was a bit limited. Back here in Holland it took a while before I discovered and could afford an MLB.TV subscription (being a student and all). Enjoyed said subscription this year to the fullest, or at least as far as I can see the games live (time difference and such). I'm working on converting a Raspberry Pi to a MLB.TV station, so I can tune in on any game without having to hook up my laptop and everything.
Unfortunately, I don't get to go to the USA very often, and have only managed to see one more game in the last years...

Anyway, go Tigers!

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:57 pm UTC

Doesn't baseball have some modicum of popularity in the Netherlands? I know it's very popular in their Caribbean islands, I thought it was brought over from there. I know they have the best team in Europe (again, because of players from the Caribbean).

gordo

Postby gordo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:34 pm UTC

True, but the level doesn't even come close the level of the MLB. Also, those games are played very far from where I live, and not televised...

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:50 pm UTC

Go team I prefer, beat all the teams I do not prefer! And I say this without even knowing any of the players on said team.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:31 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Go team I prefer, beat all the teams I do not prefer! And I say this without even knowing any of the players on said team.

You're a die-hard baseball fan, I take it?
I looked out across the river today …

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:14 pm UTC

Everyone here (Oakland) is going crazy about the game set to go tonight. Sold out. However they still have tarps over the upper deck.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:16 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:Go team I prefer, beat all the teams I do not prefer! And I say this without even knowing any of the players on said team.

You're a die-hard baseball fan, I take it?

Obviously, he's talking about football....

gordo

Postby gordo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:52 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:Everyone here (Oakland) is going crazy about the game set to go tonight. Sold out. However they still have tarps over the upper deck.

I was going to write something about how the tarps are for protection against the Tigers awesomeness, but truth be told, I have no idea who's going to win...

It'll be 3:30 am here when the game starts. I wonder if I will be able to resist checking the scores when I get up tomorrow, so that I can watch it when I come home after work... Probably not.

Radical_Initiator

Postby Radical_Initiator » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:02 pm UTC

Wooo! Enjoy the offseason, Reds!

Garm

Postby Garm » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:04 pm UTC

I guess I know why other GMs started crying when they heard Buster Posey got drafted by the Giants. Can't believe that happened.
- JFK

iamspen

Postby iamspen » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:00 am UTC

My fandom hurts.

Radical_Initiator

Postby Radical_Initiator » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:18 am UTC

It does surprise me that, so far, 3 of the 4 division series have or will have gone the whole 5 games (and, as of the writing of this, the fourth looks like it could as well). Maybe that's not so strange for a slightly shorter series, but I think it's kind of interesting nonetheless.

Edit: Make that all 4.
Last edited by Radical_Initiator on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:14 am UTC

High five, gordo!
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

gordo

Postby gordo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:42 am UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:High five, gordo!

Awesome!

Of course I couldn't resist checking the scores this morning...

starslayer

Postby starslayer » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:21 pm UTC

gordo wrote:Awesome!

You'll be in for a treat if you watch the game today; Verlander was dealing. The A's never had a chance.

gordo

Postby gordo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:13 pm UTC

starslayer wrote:

You'll be in for a treat if you watch the game today; Verlander was dealing. The A's never had a chance.

So I heard. Watching now, finally.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:54 pm UTC

starslayer wrote:

Verlander in a 5 game series is pretty hard to deal with.

I'm a Yankee fan, been wondering when the offense is going to show up. Big 9th inning in game 1, besides that it's been staggeringly bad.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:39 pm UTC

Yeah, a lot of people are criticizing A-Rod for not showing up but it's not like the others are much better. Granderson's not hitting, Swisher's been awful, Cano has not done much either.

Radical_Initiator

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:41 pm UTC

Can't hold those Cardinals down, can you? Would have preferred to see Baltimore in the ALCS, but STL in and Cincy out? That's pretty damn good, right there.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:46 pm UTC

Ugh, can't believe St. Louis.

Radical_Initiator

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:19 pm UTC

I'm not really understanding all the anti-love for the Cardinals. Yeah, last year a wild card won the Series, and this year, a second-place wild-card team is in the LCS. A better team should still be able to put down a lesser one in a 5- or 7-game series.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:46 pm UTC

I wouldn't say it's hatred on my part, I just feel they shouldn't have been playing in the playoffs in the first place. I know it's not their fault, they don't make the rules, and they went and beat the Braves (albeit with controversy) and the Nats and so they deserve to be where they are. But no matter what I still think the Braves got screwed twice.

Garm

Postby Garm » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:33 pm UTC

I just hate the Cards. Not that I need a reason to root against them in this particular series. Go Giants!
- JFK

Radical_Initiator

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:40 am UTC

Now, see, I don't get that. Hate the Yanks because it's the Evil Empire(tm). Hate the Mets because they're pond scum, hate the Cubs because you are in possession of and have used on at least one occasion multiple brain cells. Hate the Cards? Don't get it.

I've got nothing against SF, though. I was pulling for them in '10. I'd just rather they didn't win this series.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:00 am UTC

I can certify that I hate the Cardinals.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:37 am UTC

Whatever the outcome of this game, I'm gonna name my firstborn Raul.

Garm

Postby Garm » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:02 am UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:Now, see, I don't get that. Hate the Yanks because it's the Evil Empire(tm). Hate the Mets because they're pond scum, hate the Cubs because you are in possession of and have used on at least one occasion multiple brain cells. Hate the Cards? Don't get it.

I've got nothing against SF, though. I was pulling for them in '10. I'd just rather they didn't win this series.

The Cards and their fan's treatment of Jeffrey Leonard during the 1987 NLCS has a lot to do with my hatred of the team. Watching the umps do nothing while people pelted a player with matchbox cars was pretty demoralizing. Also, the blown Fan Interference call. The whole series was fucked up. More recent reasons are Mark McGwire and Tony LaRussa (both of whom I hated when they were on the A's so there's consistency there).
- JFK

gordo

Postby gordo » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:06 pm UTC

mosc wrote:
starslayer wrote:

Verlander in a 5 game series is pretty hard to deal with.

I'm a Yankee fan, been wondering when the offense is going to show up. Big 9th inning in game 1, besides that it's been staggeringly bad.

My friend is also a Yankees fan... all kinds of fun ahead. I didn't have a chance to watch the game yet, but a bummer that Jeter is out. When the Tigers will win the ALCS, I'll hear till at least next year that the Tigers wouldn't have had a chance it if Jeter had been available for the whole series. I will have a decent reply though: Cabrera.

iamspen

Postby iamspen » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:54 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:Now, see, I don't get that. Hate the Yanks because it's the Evil Empire(tm). Hate the Mets because they're pond scum, hate the Cubs because you are in possession of and have used on at least one occasion multiple brain cells. Hate the Cards? Don't get it.

The Cards have a reputation for being whiny bitches, to the point where they complained about the advertizing banners behind home plate in Miller Park. On one occasion, La Russa and Chris Carpenter complained about the smoke from the home run fireworks. It's insufferable.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:36 pm UTC

Cathode Ray Sunshine wrote:Ugh, can't believe St. Louis.

Garm wrote:I just hate the Cards. Not that I need a reason to root against them in this particular series. Go Giants!

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:I can certify that I hate the Cardinals.

You shut your heathen mouths! You shut them right now! Do not speak ill of the team I prefer!

Return to “News & Articles”