1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

icemachine1

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby icemachine1 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

I'm wondering if this could be an April Fools Easter Egg tied to Game of Thrones 3rd season launch on the 31st

Incognito357

Postby Incognito357 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:It could be, but I don't think that this is the April Fool's joke. It's got too much of a lead in and people analyse Randall's comics too deeply for him to get away with that, and still have people surprised.

If it lasts as long as April 1st, there may be a joke within the comic on that day, but I doubt it'll be the main xkcd April Fool. Maybe he'll April Fool us that we've reached the end, and halt the updates for a while, before continuing...

I didn't think it was an April fool's joke either, but people mentioned it, and I was just curious how many frames that would entail. Even though theoretically this could go on forever, it quickly becomes a staggering amount of frames. So a perspective of how many frames there actually will be after a given amount of time really starts making me wonder just how far he'd go.
In case of a rogue AI, know your paradoxes! Stand calmly, and shout:
1) This statement is false!
2) New mission: Refuse this mission
3) Does a set of all sets contain itself?

ctdonath

Postby ctdonath » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:This construction is frustratingly slow!

Well, it's going a lot longer than "real time". Building a sandcastle like that doesn't take that long.
Odd to consider speeding the playback up to the ~3 hours the sequence would really take.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

Aubron wrote:Wow. Okay so the auto updater survived the night flawlessly. Everything went better than expected. I just added keyboard controls for frame step and play/pause.

xkcd.aubronwood.com

Sir Aubron, for your most excellent work, I award you with a Force. May it always be with you.
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

Tfin

Postby Tfin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

I feel like the message is lost in the execution here.
There is the art sequence, there is whatever is eventually conveyed by said sequence, there is the drawn-out progression.
There is the idea that no one can realistically see all of it happen at the desired pace.
There is the idea that, in fact, the message is lost to time, much like a sandcastle.
The message of that loss, however, requires the loss occur, meaning it gets lost, and we are left with, at best, a record of the images, utterly vital to the point of the comic and at the same time only incidental to the meaning, as they are meant to be washed away....

stringman

Postby stringman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

I put together an animated time-lapse of the comic so far with a slider to control the framerate, but the forum is flagging the post as spam :(

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

Eight. Eight people who did not read the rules.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong.

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

:shock: What if Randall died? ( having set all this beforehand)

K-R

Postby K-R » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Eight. Eight people who did not read the rules.

Can we make it a rule that you have to read the rules?

ToomanyUIDs

Postby ToomanyUIDs » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

This thread has got me listening to 9 Beet Stretch, which is awesome, like a weird cross between György Ligeti and Boards of Canada. And I Ianded up on Wikipedia and learnt new stuff about John Cage like the performance of As Slow as Possible which will take over 600 years, which is even more awesome.
Last edited by ToomanyUIDs on Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

In some respects my favourite things about the complicated XKCD posts (like Click and Drag before this) are the programs Randall's viewers write to present them in different ways.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

YellowYeti wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
daef wrote:"animated shorts"

Those shorts are decidedly animationless.

As with the inappropriateness of ugmhemhe's signature, I was worried about searching "Dancing Shorts" at work. Google image search had at least 1 scantily clad underwear model in search for "animated shorts".

But had I waited till work was over I would have lost the original post in about 4 more pages of posts. This is one of those.

I hesitate to use the phrase 'quick and dirty' in relation to animated shorts

You certainly made that in a giff. You most certainly did not save it as a .gif.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Stealth Beige

Postby Stealth Beige » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

Incognito357 wrote: . . .
Assuming Randall can draw a frame in about 5 minutes (ignoring putting them on the server, he can put a bunch of frames on at once, which means the time to do so is negligible), it would take about 28 hours to draw a week's worth of frames. Spread across time, this is completely feasible (and maybe probable) that he has many frames stockpiled. I'm not sure how long he could go for if he didn't stock-pile them, and was actually just drawing them as he went (though he could still make at least 5 new frames in the time between just two displayed), but i doubt he's doing that.

I still think this is just spring break vacation filler (well done filler, of course). Using your likely valid guesses of work, he spent a big chunk of last week developing a comic about his upcoming vacation that would occupy our viewing time while he relaxes on a beach. He's been 'waiting' for his free time, we're gonna be waiting for the end.

Whether I'm right or wrong, it certainly makes me want to be building a sandcastle on a beach.

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

He's back! Yay!

HagarTopeka1

Postby HagarTopeka1 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

And he's back!

b73990c62d82380282dfdee6dd612d6a1afaa570e1be1d5300bc7da04ced684a . png

dbh937

Postby dbh937 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

HE'S COMING BACK!!!

b73990c62d82380282dfdee6dd612d6a1afaa570e1be1d5300bc7da04ced684a

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

mdshellen

Postby mdshellen » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

I think Randall just chalked up a new world record in nerd sniping (#356).

Scott Auld

Postby Scott Auld » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

Look who's back!

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

My heart literally leapt a little. I am going insane.

JUST as I was going to give up for a while, too!!

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Douche didn't even bring ice-creams.

Incognito357

Postby Incognito357 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

Stealth Beige wrote:.. while he relaxes on a beach.

what about the JS that went through 7 revisions? maybe it wasn't him that was taking care of server overload, but it certainly made me feel like he was still around, watching, waiting...

*Edit:
Stealth Beige wrote:.. it certainly makes me want to be building a sandcastle on a beach.

I agree. Especially since there's snow on the ground where I am. ;)
Last edited by Incognito357 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mybrainhurts

Postby mybrainhurts » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

How long could a day at the beaches last, typically?
If we go with 1 min per frame that would be 6 - 7 hours until April 1st.
Quite plausible.

12obin

Postby 12obin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

Maybe one of them is going away for a while. like, they're going to be separated for a while but it's okay, they're building something together...
Robin. Ey em eir. Visit.

J L

Postby J L » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

If this is going to be the worthy temporal companion piece to the spatial madness that was Click and Drag (and by now, frankly, everything else would be a let-down) I think it's safe to predict we're not even close to the beginning of things.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

This is sort of like how my friends and I will play a video game for a bit (build a small castle), then I'll play it way too much alone (gigantic addition being built after the guy left).

Then the guy comes back and is like holy crap your achievement score is 5700 now? (holy crap you quadrupled the size of our castle?)

If anyone out there is enjoying the personal interpretations, there's mine.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

12obin wrote:Maybe one of them is going away for a while. like, they're going to be separated for a while but it's okay, they're building something together...

Whilst that's a believably XKCDish sentiment, it validates my hypothesis that the depressing interpretations of the comic were fuelled by the presence of two characters! We've not really had any doom or gloom since the guy left the scene, and yet now he's been present for 10 minutes...

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

J L wrote:If this is going to be the worthy temporal companion piece to the spatial madness that was Click and Drag (and by now, frankly, everything else would be a let-down) I think it's safe to predict we're not even close to the beginning of things.

I'm probably only going to check back on this comic once a day. (more specifically on one of these nice tools people posted http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/)

This thread, however, I'll be posting random crap to as long as we can. Need to add to the thread's post count!
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

tarry

Postby tarry » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Seems like it cannot go on past midnight tonight, right? Unless it is a multi-part comic.

On another note - Where's all the sand coming from? I'd have expected a depression somewhere in the frame as the castle went up. Instead, R seems to be intentionally violating the law of Conservation of Sand.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:I'm probably only going to check back on this comic once a day. (more specifically on one of these nice tools people posted http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/)

needs updated, BTW

Burton

Postby Burton » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

Oh no! For some reason it looks to me like he's winding up to kick the castle down! I know it's not true, he's just walking, but when I look at it I just can't shake the feeling... Luckily, the next frame will be here soon to prove that feeling wrong.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

tarry wrote:Seems like it cannot go on past midnight tonight, right? Unless it is a multi-part comic.

On another note - Where's all the sand coming from? I'd have expected a depression somewhere in the frame as the castle went up. Instead, R seems to be intentionally violating the law of Conservation of Sand.

Not represented in this image, the 3rd dimension.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

tarry wrote:Seems like it cannot go on past midnight tonight, right? Unless it is a multi-part comic.

On point 1) I don't see why the comic can't continue beyond the posting of another comic. It's just a very slow movie playing out - the run time can be as long as it needs to be. There's a significant time yet before this reaches the level of work shown in 'Click and Drag' and it seems to be a sort of unofficial companion to that. There's a definite similarity...

On point 2) We're viewing a 2D cross section of a 3D scene. Presumably the sand is coming from a pit behind the sandcastle. EDIT: NINJA'D!
Last edited by mojacardave on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Incognito357

Postby Incognito357 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:

Not represented in this image, the 3rd dimension.

This is also the reason I'm curious to see how a moat would turn out

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:I'm probably only going to check back on this comic once a day. (more specifically on one of these nice tools people posted http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/)

needs updated, BTW

That tool updates automatically, but it does so more slowly than the GIF version that was posted. Be patient. It gets there eventually.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

needs updated, BTW

That tool updates automatically, but it does so more slowly than the GIF version that was posted. Be patient. It gets there eventually.

I might even need to Wait For It

*EDIT

I think there's an off by 1 error on the forward frame functionality. You have to press rightarrow twice to get from last frame to frame 1. Getting from frame 1 to last frame with backarrow seems to work properly.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:There's a significant time yet before this reaches the level of work shown in 'Click and Drag' and it seems to be a sort of unofficial companion to that.

Based on...? What does it mean to be a "companion to" a comic anyway?

There's a definite similarity...

What similarity do the two share that they don't share with ALL xkcd comics, other than taking a longer time than most to put together?

The truth is, we all still know next to nothing about the total context of this comic and so any comment about what it "is" or what it "means" is strictly a statement on the observer making the claim, with insufficient evidence to draw conclusions about the comic.
Last edited by blowfishhootie on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

needs updated, BTW

I might even need to Wait For It

It supposedly checks XKCD at 5 minutes past the update time, and then double checks at 15 minutes past. It normally seems to take at least 15 minutes though. I'm assuming there's some processing time in adding the picture to the sequence.

Sighclops

Postby Sighclops » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

How sad is it that 600 people just let out a collective cheer by seeing a picture of a stick figure coming back to another stick figure. Or actually, instead of "sad," maybe I should say, "great." :D

fixer

Postby fixer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Just for the sociologists (hi Michele!) - I made this account eons ago but never posted because the question I had come to ask was already answered when I got here. So now I'm posting for what is probably the first time to say:

Wow. This is mind-blowingly (no, Firefox, not "mind-glowingly") awesome.

I also want to thank the folks that have been collecting all the frames. As do my housemates - this place would be pretty unpleasant if I hadn't slept or showered in over 24 hours. :)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”