1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

secchimribeiro

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby secchimribeiro » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:58 am UTC

:twisted: Man, I slept for like, 6 hours, and haven't seen toooooo much change at all... But waking up with a "Massive Multiplayer Online Nerd Sniping" joke was awesome!!

NotThatHatGuy

Postby NotThatHatGuy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:31 am UTC

Beatrice The Golden wrote:
NotThatHatGuy wrote:Of course, this being xkcd, he might simply have departed uphill to construct the launch ramp for whatever unlikely vehicle will imminently jump the castle and land on the ramp she is now constructing.

Good call... but he wouldn't say "bye" in this case.

He said "later"...

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:32 am UTC

Oooooh I wish I knew what was going on right now. This is making me RAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

MMONS at it's greatest. Really. I can't quit this!!

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:34 am UTC

This is clearly an elaborate setup meant to mislead us into thinking they are on the beach. Any moment now, the shot will widen revealing a children's playground (possibly with a puddle) and a laid-back PSY singing "oppan gangnam style"...

daef

Postby daef » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:40 am UTC

yay - the one time i don't see the comic the moment it appears
and i'm all like "nah - will see tomorrow...": THIS happens...

now i've got to click through the archive in here :/

damn me ^_^

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:43 am UTC

daef wrote:yay - the one time i don't see the comic the moment it appears

damn me ^_^

Yep, most definitely what happened to me. I think that had I seen it yesterday morning I'd have been willing to debug through that strange JS code to see what it's doing.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

sparehead3

Postby sparehead3 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:45 am UTC

I just hope the link at the bottom ending in ".../time.jpg" changes to ".../time.gif" Wednesday morning.

I can understand a 2-day animation updating every half hour between Mon -> Wed and Wed -> Fri, but after the weekend it would be out of sync.

Unless it's a 7-day animation and we're in for the long haul...

chairman

Postby chairman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:46 am UTC

I haven't really seen a complete list of images or an automatically updated .gif. Philip on page 2 maintains a list, but that is rather tedious...

I have the complete collection of images, and an automated gif. I would link and embed for you, but this is my first post :(

gif: dl.dropbox(dot)com/u/9818122/xkcd_time/xkcd_time.gif
This is a complete sequence with all images so far, automatically updated when new images become available

individual images: dl.dropbox(dot)com/u/9818122/xkcd_time/ordered/XXX.png
replace XXX with a number, e.g. 000 or 057. The number ranges from 000 to current_count (see below). These are ordered in the sequence that has appeared over time.

current_count: dl.dropbox(dot)com/u/9818122/xkcd_time/current_count
the count does not include 000, so the total number of images is current_count+1

server filenames: dl.dropbox(dot)com/u/9818122/xkcd_time/png_list.txt
first column = count; second column = time in EDT; third column is the server filename.

Folks with posts on the first few pages, feel free to include/embed the gif link (and/or others) to your post. I won't get much exposure here, I don't much care for that, but people deserve to see the movie (so far) in its entirety!

Degeim

Postby Degeim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:48 am UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:

damn me ^_^

Yep, most definitely what happened to me. I think that had I seen it yesterday morning I'd have been willing to debug through that strange JS code to see what it's doing.

The "strange JS code" has been explained several times already; it is simply a way of lessening the server load (by automatically updating the image, instead of making people refresh all the time). It is "strange" because it is minified, also to lessen the server load (no need to download easy-to-read code when the web browser understands it just as well with single letter variables and function names).

Sjö

Postby Sjö » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:49 am UTC

This thread reminds me of Gibson's Pattern Recognition where groups discuss the meaning of anonymously uploaded film clips, and try to track the origin of those clips. And mean that in a good way; I'm impressed by the collective intelligence shown in this forum.

Spoiler:
My guess is that the comic is a comment about how we often rush through things without savouring the moment and enjoying the anticipation. Look at how we all (yes, me too) are eagerly looking forward to the next "instalment" in this comic. Would we enjoy it as much if it was presented as an animated gif and played to the end in a few seconds?
We barely understand anything but that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.

TessC

Postby TessC » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:51 am UTC

Sjö wrote:This thread reminds me of Gibson's Pattern Recognition where groups discuss the meaning of anonymously uploaded film clips, and try to track the origin of those clips. And mean that in a good way; I'm impressed by the collective intelligence shown in this forum.

Spoiler:
My guess is that the comic is a comment about how we often rush through things without savouring the moment and enjoying the anticipation. Look at how we all (yes, me too) are eagerly looking forward to the next "instalment" in this comic. Would we enjoy it as much if it was presented as an animated gif and played to the end in a few seconds?

Yeah, watching the animated gif of the images studying them for clues about what was going to happen definitely reminded me of Pattern Recognition.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:54 am UTC

Benjamin-B wrote:Converting your units from "pictures per day" to "minutes of animation per ten months" doesn't change the reality that it would be a lot of work. Even with stick figures on a background that changes only a little bit each time, drawing a picture at presentation quality would still take at least a few minutes, not including the time it takes to plan out future drawings. If we assume that he only takes 1.5 minutes to draw and upload each ensuing picture (a really low estimate), and that a new picture is needed every 30 minutes, then he'd be working on it 72 minutes a day on average, or 5 percent of his total time. If he did it in 8-hour marathons, it would take 45 of those marathons to get 10 months of pictures done. It's not impossible, but I don't think he would devote that much time to one installment of his comic for the rest of his life.

EDIT: I haven't read all the comments, but has anyone considered the possibility that this is all leading up to an April Fools' Day conclusion?

I know it's still a lot of work but I'm just saying it's not something unusual for animations. And drawing new pose for a stick figure he's been practicing for years would take maybe 10 seconds in my opinion. Yes, 7 years is probably too long but few months is quite possible.

Also - I would never believe it could run for months if I haven't seen #1110.

Of course, you may be right and it could end on April Fools' Day as many people has suggested. I even agree that this is very probable scenario (along with that 2-days-until-next-comic scenario).
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

daef

Postby daef » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:55 am UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:

damn me ^_^

i was like:
* interestin' title... *clicks_rss_link*
* page loads, think hmm... "1190" - nice number
* see image - be a bit disappointed - "what's that?!?"
* see mouseover - think "ahh - might be a gif"
* right-click, show image, says .png
* view image-info, see it's really a png
* check source, see .js
* view .js, see it's minified (as the .min.js already suggested)
* thought - nah - not today...
* observed ajax-calls w/ firebug - see hashes
* _now_ i opened up forums...
* see archive
* open all images, see through...
* looks like a nice animation...
* now i'm held here - waiting for more...

i feel the urge to fasten things up...
...has anyone here already _seriously_ tried to break the hashes?
probably "just" a timestamp (unix, iso8601 like /1179/ suggests...) and some salt (wait,for,it,time,xkcd,randall,....)

i don't remember the name of the tool used to generate dictionaries
based on algorithm (different timestamps) and salt (keywords)

afterwards one would have to throw that dict against a ?sha512? or even blake (sha3) binary
(e.g. hashcat)

pvdp

Postby pvdp » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:56 am UTC

It looks so much more like grass now. Or dunes, maybe. Less like another castle at least.

Claveluza

Postby Claveluza » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:58 am UTC

Is anyone else concerned at the fact that half-hours go by so quickly? I mean, I can measure my life in half-hours and they seem so ephimeral; reminds me of the Fight Club quote, "this is your life and it's ending one minute at a time". Also, this comic is making us wait to see developments, which is awfully close to real life interactions with stuff (which is kinda cool and very very meta). Furthermore, I am quite amazed at how everyone is trying to figure out some meaning behind it all when maybe, and quite possibly, it's just a pretty comic (much like real life, again), (though by being art it carries meaning just for existing).

Am I making any sense? Whatever, I'm really enjoying this experience.

(And to the people making unhappy predictions, if/when the comic ends and if/when it does it terribly, you can rightly say "I told you so" all you want; but for now, shut up! you're depressing everyone).

curtis95112

Postby curtis95112 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:03 pm UTC

dalcde wrote:
TemporaryLife wrote:Just a side note: Is this the largest comic thread this forum has seen? I went and looked to see how big Click And Drag was, but the comment number for that has already been outdone.

It's kinda interesting to read people watching this unfold. Maybe there is no real end game, and it's a tiny social experiment, in which Randall Munroe watches to see how people react to incredibly minor changes in things, when they believe there is a substantial outcome at the end of those changes?

I would be okay with that.

Sort by "replies" on forum page. Time comes eigth with 678 replies (at this moment). "Pickup Artist"'s got 2030. So good luck :)

EDIT: "Pickup Artist" had a flame war going on as far as I know (I didn't read through all 2030 posts :). Locked now.

The "Pressures" thread was legendary.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:
Роберт wrote:Sure, but at least they hit the intended target that time.

Well, if you shoot enough people, you're bound to get the right one eventually.

Thats the best description of the USA ever.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:09 pm UTC

The skyline looks somewhat familiar. Can't help it.

Arlo James Barnes

Postby Arlo James Barnes » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:13 pm UTC

Re: Names - Since we have not seen a Megan-like character called anything other than Megan, we can assume that is this character's name until a contraindication appears. However, I don't believe this holds for 'plain' (bald?) characters, as we have seen multiple people that look the same because of their lack of ornamentation, from author surrogates (See 'Substitute Teacher') to characters that are clearly not Mr. Munroe. Even if the 'plain' appearance was unique to a single character, would that character really want the nickname 'Cueball'? :P

TemporaryLife

Postby TemporaryLife » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:21 pm UTC

Everyone seems to have a lot to say about the DHM (Deeper Hidden Meaning) behind this comic. I've been reading xkcd for quite some time now, and in my memory, Randall has never really been big on symbolism and hidden meanings in things. He's always been really outright about everything, even when he makes dark and sad strips - "Lanes" immediately comes to mind, which is an incredibly bleak strip about how cancer may go into remission but you're still never completely out of the woods, but it's still very xkcd-like, and deals with probability rates.

I dunno, I just feel like looking at the sand castle as a metaphor might be... not so much his style? Or have I just been missing things along the way?
Last edited by TemporaryLife on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

kaley

Postby kaley » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

I think we're looking at sand castles because they're awesome.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

Suddenly I have a vision of last weekend at Chez Munroe:

"Megan": Why don't we spend all day at the beach and build a really awesome sandcastle?
Randall: Great idea!
Some hours later
M (holding a shovel): Honey, are you still messing around with that webcomic?

Carteeg_Struve

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:31 pm UTC

kaley wrote:I think we're looking at sand castles because they're awesome.

But isn't everything we build technically sand castles... in their own way?

Okay, I'm done sounding like a philosophical douche now. for now.

Update: corrected.

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

Carteeg_Struve wrote:
kaley wrote:I think we're looking at sand castles because they're awesome.

But isn't everything we build technically sand castles... in their own way?

Okay, I'm done sounding like a philosophical douche now. for now.

Update: corrected.

Haha, I saw that just before and after my nth refresh. I lol'd

daef

Postby daef » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

iisjreg wrote:Haha, I saw that just before and after my nth refresh. I lol'd

i always intended to blame 4chan when my F5-key breaks. but now i guess it's that thread here too... :)

good thing is that my daskeyboard's blue cherry-switches should be able to handle a few hits...

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

Hey, philosophers: you know what's fun to play with on a beach? Super Soakers.

It would still be cool if they were making sand castles inside a giant hourglass though. And then it got flip-turned upside down.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

daef

Postby daef » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

apropos playing with expectations...:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

0x6a756e67207162204c424820726b637270673f20756767633a2f2f636e6667726f76612e70627a2f7034457053574769
//i can haz expectations?

Blake

Postby Blake » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

Primis wrote:Live updating GIF:
Feel free to give me an internet for the service :D

Just brining the gif back into the most recent page.

neoqix

Postby neoqix » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

Hey, I just signed up (but following xkcd for quite some time now) and have been lurking this thread since yesterday. Just wanted to add for now that there is a similar setting in the comic #1110 (Click and Drag): imgs dot xkcd dot com slash clickdrag slash 1n4w dot png (very strict spamfilter in here!). I think these are kids instead of adults, but the sandcastle it pretty similar (2 towers).

I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I have read about 90% of all the posts in this thread and can't remember anyone mentioning this.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

I am bored with sandcastles and demand my Tuesday "What-if" fix.

Where does one apply for a refund?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

ugmhemhe

Postby ugmhemhe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

Claveluza wrote:
(And to the people making unhappy predictions, if/when the comic ends and if/when it does it terribly, you can rightly say "I told you so" all you want; but for now, shut up! you're depressing everyone).

yeah! i agree hahahah

sparehead3

Postby sparehead3 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

Argh! I missed the 8am image driving into work... and Phlip's updates on page 2 stops at 7am at the moment.

Can someone post the 8am image please?

ugmhemhe

Postby ugmhemhe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

Hypothesis: It's not sand. It's cornstarch.
Razzle Storm wrote:Used to be Christian, then I read the Bible.

sparehead3

Postby sparehead3 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

ugmhemhe wrote:Image

That's the 9am Eastern Time image.

My links are getting filtered as spam, but I believe the files are:

7:00 am - (62) ff12649ab08e48655885fa89536cc034155a9bd4ac9af77775a31565ee232461.png
7:30 am - (63) 297347fd8b2fd37f4df96388ce5f9ead1a89571887b721c087132ba1007cbb7d.png
8:00 am - (64)
8:30 am - (65) a97951338dba988c7362713b946b90b9375fe947500a4a76ba1da7205491b55f.png
9:00 am - (66) 261a4c70a112b18d15211cad535fcd3c6c3f16f58a50e99b6ff30dfbf79bd24d.png

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

No doubt this comic is setting some new records for repeated or continual viewing ... but I'm wondering - is this discussion thread also breaking new ground? I don't recall any comic that inspired so much continual discussion - and for obvious reasons, as the comic continues to evolve.

Dark Avorian

Postby Dark Avorian » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

Some comic threads have had discussions this long, mainly because some huge argument broke out. The old legend: Pressures, was fucking huge because someone decided to try and challenge relativity.
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.

meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

No doubt this thread is at least the 8th longest, but I'm wondering, has any other thread had so many people asking (and answering) whether it's the longest?
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

This thread is just begging for Keanu Reeves and Philosoraptor memes.

daef

Postby daef » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

daef wrote:apropos playing with expectations...:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

0x6a756e67207162204c424820726b637270673f20756767633a2f2f636e6667726f76612e70627a2f7034457053574769
//i can haz expectations?

srsly - nobody?

cantab314

Postby cantab314 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

Murphy's law, the Monday I miss checking xkcd is the Monday Randall comes up with something like this.

Anyway, it looks to me like she's trying to build a sea wall to stop the tide washing away their sandcastle.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”