1155: "Kolmogorov Directions"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rhomboidal

1155: "Kolmogorov Directions"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:13 am UTC

Title Text: People get really grumpy when they realize you're giving them directions for how to go to the store and buy a GPS.

I'm pretty sure this was also the initial algorithm for Apple Maps.

Steve the Pocket

Re: 1155: "Kolmogorov Directions"

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:45 am UTC

Reminds me of that one Dilbert strip where he gives the cashier a weird amount that's higher than the total of his items because, to his engineer mind, it's simpler to make change for it. The cashier is totally stumped as to what he's supposed to do (this was, I guess, before cash registers that could tally up the change for you).
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:46 am UTC

"Named for a president" and not "Named after a president?" What's that about?

BAReFOOt

Postby BAReFOOt » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:54 am UTC

Why would you give them anything other than GPS coordinates via IM, e-mail, or something similar?

Or a map link. With url shorteners, that even works over the phone.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:09 am UTC

Because your grandparents don't have (or want) that kind of stuff.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:23 am UTC

To answer the inevitable question: this is from Kolmogorov complexity, which is the idea that a message that can be produced by a very short algorithm is simpler (and contains less information) than a message that requires a much longer algorithm to generate (ie a message that cannot be compressed well). Our protagonist in the comic has found a route for the other character to take which can be compressed very well, so it has low Kolmogorov complexity - as the description he gives is much shorter than a full list of directions. Of course, there's a difference between being well-compressed and being useful...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:40 am UTC

The problem with data compression in this sense is that decompressing it and processing the algorithm into a useful form may require far more processing time than simply transmitting the final processed output. In other words, you spend more time extracting the meaning from the instructions than you save by compressing them. This is why such forms of compression are mainly used when storage space or communication bandwidth is at a greater premium than the processor time and runtime memory required to decompress it (e.g. when sending files over a dialup modem or other very slow connection).

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:25 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:Reminds me of that one Dilbert strip where he gives the cashier a weird amount that's higher than the total of his items because, to his engineer mind, it's simpler to make change for it. The cashier is totally stumped as to what he's supposed to do (this was, I guess, before cash registers that could tally up the change for you).

I do this all the time and always get funny looks. Most people will pay the exact change amount if they can, and failing that will pay the pennies to avoid getting pennies back, but when I give an extra nickle to get a dime instead of a nickle (thus reducing the change in my pocket by 1) it confuses people.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:34 am UTC

phlip wrote:To answer the inevitable question: this is from Kolmogorov complexity, which is the idea that a message that can be produced by a very short algorithm is simpler (and contains less information) than a message that requires a much longer algorithm to generate (ie a message that cannot be compressed well). Our protagonist in the comic has found a route for the other character to take which can be compressed very well, so it has low Kolmogorov complexity - as the description he gives is much shorter than a full list of directions. Of course, there's a difference between being well-compressed and being useful...

TBH, as someone who gets to most places by a combination of public transportation and walking I would find this very useful. I have a bad habit of "memorizing" parts of directions that seem too tedious to write down, only to find that I've forgotten key items when I actually need to figure out where I'm going. If I could really get my trip down to "every left except primes and presidents," it would make it a lot easier to memorize my route. And, at walking speed, it's not at all inconvenient to ask whether a street sign is prime when I see it up ahead.

Of course, it would probably be easier to just resolve to write things down properly, but if I'm not doing that anyway I could see the usefulness of a mnemonic like this.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:49 am UTC

An example of extreme simplicity in directions for solving a very complicated problem is in finding ones way through a maze - simply continue walking, keeping your right hand on a wall and you will eventually reach the exit.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:55 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:"Named for a president" and not "Named after a president?" What's that about?
You also have to trust that they know "Lincoln Avenue" was named after early local settler Jeremiah Lincoln.

Yerushalmi

Postby Yerushalmi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:28 am UTC

At some point while living in my old apartment I noticed that it had a very amusing location in Jerusalem. Whenever someone would stop me outside my apartment and ask how to leave the city and get to Tel Aviv, I'd ask them, "Do you want the short way or the simple way?" The short way was rather complicated - turn left here, another left at the light, a right at the next light, etc. - but, obviously, short. The simple way was "Make a U-turn, and then keep going straight until you get to Tel Aviv." (Somehow, they invariably asked me when their car was pointing in the opposite direction from the simple way.) The simple way would take you in loops and circles around the city for a while until suddenly you found yourself on Route 1, pointing towards Tel Aviv.

Human nature being what it is, nobody was EVER able to resist asking me what both sets of directions were. Interestingly, only once in the entire four years I lived there did anybody actually choose the simple way.

leapoffaith28

Postby leapoffaith28 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:33 am UTC

I have registered to ask..

Steve, where is the original post in your sig? :D

Oh, great comic too.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:24 am UTC

Did he optimise the route, then compress the directions? Or did he jointly optimise both?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Arariel

Postby Arariel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:33 am UTC

Davidy wrote:An example of extreme simplicity in directions for solving a very complicated problem is in finding ones way through a maze - simply continue walking, keeping your right hand on a wall and you will eventually reach the exit.

A maze with walls that form a square somewhere within it (or other close-ended shape). You put your right hand on it, you'll walk around in a circle.

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:02 am UTC

Reminds me of that one Dilbert strip where he gives the cashier a weird amount that's higher than the total of his items because, to his engineer mind, it's simpler to make change for it. The cashier is totally stumped as to what he's supposed to do (this was, I guess, before cash registers that could tally up the change for you).

I do that all the time. The cashier is usually glad, because he gets a bunch of small change in his float.

"Named for a president" and not "Named after a president?" What's that about

It is a perfectly common expression.

Why would you give them anything other than GPS coordinates via IM, e-mail, or something similar? Or a map link. With url shorteners, that even works over the phone.

Great! Unless the person has never used a computer or a GPS.

Did he optimise the route, then compress the directions? Or did he jointly optimise both?

He didn't optimise the route ... he chose the most compressed directions that got the person to the destination.
a) Please explain the specific MEDICAL reason for ordering this MEDICATION !
b) Please state the nature of your ailment or injury.
c) One a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your pain?
d) Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:04 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:"Named for a president" and not "Named after a president?" What's that about?

Maybe it's about your English language deficiencies? I'm not sure the sentence could be any clearer. If the phrasing is at all problematic, then how did you know it meant the same thing as "named after" anyway?

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:04 am UTC

I think people in this thread are missing that the route itself is probably inefficient; it just so happens that the simplified directions are highly compressed.

gazdinf

Postby gazdinf » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:06 am UTC

Actually you cannot buy "a GPS", unless the United States government decides to sell all the satellites, etc...
You can only by GPS based navigation systems. :)

ElWanderer

Postby ElWanderer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:12 am UTC

It's a difference between American English and English. In the US, the former construction is "right", though in the UK we generally never use it and it sounds wrong to our ears.
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:02 am UTC

Davidy wrote:An example of extreme simplicity in directions for solving a very complicated problem is in finding ones way through a maze - simply continue walking, keeping your right hand on a wall and you will eventually reach the exit.

In the UK you have to use your left hand instead :P

alvinhochun

Postby alvinhochun » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

I'm sure he will finally realize that he is stuck in an endless loop.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

alvinhochun wrote:I'm sure he will finally realize that he is stuck in an endless loop.

If you are talking about the comic, that is possible but not necessarily true. Making left turns over and over would be an infinite loop if you never stopped, but if your destination were somewhere along that route, there's nothing saying you can't stop at it.

LtPowers

Postby LtPowers » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

Only if the maze is two-dimensional and the entrance and exit are both along the outer wall.

Powers &8^]

mfc

Postby mfc » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

Grumble .. it would have been so much better if titled " Kolmogorov-Chaitin Directions" ... Greg's contribution was more relevant to the cartoon, I would suggest.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

OP Tipping wrote:

I do that all the time. The cashier is usually glad, because he gets a bunch of small change in his float.

It depends on the values in question, in my experience. If, for example, I give the cashier $10.03 for a $5.03 order, it's all good. Alternately, if I give the cashier $10.08 for a $5.83 order, it is far more likely to require a "trust me".

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

leapoffaith28 wrote:I have registered to ask..

Oh, great comic too.

I belive it was http://xkcd.com/528/

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

leapoffaith28 wrote:I have registered to ask..

Oh, great comic too.

Ooh, I can answer this one!

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32997&p=1306377#p1306377

[although I did get sniped a bit...]
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:... If, for example, I give the cashier $10.03 for a $5.03 order, it's all good. Alternately, if I give the cashier $10.08 for a $5.83 order, it is far more likely to require a "trust me".

Woah, until you nerd-sniped me with that example I hadn't thought about how much more interesting this type of activity is made by the existence of the quarter. In currencies with a 1,2,5 system you can deal with the units first then work up to the tens. But the quarter couples the tens into the units in a nontrivial way.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:Reminds me of that one Dilbert strip where he gives the cashier a weird amount that's higher than the total of his items because, to his engineer mind, it's simpler to make change for it. The cashier is totally stumped as to what he's supposed to do (this was, I guess, before cash registers that could tally up the change for you).

Hey, I've been doing this for ages, before and after cash registers started "helping" the cashiers. Some of them do manage to figure it out.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

Seeing as many years ago (ish), there was an XKCD strip about GPS directions sending him to a ferry port, but since it was midnite the ferry was closed, so he had to drive googol miles around the lake, I would be very suspicious if Randall sent me to a store to get a GPS.
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

enumerated powers

Postby enumerated powers » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

And the probability he will reach the desired destination is either zero or one.
Last edited by enumerated powers on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

OtherRob

Postby OtherRob » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

phlip wrote:To answer the inevitable question...

Thanks, phlip. That's exactly why I came to the forum today. :D

selene

Postby selene » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:33 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:
OP Tipping wrote:

It depends on the values in question, in my experience. If, for example, I give the cashier $10.03 for a $5.03 order, it's all good. Alternately, if I give the cashier $10.08 for a $5.83 order, it is far more likely to require a "trust me".

This is why I like the self checkout machines. I can put in $21.08 for a $5.83 order without confusing the cashier and wasting both our time.

However, in my experience those machines are stingy about quarters; they usually give back two dimes and a nickel.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
alvinhochun wrote:I'm sure he will finally realize that he is stuck in an endless loop.

If you are talking about the comic, that is possible but not necessarily true. Making left turns over and over would be an infinite loop if you never stopped, but if your destination were somewhere along that route, there's nothing saying you can't stop at it.

Or it can lead you to a cul-de-sac.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:

You've never driven in Boston and Cambridge, I bet. You can take two lefts and find yourself going in the same direction as you started out. Or five rights and lost in Brookline.
Former OTTer

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:

You've never driven in Boston and Cambridge, I bet. You can take two lefts and find yourself going in the same direction as you started out. Or five rights and lost in Brookline.

What?

The poster I quoted said the person in the comic was providing directions to an infinite loop. Just because there is some example somewhere of where this might be true doesn't mean it is automatically the case. I don't care about left turns in Boston or Cambridge.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

LtPowers wrote:

Only if the maze is two-dimensional and the entrance and exit are both along the outer wall.

Powers &8^]

But it's much less fun. On the other hand, you could end up like Jack Nicolson.

TeddyB

Postby TeddyB » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

Has anyone actually tried to work out where these directions end you up (assuming it's in NYC)?

MakingProgress

Postby MakingProgress » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

LtPowers wrote:Only if the maze is two-dimensional and the entrance and exit are both along the outer wall.

Anyone have an example of a two-dimensional maze with the entrance or exit not along the outer wall ?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”