1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

inhalvast

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby inhalvast » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:57 am UTC

Well, we find out what happens for Wednesday in a few minutes..
Last edited by inhalvast on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:01 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Mgraba wrote:He who watches Time already waits for it.

Nerd Mike wrote:Have you ever had a perfect day and wished you could make it last forever?

Wait for it.

Mgraba

Postby Mgraba » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:59 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Mgraba wrote:
mscha wrote:Looks like things are coming to an end. I'd now guess that there will be only one more update at 11:30 PM EDT, and after that, it's over and comic 1191 is posted.

Do you think so? He would have to a fit a lot of meaning into one single frame...

What makes you think there is going to be any meaning? ;)

I can only hope.
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We watch Time
We do not Sleep

xtrakeencdragon

Postby xtrakeencdragon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:59 am UTC

Longtime lurker, hitherto untested poster.
(And happily not alone in that regard)
I've been watching the forum, the comic, and primis' GIF since the fourth update(the third one anyone seems to have kept, and interrupted by some sleep and one pesky class). I actually saw the second or third and thought it was one of the simpler comics, but luckily my curiosity got the best of me.
Now I am, like so many of you, waiting for the post (or lack thereof) with sufficiently bated breath. I've given up making predictions by now. It could be anything; it could even be a boat. I may have failed a French paper I didn't write in the meantime :/ But we'll find out now...

franko553

Postby franko553 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:59 am UTC

I am still unsatisfied with the idea that this is just a fluffy piece about sand castles for anyone to interpret the way he likes. XKCD is more deliberate than that.

The title "Time", the medium of the regular updates, and the story of the beach and the sandcastle must be linked for a reason. My guess, based on what we have so far and XKCD's history, is a philosophical point about time.

I keep thinking back to the Choices series which starts, appropriately for this comic, with refreshing a webpage continuously waiting for an update.

Like with Choices, there is something significant being said here. And when it is said, I think it will be incredibly deliberate and poignant and it will be clear why the lead up was necessary.

This is not nerd-sniping. There is more to this than nerd-sniping.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:00 am UTC

Looking at the abyss the other side.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:00 am UTC

i think there is more?
I used to miss my ex girlfriend, but my aim is slowly improving

I have been here since the beginning of Time

Uninfinity

Postby Uninfinity » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:01 am UTC

Ahh his head turned. That made me jump, haha.

Nic the Man

Postby Nic the Man » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:01 am UTC

There's a new comic guys, 1191: The Past.

Xaioxaiofan

Postby Xaioxaiofan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:01 am UTC

I say! The nature of the frame has changed slightly, rendering it even more interesting!
Last edited by Xaioxaiofan on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SilasW

Postby SilasW » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:02 am UTC

But we also have a new comic... So who wants to stay up for another half an hour to see if this keeps going?

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:02 am UTC

There is another comic already posted....

EDIT: beat me to it :/

pete3442

Postby pete3442 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:02 am UTC

Nic the Man wrote:There's a new comic guys, 1191: The Past.

But the comic updated too .... Will it keep changing?
bouer wrote:We're not creating a new civilization. The simultaneous distraction of most of the worlds engineers and tech support just caused the old one to fall away.

NoEdge wrote:I feel like we're close to starting a religion, if we haven't already.

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:02 am UTC

SilasW wrote:But we also have a new comic... So who wants to stay up for another half an hour to see if this keeps going?

pretty sure this is inevitable...

inhalvast

Postby inhalvast » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:04 am UTC

SilasW wrote:But we also have a new comic... So who wants to stay up for another half an hour to see if this keeps going?

I'll be here.

Nerd Mike wrote:Have you ever had a perfect day and wished you could make it last forever?

Wait for it.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:04 am UTC

KroniK907 wrote:Image

i think there is more?

Looks that way to me....

EDIT FROM THE FUTURE: TO BLITZERS (i.e. folks starting from the beginning of the thread) -- There is a spoiler image on page 41 of the thread. It is by mojacardave (avatar currently rainbowish face with popeish hat), and is the THIRD post. Be Careful!
Last edited by buffygirl on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

xtrakeencdragon

Postby xtrakeencdragon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:04 am UTC

Well it's at least concurrent with #1191. But will it continue past it? I guess I wasn't going to bed anyway...

Pelahnar

Postby Pelahnar » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:05 am UTC

KroniK907 wrote:

Oh no, now that there is a new comic posted, _everyone_ will assume that that was the end of this one and never ever go back to that page again. (major major sarcasm)(in case you didn't pick up on that.)
zk2556 wrote:Well, you see, the problem is that there hasn't been anything dramatic happen in the last 15 newpix or so. And we internet folk have short attention spans. So, we make a new religion.

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:07 am UTC

I've been here all week

TheBauhausCure

Postby TheBauhausCure » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:08 am UTC

I think the comic will keep updating. If not, then, well...I don't regret it.

Honestly, I don't. I lost sleep, and I read this thread religiously, and I saw some beautiful minds come together to speculate the deeper meaning behind two people building a sand castle. It brought me back to high school English class, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

My fingers are crossed that it still updates, of course.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:09 am UTC

I just thought of something and I'm fairly certain it hasn't been brought up yet. What if after this comic ends in hours/days/weeks/etc. it sits dormant for, say, a couple of months and then it starts to update again? I believe this comic needs to be monitored for the rest of time, because we just don't know.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

Incognito357

Postby Incognito357 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:09 am UTC

I'm starting to think back on an earlier idea, again, in light of the new comic 'The Past', which is that the couple sent out the boy from #1. Maybe I shouldn't use the new comic to justify this theory, but I mean it makes me start leaning towards wondering if anything from previous comics, even the earliest ones, with red spiders, the boy, who knows, will come back...
In case of a rogue AI, know your paradoxes! Stand calmly, and shout:
1) This statement is false!
2) New mission: Refuse this mission
3) Does a set of all sets contain itself?

darthjimmy

Postby darthjimmy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:10 am UTC

Goggalor wrote:I just thought of something and I'm fairly certain it hasn't been brought up yet. What if after this comic ends in hours/days/weeks/etc. it sits dormant for, say, a couple of months and then it starts to update again? I believe this comic needs to be monitored for the rest of time, because we just don't know.

Oh, I'm sure someone will monitor it, even if it doesn't update.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:11 am UTC

20 minutes until we get an answer to the most fundamental question in this space-time continuum.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

TemporaryLife

Postby TemporaryLife » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:11 am UTC

On 4/01, someone is going to come across him, stuck in the sandcastle, where he's been stuck for a week.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:11 am UTC

Just like so many others, longtime reader (probably almost 2 years now) but first-time poster here. Well played, Randall, this probably sets some kind of record for most long-time visitors hauled out of lurking in a single day.

I don't think there's any personal message being told here, just a contemplative afternoon in slow motion, but it's truly an amazing thing. I love the idea, I love the little updates, and I love the zen moment in this crazy world. (Not unlike #1024!) Your work has always been awesome, Randall, but this promises to be one of my all-time favorites.

Also mad props to all of you guys who've been so busy on the forums. Since I'm on my phone I've not been able to work with either the 30m updates or the auto-updating gifs, so I greatly appreciate everyone posting the individual frames as Randall updates the comic. The reactions and speculation have been a priceless addition to the comic as well; I don't think I've laughed and nearly cried so many times in one day before. And the references. So many references. I think xkcd is entirely self-referential now; can we import soul and finish making it sentient now?

No matter what happens in the next few hours (ooh, another 30m mark passed, maybe there's another image up?!?) this is truly a special comic to remember. Thanks all!

KroniK907

Postby KroniK907 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:12 am UTC

Incognito357 wrote:I'm starting to think back on an earlier idea, again, in light of the new comic 'The Past', which is that the couple sent out the boy from #1. Maybe I shouldn't use the new comic to justify this theory, but I mean it makes me start leaning towards wondering if anything from previous comics, even the earliest ones, with red spiders, the boy, who knows, will come back...

Randall almost never references his own comics unless it is in a series... I wouldn't expect that to change now.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:12 am UTC

It almost looks like a reasonable end, with the "punchline" being something about how he's built himself into this sand castle, and now has no idea how to get out of it without destroying it. Perhaps with a moral somewhat similar to Simon & Garfunkel's* "I Am A Rock". But that wouldn't have any significant connection with "Time" that I can think of, except perhaps in the sense of "doing time." So I wouldn't expect that to be it.

* Not to be confused with Simson Garfinkel, of course.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Darkfusion

Postby Darkfusion » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:12 am UTC

I hope this comic continues to update. However, if this is the end, I enjoyed the ride. I think that was the best 48 hours on xkcd ever and registered just to post in this thread.

Find a good woman you can depend on guys and she'll help you build your own castle......forever.

Beidah

Postby Beidah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:12 am UTC

Dawn of the 3rd Day.

24 hours remaining.

inhalvast

Postby inhalvast » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:14 am UTC

Darkfusion wrote:I hope this comic continues to update. However, if this is the end, I enjoyed the ride. I think that was the best 48 hours on xkcd ever and registered just to post in this thread.

I have a gut feeling it won't stop updating. Don't know why.

Wait for it.

pete3442

Postby pete3442 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:14 am UTC

KroniK907 wrote:Randall almost never references his own comics unless it is in a series... I wouldn't expect that to change now.

Except that http://xkcd.com/1/ is referenced in 1110 (http://imgs.xkcd.com/clickdrag/1n48e.png)...
bouer wrote:We're not creating a new civilization. The simultaneous distraction of most of the worlds engineers and tech support just caused the old one to fall away.

NoEdge wrote:I feel like we're close to starting a religion, if we haven't already.

zk2556

Postby zk2556 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:15 am UTC

Beidah wrote:Dawn of the 3rd Day.

24 hours remaining.

is why this forum needs a "like" button.

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:16 am UTC

I've got a feeling that the last slide will be an obvious ending (like THE END). Just a thought.
Razzle Storm wrote:Used to be Christian, then I read the Bible.

Nic the Man

Postby Nic the Man » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:17 am UTC

Pelahnar wrote:
KroniK907 wrote:

Oh no, now that there is a new comic posted, _everyone_ will assume that that was the end of this one and never ever go back to that page again. (major major sarcasm)(in case you didn't pick up on that.)

I wonder if maybe the slight head turn was a subtle change, so that anyone who is truly paying attention or is following on the forum knows there's still more to come, but those who are only checking in periodically may not have noticed, think nothing's changed, refresh the page, see the new comic and think it's all over.

Or maybe this has to do with childbirth. How the clock ticks over, a new day is born, and while the changes are only subtle life is compl--ehhhhhhhh I'm getting bored of philosophising. I'll leave it to you guys who are a lot more interesting ;)

davidy22

Postby davidy22 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:18 am UTC

RANDALL.

PLEASE.

STOP.

THE WIKI SERVER IS DYING.

HAVE MERCY.

yaddayadda

Postby yaddayadda » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:18 am UTC

zk2556 wrote:
Beidah wrote:Dawn of the 3rd Day.

24 hours remaining.

is why this forum needs a "like" button.

Yes, and for Aubron putting together xkcd dot aubronwood dot com

Robotbeat

Postby Robotbeat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:22 am UTC

I think the reason behind this comic could be more heavyhearted than all of you are thinking. It's a sad ending, with the male figure alone with the castle he built with the female figure; the female figure didn't say goodbye (and didn't imply she'd be coming back).

Beidah

Postby Beidah » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:24 am UTC

Robotbeat wrote:I think the reason behind this comic could be more heavyhearted than all of you are thinking. It's a sad ending, with the male figure alone with the castle he built with the female figure; the female figure didn't say goodbye (and didn't imply she'd be coming back).

Or it's just a story about two people who built a sandcastle together. For all we know, it isn't finish, so just... Wait for it.

inhalvast

Postby inhalvast » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:26 am UTC

Beidah wrote:
Robotbeat wrote:I think the reason behind this comic could be more heavyhearted than all of you are thinking. It's a sad ending, with the male figure alone with the castle he built with the female figure; the female figure didn't say goodbye (and didn't imply she'd be coming back).

Or it's just a story about two people who built a sandcastle together. For all we know, it isn't finish, so just... Wait for it.

But what if I don't want to?

For all we know, Randall has developed a time-hack which allows us to float freely throughout the -time end of the space-time continuum. It will *most likely* need a cup of tea, three ocelots, a sandcastle, and a 4G connection...

Wait for it.

Darkfusion

Postby Darkfusion » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:26 am UTC

My thought too. I posted that a good woman can help you build a castle that can last forever, but here, the woman left him.

I really hope Randall posts posts an animated gif or similar. New visitors will have lost all the meaning without it.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”