1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Scott Auld

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Scott Auld » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
mojacardave wrote:There's a significant time yet before this reaches the level of work shown in 'Click and Drag' and it seems to be a sort of unofficial companion to that.

Based on...? What does it mean to be a "companion to" a comic anyway?

There's a definite similarity...

What similarity do the two share that they don't share with ALL xkcd comics, other than taking a longer time than most to put together?

The truth is, we all still know next to nothing about the total context of this comic and so any comment about what it "is" or what it "means" is strictly a statement on the observer making the claim, with insufficient evidence to draw conclusions about the comic.

I see what you mean, but in terms of general feel, at least so far, it seems to evoke the scale of Click and Drag, but stretched over time rather than space. It's pretty unlike the comics around it - it's just a pleasant scene extended to a ridiculous degree. I've no idea what's coming up, but I think I'd be surprised if the scene ended tonight.

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

Is he... is he- standing- on the sand caste? That's quality engineering, right there... :shock:

tarry

Postby tarry » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

tarry wrote:Where's all the sand coming from? I'd have expected a depression somewhere in the frame as the castle went up. Instead, R seems to be intentionally violating the law of Conservation of Sand.

mojacardave wrote:We're viewing a 2D cross section of a 3D scene. Presumably the sand is coming from a pit behind the sandcastle. Edit: Ninja'd

OK, I see you both (the ninja'r, too), and raise you a dimension:

"We're viewing a 2D cross section of a 4D scene. Presumably the sand is coming from a depression that was dug many frames in the future -- we'll see it appear in a few days."

TheBauhausCure

Postby TheBauhausCure » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:33 pm UTC

stringman wrote:I put together an animated time-lapse of the comic so far with a slider to control the framerate, but the forum is flagging the post as spam :(

According to the rules, you must have a minimum of 5 posts in order to post a link.

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:33 pm UTC

Blake wrote:
Primis wrote:Live updating GIF:
Feel free to give me an internet for the service :D

Just brining the gif back into the most recent page.

Moar bumpination for gif.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

Wow, just saw it update live right before my eyes at 10:30 AM -- he moved on top of the castle construction. Epic animation!
Last edited by rhomboidal on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:*EDIT

I think there's an off by 1 error on the forward frame functionality. You have to press rightarrow twice to get from last frame to frame 1. Getting from frame 1 to last frame with backarrow seems to work properly.

I really like that bit of functionality, and assume it's intentional. It acts as a stopper at the end of the sequence when you step through. When the right arrow repeats the image, you know you've got to the last frame. Prevents overstepping the end by mistake.

tvall

Postby tvall » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

another day of work lost to one comic..

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

Well, that escalated quickly. Lot of construction in one frame. And I can't help but feel we lost dialogue :( ... shame.

Maybe this means it's more about the construction than the two of them?

mojacardave wrote:I really like that bit of functionality, and assume it's intentional. It acts as a stopper at the end of the sequence when you step through. When the right arrow repeats the image, you know you've got to the last frame. Prevents overstepping the end by mistake.

Agreed. That stopper is needed when you're scrolling through it as much as I am!!

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:

I wonder when Primis' bandwidth will start taking a knock!?

Mithramuse

Postby Mithramuse » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

TheMulattoMaker wrote:Is he... is he- standing- on the sand castle? That's quality engineering, right there... :shock:

Well, he *is* as skinny as a stick... go figure? :P Though a bit of shock was my first impression, too.

Though I suppose that actually means that since they don't have discreetly drawn feet, the people should actually be plunging down into the sand instead, as there's no real way for what weight they do have to be distributed across even a small area. Hmmm....

Anyway, originally registered for the forum to express my joy as well that "he" returned to the frame. I also noticed that there were 666 guests viewing the forum at the time, but I think that's more coincidence than any doom-and-gloom scenario.

--Mithramuse

PS -- fixed your spelling for ya ;)

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

Hrm. Gif isn't showing the last couple pics.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:*EDIT

I think there's an off by 1 error on the forward frame functionality. You have to press rightarrow twice to get from last frame to frame 1. Getting from frame 1 to last frame with backarrow seems to work properly.

I really like that bit of functionality, and assume it's intentional. It acts as a stopper at the end of the sequence when you step through. When the right arrow repeats the image, you know you've got to the last frame. Prevents overstepping the end by mistake.

Not a bug, a feature!

I thought so at first but I keep ending up passing it regardless. Plus I think if it were a feature the same would be done for the fristframe-lastfram backwards motion.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

YellowYeti

Postby YellowYeti » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
YellowYeti wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
daef wrote:"animated shorts"

Those shorts are decidedly animationless.

As with the inappropriateness of ugmhemhe's signature, I was worried about searching "Dancing Shorts" at work. Google image search had at least 1 scantily clad underwear model in search for "animated shorts".

But had I waited till work was over I would have lost the original post in about 4 more pages of posts. This is one of those.

I hesitate to use the phrase 'quick and dirty' in relation to animated shorts

You certainly made that in a giff. You most certainly did not save it as a .gif.

<sigh> Yes it was a GIF, the uploading site decided that even though it was a GIF, and it was called .GIF, it would rename it as .jpg... but it's still a GIF

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:I thought so at first but I keep ending up passing it regardless. Plus I think if it were a feature the same would be done for the fristframe-lastfram backwards motion.

The fact that it only happens in the forward direction is what makes me think it's NOT a bug. I'd assume that if it was a coding issue, it'd be more likely to happen in both directions. If I go through the steps backwards, it's normally because I'm trying to shortcut to the last frame, so a buffer at the beginning is less important.

J L

Postby J L » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:
mojacardave wrote:There's a significant time yet before this reaches the level of work shown in 'Click and Drag' and it seems to be a sort of unofficial companion to that.

Based on...? What does it mean to be a "companion to" a comic anyway?

There's a definite similarity...

What similarity do the two share that they don't share with ALL xkcd comics, other than taking a longer time than most to put together?

The truth is, we all still know next to nothing about the total context of this comic and so any comment about what it "is" or what it "means" is strictly a statement on the observer making the claim, with insufficient evidence to draw conclusions about the comic.

I see what you mean, but in terms of general feel, at least so far, it seems to evoke the scale of Click and Drag, but stretched over time rather than space. It's pretty unlike the comics around it - it's just a pleasant scene extended to a ridiculous degree. I've no idea what's coming up, but I think I'd be surprised if the scene ended tonight.

That's exactly how I feel about it. This isn't about any "message"-reading or claim to truth, just the observation that both comics blow the usual boundary of the common panel: by either sheer size or duration; both represent windows into a much larger world, and they share that certain sense of pastoral innocence xkcd sometimes, but not always, employs. Plus, the community made it into a similar event, searching for the boundaries of that world, trying to outsmart the author, writing scripts and providing custom mods allowing an easier access and faster navigation. Both comics are much more a "happening" than a static piece of art to be consumed.

Of course it might be over tomorrow. But as has been said before, up to now it's still tiny compared to the megalomania of "Click and Drag", and it's just my personal guess that Randall likes that sort of artistic challenge, because he has accepted it before.

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

time.jpg
It's really cool if you zoom out.

Ñbrevu

Postby Ñbrevu » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

Another one who finally registers because of this comic.

This thread is, in a way, part of the comic. It's kind of a collective art form where the appreciation and the discussions about the meaning (and whether there IS a meaning) are at least as important as the comic itself (many may argue that this is a common characteristic of all art). Here we are, in this tiny corner of the internet, so astonished by the unusual way the comic presents itself, that we're desperately trying to understand it. And the way Randall did it is so simple!

THIS is why we love XKCD. This is the kind of originality that keeps us hooked, that makes us come for more thrice a week.

JaynMerry

Postby JaynMerry » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

I hope someone is grabbing all of them!
another lovely idea

Scott Auld

Postby Scott Auld » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:
time.jpg

Wait, what ... ?

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:
time.jpg

When the Click and Drag sandcastle competition was mentioned earlier in the thread, I was very tempted to go and search that comic, to see if there was any relation. I'm assuming from the fact that you've copy-pasted, there wasn't anything relevant there in the first place?

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

dammit ninja'd
...wait, what? my post just moved
Last edited by patzer on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:01 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Scott Auld

Postby Scott Auld » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

*ninja'd
Last edited by Scott Auld on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Assassine

Postby Assassine » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

you guys are fast
Last edited by Assassine on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:07 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

We're going fairly... square-y. Hmm. Interesting.

Well, intriguing at least :D

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

Bits are falling off again. Sand is a frustrating material.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:
time.jpg

Where's the +1 button for posts on this forum?
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:
time.jpg

It looks exactly the same in that copy/paste clip from click and drag as Time did 2 pics ago, ...
1298 and counting

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Wnderer wrote:
time.jpg

When the Click and Drag sandcastle competition was mentioned earlier in the thread, I was very tempted to go and search that comic, to see if there was any relation. I'm assuming from the fact that you've copy-pasted, there wasn't anything relevant there in the first place?

Not really. I think the beach with the umbrella is the closest approximation to the beach in 'Time'.
Last edited by Wnderer on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
Wnderer wrote:
time.jpg

It looks exactly the same in that copy/paste clip from click and drag as Time did 2 pics ago, ...

Nah: that's an obvious picture stitching job. Zoom in and look at the resolution of the sections.

tvall

Postby tvall » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

iisjreg wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:

once y'all manage to kill his, i have a mirror for you to also kill

edit: yeah, bad idea. i don't even have the bandwidth to be a backup... curse you randall

fetches his gif every 60 seconds if it has changed
Last edited by tvall on Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

JaynMerry

Postby JaynMerry » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

sorry - ignore my noob first post. Didn't go to the end of the thread :oops: brilliant idea!

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

tvall wrote:
iisjreg wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:

http://tvall43.info/xkcd/output.gif

Lol. Meta-meta-gif

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

tvall wrote:
iisjreg wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:

http://tvall43.info/xkcd/output.gif

Huh? Maybe I've missed something, but I'm assuming that your grabbing is just denting Primis' bandwidth more, and if we manage to kill the availability of that link, it's going to ruin your gif fetching process anyway!

Corrado

Postby Corrado » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
Wnderer wrote:
time.jpg

The intersection of Space (Click & Drag) and Time!

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:Bits are falling off again. Sand is a frustrating material.

Oh bugger!!!! I missed that. Now one of them is just going to be fixing that bit in 17 minutes time. That's no fun!!

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
kryton wrote:
Wnderer wrote:
time.jpg

Nah: that's an obvious picture stitching job. Zoom in and look at the resolution of the sections.

Egg on my face...
1298 and counting

jag426

Postby jag426 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

It's clear to me that this is the temporal companion to Click and Drag: rather than a joke, it's a scene expanded far beyond the scope of a normal comic, but rather than being expanded spatially, it's being expanded temporally.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
mojacardave wrote:
kryton wrote:
Wnderer wrote:
time.jpg

Egg on my face...

Would now be a bad time to also point out that Kryten has an 'E' in it?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”