1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kethrook

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kethrook » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:56 am UTC

Did anybody have the foresight to screencap the earlier versions of the comic? I've only seen one where one is laying and the other standing and the current one with the man kneeling and the girl in the castle. I don't know how many there have been.

candybrie4zo

Postby candybrie4zo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:59 am UTC

Kethrook wrote:Did anybody have the foresight to screencap the earlier versions of the comic? I've only seen one where one is laying and the other standing and the current one with the man kneeling and the girl in the castle. I don't know how many there have been.

Here is the gif someone made which has most of the frames.

Primis wrote:Bumping the Gif

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:01 am UTC

Okay, now they're admiring the awesomeness they've created.

I'm thinkin' next they build a moat. With, like, alligators and stuff.

JordanTheProgrammer

Postby JordanTheProgrammer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:01 am UTC

JordanTheProgrammer

Postby JordanTheProgrammer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:04 am UTC

It's going to turn into a massive sand FORTRESS!! Called it :)

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:06 am UTC

Yet another theory:
Spoiler:
Randall is just trying to compensate for the recent late comics.

EDIT: I also wonder if there is a beach on Click-and-Drag.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

zerker2000

Postby zerker2000 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:07 am UTC

zk2556 wrote:
zk2556 wrote:If it's of interest to anybody, the tiny text at the bottom with his regular "The algorithm..." stuff has a new line of encrypted code at the top. Current line reads "BTC 14FHqYSgAi39CEJksUJJsK8JzJzyqFpLVk"

This hasn't updated since the last image. I'm not just noticing this, am I?

It's actually been around for a while.
GENERATION -705 - 991i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
ImageDragon Thingie! Image

Aubron

Postby Aubron » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:08 am UTC

Alright guys! Bit the bullet and went ahead and automated http://xkcd.aubronwood.com proper. Should update five after the hour and 35 after, with a double check at :15 and :45 in case of server hiccups.

Good night all, and thanks to everyone who's sent me feedback and thanks via my website.

PS: If it breaks, figure out what comic it was supposed to throw up there, and PM me the link for when I wake up and scold it.
Creator of xkcd.aubronwood.com, AKA The Book of Aubron.

Reddit Moderator, Web Developer. Male.

faunablues

Postby faunablues » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:09 am UTC

phlip wrote:I love how everyone is coming up with completely crazy theories from just two people sitting on a beach, and then building a sandcastle. Everything from the strip ending, to Randall is dying, to Randall's SO is dying, to they're expecting, to they've fucking miscarried...

Yeah it's all quite silly. Not just as a matter of voyeuristically speculating about the author's life, but because people are grasping at straws to squeeze personal meeting out of a comic of two people building a sandcastle.

Oh no, I know what it all means. You see a sandcastle is simultaneously a creation and a fortress built by these two people. Therefore it clearly represents Randall's home. And the water that has risen by three pixels is probably an ocean, a force of nature, which will inevitably rise and destroy the sandcastle. Guys, it is clear: Randall is telling us his house has been destroyed in a flood. Or maybe broken into. Or both.
Or maybe, since the ocean is a force of nature but often a metaphor for a maternal life source, it represents his mother. I've got it figured out. His mother has destroyed his house. And also disapproves of his girlfriend.
Brilliant work, Randall. It totally makes sense that you would communicate this slowly through a cryptic comic for a handful of us to decipher, instead of stating major life news in a straightforward way as usual.

TheNerdMeister

Postby TheNerdMeister » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:09 am UTC

phlip wrote:I love how everyone is coming up with completely crazy theories from just two people sitting on a beach, and then building a sandcastle...Of course, this is the same crowd that takes every event in the comics that's at all romantic or contemplative and assumes it's based on Randall's life. And then often accuses Randall of not being creative enough, or abusing his real-life situation for comics/traffic, or suchlike...AFAIK Randall has never said what his SO's name is... he keeps his personal life pretty private. Which is entirely his prerogative.

Randall is a real person, remember. Not just some character. And so's his SO. Even if they rarely visits the forums and probably won't see it, it's stil fucking creepy to be making with the endless speculation and fanon-theories and fan-fiction stories about real people.

Sheesh... Here's they party-pooper. No one (Hopefully) is truly saying that these theories are true. Like I said, people have fun guessing at hidden meaning, it's why poets exist.

And what of the coders who are trying to figure out what the future pictures will be based on code? Are they not as bad as the poetry-analysts doing the same thing with meaning?

Leave the Poetry-fans to their speculation of meaning and the Coding-fans to their speculation of code.

goldenegg

Postby goldenegg » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:10 am UTC

Wow ... so many theories in here, which are all extremely reaching.

It reminds me of a film class I sat in on, back in my university days. The class was given the task of shooting 5 minutes of video. It could be absolutely anything they wanted. My friend, who was in the class, left the assignment to the last minute and ended up filming an escalator at a mall for 5min. When he finished showing the video in the class, people started spewing the craziest theories as to what the video meant. "It was a reflection of life, how we get on at one place and off at another" "The child stepping on the escalator after the old man showed the circle of life" etc ....

In regards to this strip, I'm pretty much expecting the tide to come in. This couple spent all this time building something, which is about to simply be swept away with the passage of time. I highly doubt there's anything more deep to it than that.

JordanTheProgrammer

Postby JordanTheProgrammer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:11 am UTC

Has anyone noticed how Randal is being conservative with the sand. I think they will use all the sand on screen to make a massive sand castle.

TheNerdMeister

Postby TheNerdMeister » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:13 am UTC

faunablues wrote:
phlip wrote:I love how everyone is coming up with completely crazy theories from just two people sitting on a beach, and then building a sandcastle. Everything from the strip ending, to Randall is dying, to Randall's SO is dying, to they're expecting, to they've fucking miscarried...

Yeah it's all quite silly. Not just as a matter of voyeuristically speculating about the author's life, but because people are grasping at straws to squeeze personal meeting out of a comic of two people building a sandcastle.

Oh no, I know what it all means. You see a sandcastle is simultaneously a creation and a fortress built by these two people. Therefore it clearly represents Randall's home. And the water that has risen by three pixels is probably an ocean, a force of nature, which will inevitably rise and destroy the sandcastle. Guys, it is clear: Randall is telling us his house has been destroyed in a flood. Or maybe broken into. Or both.
Or maybe, since the ocean is a force of nature but often a metaphor for a maternal life source, it represents his mother. I've got it figured out. His mother has destroyed his house. And also disapproves of his girlfriend.
Brilliant work, Randall. It totally makes sense that you would communicate this slowly through a cryptic comic for a handful of us to decipher, instead of stating major life news in a straightforward way as usual.

Be careful with sarcasm on the internet, it cannot be as easily interpreted as in real-life, genius.

xyzzyzzyzx

Postby xyzzyzzyzx » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:13 am UTC

hi! I'm just another one of the many people who registered to say how amazing this comic is. I've been following it diligently for the past few hours while attempting to do schoolwork. I'm not trying to find any meaning- I'm easily entertained I guess, because a couple very slowly building a sandcastle is enough for me. I squeaked when the mounds they were making first started turning into a little sand fortress (I got here when they had already built the first tower). I really hope they keep expanding it into a sand empire or something, but whatever happens, this comic has definitely made my night better. :)

mexaboy

Postby mexaboy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:13 am UTC

The water has not risen, as I said before.

candybrie4zo

Postby candybrie4zo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:16 am UTC

TheNerdMeister wrote:
faunablues wrote:

Be careful with sarcasm on the internet, it cannot be as easily interpreted as in real-life, genius.

Your sarcasm was much more subtle than theirs.

BHSPitMonkey

Postby BHSPitMonkey » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:18 am UTC

I've set up a viewer with a slider thingy you can use to scrub forward and backward through the images here (append to reddit's base URL):

/r/xkcd/comments/1b0njp/another_way_of_browsing_through_the_images_from/

I'm currently working on adding the last few images and setting up a cron job to add new ones to the list as they come out.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:20 am UTC

I never read his blog and had assumed he announced the cancer there first, my mistake. But that still doesn't make it any less creepy to suddenly speculate about a miscarriage when there's actually nothing to suggest it.

mattmo10587

Postby mattmo10587 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:21 am UTC

And then the tide will come and wash away the castle, etc.

Unless they're at a lake and not an ocean.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:31 am UTC

Is it over?
a790d74849afdba2bc7f1781ea6fca9fb62b57d46912b14c40d777843d493f1f.png
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:31 am UTC

What!? I was not expecting such a twist.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

zk2556

Postby zk2556 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:31 am UTC

I do believe we are being screwed with.

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:31 am UTC

I dunno about "creepy", but it is getting into the territory of #799 - reading way too much into what's basically an innocuous reference. I mean, sometimes artists just have an idea that looks pretty, without it needed to stand for some kind of tangible trauma or joy.

Sometimes a sand castle really is just a sand castle...

JordanTheProgrammer

Postby JordanTheProgrammer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:32 am UTC

Wait for it.

mishka

Postby mishka » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:34 am UTC

It ended with "later, bye"

I bet in an hour the tides will wash it away.
In any case, we've been trolled.

candybrie4zo

Postby candybrie4zo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:35 am UTC

I kind of hope its not over. It was definitely a fun experience if it is. I loved reading about people trying to figure out it worked and if they could crack the code. And other people getting frustrated with them because they couldn't just watch. It's a good thing he made it basically impossible in the amount of time haha. I liked having a reason to check back every half hour. But I'd kind of like it to keep going.

I guess we have to wait and see.

Assassine

Postby Assassine » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:35 am UTC

Inb4 divorce speculations.

Seriously though, this was unexpected.

Exkakx

Postby Exkakx » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:36 am UTC

Wow. I wonder if it will keep going.
I'm too awesome for a signature...

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:37 am UTC

Now shall that be all? Or will more come along?

HagarTopeka1

Postby HagarTopeka1 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:41 am UTC

Holy cow, I think you called it.

alexthesoso wrote:id say
Spoiler:
they leave, another couple comes, smashes the castle, and lays down. Repeat.

edit: Nevermind; I forgot that it updates at midnight EST. I was really hoping for a loop.
Last edited by HagarTopeka1 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Exkakx

Postby Exkakx » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:42 am UTC

If that's the end, the comic will look quite strange to anyone who didn't see it earlier.
I'm too awesome for a signature...

Postby *** » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:42 am UTC

They spent way too long on that fuckin sandcastle
Belief and Seeing: They're both often Wrong.

Assassine

Postby Assassine » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:43 am UTC

I intended to go to sleep after this panel, but now i just cant without seeing if theres another.
This already kept me awake for way too long. Love it.

Randall

Postby Randall » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:50 am UTC

Tomorrow's what if xkcd: how many forum posts can be accumulated by posting a well encrypted and suspenseful comic

Assassine

Postby Assassine » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:00 am UTC

next ones up

/comics/time/427f9bc8bd184356928562515d420ad9e96a1189043c812c4ba8e1bbb6080ffa.png

she looks sad

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:00 am UTC

Not over yet!

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:03 am UTC

I'd say it looks like she's looking at that corner that fell off & was fixed, rather than just looking downward sadly.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Randall

Postby Randall » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:06 am UTC

Tomorrow's what if xkcd: how many posts can be accumulated by a well encrypted and suspenseful comic

crawlkill

Postby crawlkill » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:06 am UTC

phlip wrote:Of course, this is the same crowd that takes every event in the comics that's at all romantic or contemplative and assumes it's based on Randall's life.

I don't know what the culture of this board is like, but he has made, like, a dozen fucking comics about the whole breast cancer thing, and clearly often writes from shit going on in his own head. It's not unreasonable to see a slow-reveal understated comic bubbling with impermanence imagery as something personal.

Reading specific events into it is a little weird, but taking it seriously as something heartfelt is entirely in the spirit of xkcd generally. Do you go back and look at http://xkcd.com/170/ and say 'oh, it's just a couple people in a Seuss landscape?' Or do you think about where its author was and had been to create something like that?

M.B.Giles

Postby M.B.Giles » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:17 am UTC

This is the most amazing thing. *is late to the party*

I agree, I don't think it's wrong to assume some of the comics are related to Randall's life. This could be one of them. We won't know for sure until the end of it. Every author inserts some amount of themselves into their work. It's our interpretations that will differ... For example, this could all be an evil social experiment about patience.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”