Sim City

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Chen

Re: Sim City

Postby Chen » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:I'd actually really really like to see a detailed, after the fact explanation of how EA's server architecture for this sort of thing works - did they just accept they'd have problems for a bit? How did they decide how long problems would be OK for and what steady state usage would be? Were their user estimates off? Did things not scale as expected? Why not? How did they make those estimates? How did they test things? Did they incorporate feedback from, say, the D3 launch? How, or why not? How do they adapt when their estimates are off, how long does that take them? I don't expect to ever see such a thing, of course, but it could be a fascinating read.

I'm kind of curious as to this too. I know Blizzard was getting pretty damn good with the WoW servers upon new releases (be it bigger patches or expansions) back when I played. I mean WotLK had pretty much 0 hiccups when it first came online which surprised the hell out of me. Most of its patches were fairly smooth too (I do recall some exceptions but most went pretty good). But then they got hit BAD for the Diablo 3 release. So I have to wonder if it is something about poor estimates or the like rather than not actually wanting to rent/buy more servers.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

This server bullshit is getting ridiculous. There's 2 times the amount of servers than there were yesterday, yet I haven't been able to get a game going today. And apparently the game saves regions on the servers, so the one I managed to log into briefly, didn't have the cities I was able to build yesterday, in between server downtime.

And when I finally do manage to join a server (North America East 2, instead of West Europe 2, because all 4 WE-server are apparently busy and require waiting time), the game manages to lose connection to the server in the time it takes me to press play and end up on the in-game menu... It's becoming really annoying, I'm guess I'm going back to Mass Effect for a few more days and hope Maxis/EA will have sorted this out by then.

I'm quite curious who decided on this model. I've heard people say Maxis decided on multiplayer and EA then forced DRM or the other way 'round. In any case, it's a complete fuck-up

Coin

Postby Coin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

And yet EA are laughing all the way to the bank...
It's bizarre that we are moving towards games becoming a service with all of the benefits for the provider but none of the obligations. In the corporate world this would not be accepted or carry with it heavy consequences such as fines.
Maybe it's time to create a "gamers association" to make the companies take these issues seriously?
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

It seems to be a thing with entertainment industries. For instance, football clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid have a deficit of 500-600 million euros, yet continue to operate. Any normal business would be declared bankrupt long before that.

I doubt an association would have any effect. What's the real fist they could make?

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

Coin wrote:And yet EA are laughing all the way to the bank...
It's bizarre that we are moving towards games becoming a service with all of the benefits for the provider but none of the obligations. In the corporate world this would not be accepted or carry with it heavy consequences such as fines.
Maybe it's time to create a "gamers association" to make the companies take these issues seriously?

Its because people accept to buy these games that they can continue with this type of service. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Enough people do that and they'll change. Now instead people whine and bitch and moan on forums (just got check out the D3 or ME3 forums) yet they still eat up the games as they come out and all the paid DLC that goes along with them.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

Part of me blames the companies, but really I blame us. We are acting like spoiled kids who didn't get exactly what they wanted, when we wanted it.
The Simcity forums are nothing but petitions and rage.

But once the server thing gets resolved, everyone is going to play this game.
Once they increase city size in a future patch, its going to be epic.

I have mentally prepared myself to the fact I probably won't be able to really play until next week.

Also, for the XKCD region --- I am going on vacation so could some kind sole create a region if the game starts working before I get back (and invite everyone I have friended --- my only Origin friends are XKCD sim city region friends)

On a game note:
I was able to play an hour this morning, and I made a city with no intersections that covered the whole city, basically a gigantic winding road that allowed access to the maximum amount of land.
It failed --- I had NO traffic problems at all, UNTIL my garbage trucks would go out and stop at every pick up --- then I had a MASSIVE back up until they had finished their garbage service.
THEN I added a police HQ and the 'detectives' that prevent crime would stop at every house and cause MASSIVE traffic jams.
But other than that it worked great --- just traffic going in 2 directions with no intersections. And apparently pulling into and out of businesses/homes doesn't impede traffic.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Part of me blames the companies, but really I blame us. We are acting like spoiled kids who didn't get exactly what they wanted, when we wanted it.
The Simcity forums are nothing but petitions and rage.

Eh, what do you mean by that? When I can play it, the game is a lot of fun. But my problem is, right now, I can't play it. So yeah, I think we really do have a right to complain, when I buy a game, I expect to be able to play it unless my PC doesn't meet miminum requirements. How the hell was I supposed to know the EA/Maxis servers would fail catastrophically, they even did a stress test I participated in, went horribly at first, but was solved a few hours later. But this isn't solved days later, so I don't understand what, if anything, they learned from it.

It's like buying a plane ticket, then finding out at the airport that the airline sold every seat in the airplane multiple times. Nothing you could've done about it, but you're still not getting what you paid for. Totally the company's fault.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Also, for the XKCD region --- I am going on vacation so could some kind sole create a region if the game starts working before I get back (and invite everyone I have friended --- my only Origin friends are XKCD sim city region friends)
I'd rather wait a bit until they (finally?) deploy some more servers, until then it's a bit of a crapshoot anyway.

Ixtellor wrote:On a game note:
I was able to play an hour this morning, and I made a city with no intersections that covered the whole city, basically a gigantic winding road that allowed access to the maximum amount of land.
It failed --- I had NO traffic problems at all, UNTIL my garbage trucks would go out and stop at every pick up --- then I had a MASSIVE back up until they had finished their garbage service.
THEN I added a police HQ and the 'detectives' that prevent crime would stop at every house and cause MASSIVE traffic jams.
But other than that it worked great --- just traffic going in 2 directions with no intersections. And apparently pulling into and out of businesses/homes doesn't impede traffic.
This is hilarious. I'm wondering how this affects the sims though. Given intra-region commutes are longer than anything in-city i guess they effectively removed travel time limits? Supposedly they had those in 4.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Part of me blames the companies, but really I blame us. We are acting like spoiled kids who didn't get exactly what they wanted, when we wanted it.

Well, you could say the same thing about companies whose games get pirated: "WAH WAH WAH! Pay us our $60 NOW or stop playing our game!"

As opposed to: "WAH WAH WAH! We paid you $60 and we still can't play your game!"

In fact, the consumer complaint is more severe than the piracy complaint, IMO.
-Adam

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

For some strange reason I can't fall asleep... end up logging onto Sim City at 2 Am in the morning and played till 6 am EST, and then wake up again at 8 am and played a bit before heading off to work.

I was surprised there was no problems logging in at all... it could be just because it's Thursday night and everyone was out partying... managed to get into the XKCD Region and made a mining city...(it's Giovinni Wood, for now.)

(Wait I lied... there was a problem... when I started creating my city... It says I can't zone because my road isn't connected to the highway... despite the fact that the only road I build was a straight extension from the highway... :roll: ended up bulldozing and rebuild roads a few time.... wasted a lot of cash, relog in and the problem was solved.. except I'm down 24k from starting cash.)

I remember someone asking about mines not making enough money... the $4k is per 10 ton of production and in order to max that you need 1) place your facility at a good location 2) have a trade depot 3) expand both your mine and your trade depot (extra shaft and trucks for the mines, extra trucks and coal storage for the trade depot)

Also pro-tip: tax your sims like crazy at the start... I saw high industrial demand and basically went 14% tax on industries, and another 13% on residences. At pinnacle point half my city's houses were abandoned... but I'm raking in easy $4k/month on about 1~2k population (plus an achievement for having below 50% approval rate, to boot).

Right now I'm blinging like crazy (both ore and coal mine in full operation), high crime. I think I can contribute to a Great work... but I need to find a way to pack my sims tightly together so I have more room for my industries. It seems like low residential zone can actually pack more sims then a medium zone, but that maybe because I didn't design my city well enough.

BTW What Great Work would you guys wants?

P.S. How do you send money, and share police/fire coverage ?

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:P.S. How do you send money, and share police/fire coverage ?
Drop out to region view, then click the appropriate menu icon at the bottom of the screen (Fire/Police/Money/Water/Ect). To share you just select a connected city (must be connected by road, so within the 4-city zone) and it should show you allocatable vehicles. Money works similarly, select the city and you can send an amount (may be delayed by several minutes).

I think you can allocate all your vehices to other cities and they still pull double duty in your city as well so you're always covered. I'd need to check that though since I haven't played with it enough yet.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

Ixtellor milked one of his city dry to finance his other one... and now the cops are onto him so he's running to cuba :) lol :)

I think I have spare cash to give that region 50k so some poor soul can start a city there some time :)

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:It's like buying a plane ticket, then finding out at the airport that the airline sold every seat in the airplane multiple times. Nothing you could've done about it, but you're still not getting what you paid for. Totally the company's fault.
To be fair, airline companies actually do that. (Well, not to that extent.) But also to be fair, if they boot you because they've overloaded, you get compensation. Often quite a bit of compensation.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

While the discussion of DRM is interesting... it extends beyond the scope of Sim City 5... (Sim City 5 is not the first game to impose DRM, It's not the first game to run into server side problems when intergrating with DRM, nor will it be the last)

I think this part of the discussion merit it's own thread... while the rest of us who just want to talk about the game itself can continue to do so without having to wade through any part of the DRM discussion...

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

I'd love to talk about the game. But I can't because of DRM :P Ok, I'll stop now

First department I add to my City Hall is a finance department, that way you can loan 3 times $100,000. Really helps to get cities going. Of course, start with one, increase profits so you can support the next one, rinse and repeat. And just one department works for the entire region

Coin

Postby Coin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:While the discussion of DRM is interesting... it extends beyond the scope of Sim City 5... (Sim City 5 is not the first game to impose DRM, It's not the first game to run into server side problems when intergrating with DRM, nor will it be the last)

I think this part of the discussion merit it's own thread... while the rest of us who just want to talk about the game itself can continue to do so without having to wade through any part of the DRM discussion...

Here we go: New thread =)
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:(Wait I lied... there was a problem... when I started creating my city... It says I can't zone because my road isn't connected to the highway... despite the fact that the only road I build was a straight extension from the highway... :roll: ended up bulldozing and rebuild roads a few time.... wasted a lot of cash, relog in and the problem was solved.. except I'm down 24k from starting cash.)
Did you pause? I find that it doesn't unlock power / water until you've actually had time pass with your road connected.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:Did you pause? I find that it doesn't unlock power / water until you've actually had time pass with your road connected.

Maybe... I do remember pausing when I'm building the road... I also remember trying different things to see what the error was... including unpausing...

That's what happens when you try to do anything at 2 am in the morning... on a weekday.

anyways exit and relog solved my problem... so it could be Pause/Unpause, server side problems, or something else entirely.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:18 am UTC

Huh, so one of those fire breathing lizards showed up, decided that my dump looked full and that he'd clear that up for me and ate most of the garbage.

Well, I don't think we're even Mr Lizard, but this is a step in the right direction.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:36 am UTC

I've actually been able to play the game! Turns out I just need to wait until all the normal people on Europe West 1 are sleeping or out in town, works for me. I only quit since I need to go to sleep, I've got work in 6,5 hours.

Xeio wrote:Huh, so one of those fire breathing lizards showed up, decided that my dump looked full and that he'd clear that up for me and ate most of the garbage.

Well, I don't think we're even Mr Lizard, but this is a step in the right direction.

Mine did the same! So I guess we know how that works then. Lizard shows up, heads towards the dump, destroys everything in its path.
Which was kind of annoying, since it destroyed my finance department, but not all of city hall. Does anyone know if the department rebuilds itself then? I bulldozed town hall, but then you've still got to re-buy the finance department. It's kinda weird you can't just demolish-and-rebuild one department, like you can storage units in trade depots, but whatever. The departments are locked-in after you chose them, so you can't cheat that way.

Anyhoo: First town, I just did what came naturally, and now it's a pretty high-tech recycling paradise. Well, I need more recyclable garbage, but it's getting there. I need to start another city and build a department of education there, since I need to get up to 75,000 inhabitants to build it here (fire was rampant, so I decided safety outweighed education and I did not expect to have to reach 75,000 for the next upgrade). So yeah, town is running fine, it didn't feel like two hours (much shorter, so when it works, it really is fun) and now I just need to figure out how to get more skyscrapers, apart from upgrading roads and placing parks and education.
It's quite idyllic, healthcare is adequate and crime is non-existant!

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:36 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Like I said, they could buy maybe 10 extra servers, then take them offline the next week, and rent them out to any other company having an initial launch...
Or rent some servers from companies that exist to rent servers to companies with fluctuating demands. Ones that even just reduced their prices, perhaps. If they're going to insist on such a heavy online component, they could at least be fashionable and take proper advantage of The Cloud(tm).

Both Origin and SimCity have active connections to an Amazon AWS domain, or so claims Resource Monitor. I'm pretty sure EA makes use of them.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

So I have been able to play the game, had 2 cities over 100k pop now.
But the multiplayer is still bugged. I saw that 4 of us made it into our region, but I am unable to rejoin that region (usa east 1) and continue with my city.
Me and a friend played last night for 5 hours, and he got an error and was unable to ever get back into his city.

Hopefully it will all get worked out soon, until then spam invites and people.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Once they increase city size in a future patch, its going to be epic.

I can virtually guarantee you that this will not be a free patch. It'll be DLC. Same with many features that were in the previous SimCity, like subways.

This is a game I really would have been interested in if it wasn't published by EA. Unlike some people who bitch and complain about EA's practices and still buy the game, I'm exercising my right to vote with my wallet and not purchase anything from EA.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

Obby

Postby Obby » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

Yeah I can't rejoin any of my games now. It keeps dropping my connection. I can get as far as the loading screen for the city and then it drops the connections until I make it back to the main menu, where it magically reconnects... until I try to join a city again. I played for a while this morning and got my mining city in the XKCD region up to about 280k population, but now I can't rejoin anything, not even the new region you made, Ixtellor. I think I may have accidentally claimed two cities due to the uber amounts of server lag.

It really sucks, the actual game is really goddamn fun, I just can't play it half the time due to the crippling server issues.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

I must admit, I've been feeling kind of...cautious about buying this after all the complaints I've heard. Still, I trust the people of this forum more than those of the simcity forums (or most others for that matter) so based on what I've heard from here I still think I'm going to get it, as this is the most favorable discussion of it that I've found anywhere.

It would be nice if you could turn off disasters though, they don't sound like the kind of thing I'd like to need to deal with. In all honesty, what is the chance of godzilla awakening directly underneath my town, and then proceeding to destroy everything? pretty much 0.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

The reviews on online sites seem to be pretty abysmal. Gamespot gave it 5/10, while the players gave it a 3.5/10. Gamefaqs also gave it a 3.5. I think I'll pass until the game either has its issues fixed or there's a steam deal.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:13 am UTC

I've been playing for pretty much the whole entire day

1) Some minor bug still irritates me. Recycling plant not recycling is the one that stands out here... My city would be in much better shape if the recycling plant could actually collect plastic, alloy, like it was meant to do... you can make a profit recycling in this game...

2) I'll say this one is more like a feature... city complains about sewage... but no one went to work on the water treatment plant the next day... it's a perpetual cycle of people leaving the city, the situation got worse because people aren't going to work in city critical infrastructure ... and more people leaves the city.

This sorta happened to me... My City had a pop of 100k... I kept taxes at a healthy level while trying to build a university so they can fill all those high tech industry job my city has.... but germs were everywhere in my city and people started leaving the city... that lead to a pop down to to 6 k, with me frantically trying to shut down infrastructure and fine creative ways to make money. As I shut down more stuff (School, Mass Transit, Fire department, Police Department, Hospitals...) more sims leaves the city... You really can't fight the tide of your sims leaving.... but that does make sense in a way because it's realistic.

It was ironic that after bankrupting the city twice... I've decided to remain my city "Flint, MI" and then suddenly out of nowhere people move back into the city again. I credit that with the germs in the city dying out (because there's no more people to spread them), and there's less pollution, (due to factories being shut down.) It makes sense in a way.. but this is how All Sim City is for me.... I have no clue how or why it works.... it just does.

I still have budget problems thou... My taxes are set at all 13% for now... and I'm barely balancing my budget.... before then I have all my infrastructure up and is still making a healthy 7k surplus... but that maybe because I've lost all those high tech industries.

Also minor bitching about how much room Trade depot takes... and given the chance to upgrade your Trade HQ... choose the Smelting Plant!!! I made the mistake of going for the Better coal plant... it really does nothing :(

P.S. Started a Backup Region .. XKCD Slightly Worse on North American East 3... I'll try to invite everyone so that if one server went down.. we can play at the backup server.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

eculc wrote:I must admit, I've been feeling kind of...cautious about buying this after all the complaints I've heard. Still, I trust the people of this forum more than those of the simcity forums (or most others for that matter) so based on what I've heard from here I still think I'm going to get it, as this is the most favorable discussion of it that I've found anywhere.
Wait a month. See if we're still playing it then.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

Holy shit. http://www.amazon.com/SimCity-Limited-E ... roduct_top

Out of 3099 reviews, 2,845 of them were 1-star on Amazon. Thats 91% of reviews on Amazon were 1-star. :shock: :shock:

CorruptUser wrote:The reviews on online sites seem to be pretty abysmal. Gamespot gave it 5/10, while the players gave it a 3.5/10. Gamefaqs also gave it a 3.5. I think I'll pass until the game either has its issues fixed or there's a steam deal.

Its EA, so it is sold on Origin... a competitor to Steam. EA games never get on Steam.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

...how many of them actually bought the product?

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:...how many of them actually bought the product?

Good point. I was reading a story on how EA plans to give buyers a free game in view of the unplayability early on, and one of the first comments was someone asking basically "What's EA going to give me? I won't buy this game unless the free game they give me is AAA." Idiot apparently doesn't even own Sim City yet, but demands reparation for time he never wasted on a product he hasn't played.
I looked out across the river today …

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

I was waiting for this game to come out for years. But I'm not going to get it now. I didn't pre-order (thankfully), I knew the DRM was going to be a bit harsh, but ignoring the DRM issue altogether, it's pretty blatant what EA is going to pull.

One game for the price of two five.

That's where you pay for a game, only to discover that critical features need to be purchased. Sim City 5 does not have large regions, even though it does work. Want to build a large city? Pay $20 for the downloadable content for it, never mind that they already have it with large cities. Want subways and advanced transportation, the things they had all the way back in Sim City 2000? Another DLC! Want fancy monuments and other special buildings? More DLC!

We saw this with The Sims. I bought The Sims, then The Sims: Living Large. Then there were expansion packs after expansion packs, oh and you had to get all previous expansions to play the newest one. Initially, Maxis would give free downloadable content as it was created, such as new trash cans or a different couch, just to be nice to their customers. Then they started charging for the DLC. When Sims 2 came out, all the stuff that was in there previously (from the expansions) was gone, until you bought the NEW expansions. So to get the full game as the makers intended, you had to buy EIGHT expansion packs, for something like $400 for the entire game, in addition to the DLC.

DLC does have its place; using a car analogy, a properly done DLC system would be 'Hey, thanks for buying a 2010 Toyota Avalon, we just designed a new engine requires less maintenance and gets better mileage, interested?', while a poorly done DLC system would be 'brakes not included, pay up, oh and it's illegal to purchase brakes for a secondary supplier'. DLC enables a company to continue improving a game long after it's released. DLC expansion packs are actually nice in themselves (downloading through Steam is much more economically efficient than selling in stores). But what were are seeing is that the games are being designed around the DLC rather than the other way around.

This is why I won't be purchasing Sim City 5. I'll pay once. I'll pay a hefty premium once. But I won't pay twice, and I certainly won't pay five times.

Shame on you EA, shtick like this justifies piracy.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Shame on you EA, shtick like this justifies piracy.
Wait, you're criticizing them for something they haven't done yet?
Nylonathatep wrote:1) Some minor bug still irritates me. Recycling plant not recycling is the one that stands out here... My city would be in much better shape if the recycling plant could actually collect plastic, alloy, like it was meant to do... you can make a profit recycling in this game...
There's actually a bug with them that they stop processing recyclables apparently. If you delete and rebuild it it will fix it (for a while anyway).

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

I am absolutely terrible at this game, but I love playing it.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:47 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Holy shit. http://www.amazon.com/SimCity-Limited-E ... roduct_top

Out of 3099 reviews, 2,845 of them were 1-star on Amazon. Thats 91% of reviews on Amazon were 1-star. :shock: :shock:

Well, at least they're reducing the price, to make up for it:
onspecial.png
onspecial.png (8.12 KiB) Viewed 6045 times

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:41 am UTC

Xeio wrote:

For what they are almost certainly planning to do. If large cities and subways, etc, are added pro bono, I may change my mind and get it. They may just have to anyway, due to the bad public reaction.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:59 am UTC

phlip wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:Holy shit. http://www.amazon.com/SimCity-Limited-E ... roduct_top

Well, at least they're reducing the price, to make up for it:
onspecial.png

There ya go! A "Steam Deal" of $0.03 off!!

I'm actually still mildly interested in this game. I typically don't buy games at launch (although I've bought Fire Emblem Awakening, and have Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm coming in), so I wasn't going to jump on this till later. But I'm still interested in Sim City. It looks like the game itself is still decent, although I really am not feeling the MMO aspect to it at the moment. I've been going through my old City Building games instead. (Ceasar 3, Stronghold, Roller Coaster Tycoon) Just something to tide me over for a few weeks until this whole fiasco tides over. Then I guess I'll see any new reviews after that and give it an honest look. I guess I just really want to like Sim City anyway, because Sim City 2000 was one of the first games I ever played... and The Sims afterwards played extremely well.

I got Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm still, a Touhou game I wanna 1cc, a Megaman game from Christmas... but I think I'll eventually get myself to play Sim City anyway.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

http://www.ea.com/news/a-simcity-update ... ur-trouble

Here’s a quick update on the problems we were experiencing with SimCity – and a little something extra for people who bought the game.

The server issues which began at launch have improved significantly as we added more capacity. But some people are still experiencing response and stability problems that we’re working fast to address.

So what went wrong? The short answer is: a lot more people logged on than we expected. More people played and played in ways we never saw in the beta.

OK, we agree, that was dumb, but we are committed to fixing it. In the last 48 hours we increased server capacity by 120 percent. It’s working – the number of people who have gotten in and built cities has improved dramatically. The number of disrupted experiences has dropped by roughly 80 percent.

So we’re close to fixed, but not quite there. I’m hoping to post another update this weekend to let everyone know that the launch issues are behind us.

Something Special for Your Trouble

The good news is that SimCity is a solid hit in all major markets. The consensus among critics and players is that this is fundamentally a great game. But this SimCity is made to be played online, and if you can’t get a stable connection, you’re NOT having a good experience. So we’re not going to rest until we’ve fixed the remaining server issues.

And to get us back in your good graces, we’re going to offer you a free PC download game from the EA portfolio. On March 18, SimCity players who have activated their game will receive an email telling them how to redeem their free game.

I know that’s a little contrived – kind of like buying a present for a friend after you did something crummy. But we feel bad about what happened. We’re hoping you won’t stay mad and that we’ll be friends again when SimCity is running at 100 percent.

SimCity is a GREAT game and the people who made it are incredibly proud. Hang in there – we’ll be providing more updates throughout the weekend.

My bet is they are going to give away Sim Coptor or something related to Sim City 5...

I hope they are giving away Sim Vice City thou....

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Its EA, so it is sold on Origin... a competitor to Steam. EA games never get on Steam since Origin.

And even then I'm thinking some EA games end up on Steam.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
So, as far as I can tell the digital deluxe version is $20 more for like six new things- three landmarks, and three useful buildings.

As for the free game: I generally find such offers worthless, because if I want an old game, I already have it. I'd rather they give out a DLC voucher (which I can see why they don't, because that's still a "here's something for the game you're super frustrated that you can't play!").

Return to “Gaming”