1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

wgasa

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby wgasa » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

i'm fairly sure some people have noticed but i'm not sure it's been explicitly stated. the image is changing without any need for refreshing. just people are talking about refreshing.

there's a bit of javascript (time07) that i have no idea what it does. might be something to do with it.

llameadrpc

Postby llameadrpc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

Well, obviously they started with the rook....

Quenty

Postby Quenty » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

I just registered to post this. You guys missed the javascript beneath the image. The javascript source is labeled time07.js.ms and can be found if you inspect elements in chrome. I can't post the link nor the source, it thinks it's spam.

It looks like it's designed to auto refresh. Also, there's been a ton of images, it's changing over time.

~ Quenty

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

Oh, he has just moved to the other side of the castle.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

rchard2scout

Postby rchard2scout » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

Yay, a new one.
c18731de1f786d812d41800e7c86a6b05b537c1e86519776fbaed6a90db7d432.png

Can't embed images yet, just registered...

rchard2scout

Postby rchard2scout » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

Yay, new frame!

c18731de1f786d812d41800e7c86a6b05b537c1e86519776fbaed6a90db7d432.png

davedrowsy

Postby davedrowsy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:39 pm UTC

meat.paste wrote:This reminds me of the folks who took Beethoven's 9th symphony and electronically stretched it to 24 hours. It is beautiful and maddening.

http://www.park.nl/digidivi/9bs.pls

Yes! I once had a 24-hour party at my apartment where we listened to this the whole time and people came and went for 24 hours. It was an amazing experience.

If only today's comic were more like 9 Beet Stretch... like, if it were one slowly shifting image, like an animated video in super slow-mo. We'd all be glued to our monitors even more than we are now.

This also reminds me of the game Braid -- in order to get one of the secret puzzle pieces (I think that's what it was? It's been a while since I played Braid), you have to stand on a cloud that appears not to be moving at all, but in fact is actually moving extremely slowly, and if you wait long enough (hours and hours) the cloud will transport you across to an area that is otherwise unreachable.

What a fascinating idea! Randall is a genius for adapting this concept of sloooow change to xkcd.

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:I think the joke here is the time all the programming/hacking geeks are spending trying to figure this out. All will be revealed 4/1/2013.

*ahem*

You mean 2013-04-01?

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Stealth Beige

Postby Stealth Beige » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

So, sometimes before I go on vacation, I do extra work to get things ready and running in my absence. I get some stuff done early and set up, and then ignore them while I'm gone.

What are the chances he's just on vacation at a beach?

Maybe he spent a few hours (days?) last week planning a slowmotion slideshow of things he'd like to be doing at a beach, and let it loose on us while vacationing away?

Maybe we shouldn't be gawking at his hard-earned break.

DrB

Postby DrB » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

Still waiting to see if the "tide" eventually comes in. "Time and tide wait for no man..."

Rosewinsall

Postby Rosewinsall » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

Zecrag wrote:
Chrisfs wrote:
Zecrag wrote:how much time can you spend watching a single xkcd comic before unpleasent things start to happen?
Depends , Are you at work? Where's your boss?

Actually I'm already home. But I got nerdsniped in the morning, ended up leaving one hour later then I had planned :D

then you had planned what? than is the correct word there

wikthor

Postby wikthor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

I like the idea of Randall Munroe developing the story in response to what's going on here. I also like what it does to us, watching it unfold.
I like how it makes me realize that “All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”
I like how it makes 30 minutes feel long, and justified, and more precious. How it makes me wait for whatever's next, despite my instant gratification craving.
I don't want the code-breaking to succeed, I don't want the comic to move faster, I don't want a happy ending.
Heck, I'm not sure I want an ending at all.

Randall, if the reader-participation theory is true, I'd like a kite to be flown there soon. Beaches like kites.

CF259

Postby CF259 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

Oh, the suspense.

gear-guy

Postby gear-guy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

Rosewinsall wrote:
Zecrag wrote:
Chrisfs wrote:
Zecrag wrote:how much time can you spend watching a single xkcd comic before unpleasent things start to happen?

Actually I'm already home. But I got nerdsniped in the morning, ended up leaving one hour later then I had planned :D

I didn't know we still did this dedicating a whole post to one spelling/grammar error thing? We know what they meant, and it's quite an easy mistake to make really...

CF259

Postby CF259 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:02 am UTC

It's kinda hard to tell, but the latest looks like she's sitting back with her head on her hand, like she's bored.

arjan

Postby arjan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:05 am UTC

I was going to write that this must be the very first story that is listened to, studied, forecasted, etc by so many people while it's unfolding but actually that's what soap series and feuilletons have been doing for ages. But it's definitely a first in many other aspects, like a new episode every 30 minutes.

My forecast for the next 3 frames: she is now making something completely different while he is watching, he's still fine with the "normal" castle they where used to.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:06 am UTC

People are wondering what they are saying, but I think all of what is going on can easily be enjoyed in utter silence. It's like they spontaneously participate in activities with each other.

I'm betting this will be a "touching" comic, and will not have any wacky twist ending.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

drummerpatch

Postby drummerpatch » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:06 am UTC

CF259 wrote:It's kinda hard to tell, but the latest looks like she's sitting back with her head on her hand, like she's bored.

It looks more like she has her hand on the back of her neck. To me it looks like she's deep in thought, trying to decide what to do next.

Beatrice The Golden

Postby Beatrice The Golden » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:08 am UTC

Wow. A genuine mystery to solve. I already like this strip.

So, here's what I assume about the story:
1) Story won't end with the "End Of The World." It's too predictable and wouldn't be too interesting.
2) Something WILL happen. Alt-text asks us to wait. In this case, not finishing the story would be trolling.
3) Something tragic will not happen. Because of the timing. It would work few hours ago, when everyone were still excited, but not now.
4) Something random will not happen UNLESS the strip will actually stretch to 1.IV. There would be no point for a raptor to smash the castle and scare away the pair before this date. Anyway, I personally wouldn't like a 1.IV ending and I don't think it will end like that.

So my guess is the strip is aiming for a deeper ending - it'll start building up to show something huge at the end, or just prepare the scene for some change in few last strips. As for the time - it very well may be months. I assume making next frame takes minute or two, starting from the previous one, so ten of them can be done in a short break. There might as well be two hundred ready and more to come.

Someone suggested before that the strips are being written on-the-flight and change depending on the discussion on the forum. I know damn well how mind-twisting idea it is, but the problem is - it wouldn't match the theme of the strip. It's "Time". The name suggests no relation to change influenced by the meta-world. I assume the story is already set in stone. This, of course, doesn't mean all strips are written for it. It's just that I think the end is already decided and won't change.

And I really think it's a long way before we learn it. There isn't much more we can do but sit back and watch it unfold.
It doesn't make guessing it any less fun.
Humans view problems differently depending on whether or not they are guaranteed to be solvable

Aubron

Postby Aubron » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:09 am UTC

Creator of xkcd.aubronwood.com, AKA The Book of Aubron.

Reddit Moderator, Web Developer. Male.

Zecrag

Postby Zecrag » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:11 am UTC

Rosewinsall wrote:
Zecrag wrote:
Chrisfs wrote:

pardon my french, but phloème toi (this was on principle). On the other hand, thanks for the lesson in grammar (and this is for actually writing a creative answer instead of just bashing at one's bad grammar). Those words are tricky. And yes, I've changed my swear words for words that I'm trying to learn. It has proven to be... Effective.

bouer

Postby bouer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:12 am UTC

411 posts in less than a day, and over 650 people reading the thread. Is this breaking any XKCD records?

Zecrag

Postby Zecrag » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:15 am UTC

Beatrice The Golden wrote:Wow. A genuine mystery to solve. I already like this strip.

1) Story won't end with the "End Of The World." It's too predictable and wouldn't be too interesting.
2) Something WILL happen. Alt-text asks us to wait. In this case, not finishing the story would be trolling.
3) Something tragic will not happen. Because of the timing. It would work few hours ago, when everyone were still excited, but not now.
4) Something random will not happen UNLESS the strip will actually stretch to 1.IV. There would be no point for a raptor to smash the castle and scare away the pair before this date. Anyway, I personally wouldn't like a 1.IV ending and I don't think it will end like that.

So my guess is the strip is aiming for a deeper ending - it'll start building up to show something huge at the end, or just prepare the scene for some change in few last strips. As for the time - it very well may be months. I assume making next frame takes minute or two, starting from the previous one, so ten of them can be done in a short break. There might as well be two hundred ready and more to come.

Someone suggested before that the strips are being written on-the-flight and change depending on the discussion on the forum. I know damn well how mind-twisting idea it is, but the problem is - it wouldn't match the theme of the strip. It's "Time". The name suggests no relation to change influenced by the meta-world. I assume the story is already set in stone. This, of course, doesn't mean all strips are written for it. It's just that I think the end is already decided and won't change.

And I really think it's a long way before we learn it. There isn't much more we can do but sit back and watch it unfold.
It doesn't make guessing it any less fun.

it would be amazingly fun for us if Randall ever did a meta-world influenced real-time comic (and I don't believe this one was made to be it) but it might as well become without going too far from the original theme. For even if the end is set on stone, there are infinite ways of getting to it :)

libra

Postby libra » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:16 am UTC

Everyone here's going to have to be vigilant and post each new frame as it comes, right up to the end. Us Brits aren't going to be able to keep monitoring the site much longer. Past our bedtimes.

Nighty night, everybody. Let me know how it ends, please.

Nicad

Postby Nicad » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:18 am UTC

bouer wrote:411 posts in less than a day, and over 650 people reading the thread. Is this breaking any XKCD records?

Well, I don't know about overall, but as far as the mind-bendingly huge ones go, yes. "Umwelt" only got to page 7 on the first day, and even "Click-and-Drag" only got to page 10. We're already on page 11.
Last edited by Nicad on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

arjan

Postby arjan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:18 am UTC

This is also the first comic ever to be reported about by major newspaper here http://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2013/03/25/een ... aan-duren/ Any media picking it up in the US?

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:20 am UTC

davedrowsy wrote:This also reminds me of the game Braid -- in order to get one of the secret puzzle pieces (I think that's what it was? It's been a while since I played Braid), you have to stand on a cloud that appears not to be moving at all, but in fact is actually moving extremely slowly, and if you wait long enough (hours and hours) the cloud will transport you across to an area that is otherwise unreachable.

IIRC it was about two hours
Spoiler:
to get one of the seven secret stars that allow you to see a different ending

And for those of you who haven't played Braid yet : go play it. Now. Very relevant to the subject of this comic anyway.

Same in France as in Britain, but I don't expect to see the end when I wake up, just a dozen more frames.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:24 am UTC

I think I'll just wait to the end and then find whoever has tracked the overall progression.

For me, I just opened it, and it started with them sitting down, then jumped straight to Sandcastle.

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:26 am UTC

I would not be surprised if it is a 48 hour comic that will not be finished until his next scheduled post on Wednesday.

I have enjoyed Waiting and watching today :D
Last edited by KroniK907 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Beatrice The Golden

Postby Beatrice The Golden » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:27 am UTC

Zecrag wrote: For even if the end is set on stone, there are infinite ways of getting to it :)

Exactly right.
Nicad wrote:Well, I don't know about overall, but as far as the mind-bendingly huge ones go, yes. "Umwelt" only got to page 7 on the first day, and even "Click-and-Drag" only got to page 10. We're already on page 11.

I think it's the mystery that keeps it so popular. It's not yet "that" great, but it still can be.

Give it time.
Humans view problems differently depending on whether or not they are guaranteed to be solvable

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:31 am UTC

my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

Forbidden 403

Postby Forbidden 403 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:33 am UTC

I woke up from my sleep with the following realisation, and had to post it immediately; though I had started watching this strip with gloomy/morbid thoughts there is only one possible indication that this post is giving.

Spoiler:
Randall is about to become a father. I think this is his way of sharing the news.

After the roller coaster ride of the past two years, they really waited for it and with time they got the happy news. Even the sandcastle would fit if now a small child's stick figure would join and play with the sandcastle.

What do you think people?

Am off back to sleep, hope to wake up and see how the comic ends, hopefully on a happy note such as what I guess
ERROR: Forbidden (403), Access Denied

zachbarnett

Postby zachbarnett » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:36 am UTC

Beatrice The Golden wrote:Wow. A genuine mystery to solve. I already like this strip.

4) Something random will not happen UNLESS the strip will actually stretch to 1.IV.

I agree with all of these conjectures. This is a good list.

I would add, in defense of (3), that the hovertext ("Wait for it.") just doesn't fit with a tragic comic. It's far too heavy-handed for Randall.

I think the April Fools' idea is a possibility, but I kind of hope that this isn't the case.

yangosplat
Location: Somewhere in the gray mass of clouds that is the Pacific Northwest

Postby yangosplat » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:41 am UTC

I probably (read: definitely) am looking way too far into this, but it looks like the last few images have been drawn in a thicker, less refined line style similar to that of xkcd's earlier days, like, say, comic #96 (nothing special, just the first one I found with that style from randomly clicking through the archive).

So that could mean either a) it's supposed to be some kind of nostalgic call-back to the past (which would make sense with what we see of the comic now) or b) he's only drawing these latest panels now (his strokes are going to be less accurate if he has to produce a new one every half hour). Or maybe it doesn't mean anything and I've overanalyzing it.

gcr

Postby gcr » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:42 am UTC

Was 407f7e8766a75cc25389b7852cd9be4f3f29994eeb5c35f0f7d5656e186d4331.png the first image? I downloaded it at 8:10MST.

i dot imgur dot com slash 3S0PKp1.png

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:42 am UTC

Forbidden 403 wrote:
Spoiler:
Randall is about to become a father. I think this is his way of sharing the news.

Well, call me childish, but that makes sense.
Spoiler:
"Megan" was laying on her back while the bald guy was "sticking" "his foot" in "the water". And then something was created. :)

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC

manvandmaan wrote:Really fascinating to see what all the different people make of it and how we all try to work together to unravel the mystery and try to 'beat' time :)

What a lovable interpretation of people trying to reverse-engineer the hashes to get future frames before we are allowed to see them. :D

I must admit: I can wait for the comic to complete (and watch the generated animation), but I can't keep myself from continuously reading about the advances within the community about the comic. I have to attend college in 7 hours and I should already be asleep, but the comments in this thread are too wonderful to ignore.

thevicente wrote:Stick figure drawings, by definition, dont transmit much information. Neither does low framerate videos (of what this is kind of).

Many forumers want to offer theories of what is being represented in the comic, but until time :roll: allows more information to come(since a change in the drawing style ins not exepcted), any hypothesis need to be heavy in assumptions -- and much probably wildly off. That theory offering seems not to be only a "want" but almost a "urge".

It's true the comic does not contain much information (yet), but it does induce a lot of entropy (within the community) which is an equally good thing.

Nicad

Postby Nicad » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:44 am UTC

Forbidden 403 wrote:I woke up from my sleep with the following realisation, and had to post it immediately; though I had started watching this strip with gloomy/morbid thoughts there is only one possible indication that this post is giving.

Spoiler:

After the roller coaster ride of the past two years, they really waited for it and with time they got the happy news. Even the sandcastle would fit if now a small child's stick figure would join and play with the sandcastle.

What do you think people?

Am off back to sleep, hope to wake up and see how the comic ends, hopefully on a happy note such as what I guess

Well, someone had mentioned that earlier, back when the guy was still milling around, but it seems even more likely now that they are making something together. At first, I also thought this strip seemed gloomy and ominous, but as time passed, and especially when they started building, I started to think it might not actually be as gloomy after all. IMHO, either you are right, or they leave and the castle gets washed away in a depressing metaphor for the passage of time.

On a side note, if it is an announcement of that sort, I think the first frame will truly be gone for good. It seems likely to me at least that if there is an announcement, it will stay up on the page after this... whatever we are calling it (A video, I guess?) ends.

arjan

Postby arjan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:47 am UTC

zachbarnett wrote:I would add, in defense of (3), that the hovertext ("Wait for it.") just doesn't fit with a tragic comic. It's far too heavy-handed for Randall.

"Wait for it" could also just mean: "this looks like a boring picture, but wait and something will happen" (even with that promise, this thread did start with some disappointment) But I agree it will probably not end because it's getting dark. (the movie we are watching is actually slower than real time).

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”