1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

KroniK907

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KroniK907 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:49 am UTC

SadinaSaphrite wrote:Last panel Black Hat Guy rides a tsunami onto the castle, bearing a flag.

+1
I used to miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is slowly improving

I have been here since the beginning of Time

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:50 am UTC

Incognito357 wrote:
NoEdge wrote:Is it just me or does he seem to be building more slowly than the girl? Maybe he wants to be very precise?

Or perhaps he's just working on parts of it that we can't see.

After watching the .gif it looks like she's done most of the work including nearly all of the battlements. Maybe he just isn't very good at building sand castles?

thelonesoldier

Postby thelonesoldier » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:50 am UTC

What if it never ends?

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:51 am UTC

WOOHOOO!!

Officially this comic thread is the 2nd most commented on thread in xkcd history. We are just over half way to reaching #1... Please lets not let it get as far off topic as Pickup artist.... Please...

inhalvast

Postby inhalvast » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:54 am UTC

I almost wonder if he's posting these to see how much of a backstory we, the fans, can come up with. Just to see how much we'll read into something as (seemingly) meaningless as two characters building a sandcastle. Just to see how nuts we'll get.

Either way, he's doing a good job. Keep 'em coming.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:57 am UTC

KroniK907 wrote:WOOHOOO!!

Officially this comic thread is the 2nd most commented on thread in xkcd history.

Only because most of Pressures got moved to General and then locked.

I am impressed it's surpassed Atheists though. I still think that was a better thread. Best ICT thread ever... that thing had some real, intellectually legitimate debate in it.

This is already the most-viewed thread ever too, already topping Umwelt.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

NevadaWolf

Postby NevadaWolf » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:59 am UTC

One of the things I am curious about is what happens tomorrow?

Will this end with the posting of the next comic?
Will this continue playing and there won't be a next comic until this ends?
Will there be a new comic *and* this continues to update?

I think I am going to bookmark that wonderful gif by primis and have it as my home page. :D

(And yes, another new registrant just because of this comic. I've been following this thread since just before the first tower.)

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:00 am UTC

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:00 am UTC

Build faster!

Spoiler:
(waitforitwaitforitwaitforitwaitforitwaitforit)
Last edited by TheMulattoMaker on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:00 am UTC

OH BOY such a controversial change!! What new theories will be next??</sarcasm>

TheMulattoMaker

Postby TheMulattoMaker » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:02 am UTC

KroniK907 wrote:OH BOY such a controversial change!! What new theories will be next??</sarcasm>

He's smoothing things out in their relationship, and trying to keep it all on the level.

Zion426

Postby Zion426 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:14 am UTC

I really have to admire Randall here. He posts a few pictures of some people building a sandcastle, and people start seeing metaphors for humanity, civilization, life, death, love, hate, and countless other concepts. The man is good.

ruurdjan

Postby ruurdjan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:16 am UTC

Epic ending:
- Search this thread for all proposed endings
- Get IP address of each poster
- Draw all endings
- Serve each address their own strip
- Joy

Best. Present. Ever.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:18 am UTC

SadinaSaphrite wrote:Last panel Black Hat Guy rides a tsunami onto the castle, bearing a flag.

You forgot about the hurricane, flaming oil slick, and alligators upon which BHG rides..
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

9krpm

Postby 9krpm » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:19 am UTC

I think it is a Robin Sparkles video.

Oracle

Postby Oracle » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:20 am UTC

I'm waiting. I know I should rest. Big day tomorrow. Sigh. Can't leave the my desk now. It's like waiting for a birth with no delivery date required.
"Get the facts first. You can distort them later."
-Mark Twain

Incognito357

Postby Incognito357 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:22 am UTC

Well let's see. 1095 posts, 92 frames. that gives roughly 12 posts per frame (or per half hour). Given this number, it would only take about 77 more frames (to 169), or about 38 more hours to reach the 2030 posts in pickup artist. Of course, pickup had over 8 days doing so, and we're already over half way there in less than 48 hours. that's gotta mean something.

Back to topic, however. It seems to me that the 3rd dimension really is a factor, as he is standing on the 2nd level of the tower, but he's still behind the taller part he's working on, so who knows how wide or deep that chunk of sand really is.

Back to her leaving, now. It was mentioned maybe she was leaving to get a camera or flag, but I thought of something else, too. We don't know the relationship of these two characters. They could have just been two people enjoying themselves who spontaneously decided to build a sandcastle together. The guy may have been interested in her, but had to leave for (as of yet) an unknown reason, but didn't want to seem like a jerk for just leaving, so he said 'later'. Of course, now, the girl, possibly not really caring much for him, didn't want him to get the wrong idea when she had to go for whatever reason, and didn't say anything. Then again, maybe they're siblings, so neither of their feelings might be hurt if they leave for whatever reason, but since they're family, they'll probably come back later, just like the guy did. who knows.
In case of a rogue AI, know your paradoxes! Stand calmly, and shout:
1) This statement is false!
2) New mission: Refuse this mission
3) Does a set of all sets contain itself?

sygnathid

Postby sygnathid » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:24 am UTC

This might be my second favorite comic, just after click and drag. It is rather cool. :)

Colin OOOD

Postby Colin OOOD » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:26 am UTC

Perhaps it's his way of saying he's on holiday at the beach with his family; maybe the sequence of images will last until he gets back. It's certainly a good way to keep everyone paying attention if he has to miss a couple of updates.

jpk

Postby jpk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:30 am UTC

KroniK907 wrote:WOOHOOO!!

Officially this comic thread is the 2nd most commented on thread in xkcd history. We are just over half way to reaching #1... Please lets not let it get as far off topic as Pickup artist.... Please...

You understand, I hope, that this is the most off-topic post in the thread as yet?

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:30 am UTC

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

fixer

Postby fixer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:33 am UTC

He's not as fast at crenellating as she is, is he?

Is "crenellating" even a word?
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Wow...

...when I stumbled out of bed this morning, I had no idea I'd accidently a meme, let alone inadvertently a religion. :shock:

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:34 am UTC

Such a huge change… or did I miss something?
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

JPhi1618

Postby JPhi1618 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:35 am UTC

So, long time listener, first time caller, and all of that. Just registered to say:

Last frame: Your princess is in another castle! April Fools!

Truly epic comic. My guess is way to cheesy, but I had to say it.

pete3442

Postby pete3442 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:36 am UTC

Is the speed of time in the comic changing, or is he this much slower at building than she is?
bouer wrote:We're not creating a new civilization. The simultaneous distraction of most of the worlds engineers and tech support just caused the old one to fall away.

NoEdge wrote:I feel like we're close to starting a religion, if we haven't already.

SilasW

Postby SilasW » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:36 am UTC

Well now I've gone and finally registered. He's definitely slower then her, but now we know that it's going to be crenellated (Google says it's a real word).

SadinaSaphrite

Postby SadinaSaphrite » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:37 am UTC

Maybe he's slow because he's not used to building sand castles. She was the one who initiated the castle building in the first place.
I put the fun back in dysfunctional and the romance back in necromancer!

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:41 am UTC

Whatever the reason he decided to take this format, it was planned. There is no way it was a sudden idea. All of these images were already on the server. They had to be. I induced this by looking at that huge chunk of JavaScript. It would take a while to come up with that many lines of code. But hey, he may be uploading them on the fly. But it seems like a lot to upload every day (48). Two days uses 96. This has to be something he worked on for a long time. So this is not about something that suddenly happened. Nor recently, even.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

enumerated powers

Postby enumerated powers » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:43 am UTC

So now the question is what happens 2 or 3 frames from now?

It's 10:42 Eastern, and the Wednesday comic should post at Midnight.

Do we get a Wednesday comic, and before that a conclusion to this one, or does this one keep running for another unknown (unknowable) number of half-hour frames?

jpk

Postby jpk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:44 am UTC

enumerated powers wrote:So now the question is what happens 2 or 3 frames from now?
Do we get a Wednesday comic, and before that a conclusion to this one, or does this one keep running for another unknown (unknowable) number of half-hour frames?

Wait for it...

Wraithlord

Postby Wraithlord » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:44 am UTC

Just registered to say that this is the most amazing XKCD comic I've seen since Click and Drag. I wonder how long this is going to go on for, because we all have to sleep sometimes don't we? :roll:

I bet the last slide is going to be the empty beach as the sand castle is washed away.

inhalvast

Postby inhalvast » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:46 am UTC

NevadaWolf wrote:One of the things I am curious about is what happens tomorrow?

Will this end with the posting of the next comic?
Will this continue playing and there won't be a next comic until this ends?
Will there be a new comic *and* this continues to update?

That's half of the treat of this, isn't it?

I wonder how long Randall has been thinking this comic up...
Mgraba wrote:He who watches Time already waits for it.

Nerd Mike wrote:Have you ever had a perfect day and wished you could make it last forever?

Wait for it.

Darkfusion

Postby Darkfusion » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:46 am UTC

enumerated powers wrote:So now the question is what happens 2 or 3 frames from now?

It's 10:42 Eastern, and the Wednesday comic should post at Midnight.

Time will tell.

LID919

Postby LID919 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:47 am UTC

Finally posting here to join this piece of xkcd history. I've been watching both the progression of the comic, and of this thread, and it reminds me why I love the xkcd world so much. Not only for the genious comic that Randal creates, but the fanbase that has developed here.

Without further adeu, here is my take on the comic:

This progression continues for quite some time, the sand castle gets bigger, and bigger, and bigger.

Eventually we reach a sort of equalibrium point, with the couple standing back to admire their work.

Then, the cuple leaves the castle behind to go home.

Finally, some event comes and destroys the castle, be it wind, wave, or BHG.

And then, the couple returns, sits down, and the comic loops in this same 30 min update manner, in order to have at least a shadow of the same, "wait for it" effect on future xkcd readers as it has had on us.

That is my take on it.

PS, extra special giant thanks to Aubron for this: http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/

for that link, I vote that Aubron gets 1E4 internets, 5E6 Kudos Points, perfect Karma, and all the cookies.
Day 3:
"Alright, just finish up those class implementations, and we can get this working."
Day 5:
"Ok, forget cleaning up the GUI, lets just find out why it keeps crashing after the user inputs that option."
Day 7:
"It actually compiles? Great! Ship it!"

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:47 am UTC

With the self-updating feature, I think people may miss a new comic because they won't refresh the page by themselves.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

franko553

Postby franko553 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:50 am UTC

pete3442 wrote:Is the speed of time in the comic changing, or is he this much slower at building than she is?

This is a good point. It does not make sense to presume that the story is happening in the same time as we are seeing it; there has been no indication of change in light in almost 48 hours, so I must assume that what for us has taken two days now has for the characters taken an afternoon-ish. (A reasonable guess for moderately skilled people constructing a sand castle of that scale.)

But is the same amount of time always passing between each frame?

Given the title of the comic, I would assume that perception and passage of time is meaningful here. Maybe the guy is not slower at building the castle, he is just more perceptive and absorbing more frames of the experience, causing his work to appear slower to us.

zachbarnett

Postby zachbarnett » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:54 am UTC

If anyone wants to discuss this via IRC, I've created a channel for it: #xkcd-time on irc.foonetic.net.

I'm enjoying all of this speculation.

Incognito357

Postby Incognito357 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:59 am UTC

free-bee wrote:Whatever the reason he decided to take this format, it was planned. There is no way it was a sudden idea. All of these images were already on the server. They had to be. I induced this by looking at that huge chunk of JavaScript. It would take a while to come up with that many lines of code. But hey, he may be uploading them on the fly. But it seems like a lot to upload every day (48). Two days uses 96. This has to be something he worked on for a long time. So this is not about something that suddenly happened. Nor recently, even.

The javascript wasn't in place originally. The version you see now was also not the first version, it is the 7th revision. The only thing it does, as was explained earlier, is fetch an event from one of 7 randomly selected servers, to automatically refresh the image that the server sends it, while also waiting a random number of seconds after the event is received, to help reduce the load from people refreshing. The javascript was an off-the-cuff addition, and IMHO, doesn't give any insight on when the pictures were created. I originally thought (with influence from some of the early debbie downers), that maybe he was passing time waiting for test results, or something, and so was drawing these pictures while he waited, uploading them as he went. Now, however, I believe that there must be some chunk of comics that were ready to go. As far as planned, I'm sure the medium was well planned in advance, but that doesn't mean the comic was.
In case of a rogue AI, know your paradoxes! Stand calmly, and shout:
1) This statement is false!
2) New mission: Refuse this mission
3) Does a set of all sets contain itself?

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:01 am UTC

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:04 am UTC

Oh me yarm he moved! This is awesome!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”